Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Cost versus value:

quote:

2D platforming is a simple genre by todays standards with loads of excellent option under $20. The amount of time and the amount of fun I get from 2D platforming games is just far less than a open 3D game, and they're much cheaper to develop too. I just don't think they're worth as much. They're not worthless, but if I'm spending $50 or $60 I want maximum time and fun and no matter how good a 2D platformer is, it's never standing up to other genres. My opinion is just 1 person, but I wish Nintendo would drop their arrogant 'our games are better and thus worth more' mentality. They're not. Hot Shots golf and Ratchet & Clank PS4 are better games than Kirby, yet those came in at $40 and look like they took way more work. I want to play Kirby, but not if I have to give up a $60 game for it. I think Nintendo needs to focus on the wider audience and stop focusing on those 'whale' consumers who buy every Nintendo game without question. If they want to point at Kirby or Yoshi as their big Q1 titles then I think they will lose a lot of momentum, especially with PS4 reestablishing itself in killer beast mode.

See this kind of thinking is what gave us games with open-world padding and 3D platformer collecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
What the hell is wrong with the people over there at Resetera.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Uhh who cares what some random internet person thinks though?? Obviously the vast vast majority of people don't agree with that sentiment and that kind of "thinking" has not tainted the purity of gaming or whatever

Not even remotely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingEup posted:

What the hell is wrong with the people over there at Resetera.

They came from gaf

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Uhh who cares what some random internet person things though?? Obviously the vast vast majority of people don't agree with that sentiment

Not even remotely

I grew out of dumpster diving for lovely opinions

Now I make my own

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
2D platformers rule though and Nintendo's tend to be really long so even if you judge games solely by dollars per hour they're fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Lobster posted:

So I missed the saga of the Goon On the Train but like? I have seen kids playing the Switch irl and I have just gone up to them and just asked what they are playing and I am a 30 year old woman? Now I'm worried I'm giving off pedo vibes. :ohdear:

Not quite a saga, I just asked a question, but what I also failed to mention is that there were a bunch of other people on the train, including people between me and Switch-Dude.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think it's an age thing because when I was in high school crazy high play times and tons of CONTENT were selling points because I wanted bang for my buck but now I want things to be short enough that I'll actually finish them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only appropriate time to talk to a person playing a Switch is during rooftop parties.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IntelligenTom/status/958519210174369792

I feel emotionally exhausted.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

nachos posted:

Radiant Historia is insanely good

It really, really is.

I'd recommend playing on hard for most of the game, since it makes you take advantage of the battle system in a way without it being unfairly challenging. There comes a point near the very end where some bosses on hard require an insane amount of grinding and luck, so just switch back down to normal for those.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Cost versus value:

See this kind of thinking is what gave us games with open-world padding and 3D platformer collecting.

This kind of thing is really weird to me because I'm completely opposite of this mindset. My valuation of games is related to how much fun I have with them, to the point where I think super mario world is still a $60 game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

In a post-Super Mario Maker world, no platformer ever compared

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
We live in a time where the diversity of games is mind-boggling, where you can find piles and piles of titles that will resonate with your tastes no matter what, where this number grows exponentially every year (ok maybe thats a bit hyperbolic but you get the idea)

It's kinda like laser-focusing on how poo poo radio music was or has become when the actual musical world has exploded into hundreds of thousands of niche online communities pumping out all sorts of amazing content that you would 100% love but simply will never have time to fully explore. Sure the AAA games might lean towards certain trends at times (lootboxes ugh) but no one anywhere is starving for more quality content to play

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Let's cancel the games industry before everything turns into lootboxes, we have enough games. No new gaming hardware except faster models of Switch, and no new game development except for porting existing games to Switch. Bonus, in 10 years Moore's Law will make every game playable on the go.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We should end society so we all have more time to play all these drat video games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Added to the plan. We execute the day after Death Stranding releases.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

We live in a time where the diversity of games is mind-boggling, where you can find piles and piles of titles that will resonate with your tastes no matter what, where this number grows exponentially every year (ok maybe thats a bit hyperbolic but you get the idea)

It's kinda like laser-focusing on how poo poo radio music was or has become when the actual musical world has exploded into hundreds of thousands of niche online communities pumping out all sorts of amazing content that you would 100% love but simply will never have time to fully explore. Sure the AAA games might lean towards certain trends at times (lootboxes ugh) but no one anywhere is starving for more quality content to play

Yeah I kind of haven't come to terms with this. My Wii U, 3ds, and steam libraries are crammed full of games that have great reputations and certainly seem like great games, but I haven't played them because I don't have the time. My Switch is starting to fill up with those already too. There's too many Good games. I need to sort through the games that are Good and worth buying, before I buy them.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

If I were for some reason never allowed to buy another video game again from this day forward and I had to make do with what I have purchased on Steam and various consoles in my collection, I would 100% be able to fill the rest of my life with good games and I'm not even that old yet. It helps that I have a habit of buying games and not playing a good 70% of them so plenty of them would be New To Me (TM).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just paid ninety Canadian earth dollars for a copy of Disgaea 5 so I fully expect it to go on sale next week.

Wish I had been able to grab a copy for Black Friday but it was only $20 in the 'States :[

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Does the PS4 really have anything cool this year? Not that I don't have problems with the rest of that post, but I don't really know what else is even coming for the PS4 this year. At least with Switch I kinda know some things exist.

RZA Encryption posted:

This kind of thing is really weird to me because I'm completely opposite of this mindset. My valuation of games is related to how much fun I have with them, to the point where I think super mario world is still a $60 game.

Basically same, but in uh an opposite direction? There's games I spent $60 on and they'd an okay 15-30 hours, and then one of my favorite games that I've spent thousands of hours on had only cost me like $15.

So trying to evaluate time out of a game with money always sucks. I'd rather spend any time and any money on games I'll actually like, cause there's no point in worrying about the money or time if it's good enough. Makes it so I don't play as many games as everyone else I guess but I still feel satisfied with the stuff I buy/play.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Finally got around to Battle Chef Brigade and trip report: it's real good y'all.

I'm not much for match 3 puzzlers, but I was surprised that you could weave in and out of cooking-puzzling and combat so fluidly, I'd assumed they were discrete separate sections.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/958521486897287168

The system works.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ventana posted:

Does the PS4 really have anything cool this year?

Uh yeah, plenty.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ventana posted:

Does the PS4 really have anything cool this year? Not that I don't have problems with the rest of that post, but I don't really know what else is even coming for the PS4 this year. At least with Switch I kinda know some things exist.

God of War, Spiderman, and Yakuza 6 are the exclusives on my list for this year. Shadow of the Colossus is also getting a much needed facelift into modern territory next week.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There are like two dozen different PS4 games (with a bunch that are exclusive/console exclusive) that I want to get in 2018. It's wild as gently caress and hard to figure out what I'll have to cut.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

I think it's an age thing because when I was in high school crazy high play times and tons of CONTENT were selling points because I wanted bang for my buck but now I want things to be short enough that I'll actually finish them.

Also like 12 games came out in a quarter instead of 1200

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I've already bought Monster Hunter World and Shadow of the Colossus for my PS4 this year and I'm sure I'll buy a lot more before the year is out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sleep Kirby is a qt

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of Kirby, any particular reason to play triple deluxe rather than going straight for robobot?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The madmen, they gave it an actual moveset!

Motto posted:

Speaking of Kirby, any particular reason to play triple deluxe rather than going straight for robobot?

If you like Kirby games, you certainly won't have a bad time with it. Robobot is just much better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Policenaut posted:

There are like two dozen different PS4 games (with a bunch that are exclusive/console exclusive) that I want to get in 2018. It's wild as gently caress and hard to figure out what I'll have to cut.

Yep I chose to cut Sony for this year and MH World instantly made me regret it, people are loving it

oh well at least it's not an exclusive, I can wait a year I guess and maybe pick up a pro later down the line if GPU prices don't sit the gently caress down

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I left my Ps4 in America and regret it. But I've gotten to spend a lot of quality time with my Switch and make headway in my backlog (though my Ps4 backlog is becoming untenable).

Anyway, Battle Chef Brigade was great. I actually played through it twice, once on normal and again on hard because after the first playthrough I thought I had just got a handle on how the game works.

Going through Golf Story right now and the gameplay is addictive. Some of the holes are loving assholes to beat though. But I'm having a great time regardless.

After that, I'll play Steamworld Dig 2, then finally finish BotW.

Doubt I can do that before Bayonetta 1 + 2 come out but I'll try!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I kind of haven't come to terms with this. My Wii U, 3ds, and steam libraries are crammed full of games that have great reputations and certainly seem like great games, but I haven't played them because I don't have the time. My Switch is starting to fill up with those already too. There's too many Good games. I need to sort through the games that are Good and worth buying, before I buy them.

i think the older i get, the happier i am having fewer games in the backlog. nowadays my steam library is vaguely depressing to look at: i scroll up and down and the range is intimidating rather than pleasant.

my resolution this year is to only buy one game a month, unless i totally clock it or there's a ridiculous significant reason not to (cheap party multiplayer games, drunken fun times, etc etc.)

CELESTE has been the only game i bought since christmas last year and has occupied all of my game time since i got it. i've got other stuff on the wishlist, like Darkest Dungeon and Dead Cells whenever that drops, but for now i am more than happy trying to get all those bloody strawberries.

though: poo poo's gonna get real in March though when the Dark Souls remaster comes out. if Mario Tennis Aces is any good there are going to be some TUFF DECISIONS in the future.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Motto posted:

Triple Deluxe is insanely good is the reason, and better than Robobot in some areas (boss fights, soundtrack)

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Motto posted:

Triple Deluxe rules and is worth your time but I'd definitely prioritize Robobot, it'd be a shame if you burnt yourself out before you got to it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You have nothing to worry about. Bootleg Switch carts aren’t even a thing yet.

I got the 2nd hand botw in what felt like a drug deal - i put up on a local fb group saying I'm willing to buy a preloved at usd45, and someone with an almost empty profile texts me to sell at usd35 at a mcdonald's nearby. I brought a friend with me to make sure i wasn't going to get mugged, but it turns out to be a shifty looking teenage kid who i suspect stole it from his brother? he never sat down, just took the money after i tested the game, said "thanks" and ran off.

super unhappy that saves do not transfer through cartridges, so i don't have a Ben Drowns save file in there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

i think the older i get, the happier i am having fewer games in the backlog. nowadays my steam library is vaguely depressing to look at: i scroll up and down and the range is intimidating rather than pleasant.

my resolution this year is to only buy one game a month, unless i totally clock it or there's a ridiculous significant reason not to (cheap party multiplayer games, drunken fun times, etc etc.)

CELESTE has been the only game i bought since christmas last year and has occupied all of my game time since i got it. i've got other stuff on the wishlist, like Darkest Dungeon and Dead Cells whenever that drops, but for now i am more than happy trying to get all those bloody strawberries.

though: poo poo's gonna get real in March though when the Dark Souls remaster comes out. if Mario Tennis Aces is any good there are going to be some TUFF DECISIONS in the future.

Yeah. Night in the Woods was gonna be my only game this month, but then people started talking up Celeste, and it looks right up my alley. Then Bayonetta next month since I never played either of those. Then Dark Souls, which I never played, and Tropical Freeze, which I have played but can't resist rebuying. Hyrule Warriors Deluxe is one that I said I've wanted for a while but will probably let slip just because of time prioritization.

You're right about the tough decisions. I'm enjoying Xenoblade 2 for the most part, but that games got problems and drags enough in places that when it's all said and done I probably would have rather played Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story for less time and money.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So Celeste got the "five hours in airports and flying" treatment and it held up very well. It's a punishing, pixel-perfect platformer with apparently endless layers of challenge and difficulty.

I found and cleared the first world's B-Side, but haven't gone to the others I've discovered yet, the main game's proven challenge enough. I like that the game's main collectible is entirely an optional test of your skill -- there are some strawberries I just could not get, particularly in the 4-bit mode.

All the praise that's been levied applies to Celeste, it's a very solid game, particularly for its price. Don't get it if you hate dying, get it if you love seeing mechanics built upon, because the whole game is basically "let's test this gameplay concept to its absolute limits and also add more spikes". My gripes? Diagonal dashing is finicky. Sometimes I dash diagonally when I don't want to, sometimes I dash when I do, sometimes my dash falls short and sometimes I manage to just land exactly where I need to be. Momentum matters in Celeste but at times it can be hard to determine how that momentum is feeding into your character.

That said, I love how there's still a sense of exploration even if the game is really strictly challenge-based. It requires both mastery of platforming and also a bit of puzzle solving logic, as you have to determine -- and then execute -- an often very exact sequence of actions to get to your goal, and hesitation or a wrong input can result in disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DLC Inc posted:

God of War, Spiderman, and Yakuza 6 are the exclusives on my list for this year. Shadow of the Colossus is also getting a much needed facelift into modern territory next week.

I did forget about the new God of War, though still not sure if it's gonna be any good (though I am interested in the new direction). But aside from that and KH3, nothing else is exciting me on ps4. Looks like it'll be an okay year, though I wouldn't really call it killer

• Locked thread