Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

He is a fantasy author, guilty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ostiosis posted:

He is a fantasy author, guilty!

One thing I admire about Scalzi is that he married a woman who is so much larger and more masculine than him that you know there’s no danger he’s in to abusing powerless young women. Pegging, for sure, abuse of power, no way.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm going to hate read the third book, but I'm not going to spend any money on it, I'm going to get it from my local library. But of course by read the third book I mean not read it because its never coming out and there is no third book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bardeh posted:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

I think 'domestic abuser' is egging the pudding a little bit, but he doesn't really sound like a very nice bloke (presuming all the nebulous allegations in this post are true).

I tried to read that but it was so vaguely written I had a hard time figuring out what precisely it was trying to say. Who is it accusing and what specifically are the allegations?

The conduct described sounds like it could fall anywhere on the spectrum from "He's Just Not That Into You" to "Narcissist Boyfriend" to "Manipulative deceit rapist". Is there something more concrete in there that I missed?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 29, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pash posted:

I'm going to hate read the third book, but I'm not going to spend any money on it, I'm going to get it from my local library. But of course by read the third book I mean not read it because its never coming out and there is no third book.

I'm gonna have to read it. Sort of like when I go past the first 5 episodes of a show I have to finish out the season no matter how bad it is. I made it through The Finder, I can make it through this fantasy series.

If it ever comes out.

It won't.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pash posted:

Also, libraries will no longer exist by then.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not interested in reading the book.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm probably going to read it eventually,once my library or its ebook service have it to read, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I tried to read that but it was so vaguely written I had a hard time figuring out what precisely it was trying to say. Who is it accusing and what specifically are the allegations?

The conduct described sounds like it could fall anywhere on the spectrum from "He's Just Not That Into You" to "Narcissist Boyfriend" to "Manipulative deceit rapist". Is there something more concrete in there that I missed?

Apparently a bad break up makes you a domestic abuser.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
It's getting to the point where some sort of social contract may be required for this sex thing. Maybe Fiverr?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Benson Cunningham posted:

Apparently a bad break up makes you a domestic abuser.

It absolutely might? But, like, I can't even figure out whether the essay is trying to allege that or not.

My critique here is almost wholly stylistic. I feel like there's a whole genre of vague complaint writing that I'm not sure how to parse or interpret. It's like vaguebooking meets the essay format.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 29, 2018

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm going to read it so I can post in here about it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What are the odds of ghostwriting being the solution here. I'd say fairly high

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

HIJK posted:

Not sure what you're talking about, the whole thing is written. The only reason it's been almost 7 years between releases is because

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

HIJK posted:

I'd like to see the ghostwriter trying to ape Rothfuss who won't be immediately found out for being either too good at writing or not the right kind of bad at writing. Maybe that neural network, it produces metaphors roughly as nonsensical.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was at a Half Price Books yesterday wandering the aisles, trying to look up things on Goodreads because I didn't have anything specific in mind.

There were a number of complaints about books whose ideologies had not aged well. Though we may be jumping at shadows about it now, I do agree that the '70s and the '50s fostered more, potentially subconscious, racist/sexist/xenophobic sentiments than we support today. I had to take those complaints under careful consideration.

There were also a number of "compliments" by Rothfuss himself. Always as the top review. I read those with morbid fascination, much like I did his second book, then removed the books the reviews were ostensibly about from my consideration.

Better Than Rothfuss: I recently came across astonishingly-prolific musician Paul Shapera. He seems to like to write musicals. Many of them appear to follow an intra-narrative thread. I haven't payed close attention to most of them yet, but I gave Miss Helen's Weird West Cabaret half a listen, and it's got:
  • Meta-narrative intrigue: the in-story actors of the cabaret feel trapped in a play themselves, that play being the musical that I was listening to.
  • Trope self-awarness: the actress playing the evil mystical Oriental is sick of how racist and hacked-out that old stereotype is.
  • Diversity of races and sexual identities: The song that got me to buy the album (and like 20 others; did I mention that this guy actually practices his craft?) is about a were-homo whose alter-ego can save the town but ruins his romantic relationships.
  • Subtextual self-awareness: Another character points out that even the above song is problematic because it paints the above character's sexual liberation as a ruinous thing which must be repressed. I must admit that I missed this subtext as I'm not used to albums having subtext and also I was distracted by the brass section.
Oh, and it does one tiny little other thing, which maybe isn't so important with regard to storytelling but kind of makes sense if you're writing an album: it has good music.

I don't tend to raise my hackles about Rothfuss that much since he's not at the forefront of popular consciousness anymore, but it does boil my blood when I see somebody accomplish all the things Rothfuss gets praise for and then remember that all the accolades are wasted on him.

Gruh.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If that's your typical response to things Rothfuss tries to emulate and utterly fails at, don't ever venture anywhere near anything by Gene Wolfe.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So they're apparently making movies out of this series right? So Rothfuss can just wait for Hollywood writers to make the third books as a TV show for him, then take the bits he likes and write that as the book and say it was his idea all along.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Apparently it used to name China Mieville specifically but then he set some lawyers on her and she removed his name. As for the content - yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. It's hard to actually work out what he's supposed to have done in that great big mess of words, but as best as I can tell he was really charming and nice until he got her into bed and then wasn't after that? And was cheating on her with other people at the same time? I couldn't really glean anything more concrete than that. So yeah, manipulative user maybe, but 'domestic abuser'?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

It absolutely might? But, like, I can't even figure out whether the essay is trying to allege that or not.

My critique here is almost wholly stylistic. I feel like there's a whole genre of vague complaint writing that I'm not sure how to parse or interpret. It's like vaguebooking meets the essay format.

Bidisha is shocking writer though:

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/bidisha

Her work is to popular feminism what rotthfus is to well written love scenes.

No idea if accusations are true or false or even keen on knowing

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ccs posted:

So they're apparently making movies out of this series right? So Rothfuss can just wait for Hollywood writers to make the third books as a TV show for him, then take the bits he likes and write that as the book and say it was his idea all along.

Yeah with Lin-Manuel Mirana leading the project

there's a quote from him about how the Kingkiller books are the most frequently re-read books in his household or something which tells you a lot about Lin-Manuel Mirana, and his house

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah with Lin-Manuel Mirana leading the project

there's a quote from him about how the Kingkiller books are the most frequently re-read books in his household or something which tells you a lot about Lin-Manuel Mirana, and his house

Sam Raimi to direct ... is that good? Is it evil dead Sam or transformers Sam?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

anilEhilated posted:

If that's your typical response to things Rothfuss tries to emulate and utterly fails at, don't ever venture anywhere near anything by Gene Wolfe.

I'm in a Gene Wolfe reading group and this has been the topic of the last two weeks.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

Why do you think it gets me so worked up?

As you can see, I have no problem enjoying genre fiction as genre fiction.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm in a Gene Wolfe reading group and this has been the topic of the last two weeks.

And everyone is suitably... critical. Right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hammer Bro. posted:

And everyone is suitably... critical. Right?

Sure. It's just a lot of being baffled by how other authors can say with a straight face that Rothfuss is something special and by how Wolfe doesn't seem to be well known outside of very specific circles.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

branedotorg posted:

Sam Raimi to direct ... is that good? Is it evil dead Sam or transformers Sam?
Do you think that Sam Raimi is Michael Bay?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Raimi had a hand in the television masterwork that was Legend of the Seeker, so maybe this will be like that.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Do you think that Sam Raimi is Michael Bay?

Lindsey Beer wrote Transformers: The Last Knight, and is writing the Rothfuss script.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sure. It's just a lot of being baffled by how other authors can say with a straight face that Rothfuss is something special and by how Wolfe doesn't seem to be well known outside of very specific circles.

Wolfe requires thinking and Rothfuss is, as was astutely pointed out here, Twilight for Boys

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Wolfe requires thinking and Rothfuss is, as was astutely pointed out here, Twilight for Boys

I wouldn't say that. Things actually happened in Twilight.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Now now let's not get hasty comparing Kingkiller to Twilight.

Twilight actually finished.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ccs posted:

Now now let's not get hasty comparing Kingkiller to Twilight.

Twilight actually finished.

:master:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

didnt she even write a 4th twilight book and then not release it because she got mad about it getting leaked?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Well, Meyer wrote and released a fourth Twilight book; it was called Breaking Dawn. The leaked manuscript was for a spinoff called Midnight Sun that would have retold the first book's story from Edward's perspective. She only made it a few chapters in before the leak.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 31, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

didnt she even write a 4th twilight book and then not release it because she got mad about it getting leaked?

That makes her smart.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Yeah, I'm also having difficulty unpacking this. It's trying to be too literary (maybe?). Like, what exactly is her allegation? If she said anything concrete I'd be willing to listen and take her seriously, but she seems to be constantly circling the issue, and all I can see is a nebulous claim of emotional abuse. Her big claim seems to be that she was implicitly lied to because he misrepresented the sort of person he is. I really don't like that she tried to tacitly call this rape by linking that article which opens with the explicit example of a woman having sex with someone in exchange for a favor which they don't deliver. Without getting into an argument about sex work, I hope we can all agree that if Person A offers Person B something concrete for sex in a directly transactional exchange (gently caress me and I'll put you in this movie), Person A not following through essentially means they stole the sex from Person B, which is rape. Finding out that the person you're in a relationship is isn't who you thought they were in a "I don't like their character" sense is not rape. It's how a lot of relationships end. The idea that if you don't have perfect knowledge of the people you sleep with precludes you from giving consent essentially means that no one can ever give consent. I'm totally willing to accept that he could be an rear end in a top hat as a person, but being an rear end in a top hat isn't really a crime.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

That makes her smart.

if rothfuss was smart he would write one chapter of the third book, "leak" it, then get mad and say he's never releasing it. everybody wins

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope the screen adaption shows that Kvothe actually is an unreliable narrator through the facial expressions of disgust on everyone he talks to. Even better, everyone in the first two books is in on a great big practical joke, pretending to humour the precocious prodigy while secretly setting him up for failure. In the third book, he uses his sex ninja training to fight an ancient evil (that he unwittingly released in the first place) and gets his rear end whipped so hard that he loses his music and magic and unleashes a plague of demon spiders on the world. In the final chapter, Bast convinces Kvothe to challenge the Chandrian to a final showdown, only to stab him in the back (to his face!) at the last minute. Satisfied with the sacrifice, the Chandrian clean up the demon spider mess before loving off and everyone is happy again, the end.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 31, 2018

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

"We intentionally trained him wrong, as a joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Sam Raimi directed Legend of the Seeker, the TV show 'based' on the Sword of Truth series (fantasy bondage Randism)

There is no more fitting punishment a man like Rothfuss could receive.