Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Solomon David seems like the kind of guy who might almost give a poo poo about all the universes he rules.

Solomon david cares that giving a poo poo about all the universes he rules is something that someone with his self image of himself would do, but does not, himself, actually give a poo poo about all the universes he rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wild guess: solomon david wants to be royalty, and attempts to emulate it with his every thought and action. which is why he'll never attain it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Someone with the trade paperbacks: do they include any of the text bits from below the comic? What about the alt-text?

Also, since it got page buried immediately by the drop of a new comic, I'll ask again if anyone's got any opinions on how the RPG plays

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Someone with the trade paperbacks: do they include any of the text bits from below the comic? What about the alt-text?

Also, since it got page buried immediately by the drop of a new comic, I'll ask again if anyone's got any opinions on how the RPG plays

A few of the shorter and more important text quotes are included; Meti's Sword Manual is printed in its entirety in the first book. No to the alt-texts.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

wiegieman posted:

Jagganoth will be the most terrifying, come on.

Given that Jagganoth was a child soldier, his arc has the potential to be pretty fuckin' grim.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Korgan posted:

Calling it now, the thing he's looking for was in that box on his back all along, and there's going to be a laugh riot when he figures it out.

The laughter will cause the vault to collapse and make him lose it all over again, but for real this time!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This page reminds me of one of my favorite aspects of Astral Aves: making pacts and/or defusing situations with strange, otherworldly beings by being polite.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

White Coke posted:

The next arc is going to involve Solomon David's annual martial arts tournament. He'll be beaten either by having some crippling psychological vulnerability exploited, or getting smashed in the face with the universe.

Solomon David's only crippling psychological vulnerability just happens to be his fear of getting smashed in the face with the universe.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

So, did Tom and Abbadon decide to team up to each hit us with sad stories about poor old worn out dogs at the exact same time :(

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh my god Mammon, poor loving Mammon.

That last sentence was such a gut punch :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

wiegieman posted:

Jagganoth will be the most terrifying, come on.

But Jagganoth will be a friend I think

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

White Coke posted:

Solomon David has a crippling phobia of being beaten to death by the universe running out of beard conditioner.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I saw someone else note that Mammon is wrapping his tail around one of the pillars and wondered if it was the same idea as grooved flooring to help the visually impaired find their way around public spaces.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

But Jagganoth will be a friend I think

Y'know, I can see it. Jagganoth's long term dejected and isolation could be because he was fighting against the injustices of the universe, which he got a really heavy dose of, only to see himself become a part of it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

kill six billion demons: a tale of alternative therapy

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Seek Heaven By regular attendance of the support group, we're here for you

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

wild guess: solomon david wants to be royalty, and attempts to emulate it with his every thought and action. which is why he'll never attain it

My prediction: he's exactly the rational monster he seems, and he will be the most terrifying save Jadis. "Yes, I do enforce a legalistic nightmare on my empire. It is the optimal way to maximize desirable outcomes. Allison, you have certainly acquired enough power to have a likely probability of killing me, and the rules I created say that the winner of my tournament may face me in single combat. I will not abrogate them.

However, consider this: I estimate that one hundred and one million people across my worlds will die during the interregium as you struggle to consolidate control. You lack both the ability and inclination to manage an interstellar empire, so your reign will undoubtedly see increased morbidity and decreases across all significant health and quality of life indicators. Literacy and industrial production may never fully recover. Should you choose to abdicate and dissolve the empire, the Ta-at faction will go to war against the Vellung within twelve years, and the genocide of the Vellung will likely be complete within twenty two years of the initiation of hostilities. Also, good luck with the food riots: this year's crop of rice failed last week. So, Al-Ysun, are you willing to do what it takes to become King? "

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

My prediction: he's exactly the rational monster he seems, and he will be the most terrifying save Jadis. "Yes, I do enforce a legalistic nightmare on my empire. It is the optimal way to maximize desirable outcomes. Allison, you have certainly acquired enough power to have a likely probability of killing me, and the rules I created say that the winner of my tournament may face me in single combat. I will not abrogate them.

However, consider this: I estimate that one hundred and one million people across my worlds will die during the interregium as you struggle to consolidate control. You lack both the ability and inclination to manage an interstellar empire, so your reign will undoubtedly see increased morbidity and decreases across all significant health and quality of life indicators. Literacy and industrial production may never fully recover. Should you choose to abdicate and dissolve the empire, the Ta-at faction will go to war against the Vellung within twelve years, and the genocide of the Vellung will likely be complete within twenty two years of the initiation of hostilities. Also, good luck with the food riots: this year's crop of rice failed last week. So, Al-Ysun, are you willing to do what it takes to become King? "

This perfectly encapsulates both the dread horror and dread appeal of neoliberal technocracy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ah yes, the Mandate of Heaven dilemma.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mottom is still hovering outside in her palace, lest y'all forgot.

poo poo's about to get real.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dead Reckoning posted:

Doesn't say much for the competence of his civil service if the whole thing comes crashing down just because the head of state gets a new face.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Malpais Legate posted:

Mottom is still hovering outside in her palace, lest y'all forgot.

poo poo's about to get real.

Yeah I think Mottom’s gonna pop in and be rude to Mammon, loving poo poo up for everyone.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think there's anything particularly neo-liberal about it: you could construct a similar argument about pre-war Iraq for example.

I've always thought of it more as, "you're ready to rebel, but are you prepared to rule?" Allison isn't quite yet willing to coldly expend others in pursuit of her vision the way most revolutionaries and claimants to the throne are yet.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Doesn't say much for the competence of his civil service if the whole thing comes crashing down just because the head of state gets a new face.
DJT has managed to gently caress up the state department & NPS and shut down the government in a year, and that was with the outgoing incumbent doing everything possible to give him a smooth handoff.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 31, 2018

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dead Reckoning posted:

DJT has managed to gently caress up the state department & NPS and shut down the government in a year, and that was with the outgoing incumbent doing everything possible to give him a smooth handoff.

thats on purpose tho, the system is and also that specific administration are designed thusly, if the king of one seventh of all creation wanted to have a good civil service it would look nothing like modern america

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A smart immortal intelligent dictator would probably not be worried about the chance of them no longer bring around with the whole 7-way stalemate going on. If you assume this then taking as much direct control as possible to ensure compliance/everything works as intended isn't a bad idea.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Making yourself indispensable is also an old trick of tyrants to ward off rebellions. Both because it makes it harder for opposition to organize, and to create the argument Dead Reckoning suggested in the first place.

EDIT: It's the governmental policy version of a wiring the building to blow and holding a dead man's switch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jagganoth is quite clearly a Large Adult Son

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Making yourself indispensable is also an old trick of tyrants to ward off rebellions. Both because it makes it harder for opposition to organize, and to create the argument Dead Reckoning suggested in the first place.
The irritating part is, jut because you know they're doing it on purpose doesn't mean that they haven't succeeded at preventing any viable alternative to their rule from forming.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

VanSandman posted:

Yeah I think Mottom’s gonna pop in and be rude to Mammon, loving poo poo up for everyone.

At which point Incubus flashes the high sign and Jagganoth Kool Aid Mans through somewhere and everything goes to poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Archenteron posted:

At which point Incubus flashes the high sign and Jagganoth Kool Aid Mans through somewhere and everything goes to poo poo

:getin:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Solomon David's gonna be a total bro who encounters Allison, realizes she's completely right about his flaws as a demiurge and pledges his full support to the group as part of his quest to become a better person. Allison will defeat him completely nonviolently, with a solution that's the best for everyone.

And so he'll completely deny us a cool cosmic kung-fu battle. The truest villainy of all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Precambrian posted:

Solomon David's gonna be a total bro who encounters Allison, realizes she's completely right about his flaws as a demiurge and pledges his full support to the group as part of his quest to become a better person. Allison will defeat him completely nonviolently, with a solution that's the best for everyone.

And so he'll completely deny us a cool cosmic kung-fu battle. The truest villainy of all.

I'm so into this I probably just tore it in half on some metaphysical level.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

violent sex idiot posted:

if the king of one seventh of all creation anyone wanted to have a good civil service it would look nothing like modern america

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Wow, what a sad dog :(

And to the poster before wondering about Mammons skull - I think he's using a decaying whale skull as a reference for Mammaon snout, like the one below.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gally posted:

And to the poster before wondering about Mammons skull - I think he's using a decaying whale skull as a reference for Mammaon snout, like the one below.

Is Mammon Keter-class?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still miss his bug mouth.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

This also certainly implies that the Priests of the Count are running his entire empire/bank in his name, and dumping gold in as a matter of course. Maybe to keep him busy?

they all felt sorry for him and decided to help the nice old man out

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PMush Perfect posted:

Is Mammon Keter-class?

Nice.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gally posted:

My dog is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gally posted:

We do specifically see his jaws hinge horizontally in the latest page, though.

Boy got proper squid-mouth.