Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Yeah that fixes it until you stop pressing it, where it snaps right back to a lovely angle. Annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Chocotaco's game is bugged and he has no ambient noise - he can hear footsteps and gunshots and glass breaking but he doesn't hear the wind or other fake noises. I would play a ton more PUBG if I could turn that poo poo off.

He ended up reconnecting since it was pretty much actually cheating but if I get that bug I'm just going to keep the program on until a patch forces me to close it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hellsau posted:

Chocotaco's game is bugged and he has no ambient noise - he can hear footsteps and gunshots and glass breaking but he doesn't hear the wind or other fake noises. I would play a ton more PUBG if I could turn that poo poo off.

He ended up reconnecting since it was pretty much actually cheating but if I get that bug I'm just going to keep the program on until a patch forces me to close it.

try deleting the files like people do with the maps

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Proud of my squads end of season run. We had various people sick / out the past week including myself with a massive cold so we spent a couple of days playing like poo poo, dropping rank and not accomplishing much but with 2 days before reset we put together a solid grouping of games. We ended up with all 4 of our regulars in the top 500, and 1 in the top 250. Our lovely week dropped us pretty hard as we peaked at 5 in the top 250 and 2 of us in the top 200.

Hope the miramar changes help that map play better for next season.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

People in this thread: "Yeah, I usually like to loot until I have an AR with 200 shots and a scoped sniper rifle, maybe I sub out the AR for a modded-out SMG. Also at least half a dozen boosts and first aid kits."

Me: "I have spent the entire first circle looting this pristine small town and all I found is a shotgun and a Uzi. I have 15 bandages."

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yesterday I landed in Georgopol containers, killed the other guy who landed there and all I found after clearing every storage building was 2 shotguns.

(I would've checked on top of the containers but I saw a crate land far from the plane route so I headed there and got murdered)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Perestroika posted:

People in this thread: "Yeah, I usually like to loot until I have an AR with 200 shots and a scoped sniper rifle, maybe I sub out the AR for a modded-out SMG. Also at least half a dozen boosts and first aid kits."

Me: "I have spent the entire first circle looting this pristine small town and all I found is a shotgun and a Uzi. I have 15 bandages."

I don't know what game these guys play, I only land in hot spots like Pochinki and most of the time I can find an AR without any problem, a few meds and a red dot but tier2 armor/helm and 4x/8x scope is really not a granted thing.
Most of the time I get that from other players if I survive long enough

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Elman posted:

Yesterday I landed in Georgopol containers, killed the other guy who landed there and all I found after clearing every storage building was 2 shotguns.

(I would've checked on top of the containers but I saw a crate land far from the plane route so I headed there and got murdered)

That means you are looting wrong. Top of the crates (and warehouses) should be the first thing you should loot.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/958642237386248192

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
UMP or any assault rifle, ~40 bullets, level 1 armor/helmet. Meds/backpack are pointless because the first person you kill will have both

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Region Lock China.

(someone should make a smilie for that)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Hypnolobster posted:

^ really? I use Yak Yak and it hasn't caused problems for me (yet).

Well poo poo. I'm going to try again and get a screenshot of the error and see.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

daslog posted:

Region Lock China.

(someone should make a smilie for that)

:china: but the panda has been sniped in the head from 6 towns over

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Perestroika posted:

"small town" is the problem here.

If you're not dropping in one of the 4 largest towns/areas then you're probably gonna find poo poo. On Erangel this is Mil base, Pochinki, Yas and Georgopol (North, South or Crates). If you drop these places in squads, on average you'll come away with something like level 2 backpack, hat and vest, an AR with 90+ rounds and most attachments, 2 or 3 of your team with level 4 scopes, 2-4 sniper rifles for your squad, and enough meds to get by. Georgopol is a bit more reliable for loot than Pochinki, and Pochinki is often better than Yas. I find that South Georgopol is usually a happy medium between crazy hot zone (Mil base) and shittier loot. You'll likely have to kill a squad getting out of Georgopol but it's not like balls-to-the-wall crazyness like Pochinki often is, which for a scrub player like me is too much. If I tryhard all the time I can get better than a 1.5KDR average but I don't feel like I have the close-quarters combat skills to really make the most of Pochinki drops reliably. South George is also my preferred place to loot as you have good options of where to go and loot/fight next - depending on how busy it is you can go and start shooting people at crates or Hospital or go hunting for scrubs around Gatka etc.

North Georgopol can have decent loot but going through apartments is tiresome and it's harder to get out because there are fewer vehicle spawns than South Georgopol and just south of Hospital.

You're obviously not guaranteed to get good loot every time - we've looted the entirety of South Georgopol as a squad and come away with nothing but red dots and scraps of ammo before but it's semi rare for that to happen.

This only applies to squads and you can get looted up as a solo player dropping at smaller places like Primorsk or Shooting range or whatever but it's more of a roll of the dice. Also there's school and hospital and stuff but I find that the loot there is less reliable. and fighting your way out can be a crapshoot unless you're a better player than I am. As far as I'm concerned there is no good reason to ever drop Lipovka, Kameshki, Severny, Zharki, Gatka, Stalber or anywhere smaller.

Mylta can be OK and you have Mylta Power and substation which have high-level loot, and you can bridge-camp easily from there if you can get looted up. Primorsk is borderline in terms of how much loot you get, but it's positioned well to get either over to military base or towards the centre of the map easily, and you can also bridge-camp the west bridge. Rozhok is a bit of a special case because although the loot isn't so great there is school and apartments nearby and it's bang in the centre of the map. I don't tend to drop there very often these days though.

Once you've spent time looting and are forced to move by circle then you adapt your playstyle to suit your gear. If you're scoped up etc. then you can go for long range fights, if not then you can sneak around and try to move towards engagements and pick off the remaining 2-3 people from the big fight that just happened and bam, you're looted for end game.

Same basic principle applies to Miramar, but I think there are actually more options for getting well looted, especially if you look out for the "Level 3 buildings" which are all over the place and have noticably higher levels of loot.

Drop at the places I've said and it's not at all unreasonable to expect to have AR plus reasonable mid-game ammo, sights, level 2 hat/vest/pack, 2-3 first aids, 3+ boosts and extra poo poo like attachments and a half-decent secondary weapon within the first 5-10 minutes.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 31, 2018

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Milky Moor posted:

Could you even detect the hack that just highlights items or players given that so much of PUBG is clientside? Because that one feels like it'd be impossible to tell, at least from watching footage.

I think poo poo like this is part of what the new anticheat measures are trying to address since it will even block things like reshade. It's unlikely they can filter specifically for loot highlight so they went with something that prevents any changes wholesale.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Could you even detect the hack that just highlights items or players given that so much of PUBG is clientside? Because that one feels like it'd be impossible to tell, at least from watching footage.

Heuristics can help a little bit. I.e. "this player consistently finds an AR 50% faster than the expected average, probably using ESP".

Whether they have that kind of stats capability at the moment I'm not sure

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Soarer posted:

I think poo poo like this is part of what the new anticheat measures are trying to address since it will even block things like reshade. It's unlikely they can filter specifically for loot highlight so they went with something that prevents any changes wholesale.

I'm not sure how it works but I think either VAC or Punkbuster (or both?) checks for any kind of graphical overlay which shouldn't be there. Maybe it sends like a player state plus a screencap to the server, that checks what image should be generated vs what's actually shown? Either way it does seem to pick stuff up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NtotheTC posted:

Heuristics can help a little bit. I.e. "this player consistently finds an AR 50% faster than the expected average, probably using ESP".

Whether they have that kind of stats capability at the moment I'm not sure
Given the 5 of the top 10 people on leaderboards literally have cheater names, I think you're severely overestimating their capabilities in general

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Bluehole will never be able to solve the cheating problem. They make too much money from the cheaters buying new copies and inflating their numbers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

At 180 hours played i finally ran into my first cheater. It was a guy using a no recoil hack in NA squad FPP. To be honest i’m kind of surprised it took this long to happen.

Anyways he killed us almost immediately after the drop so we didn’t even care that much.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Flaggy posted:

Bluehole will never be able to solve the cheating problem. They make too much money from the cheaters buying new copies and inflating their numbers.

Pu really wants pubg to be an esport and expects it to still be alive and getting updates in a decade. Basically he wants to copy what Riot did with leage of legends. You need to stop cheaters for that to work

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah long term, they have to sort it. No matter how many millions of copies they've sold, if the game is full of cheaters then it won't last. I've already massively cut back on the amount I play it and it's nearing uninstall time for me.

TPP is absolutely swimming with cheaters. We played about 7 games last night and I think 4-5 had cheaters. I have no interest in playing FPP and even if I did, cheaters will start filling that mode up soon anyway.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

underage at the vape shop posted:

Pu really wants pubg to be an esport and expects it to still be alive and getting updates in a decade. Basically he wants to copy what Riot did with leage of legends. You need to stop cheaters for that to work

You don't really need to stop cheaters for a successful esports scene to grow. CS:GO (and any game in the series before it) never solved its cheating problem and it's still a huge and successful esport and imhgo the best of the bunch

I'm fairly confident you'll never be able to stop hacking in any popular pc game where it'll give you a meaningful edge, and I've yet to see evidence to the contrary

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

underage at the vape shop posted:

it's never going to be an esport because they aren't even competent enough to make a watchable spectator mode. Watching this game in a tourney atmosphere flat sucks.

We're looking at counter-strike ~1.4 eqiv right now and whatever game that remakes this but with a more competent dev team with an eye to spectator tools and tourneys a la CS:GO will go on to to become esports popular.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WhatEvil posted:

"small town" is the problem here.

If you're not dropping in one of the 4 largest towns/areas then you're probably gonna find poo poo. On Erangel this is Mil base, Pochinki, Yas and Georgopol (North, South or Crates). If you drop these places in squads, on average you'll come away with something like level 2 backpack, hat and vest, an AR with 90+ rounds and most attachments, 2 or 3 of your team with level 4 scopes, 2-4 sniper rifles for your squad, and enough meds to get by. Georgopol is a bit more reliable for loot than Pochinki, and Pochinki is often better than Yas. I find that South Georgopol is usually a happy medium between crazy hot zone (Mil base) and shittier loot. You'll likely have to kill a squad getting out of Georgopol but it's not like balls-to-the-wall crazyness like Pochinki often is, which for a scrub player like me is too much. If I tryhard all the time I can get better than a 1.5KDR average but I don't feel like I have the close-quarters combat skills to really make the most of Pochinki drops reliably. South George is also my preferred place to loot as you have good options of where to go and loot/fight next - depending on how busy it is you can go and start shooting people at crates or Hospital or go hunting for scrubs around Gatka etc.

North Georgopol can have decent loot but going through apartments is tiresome and it's harder to get out because there are fewer vehicle spawns than South Georgopol and just south of Hospital.

You're obviously not guaranteed to get good loot every time - we've looted the entirety of South Georgopol as a squad and come away with nothing but red dots and scraps of ammo before but it's semi rare for that to happen.

This only applies to squads and you can get looted up as a solo player dropping at smaller places like Primorsk or Shooting range or whatever but it's more of a roll of the dice. Also there's school and hospital and stuff but I find that the loot there is less reliable. and fighting your way out can be a crapshoot unless you're a better player than I am. As far as I'm concerned there is no good reason to ever drop Lipovka, Kameshki, Severny, Zharki, Gatka, Stalber or anywhere smaller.

Mylta can be OK and you have Mylta Power and substation which have high-level loot, and you can bridge-camp easily from there if you can get looted up. Primorsk is borderline in terms of how much loot you get, but it's positioned well to get either over to military base or towards the centre of the map easily, and you can also bridge-camp the west bridge. Rozhok is a bit of a special case because although the loot isn't so great there is school and apartments nearby and it's bang in the centre of the map. I don't tend to drop there very often these days though.

Once you've spent time looting and are forced to move by circle then you adapt your playstyle to suit your gear. If you're scoped up etc. then you can go for long range fights, if not then you can sneak around and try to move towards engagements and pick off the remaining 2-3 people from the big fight that just happened and bam, you're looted for end game.

Same basic principle applies to Miramar, but I think there are actually more options for getting well looted, especially if you look out for the "Level 3 buildings" which are all over the place and have noticably higher levels of loot.

Drop at the places I've said and it's not at all unreasonable to expect to have AR plus reasonable mid-game ammo, sights, level 2 hat/vest/pack, 2-3 first aids, 3+ boosts and extra poo poo like attachments and a half-decent secondary weapon within the first 5-10 minutes.

If you drop north Georg or Yas and you don't loot jail/police station wtf? Much faster than the lovely apartments and far better loot. I always prioritize jail/police station, then maybe diner and if I'm desperate I'll loot an apartment or two but they are hit and miss and they take way too long to loot. But jail/police station will nearly always net you an ar with some optics/attachments, and likely a level 2 vest/level 3 helmet combo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

DrNutt posted:

If you drop north Georg or Yas and you don't loot jail/police station wtf? Much faster than the lovely apartments and far better loot. I always prioritize jail/police station, then maybe diner and if I'm desperate I'll loot an apartment or two but they are hit and miss and they take way too long to loot. But jail/police station will nearly always net you an ar with some optics/attachments, and likely a level 2 vest/level 3 helmet combo.

I did say I was talking about squads. Police/Jail sometimes have good loot but I quite often come out of those with poo poo, there's certainly not enough loot there for a squad, it's not super reliable, and looting in them is not quick compared to e.g. duplexes in terms of spawn spots per minute or whatever. Also in North George, which is already a lovely place to get out of, going up to the extreme West makes it even harder because it's inevitable you need to get East or South from there.

To be fair I don't actually drop North George often anyway, and when I drop Yas I tend to drop at the 4 duplexes toward the West side, just north of the road, as I find these are fairly reliable in terms of getting an AR in the first minute, plus they're easy to get out of if there's a bunch of people around.

I'd say that the specific buildings you go for in those towns are personal preference. Your play style is gonna be different from mine. If you wanna go do police station then cool, have fun, it's not a bad option but I wouldn't say it's at "OMG if you don't go there you're a fuckin' noob scrub" level.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2018

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Duplexes are the best non-military base loot buildings on Erangel to be honest. Everything else around them will have to wait.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

WhatEvil posted:

I did say I was talking about squads. Police/Jail sometimes have good loot but I quite often come out of those with poo poo, there's certainly not enough loot there for a squad, it's not super reliable, and looting in them is not quick compared to e.g. duplexes in terms of spawn spots per minute or whatever. Also in North George, which is already a lovely place to get out of, going up to the extreme West makes it even harder because it's inevitable you need to get East or South from there.

Always South George.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

Always South George.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The Mash posted:

Duplexes are the best non-military base loot buildings on Erangel to be honest. Everything else around them will have to wait.

This.

Flaggy posted:

Always South George.

And also this.

And also: Never Zharki.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

DrNutt posted:

If you drop north Georg or Yas and you don't loot jail/police station wtf? Much faster than the lovely apartments and far better loot.

Shush don't give away the secret. People still largely go for the apartments because bigger = better

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

How many SSDs do you have?

two and pubg hasnt had any problems post-launch until now, tried it again earlier just out of curiosity and yep, loading into a black void :rip:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Shush don't give away the secret. People still largely go for the apartments because bigger = better

Isn't the police station bigger than an apartment block?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah but you can loot it a lot faster because it's two floors and not as many doors to open, it's a more open layout, etc.

The jail is about the same size as an apartment block, but has no doors to open and less nooks and crannies.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

Yes but it's either one police station or five apartment blocks!!

the police station has everything you need

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Flaggy posted:

But they have to stop the cheaters to get the money?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yes but it's either one police station or five apartment blocks!!

the police station has everything you need

Except when it doesn't.

Also I think my main aversion to it is that of the times I've been shot/killed when looting Yas, it's often been when I've been moving to/from the police station and jail/embassy or whatever it is. The loot there can be OK but positionally I don't like it. Same reason I don't like dropping at warehouses in Primorsk - the loot is generally good but then you have to run across a big empty expanse to get to the rest of the town and I find that's often when you get shot.

Of course it could just be that I am A Bad Player™.

Also self quote:

WhatEvil posted:

If you wanna go do police station then cool, have fun

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
The only police stations you should visit are the ones in Miramar.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

Except when it doesn't.

Also I think my main aversion to it is that of the times I've been shot/killed when looting Yas, it's often been when I've been moving to/from the police station and jail/embassy or whatever it is. The loot there can be OK but positionally I don't like it. Same reason I don't like dropping at warehouses in Primorsk - the loot is generally good but then you have to run across a big empty expanse to get to the rest of the town and I find that's often when you get shot.

Of course it could just be that I am A Bad Player™.

Before the vaulting system yeah that area was a death trap. Now you can be much more creative in how you enter & exit so it's not nearly as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rex-Goliath posted:

Before the vaulting system yeah that area was a death trap. Now you can be much more creative in how you enter & exit so it's not nearly as bad.

The other day I left police station, popped in my jeep, and started getting shot. So I did what any smart person would do and drove around the side of the building where there is no exit and ran over my attacker, killing him. Then I backed up and drove out the tiny opening in the fence, honking wildly.