Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Switzerland

Swiss healthcare is comparatively expensive to the end user, complicated and covers less than other European systems. Probably not a good idea to implement/repeat bad system because they're still better than the American healthcare mess.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Halloween Jack posted:

Jacob Bacharach wrote a really neat article on how American capitalism has backed into recreating the dynamics of consumerism under the Soviet Union.

:agreed:. Really, there’s not much of a difference between corrupt officials plundering the country and corrupt executives plundering the country once the corporation they’re managing has become sufficiently large.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are Hungarians white?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hungry posted:

Oh ho ho, while you Americans (I have no idea if you are actually American, sorry) think racism is only skin-deep, we Europeans have perfected the art of hating people who look and sound exactly the same as us!

I’m British/Australian. I deliberately lost my Australian accent in the early 90s because pretty much everyone new I ever met would say “throw another shrimp on the baaarbie” or “that’s not a noif, THIS is a noif” at me like it was the first time I had ever heard that one. It wasn’t :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Read that as austrian accent first and got confused.

But now I am imagining people drawing knives on you constantly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
why is everyone taking the "its from 1935 btw" joke serious? :psyduck:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Goa Tse-tung posted:

“The premise of this anecdote is ridiculous, chickens don’t haven have a conceptual understanding of ‘sides’, it’s more likely it was just wandering without specific intent and so happened to end up crossing.”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My favourite joke ruining thing is to explain that joke.

When it was made up by the Victorians “the other side” meant “the other side of the veil” as in death. So it is in fact a joke about a suicidal chicken. “Why did the other chicken cross the road?” “To join his mate” is a joke about a double suicide.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

My grandpa got very sick while doing a forestry job in Austria and his supervisor was extremely racist (he's hungarian but grew up in austria) and ranted to him about how all Hungarians are traitors and rebels but finally allowed him to go to a doctor. The doctor was very nice and gave him the paperwork to get treated at the local hospital. When he got to the hospital he was speaking perfect german and he was getting undressed but the moment they say "hungarian" under nationality they told him to get the gently caress out despite having the correct paperwork. European hospitals are very racist.

Also this was in like 1935. I'm sure it's the same now though.

Are...Did you just really use an example from 1930's Austria?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Because we are past Poe's Law.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I can't tell what's serious anymore. I'm broke brained and I won't deny it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

learnincurve posted:

When it was made up by the Victorians “the other side” meant “the other side of the veil” as in death. So it is in fact a joke about a suicidal chicken. “Why did the other chicken cross the road?” “To join his mate” is a joke about a double suicide.

My understanding is the earliest recorded usage of the joke is from 1847, where it was given as an example of a non-joke in the same way we use it today, so the claim that it was clever in the Victorian era seems spurious, except in that victorians probably had people back then too who would try to ruin the joke by “explaining” it.

Sorry for ruining your joke ruiner!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/958811754435416064

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Also in the pokemon anime Ash is in a coma

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of Amazon, yikes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/...WT.nav=top-news

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Rip jerking it at work

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Also in the pokemon anime Ash is in a coma

From like the spearows or...?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Someone else say Amazon?

Naked cap put up a piece reminding why if you're not working in AWS for Amazon, working at the warehouse/ whole foods basically sucks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

My sister works at a Patagonia warehouse and anyone that has come from Amazon will mention how bad it sucks there when prompted.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Star Man posted:

My sister works at a Patagonia warehouse and anyone that has come from Amazon will mention how bad it sucks there when prompted.

This should be mandatory reading for Americans, it's one of the important things written in the past 20 years. And at the rate we're going with Amazon, it might be the most important thing written in a 100: I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave.

On hot days, they literally line up ambulances outside the warehouses because they know so many people will be collapsing with heatstroke.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

the black husserl posted:

This should be mandatory reading for Americans, it's one of the important things written in the past 20 years. And at the rate we're going with Amazon, it might be the most important thing written in a 100: I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave.

On hot days, they literally line up ambulances outside the warehouses because they know so many people will be collapsing with heatstroke.

My sister gets it good at Patagonia and she has no idea. They gave her and everyone else the day off on Election Day to vote for gently caress's sake.

And it's only a matter of time before something there changes for the worst too.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the black husserl posted:

if i remember right, collapsing with heatstroke is a fireable offense

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/960543233620299776

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

No shock there, as they've been on the death watch list for a while due to overleveraging, etc. I would think Stein Mart will file shortly (since the fiscal year end for virtually all retailers is over) and Sears and possibly others later this year.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I’m at work 50 hours per week, commute 14 hours per week, spend 8 hours per week at the gym, spend an average of 4-8 hours per week cycling, and have 4 kids. My wife works about the same hours I do but commutes less.

We buy groceries online. Along with almost everything else.

I work at most three hours a day and spend the rest of my time hanging out with my two kids or having a bath or/and getting high af what are we talking about here?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I've dropped my hours to 33 a week and my 4thwife has just given birth to our latest carnifex, which brings the total to 30. A few more and I will have the command control structure to start fielding gene stealers to infiltrate and gain control of UPS's logistic network. It will mark the joyous birth of a new Hive Fleet (with added bonus of world wide overnight shipping for less than a 5 spot...no weight limit).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bloomberg made an American Mall Simulator that you can't win
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/american-mall-game/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Bloomberg made an American Mall Simulator that you can't win
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/american-mall-game/

This is fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the UI is bad and i dont like that they didn't do more with the bare mentions of adaptive reuse. otherwise ok job

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of money in developing serious games like those. My co worker teaches a class about them and I am always on the hunt for new games for her class to play.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont have a problem with making a gamelet to prove a point, but dont make it long and difficult to play via wonky controls just to end with "haha, there's no way to win"

malls are in trouble but they're not doomed. there's plenty of adaptive reuse going on around the country to turn dead or dying malls into something more useful

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

i dont have a problem with making a gamelet to prove a point, but dont make it long and difficult to play via wonky controls just to end with "haha, there's no way to win"

malls are in trouble but they're not doomed. there's plenty of adaptive reuse going on around the country to turn dead or dying malls into something more useful

That is malls dying, though. As soon as a mall gets turned into something other than a mall it's not a mall anymore. That's reusing the building sure and it's great but it's not a mall if you turn it into like apartments or office space or something.

America is ridiculously oversaturated with malls and malls are becoming increasingly unprofitable. They're just being abandoned and dying left and right; same with retail space in general. We just built too drat much of it. Often the buildings are still good but if nobody in it is selling anything then it's no longer retail space or a mall.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The Death Of Clothing article linked from that game is a good read. It explains why fashion retail's having trouble even when clothes are one of the few things where brick and mortar has some advantages over online shopping(mostly not having to deal with sending a bunch of stuff back if it doesn't fit right). People aren't spending as much on clothes, shifts in professional wear mean they don't need as many clothes, and the fashion companies aren't the trendmakers anymore.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America is ridiculously oversaturated with malls and malls are becoming increasingly unprofitable. They're just being abandoned and dying left and right; same with retail space in general. We just built too drat much of it.
I've said it before, but there's lots of places where you have multiple malls within reasonable driving distance, which is utterly ridiculous. Especially since there's very little store variation from mall to mall. Condense the malls together and you might have something that can coast longer, instead of having 3+ malls cannibalizing each other's shoppers.

Of course, no mall wants to be the one that closes first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That is malls dying, though. As soon as a mall gets turned into something other than a mall it's not a mall anymore.

That's a completely bogus stance to take. Adaptive reuse usually just ups the amount of not-straight-retail in the mall from say just one doctor's office or something to a big chunk of the mall being offices, particularly an anchor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That is malls dying, though. As soon as a mall gets turned into something other than a mall it's not a mall anymore. That's reusing the building sure and it's great but it's not a mall if you turn it into like apartments or office space or something.

America is ridiculously oversaturated with malls and malls are becoming increasingly unprofitable. They're just being abandoned and dying left and right; same with retail space in general. We just built too drat much of it. Often the buildings are still good but if nobody in it is selling anything then it's no longer retail space or a mall.

i dont think you understood my post

dead and dying malls are being converted into, not malls, or half malls

however, not all malls are dead or dying. plenty are doing fine

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If your experience day to day makes you think all malls are dying, it's likely that it is your local area that's dying or never lived to begin with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never seen a mall that wasn't propped up by the food court.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the mall near me has no food court and is propped up by the movie theater, one of the few places in a half hour's drive that isn't some bourgie $20 a ticket dinner theater

last time i was in there the only places in the food court were a noodle stand and a popcorn shop. even the wendy's closed

here soon the movie theater is probably going to be the only anchor tenant, and that might keep the whole mall afloat

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There are three malls near where my mum lives in the US, just outside of a small city of about 250,000 people. The medium-sized one with a cinema closed years ago and is now a strip mall with a Super Target and a bunch of other shops. The small one is still open, but it has more empty storefronts than occupied and is about to lose one if its anchor stores, Carson's (the other two being JCPenney and Hobby Lobby). The large mall on the local equivalent of Main/High street is still fairly well off, having only one or two empty stores at present, and hosts a reasonably functional Sears of all things. However, it has steadily been losing business for years and I can't help but think that its days are numbered.

As an anti-capitalist who has a disdain for crass consumerism and the cluster of poverty-level jobs that malls represent, I shouldn't be bothered by this... yet I am for reasons I don't quite understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My local mall's food court ceased to exist. Everybody left in the course of six months. The only thing holding it up now is a Target.