Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrari won't be good again until they bring back gold wheels, I'm sorry that's just the rules

https://twitter.com/whenf1was/status/958622416837709824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ferraris wheels are bronze not gold, but yeah they should . Black wheels suck rear end though because they pretty much hide the entire wheels design.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Grid girls are out of F1. Nice going sjw's.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FOR FUCKS SAKE!

""While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms. We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”

F1 is dead, bring back Bernie

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Clearly we need some proper leadership not some bad american focus tested garbage, liberty should sell F1 to big Flavio ftw.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

Clearly we need some proper leadership not some bad american focus tested garbage, liberty should sell F1 to Sergio

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they'd sell the whole organization to one team, so obviously the next best thing is an honest Italian businessman imo.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Literally the best part of any podium is when the winner gets to walk through a honor guard of gorgeous women to go collect his trophy. That poo poo *is* F1.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does that mean Lewis isn't allowed onto the grid?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#mehalo, remove that atrocity from grand prix racing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1....,,....welcome to the 21st century

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Retro liverys are always weird to me..

I just cant imagine a red car on the grid that isn't complete poo poo

and filled with poo poo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
end of a era

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Im generally apathetic on the matter, it was glamorous and daring in the 1950s when it was the only time a gentleman would get to see a pair of boobs on television so it was fair enough. These days if you can’t go two hours without seeing a pair of norks then you may have a slight wanking problem.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
F1 1972: Braps and Baps

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Someone ask our American overlords if they intend on replacing them with cheerleaders, which are apparently a-ok in US sports.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formula One is dead. Bring back Luca and start Grand Prix racing

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

DoctorGonzo posted:

FOR FUCKS SAKE!

"we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms.”

They should change the word brand, because it doesn't resonate with their brand values.
(Etymology: The word, brand, derives from the ancient North Scandinavian term “brandr” meaning "to burn."
It is a reference to the practice of using branding irons to burn a mark into the hides of livestock)

In all seriousness, I kinda get that they wanted to change the grid girl thing.
But there would be a lot more hilarious ways to do it.

Now it just feels like they want to save on employee money so the fat cats upstairs can buy more sex-slaves to work on their Cayman island yachts.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddammit Liberty is loving awful and their vision of the future is formula E with stupid usgp intros

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Someone ask our American overlords if they intend on replacing them with cheerleaders, which are apparently a-ok in US sports.

All the good American sports teams (the Steelers) don't have cheerleaders.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Does this mean we are getting grid twinks?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh hells yeah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Does this mean we are getting grid twinks?

Unfair to ask Max to pull double duty.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Max is more gargoyle than twink.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

Ferrari won't be good again until they bring back gold wheels, I'm sorry that's just the rules

https://twitter.com/whenf1was/status/958622416837709824

If there was one thing the 1995 Forti FG01(The one with the green wheels) did right it was the paint scheme. Too bad about the rest of the car. However the 1996 car was much better, and had a good scheme as well, but sadly the money ran out;

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Grid girls are loving embarrassing in 2018, good riddance imho. If you're a sad middle aged man who needs to perv on women less than half your age to enjoy something there's this thing called the internet, you can access it any time you like.

Bring back gently caress off huge wreaths for the podium

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also, I found out that prior to taking Diniz on Ligier was going to run Robby Gordon in the second car. That would have been something.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like race queens/grid girls but it really won't effect my enjoyment of the sport if they ain't there.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

If you're a sad middle aged man who needs to perv on women less than half your age to enjoy something

"Ferrari fan" is a lot less characters to type

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

:getin:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Brace yourselves for my good opinions that you will call bad.

1. I don't mind the look of that new Formula E car. In fact, I think it's cool that they made it look different than F1 and LMP cars. With that said, it is admittedly a bit of a low effort "future/space/technology" design that looks like it was lifted from Speed Racer... but I'm willing to embrace it. Just think how glorious they will look after all the fins and cones have been smashed off (by lap 2).

AgentJotun posted:

Literally the best part of any podium is when the winner gets to walk through a honor guard of gorgeous women to go collect his trophy. That poo poo *is* F1.

2. Having grid girls was stupid. They should have been gone years ago. Yes, it's fun to watch the cringeworthy walk to the podium room, see what drivers try to sneak a peek with a camera right in their face, and see "which one's the prettiest". Lewis drenching one in champagne was pretty spectacular. But it's such a ludicrous concept to line the walls with generic pretty girls whose only purpose is to stand there while drivers walk past... like if someone tried to pitch that as a new idea they would probably end up killing themselves before they even finished. Cool as a "we have more money to throw around on dumb stuff than you'll ever see in your lifetime" F1 throwback, but completely stupid and pointless.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NtotheTC posted:

its tifosi, you loving moron

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

its tifosi, you loving moron

I've started to make an effort to distinguish tifosi from Ferrari fans. I felt I was being unfair on the tifosi. They're born in Italy and born into that culture and don't know any better so it's unfair to lump them in with the people that actually choose to support Team Brain-damage.

e: and being serious, I doubt the tifosi give a flying gently caress about grid girls unless you make them wear styrofoam Ferrari cosplay that covers them completely

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 31, 2018

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Considering this will all but eliminate women from F1, I suspect in the next couple of years teams will start hiring female drivers as an alternative to pay drivers (or at least reserve drivers), with sponsorship and marketing potential replacing good old fashioned boatloads of cash. There will have to be a Rooney rule equivalent somewhere down the line as well.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HJB posted:

Considering this will all but eliminate women from F1, I suspect in the next couple of years teams will start hiring female drivers as an alternative to pay drivers (or at least reserve drivers), with sponsorship and marketing potential replacing good old fashioned boatloads of cash. There will have to be a Rooney rule equivalent somewhere down the line as well.

Liberty would love to have a useless driver like Danica on F1

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
F1 shouldn't get rid of grid girls. Their bodies should just be completely covered instead. That way we won't be sure whether they're grid boys or grid girls and won't be sure whether to be outraged or not

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Plenty of useless male shites over the years, can't see why it would matter to have a useless woman other than reinforcing lovely stereotypes.

I'd like to see a female driver get into F1 on merit, but while getting sponsorship depends on a bunch of old men they're going to select women based on how they look rather than talent in a way they don't with men. There are some attractive men in F1 but most of the field wouldn't get a look in if they were women of comparable attractiveness.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Like each team and driver has it’s own mascot holding a sign?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should just have it be kids imo. Just pick some random young fans and have them hold signs and get to stand by the cool rear end cars and drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just have a blank cut out and composite in whatever local markets desire: Japan can have animes, Italy can have big titted mannequins, America can have crying eagles...

• Locked thread