Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Jeez, there's been lots of things in this thread while I've been away. Way too much to even consider going through (I mean, games journalists are rubbish but that's not much of a take)

How about all this old speedrunning drama with Todd Rogers finally getting exposed and banned for life then? I'm just catching up on it all - the once and for all proof that 5.51 was a fake and lord knows what else. Apollo Legend's channel has blown the hell up thanks to it, Ben Heck did a video with the man himself showing that it couldn't be done which was pretty drat awkward, and even bloody KILLER KEEMSTAR has been reporting on it for heaven's sake. All seems kinda weird considering just how much of the stuff he put on Twin Galaxies was just flat out completely unverified, and it took so long for it to be questioned - first by speedrunners in general and then bigger and bigger folk as the story caught fire. Lots of fun.

Yeah. I don't really follow speed runners though. We hit a point where you really can't bullshit about that kind of stuff anymore thanks to capture cards and twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

It also bothers me that the two new major species of alien look like humans in bad Star Trek make-up despite living in a totally different galaxy. Though human looking aliens in general bug me, Andromeda's are especially egregious in how much they looked like bad Voyager aliens.

Also the original Mass Effect species actual look like they've had some measure of natural evolution applied to their design that suits their homeworld's environments. Save except maybe the Asari, because they're the deliberate fanservice species, but even then the bits about their history still try to infer an evolution path and environment similar to that of Humans.

The Ket and the Angara, on the other hand, look like someone said "yep, looks alien enough to me! :pseudo:" and signed off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So patrons already have access to Lindsay's Bright video. Again, thoughtful analysis of a movie that I will never bother watching.

What does she think? Well:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/958182409668911104

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That movie so blatantly wanted to be set in Shadowrun and thankfully that was denied.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve been watching her videos for a few months now, she’s great. Her stuff is just very much in line of what I want out of video essays.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Yardbomb posted:

That movie so blatantly wanted to be set in Shadowrun and thankfully that was denied.

On top of that, I can't think of anything less Shadowrun than making the heroes cops.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The only good part of Andromeda was the Hall of Cultural Outreach or whatever that was supposed to teach Andromeda species about Milky Way species and the little displays were full of blatant bullshit and straight-up lies that whitewashed the hell out of each species' history. It only works if you have the context of the previous games, but it felt like someone on the writing team had a little moment of "all this poo poo is hosed up" and decided to point that out in the one self-aware part of the game.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladin posted:

On top of that, I can't think of anything less Shadowrun than making the heroes cops.

There aren't really cops in the sense we know it in Shadowrun, anyway. The closest thing is Lone Star, which is just a respectable-looking protection racket. Very, very, very different.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Paladin posted:

I feel like you could make a cool story out of some Lone Star guys trying to do a good thing and getting screwed over for it, that sort of idea, but even if they'd had Shadowrun, Bright was too dumb of a movie to have done anything that neat.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like you could make a cool story out of some Lone Star guys trying to do a good thing and getting screwed over for it, that sort of idea, but even if they'd had Shadowrun, Bright was too dumb of a movie to have done anything that neat.

This is part of the plot to SHadowrun Hong Kong.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah Bright feels more like Urban Arcana than Shadow Run

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Serf posted:

The only good part of Andromeda was the Hall of Cultural Outreach or whatever that was supposed to teach Andromeda species about Milky Way species and the little displays were full of blatant bullshit and straight-up lies that whitewashed the hell out of each species' history. It only works if you have the context of the previous games, but it felt like someone on the writing team had a little moment of "all this poo poo is hosed up" and decided to point that out in the one self-aware part of the game.

That and the Krogan parts, because apparently they're the only aliens that the writers seem to actually care about.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bioware projects are largely incoherent messes with no consistent artistic vision so I doesn't shock me that there are glimpses of nuance hidden away in minor content.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So patrons already have access to Lindsay's Bright video. Again, thoughtful analysis of a movie that I will never bother watching.

What does she think? Well:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/958182409668911104

Looking forward to this; Even outside of Max Landis being a turd of a human being, Bright is just a loving mess of a film.

Yardbomb posted:

It's so painfully obvious that it wanted to be Shadowrun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Testekill posted:

It's so painfully obvious that it wanted to be Shadowrun.

Yet it didn't even bother having any cyberpunk. Just take a contemporary buddy cop movie and throw fantasy races into it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I didn't dislike Bright, and I also didn't like it. It was just a bunch of wasted potential, squandering an interesting concept on a mediocre movie that I struggle to recall weeks later.

And if Max Landis wanted it to be Shadowrun he sure didn't understand poo poo about Shadowrun. Which, given his whole deal, isn't terribly surprising.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Landis escaped having his life destroyed when he was outed as a rapist, and I don’t like that. But maybe I never noticed because Landis is a pathetic twerp below contempt.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Kim Justice posted:

Jeez, there's been lots of things in this thread while I've been away. Way too much to even consider going through (I mean, games journalists are rubbish but that's not much of a take)

How about all this old speedrunning drama with Todd Rogers finally getting exposed and banned for life then? I'm just catching up on it all - the once and for all proof that 5.51 was a fake and lord knows what else. Apollo Legend's channel has blown the hell up thanks to it, Ben Heck did a video with the man himself showing that it couldn't be done which was pretty drat awkward, and even bloody KILLER KEEMSTAR has been reporting on it for heaven's sake. All seems kinda weird considering just how much of the stuff he put on Twin Galaxies was just flat out completely unverified, and it took so long for it to be questioned - first by speedrunners in general and then bigger and bigger folk as the story caught fire. Lots of fun.

I'm only finding about this now because I recently followed a dude who helps run The Internet Archive.

Which reminds me: donate to the Internet Archive! One day you just may need to be reminded of something stupid you did 10 years ago. https://archive.org/donate/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Just watched a video on this.
It's hilarious that this guy got away with posting records that were literally, obviously impossible, as in getting a score that ends with a "90" in a game that increments its score by 50. I guess it helped that these were games that not many people actually played.
The funniest one is him posting the exact same, ridiculous 15 million point score for both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Like, what?

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 31, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Serf posted:

The only good part of Andromeda

No, the only good part of Andromeda is pre-insane Kevin Sorbo as "Not Riker", wearing sweet, stupid red leather uniforms.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

No, the only good part of Andromeda is pre-insane Kevin Sorbo as "Not Riker", wearing sweet, stupid red leather uniforms.

doesn't he literally become Jesus in that series

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMaestroso posted:

That and the Krogan parts, because apparently they're the only aliens that the writers seem to actually care about.

I will poo poo on Andromeda all day long for just about every part of its terribleness, but the Krogan Colony section is indeed a lot of fun. Not the story-related parts, but digging through the news entries and logs where someone clearly had a lot of fun.

Things like Krogan courtship rituals due to co-habitating with females (they generally live apart from the males in caves for protection);

"Do not sing like in the vids".

"The Dance was a huge success. Those who perished during it will be mourned."

Also Drack is the only well-written character in the game; He's a Grumpy Krogan Grandpa pushing 1400 years old (most live about 1,000) who is too old for this poo poo, only alive because he's killed everyone else who tried to kill him, and just wants to see kids grow up healthy, safe and happy :unsmith:. And he will brutally slaughter anything that tries to harm children.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lornekates posted:

did they find some leftover costumes from the Rocketeer for this?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kim Justice posted:

Though his stuff sounds fishy, all I'm finding so far is for 5.51 "we tried and couldn't do it via TAS" which feels a bit flimsy. Still, the guy has a lot of records that are most easily explained by being able to hack a CRT output and taking a polaroid of it. I almost wonder if the limited architecture and short race time means you can almost exhaustively model the outcomes, though that would probably still need some serious computing power.

business hammocks posted:

I feel like Landis escaped having his life destroyed when he was outed as a rapist, and I don’t like that. But maybe I never noticed because Landis is a pathetic twerp below contempt.

He got lucky with his timing by the looks of it. The smoke has been there but didn't turn to fire until after Bright was out and most of the money had been made; it appears entertainment media loves to tie this together to sell drama with an upcoming release instead of reporting lovely behavior as lovely behavior. His wikipedia/IMDB show a serious lack of anything with a set date upcoming, and some of that was things that were canned, but I'm sure some of that is also him lying low. That or his dad is really good at covering up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's just the lovely product of a helicopter parent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's just the lovely product of a helicopter parent.

That’s the perfect version of that joke.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Paladin posted:

You could make a decent Shadowrun cop movie if you had them working for something like Lone Star where the guys out there on the street are a minority of former cops just trying to keep some vague semblance of law and safety mixed in with corporate bootlickers gleefully enforcing their protection racket in the post-magic New World Order.

I guess you could argue that a cop movie is inherently anti-punk no matter how you frame it.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 31, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchw...s/#67099414200a

:psyduck:

EDIT: Oh, also this:
https://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls/status/958774469891309568

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh won't someone please think of the monsters

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Im more annoyed by the Dark Souls take.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You know, I think that shotgun shell was photoshopped in.

E: Also again, man gaming journalism must be really easy cause literally all you do is reference dark souls

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leal posted:

E: Also again, man gaming journalism must be really easy cause literally all you do is reference dark souls

It's even easier than that. You just namedrop Dark Souls and you're done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Truly Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls shameless namedrops.

Serf
May 5, 2011

As time goes on Monster Hunter will just become more and more a sad reminder that our actual megafauna are largely extinct or in the process of becoming extinct due to our own actions. There's nothing wrong with the fantasy of hunting large animals, that's a primal human activity that we've largely lost access to. But there is an element of these games that seems to embody our desire to be in awe of something larger than us in the way that animals like elephants and whales provoke. That experience is going to be largely lost as well in a few decades.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/emeat-is-emurder/

Yesterday's parody has once again become today's reality.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

MH is definitely warranted to Dark Souls comparisons, stop whining

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4CMOawBb8

MrBtongue is back!!!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

gently caress. YES. :toot:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DoubleCakes posted:

MH is definitely warranted to Dark Souls comparisons, stop whining

But I've seen it pointed out that Monster Hunter predates the Souls games by about five years (first Monster Hunter came out in 2004, Demon's Souls released in 2009). MH has had a fanbase long before Souls did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

But I've seen it pointed out that Monster Hunter predates the Souls games by about five years (first Monster Hunter came out in 2004, Demon's Souls released in 2009). MH has had a fanbase long before Souls did.

Granted I've only played DS3 so I can't speak to what Demon Souls is like, but my first impression of DS3 after having played tons of Monster Hunter games is, "hmm wow some dev played a lot of Monster Hunter"

• Locked thread