Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Lorca doesn't really need a plan with Destiny is on his side.
I think this is a nice nod to the Greek/Roman belief in the Three Fates.

1) Convince Star-fleet to give him the command of whatever secret project Paul Stamets is on. His interest in this is probably because he knows about the power potential of astromycelium.
2) Recruits
a) Michael Burnham. His creepy 'love'.
b) Tilly/Killy. She's a young dork here and probably easily manipulable. Has a lot of potential he can mold.
c) Saru: In case the replicator system fails or stranded in a shuttle accident, also unlikely to question his Command being subservient chattel.

3) Defeat the Klingons and get promoted up in Star Fleet. Gain power however he can in the Federation to eventually create Terran Empire 2?

~Realizes Spores can hop dimensions and drafts second plan.
4) Do enough jumps to chart dimensional map to his universe. His encounter with Adm. Cornwell tightened up his schedule, and he convinces Stamets to do 133 jumps.

When Stamets saids he plans to retire, Lorca has one last chance to get back. I think he would have wanted to stay longer in Prime Universe if he could.

5) In Mirror universe, get Burnham to return him to Charon as bounty.
6) "Somehow" escape Agony Booth on Charon to free his followers.
7) "Guesses" that mStamet still has his biological weapons, which probably isn't that big of a gamble.
8) Kill the Stragglers/Loyalists
9) Declare himself Emperor
10) Easily convince Burnham to join his side.
11) Sweeping reform in Terran Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Delsaber posted:

They get blowed up real good.

Thing that kills me in that scene is the way the explosions and fire roll with the ship.

edit: Bad parenting, that's what that is.

Dr. Memory fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 31, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Memory posted:

Thing that kills me in that scene is the way the explosions and fire roll with the ship.

like you know how warp fields, inertial dampeners, artificial gravity, plasma fires, and exploding console rocks interact

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Dr. Memory posted:

Much like everything else in space, fire runs on rails.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everybody on this show is a tactical genius because they all understand that the ultimate move is just showing up and then fistfighting your opponent. Art of War.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Prometheus class is pretty cool. A dedicated warship the size of the Intrepid class that can split into three parts for a “multi-vector assault mode”? Yes please.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been watching Discovery, up to episode 5.

I'm willing to let go of a lot of the vestiges and canon from the old shows, I really am. If they can turn a quality show I can look past the old stuff, especially since it's hard to remember all that poo poo after a while anyway.

But Starfleet is willing to let a captain enslave a sentient? All the fleet has to say about it is that they want even more of the suckers? Not even a Starfleet at war was willing to let this go, at least not without an argument. I'm sure there's some conflict from this coming eventually, but I'm thinking back to TNG and this would be quite a thing on that ship and battle lines would be drawn on the issue immediately. Even Voyager wouldn't have seen enslavement as a valid course of action.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I'm willing to let go of a lot of the vestiges and canon from the old shows, I really am. If they can turn a quality show I can look past the old stuff, especially since it's hard to remember all that poo poo after a while anyway.

But Starfleet is willing to let a captain enslave a sentient? All the fleet has to say about it is that they want even more of the suckers? Not even a Starfleet at war was willing to let this go, at least not without an argument. I'm sure there's some conflict from this coming eventually, but I'm thinking back to TNG and this would be quite a thing on that ship and battle lines would be drawn on the issue immediately. Even Voyager wouldn't have seen enslavement as a valid course of action.

This is some captain Ransom poo poo

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Tardigrade has no face how can it be sentient

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Starfleet admirals have always been more or less evil. They just happen to have a more or less evil captain to work with this time.

Don't worry, it's not an ethically valid course of action and everyone knows it.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so "different quantum signature" for PU vs MU. Transporters break-down a person and re-construct them. So why didn't the transporter computer note the difference as Lorca was passing through the pattern buffer?

Still love the show, the ships and the characters, though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Budgie posted:

I'm watching it again and Lorca's "You think I'd come all this way without a plan?" is probably the most hilarious line in the whole series because his 'plan' is so convoluted and luck based that there's no sensible way to expect it to work.

His plan appears to have been to assume that someone he'd previously wronged would come down to torment him specifically, drag him out of the agonizer and allow himself to be disarmed and murdered. Then to assume that he'd be able to find Stamets (who had been comatose up until minutes earlier) so that the latter could give him access to a bio-weapon. Then that the empress would walk her remaining crew into an obvious trap.

Oh, and that his crew would still be alive months later in the Empress' personal agonizers.

It was not a good plan.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Eh, he could have been planning on Burham releasing him, then using Discovery's crew to take out the Emperor, but decided to ad-lib once he realized he could get out on his own and already had allies on-board.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpeakSlow posted:

Ok, so "different quantum signature" for PU vs MU. Transporters break-down a person and re-construct them. So why didn't the transporter computer note the difference as Lorca was passing through the pattern buffer?

The transporters would be able to detect it, but is there any reason why they would be looking for it or have an alarm set up to alert the crew?

Then there is the old problem of how do transporters work, really? There is no reason for the transporters to have the ability to synthesize an unfamiliar universal quantum signature. So if the beam just beams the pattern and not the actual atoms, once you go through the transporters hand have your body reconstructed from local atoms, you might have the local quantum signature. Meanwhile your foreign atoms are left wherever you beamed from.

Woden
May 6, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

Guessing they don't scan for something that's universally the same since it'd be a waste of resources.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Miranda class is bae. I like how it started out as a sinister upside-down Enterprise and then got repurposed into the decade-old white chrysler lebaron you give your kid who just got her licence of starships in next gen

Lebaron? No, Cordoba!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Prometheus class is pretty cool. A dedicated warship the size of the Intrepid class that can split into three parts for a “multi-vector assault mode”? Yes please.

Anime ship

Caros posted:

Oh, and that his crew would still be alive months later in the Empress' personal agonizers.
As I've noted before, Lorca is well aware of the fact that the Agonizers are about as bad as an uncomfortable airplane seat. Yeah, you'd pay money to get out of one, but all in all, as far as painful treatments are concerned, you can't really complain much, and while you'll have to shake out your legs when getting out, you're essentially ready to fight unless you fell asleep.

The Bloop posted:

like you know how warp fields, inertial dampeners, artificial gravity, plasma fires, and exploding console rocks interact
As The Expanse shows, spaceships look better the closer they corresponds to normal known space physics. (As Firefly shows, the same goes for sound. I'd eat a full-scale model of the Enterprise for no-sound-in-space Expanse ..)

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

skooma512 posted:

Starfleet constantly lets their principles go in times of crisis. See also: Insurrection, DS9: "Homefront", TNG: "I, Borg"

Quark posted:

Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 31, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alright I've watched it all. This is the most crass show. I was laughing at that stupid fight scene on the bridge. It tries to be original but at the same time is guilty of every possible cliche, the stupid dramatic fight where the main characters end up fighting each other while all the nameless ones die, the love conquers all stuff at the end, the spore drive (lol), everything is so insanely stupid and it looks like the actors don't take it seriously, the emperor, whose actor did a good job in Sunshine (which comes off as a completely reasonable plot compared to this) sounds like she treats Discovery as a school play she's forced into.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's funny when you paraphrase it: woman saves the multiverse from a dimension of inherently evil people and rescues a genocidal cannibal emperor whom she sees as a mother figure by teleporting her onto a spaceship powered by transdimensional mushrooms only to return and find out space muslims have won the war against america.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shibawanko posted:

Alright I've watched it all. This is the most crass show. I was laughing at that stupid fight scene on the bridge. It tries to be original but at the same time is guilty of every possible cliche, the stupid dramatic fight where the main characters end up fighting each other while all the nameless ones die, the love conquers all stuff at the end, the spore drive (lol), everything is so insanely stupid and it looks like the actors don't take it seriously, the emperor, whose actor did a good job in Sunshine (which comes off as a completely reasonable plot compared to this) sounds like she treats Discovery as a school play she's forced into.
I watch with a friend every Sunday/Monday and while we were watching the fight scene on the bridge I just started laughing and said "this is so stupid!" It's wild how different this show gets depending on the director. Bravo for giving such creative freedom but boo for making this show the most consistent at being bad and good every other episode.

Anyway, two things of note that I didn't even talk about with the latest episode.
1: By not having Michael's boyfriend even get a single frame of the episode... the episode was a lot more enjoyable. Gosh I really don't like that guy.
2: By not having Lorca after this episode, the show is about 33% worse. I don't know if it'll be much fun with only Saru and Stamets around. We need Lorca for the rear end in a top hat trifecta that's made this series such a joy to watch. But who knows, (spoilers for The Expanse) The Expanse managed to still be quite entertaining after they killed off their best character. Miracles can happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

To take that line of reasoning to a weird/bad place, if replicated food doesn't "taste the same" and if replication is simply the second half of the transportation process, wouldn't any sentient who used the transporter be "tainted" by it?
I've always assumed that the people who say replicated food isn't as good are the same kind of people who use gold-plated cables to hook up their stereo.

Echo Chamber posted:

the whole plan Burnham and Georgiou cooked up was essentially just charging into the throne room and fighting them all in hand-to-hand combat. There was no clever plan to outsmart them. It really was a non-plan plan on the two's part.
It's amazing how common that plan is in movies and TV. And how often it involves pretending to surrender or be captured first, even though that doesn't end up helping at all.

Parkingtigers posted:

In some ways I'm glad we didn't, because there's a whole lot of people out there needing to eat some delicious crow now they see that everything had a purpose.
Who do you think is eating crow? 90% of this show has been pointless and dumb. That hasn't changed.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Do you want to go back to standalone eps?
God yes. Absolutely. 100%.

You know how, if there was a bad episode of TNG, you could just think "oh well, maybe next week will be better." If it's one ongoing story then dumb bullshit just spreads from episode to episode and ruins everything.

pidan posted:

Farscape also has the best ship design.
My favourite space ship design ever is in the first episode of Lexx, the prison transport ships are just rectangular boxes because aerodynamics doesn't matter in space.

The last season or two of Farscape were not good
You realise there were only four seasons, right? Also, you're wrong regardless, because (aside from Grayza) Farscape was good right to the end.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

1: By not having Michael's boyfriend even get a single frame of the episode... the episode was a lot more enjoyable. Gosh I really don't like that guy.
He's our new Wesley.
What's so bad about him is how I know I am supposed to like him.
At least they haven't managed to do anything worse with him than his "to our fallen comrades" speech.

DaveKap posted:

2: By not having Lorca after this episode, the show is about 33% worse. I don't know if it'll be much fun with only Saru and Stamets around. We need Lorca for the rear end in a top hat trifecta that's made this series such a joy to watch. But who knows, (spoilers for The Expanse) The Expanse managed to still be quite entertaining after they killed off their best character. Miracles can happen.
Actually, Amos is still alive?.. (Talking show here. The best Expanse novels character does in fact share a name with the best Discovery character.)

Tiggum posted:

My favourite space ship design ever is in the first episode of Lexx, the prison transport ships are just rectangular boxes because aerodynamics doesn't matter in space.
Expanse is mostly boxes (for non-planet capable ships).

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

He's our new Wesley.
What's so bad about him is how I know I am supposed to like him.
At least they haven't managed to do anything worse with him than his "to our fallen comrades" speech.

He had the potential to be a really interesting dilemma, like an actual Klingon who didn't remember what he did to himself and who was genuinely on the side of Starfleet but then they tossed it all away with the sleeper agent poo poo and having him kill Hugh.

One of Starfleet's missions is to turn enemies into friends, and here was a dude who did it to himself, accidentally. There's a ton they could have done exploring that, but their desire to reveal SECRETS and be edgy tossed it all out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The stakes in this episode were loving ridiculous. If they don't blow it up then the Terran Empire will accidentally destroy the whole universe?

Like I'm fine with the mushroom drive because it's not too hard to hide that it existed. But that it powers the whole universe? Come on!

And to time travel (I guess) in the final two episodes is a bit mad.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Taear posted:

The stakes in this episode were loving ridiculous. If they don't blow it up then the Terran Empire will accidentally destroy the whole universe?

Like I'm fine with the mushroom drive because it's not too hard to hide that it existed. But that it powers the whole universe? Come on!

I suspect there will be another TWEEST where they find out they are not in their own actual universe. 9 months is a ridiculously short timeframe to conquer the Federation so thoroughly that they don't even have their HQ anymore

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

they tossed it all away with the sleeper agent poo poo and having him kill Hugh.
Nah he was always terrible. Everything about him has always been terrible.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

Nah he was always terrible. Everything about him has always been terrible.

I don't know, Boomer from BSG had the same starting character arc and I loved her story.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I suspect there will be another TWEEST where they find out they are not in their own actual universe. 9 months is a ridiculously short timeframe to conquer the Federation so thoroughly that they don't even have their HQ anymore

The whole war has been so offscreen and strange that really it's not out of the realm of possibility.
The dominion war was handled so much better than this.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Taear posted:

The whole war has been so offscreen and strange that really it's not out of the realm of possibility.
The dominion war was handled so much better than this.

I think the logistics of even holding that much space would be a massive, almost impossible endeavor but then again we saw an unprotected key dilithium installation that powered some ridiculous percentage of the fleet earlier so i dont think the writers are thinking too hard about those things

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Maybe Ash Tyler will sacrifice himself for the greater good so we won’t need to see his stupid loving face any more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think the logistics of even holding that much space would be a massive, almost impossible endeavor but then again we saw an unprotected key dilithium installation that powered some ridiculous percentage of the fleet earlier so i dont think the writers are thinking too hard about those things

It's another case of the show sort of....painting everything with enormous brush strokes.
Lorca's Plan, Voq's Plan and the War are all supposedly central parts of the show but you never learn what you really need to make the storyline make sense.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Even worse, the whole multiverse. It's completely absurd and probably symptomatic of someone going "people don't think our awesome space mushroom idea is important and relevant, WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT"

I don't know, Boomer from BSG had the same starting character arc and I loved her story.

If they find a klingon ship full of naked Voq copies doing tai chi this will instantly become my favorite television show ever

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 31, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
So dead gay doctor stays dead then? Did they learn nothing from the Clexa debacle?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care for a Stamets grieving thing. A happily, or even realistically, married couple would have been much better. I liked the Firefly marriage! (Actually, Stamets looks a bit like Wash?)

McSpanky posted:

Even worse, the whole multiverse. It's completely absurd and probably symptomatic of someone going "people don't think our awesome space mushroom idea is important and relevant, WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT"
I would have liked the thing much more without that.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
They need to find some way before the series ends to basically erase the technology because teleporting ships would be such a massive tactical advantage that Starfleet would never abandon it, and enemy powers would never stop trying to figure out how to do it. The fact it puts the entire multiverse at risk (fart) plus those things will make Discovery go back in time to either before Stamets and his buddy invent the thing, or more likely to before Discovery finds the tardigrade. They will ensure they never make that advance, so the Drive ends up looking like mostly a dead end. The series will never have happened in actual continuity.

They will likely toss out a hamfisted reference at the end about humanity not being ready and Stamets will become some benevolent Q-like figure

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
A few weeks ago before this Mirror Universe stuff started I speculated itt that I hoped Lorca's ulterior motive was that as a Section 31 guy his real mission for the spore drive was to track down and valiantly recover the missing Defiant ship and her crew and then finish the season by scuttling the old ship because it's in enemy hands whilst saving what remains of the crew.

I still kind of wish that the story had gone in that direction instead because it would've been a welcome positive twist after all of the grimdark™ stuff imo, but I kind of like the dynamic they have going right now. I look forward to seeing mirror Georgiou schooling these Federation nerds about how to slaughter Klingons and help with getting the mirror Discovery to gently caress off (assuming that it didn't teleport back or whatever when they returned).

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They need to find some way before the series ends to basically erase the technology because teleporting ships would be such a massive tactical advantage that Starfleet would never abandon it, and enemy powers would never stop trying to figure out how to do it. The fact it puts the entire multiverse at risk (fart) plus those things will make Discovery go back in time to either before Stamets and his buddy invent the thing, or more likely to before Discovery finds the tardigrade. They will ensure they never make that advance, so the Drive ends up looking like mostly a dead end. The series will never have happened in actual continuity.

They will likely toss out a hamfisted reference at the end about humanity not being ready and Stamets will become some benevolent Q-like figure

People will be really unhappy at an "it was all a dream" ending.
That said I just can't think of how this is going to end. And how they'll continue it afterwards. It's bizzare.

quote:

A few weeks ago before this Mirror Universe stuff started I speculated itt that I hoped Lorca's ulterior motive was that as a Section 31 guy his real mission for the spore drive was to track down and recover the missing Defiant ship and her crew.
The Defiant stuff didn't really go anywhere, it's a shame the actual resolution to the problem was so peculiar by the end of it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Has some person that recently acquired omniscience, I can confirm this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Taear posted:

People will be really unhappy at an "it was all a dream" ending.
That said I just can't think of how this is going to end. And how they'll continue it afterwards. It's bizzare.

yeah, there's so much room for prequel stuff you can do where you can handwave it never appearing in the earlier shows with "Ah, they just never mentioned it", but teleporting ships breaks the rules of that universe so thoroughly that there's no way there wouldn't have been constant research until another empire had figured it out.

Edit: Actually I could see it ending with everything having happened the way they present, but Stamets elevates to the mushroom plane of existence and then bars all further use of the network until humanity is "ready" for it. That strikes a lot of Trek chords

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 31, 2018