Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The amount of ingenuity some people do amazes me.

I wonder how the trailer wiring looks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Prius battery packs aren't that big, Nissan leafs hold their value down to crash salvage because they've got a decent size battery and the electronics are hackable. Hell I'd happily re-home the internals in any one of a dozen protect ideas, y'know, apart from lack of funds/space/skill/time

I like the guy who stuffed a Leaf drivetrain into the rear of a shortened VW microbus. Ended up with a lot more power and torque than the original flat 4 for sure.

That's going to have to be for a really, really light weight trailer. I especially admire the all-thread diagonal braces just bent around things. At least find a friend with a welder?

LifeSunDeath posted:

someone spent time on this. what is it even attached to?

Lexus RX300, looks like. There has to be an aftermarket hitch for those. They're supposedly an SUV.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I can't get over the fact that this was done by someone who knew what threaded rod was, how to use it and the importance of washers : they must have enough technical skill to be aware of all this, yet still put it together into something like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

The amount of ingenuity some people do amazes me.

I wonder how the trailer wiring looks. :v:

I'm more amazed at the amount of effort people will go to, to not do it right.
A hitch for my Crown Vic was all of $100 on Amazon, and Prime shipping.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Lexus RX300, looks like. There has to be an aftermarket hitch for those. They're supposedly an SUV.

There is...depending on year it is like $159 or something. I just find it funny that someone probably spent 3 trips to the hardware store and half a weekend concocting this abortion on toast.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

I can't get over the fact that this was done by someone who knew what threaded rod was, how to use it and the importance of washers : they must have enough technical skill to be aware of all this, yet still put it together into something like that.

Could be someone who works with commercial ducting? Lots of folks have specific knowledge, and only that knowledge, and apply it to everything. If all you have is a hammer...
That's why I like being a Jack Of All Trades, and interested in all manner of stuff. I still have blind spots, of course, but I tend to research how others have tackled a problem before.

edit:

Colostomy Bag posted:

There is...depending on year it is like $159 or something. I just find it funny that someone probably spent 3 trips to the hardware store and half a weekend concocting this abortion on toast.

Exactly. And it'll probably twist into a pretzel with just the weight of the trailer. Reminds me of the gooseneck hitch bolted to the tailgate of a Blazer that's been posted before.
And that's a hell of a metaphor.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 30, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I'm more amazed at the amount of effort people will go to, to not do it right.
A hitch for my Crown Vic was all of $100 on Amazon, and Prime shipping.

Mine came with a class III from the cop shop :smug:

Uhaul still won't give me anything bigger than their smallest motorcycle trailer, though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Would be even better if he hauls his HVAC trailer full of supplies and tools with it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Mine came with a class III from the cop shop :smug:

Uhaul still won't give me anything bigger than their smallest motorcycle trailer, though.

Uhaul are such goddamned idiots.
It's got a V8 and a full frame. A Crown Vic can haul/tow as much as a lot of pickups and SUVs. Mine barely notices the 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer.

edit: factory tow rating is 1500 pounds, apparently due to the Watts linkage rear suspension in the '03+. The earlier ones with triangulated 4-link were rated to 5000 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch and trailer brakes.
We've already established that US tow ratings are reduced due to people being dumbasses when towing, versu UK/EU ratings. Probably also partly due to the prevalence of high-speed highways in the US, but mostly "dumbass".

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 30, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The post that the picture came from says the guy rolled up to a uhaul rental place and wanted a 6'x12' trailer.

I still remember the time I saw a snowmobile trailer explode on the highway. Someone was using a sled trailer with like 12" wheels and a deck much wider than the axle to move all of their roofing equipment for the day. Multiple ladders, tarpaper, shingles, buckets of tar. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds of weight. The little trailer couldn't take it anymore and the wheels exploded, taking the entire plywood deck with it and sending debris a good 30ft into the air.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I hate uhaul but it is probably because of liability reasons. I like playing the "gassing up the vehicle game" to reach the exact mark on where it was before you drove it off the lot. Amazing how they hand it over with 1/8 of a tank.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

The post that the picture came from says the guy rolled up to a uhaul rental place and wanted a 6'x12' trailer.

I still remember the time I saw a snowmobile trailer explode on the highway. Someone was using a sled trailer with like 12" wheels and a deck much wider than the axle to move all of their roofing equipment for the day. Multiple ladders, tarpaper, shingles, buckets of tar. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds of weight. The little trailer couldn't take it anymore and the wheels exploded, taking the entire plywood deck with it and sending debris a good 30ft into the air.

The little trailer that couldn't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, no. If the won't give MGS a small trailer with a proper hitch on his CV, they better not give this joker *anything*, and rightly so. The tongue weight would bend that atrocity to the ground.

quote:

My favorite is seeing dual axle trailers with *camber* and imagining how much weight was needed to cause that - and being glad I wasn't anywhere near it when it was loaded like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In 1995 CVs had a 5k towing capacity, down to 3500 by 2001, then with the 2003+ refresh Ford dropped it to 1500, citing the rear watts linkage as the weak point. However, isn't it the same engine and rear end as a base V8 F150? I hear stories about people using their CVs to tow other CVs or even boats just fine (as long as you have the additional transmission cooler, which a P71 already has). Fukn Ford/Uhaul.

On the Lexus, the reddit thread stated that, of course, the customer threw a shitfit but they still refused him. I'm confused about what the brackets are attached to, or even how the brackets came into being. Like, where did they come from? Who decided to shape them? Did the guy get them waterjet cut but then just cheap out and buy threaded rod, or is this some sort of 2nd hand Lexus owner who is also a hillbilly? EDIT: poo poo, I didn't even look at the rear one, only the front. So, like, aluminum/pot metal bar stock?

Off-topic, my favorite lovely uhaul story, because it's personal. My (now ex-) fiancee was moving from New York to Phoenix, through Idaho. She had a 1998 Ford Explorer, and the uhaul shop in NY was more than happy to let her buy, and install, a trailer hitch and boxed trailer for the move. She made it to the Chicago area when the trailer had a brake or tire failure, so she dragged it to the nearest Uhaul shop to get the trailer repaired or swapped out. They saw that she had a Ford Explorer, of the flipping-over variety no less, and refused to let her leave with the trailer. She had to (in the age before mass cellphone adoption) find and call a Penske location to bring a trailer to the Uhaul store so she could swap her poo poo over, and she continued on her way a day later after having to sleep with her poo poo in the lot to prevent it being stolen.

gently caress Uhaul (and their hyphenated name)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 30, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, no. If the won't give MGS a small trailer with a proper hitch on his CV, they better not give this joker *anything*, and rightly so. The tongue weight would bend that atrocity to the ground.

Pretty sure the picture was taken and immediately sent to higher ups for when the customer threw a poo poo fit.

"I'd love to rent you a trailer sir, but legally...there's no hitch on your vehicle"

I'm confused about what the brackets are attached to, or even how the brackets came into being. Like, where did they come from? Who decided to shape them?

I'll bet you it they were made from scraps of sheet steel and a hand drill

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I hate uhaul but it is probably because of liability reasons. I like playing the "gassing up the vehicle game" to reach the exact mark on where it was before you drove it off the lot. Amazing how they hand it over with 1/8 of a tank.

Yeah, but their assessment of liability is garbage. I need to swap my Jeep's soft top for the plastic hard top to rent a trailer from them, for example. The completely non-structural, "held on with two clamps and 6 bolts in the back" hard top. Or how you can rent a trailer for a Mercury Mountaineer but not a Ford Explorer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Godholio posted:

Yeah, but their assessment of liability is garbage. I need to swap my Jeep's soft top for the plastic hard top to rent a trailer from them, for example. The completely non-structural, "held on with two clamps and 6 bolts in the back" hard top. Or how you can rent a trailer for a Mercury Mountaineer but not a Ford Explorer.

Probably because they buy the cheapest rear end insurance they can to compete at the bargain bin levels. And combine a level of risk. Your soft top is probably excluded because if a trailer tire blows up causing the vehicle to overturn you might be ejected out of the top if not wearing a seat belt.

As for the Mountaineer...Probably an actuary thing. Mercury owners are probably more up on maintaining their vehicles vs. pleb Ford owners.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

In 1995 CVs had a 5k towing capacity, down to 3500 by 2001, then with the 2003+ refresh Ford dropped it to 1500, citing the rear watts linkage as the weak point. However, isn't it the same engine and rear end as a base V8 F150? I hear stories about people using their CVs to tow other CVs or even boats just fine (as long as you have the additional transmission cooler, which a P71 already has). Fukn Ford/Uhaul.

On the Lexus, the reddit thread stated that, of course, the customer threw a shitfit but they still refused him. I'm confused about what the brackets are attached to, or even how the brackets came into being. Like, where did they come from? Who decided to shape them? Did the guy get them waterjet cut but then just cheap out and buy threaded rod, or is this some sort of 2nd hand Lexus owner who is also a hillbilly? EDIT: poo poo, I didn't even look at the rear one, only the front. So, like, aluminum/pot metal bar stock?

Off-topic, my favorite lovely uhaul story, because it's personal. My (now ex-) fiancee was moving from New York to Phoenix, through Idaho. She had a 1998 Ford Explorer, and the uhaul shop in NY was more than happy to let her buy, and install, a trailer hitch and boxed trailer for the move. She made it to the Chicago area when the trailer had a brake or tire failure, so she dragged it to the nearest Uhaul shop to get the trailer repaired or swapped out. They saw that she had a Ford Explorer, of the flipping-over variety no less, and refused to let her leave with the trailer. She had to (in the age before mass cellphone adoption) find and call a Penske location to bring a trailer to the Uhaul store so she could swap her poo poo over, and she continued on her way a day later after having to sleep with her poo poo in the lot to prevent it being stolen.

gently caress Uhaul (and their hyphenated name)

But you do realize most P71s are idled ten thousand hours, put away wet, then sold at auction to amphetamine aficionados to play rent-a-cop, and UHaul is just hedging their bets based on the manufacturer's own recommendations? They do make nice tow vehicles, there was at least one LeMons team with a CVPI towing at every race I was at. I'd consider one probably over a box truck for race support vehicle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I once pushed a 38' motorhome with a 98 Crown Vic because the exhaust on the RV was clogged and couldn't make power.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Does anyone have that picture of the Monte Carlo with a tow hitch stuck into the top of its trunk? Because that's a tow vehicle built to last

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Door Frame posted:

Does anyone have that picture of the Monte Carlo with a tow hitch stuck into the top of its trunk? Because that's a tow vehicle built to last

There was a wrecker yard back in TX when I was a kid that had an old FWD caddy stripped in the rear with a fifth wheel hitch welded in, just to move poo poo in the yard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably because they buy the cheapest rear end insurance they can to compete at the bargain bin levels. And combine a level of risk. Your soft top is probably excluded because if a trailer tire blows up causing the vehicle to overturn you might be ejected out of the top if not wearing a seat belt.

You'd probably go through the hard top too, really.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

It reminds me of the Senior Road Tower collapse in that they both feature people who can construct a thing but lack engineering knowledge that would reveal the flaws in their designs.

The bending moment on those rods is silly.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

spog posted:

Which is a point in favor of the 'it's a beautiful troll" theory.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

It reminds me of the Senior Road Tower collapse in that they both feature people who can construct a thing but lack engineering knowledge that would reveal the flaws in their designs.

The bending moment on those rods is silly.

Thanks for sharing that...I never heard of that one yet know about the one in Poland.

That Senior Road one was nuts. That poor crew. Not a way to go.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a really impractical method to lube a bollard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Seems like a really impractical method to lube a bollard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

*furiously googles french lube ad*

*uploads to imgur*

*enters thread*

gently caress

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

I can only imagine how long to it took to put those four nuts on the threaded rod in the center. Actually I built an amp rack with threaded rod and it sucked.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

stgdz posted:

I can only imagine how long to it took to put those four nuts on the threaded rod in the center. Actually I built an amp rack with threaded rod and it sucked.

Tighten two nuts against each other at one end of the rod, insert into a drill with a socket, hold other nut with a wrench.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

EightBit posted:

Tighten two nuts against each other at one end of the rod, insert into a drill with a socket, hold other nut with a wrench.

If the towbar maker knew how to do that, he would also have the wherewithal to not build that abomination in the first place.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

metaxus posted:

If the towbar maker knew how to do that, he would also have the wherewithal to not build that abomination in the first place.

Years ago, I would have believed the same thing. The blind spots in the way people think are alarming.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I looked for this picture the other day but couldn't find it. Just couldn't get the right search terms. The look on the guy's face in the background is pure gold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm impressed that trunk took that much weight.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Oh poo poo I just got it. This is brilliant.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It takes a while to sink in.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It takes a while to sink in.

No it doesn't, that's the whole point of the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's about the journey, not the destination.