Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yeah that dude basically bought in 2017, sold later and made 40k profit. He owes 15k taxes for 2017. Probelm is he bought back in later in 2017 and is now down in 2018. So if he sells now it won’t offset that gain (and lower the tax bill) because it’s in a different tax year.

He will be able to carry forward this loss to offset any future gains (if he ever has any more).

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah that dude basically bought in 2017, sold later and made 40k profit. He owes 15k taxes for 2017. Probelm is he bought back in later in 2017 and is now down in 2018. So if he sells now it won’t offset that gain (and lower the tax bill) because it’s in a different tax year.

He will be able to carry forward this loss to offset any future gains (if he ever has any more).

Correct which is why if you're stupid enough to invest your whole life savings with nothing left in your bank account to pay taxes with, then as soon as you realize the gain you HAVE to set aside that 35% of the money and transfer to bank. Then invest the remaining 65% only.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lote posted:

These are called “wash sales”. If you sell then rebuy a stock within 30 days and the price hasn’t changed significantly, it counts back to when you originally bought it.

The wash sale rule doesn't apply to crypto (it's property, not stock).

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

mojo1701a posted:

Not to mention Bitcoin overall has been an abject lesson in the history of economics, and why letting free rein of markets is not a good idea.

They started at the South Sea Bubble, learned about Mr. Ponzi, went through 1920s bucket shops, and have just experienced 1990s boiler rooms. It is a very thorough education.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

They started at the South Sea Bubble, learned about Mr. Ponzi, went through 1920s bucket shops, and have just experienced 1990s boiler rooms. It is a very thorough education.

Great analogy. Disrupting the study of economics! It’s been amazing watching it from the sidelines and your post just put it all in the historical context (apart from the oft quoted tulip mania)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LOL at all the scrubs who sold their tulips

HODL at all costs, my family still has those tulips to this day

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pawn 17 posted:

What form do you use when your exchange closes, runs away with your money, and posts penus?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

jay z's sedan posted:

so what is Tether really

I came up with a better answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKOWcs8w54

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Burt Sexual posted:

What form do you use when your exchange closes, runs away with your money, and posts penus?

R/bitcoin

Edit: form 101

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

cosmin posted:

Great analogy. Disrupting the study of economics! It’s been amazing watching it from the sidelines and your post just put it all in the historical context (apart from the oft quoted tulip mania)

Bitcoin is also a giant "pump and dump" scheme.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

joats posted:

Bitcoin is also a giant "pump and dump" scheme.

It's a *hint hint* pump and dump scheme. For a real automated pump and dump you want powhcoin:

https://themerkle.com/ethereum-now-has-its-own-self-sustaining-pyramid-scheme/

Choice quotes:

"PoWHCoin is by far one of the most intriguing concepts in this regard. Its entire algorithm is based upon something called Proof of Weak Hands, hence the name PoWHCoin. Rather than use proof of stake, the project will distribute money from new token purchases to existing investors. As a result, being one of the first investors in this pyramid scheme will net you a fair amount of tokens as dividends."

"It will be a coin that “pumps and dumps itself” on a regular basis. For every token purchased, the smart contract will automatically increase the price of future tokens by a small percentage. "

Guess what? People already threw over a million $USD into it and are not stopping.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 31, 2018

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
BTW I'm pretty new to stocks. I started around 6 months ago and have been putting about 200 from each paycheck into the market usually buying dips that bounce back up. I find it all really fascinating. Can any goons share some insight, learning tools, links, or some forum thread that I missed?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

joats posted:

BTW I'm pretty new to stocks. I started around 6 months ago and have been putting about 200 from each paycheck into the market usually buying dips that bounce back up. I find it all really fascinating. Can any goons share some insight, learning tools, links, or some forum thread that I missed?

There's a whole investing subforum here...

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Babbys first capital gains

I thought I just made money and got lambos? Is lie!!!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Rad Russian posted:

There's a whole investing subforum here...

G'damnit, I swear I looked for one.

Thank you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

joats posted:

i'm no expert but i understand that these are the two basic principles of investing:

- buy Lowe's

- sell while high

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Dmitri-9 posted:

And you get the satisfaction of seeing Bitcoiners slowly reinvent the wheel without realizing it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

joats posted:

Don't believe the hype and pay attention to the bond yield curve.

Old but related:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/SB118681265755995100

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Rad Russian posted:

It's a *hint hint* pump and dump scheme. For a real automated pump and dump you want powhcoin:

https://themerkle.com/ethereum-now-has-its-own-self-sustaining-pyramid-scheme/

Choice quotes:

"PoWHCoin is by far one of the most intriguing concepts in this regard. Its entire algorithm is based upon something called Proof of Weak Hands, hence the name PoWHCoin. Rather than use proof of stake, the project will distribute money from new token purchases to existing investors. As a result, being one of the first investors in this pyramid scheme will net you a fair amount of tokens as dividends."

"It will be a coin that “pumps and dumps itself” on a regular basis. For every token purchased, the smart contract will automatically increase the price of future tokens by a small percentage. "

Guess what? People already threw over a million $USD into it and are not stopping.

Chadzok posted:

That dumbass Proof of Weak Hands meta-ponzi (barely 3 days old) has become another example of why smart contracts are a loving stupid idea. $1million more dollars lost forever in the ether aether because of a single line of code.

https://powhcoin.com/shadowfork.html

In case it gets removed or whatever:

quote:

Contract threw an exception and everyone is stuck HODLING, the meme accidentally became a reality. You're all going to have diamond hands until the ethereum network dies.

To put it in Laymans terms, the eth is all stuck in the contract because the robot that was giving it out thinks its going to take infintie gas to divvy out negative dividends caused by a programming error on a single line of division.

The only way to have this fixed is to have a hard-ethereum fork to before the contract existed, which means you're going to have to contact eth devs.

If you want to pay respects, the contract is here. https://etherscan.io/address/0x9f4f...740ae7b88b880d7

We know it's a gently caress up, so here come join the Discord and get a JUST tag so we know that you were JUSTED along with the rest of us, https://discord.gg/HetjJWW

We'll go through a careful revision and bring everyone in the discord into the ground of a fixed shadowfork

Stay in touch, we'll carry you guys out of this

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

joats posted:

G'damnit, I swear I looked for one.

Thank you.

turns out changing subforum names permanently as a joke makes them harder to find and is dumb

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Inept posted:

turns out changing subforum names permanently as a joke makes them harder to find and is dumb

Bitcoin is literally in the name of it, is that not the first thing that comes to mind when u think investments?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Fallows posted:

Bitcoin is literally in the name of it, is that not the first thing that comes to mind when u think investments?

Of course, but it's under ASK/TELL.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Inept posted:

Let me tell you about dumb. Some rubes are calling buttcoin "bitcoin," which is really dumb, because that might cause confusion with the real bcash.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Oh nice! Guess I don't keep up with coin news enough. That's even funnier.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

joats posted:

If you're serious about this, the answer is don't day trade. Put your money in low fee index funds (usually Vanguard is your best bet) at a consistent interval (i.e. on your payday, or 2 days after your payday). Don't try to time anything, and don't withdraw.

If you're just getting started tbh most of your money should be going into a Roth IRA (up to $5,500 per year). You can withdraw the original contributions for any/no reason without penalty if you need to.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Andy Dufresne posted:

Don't try to time anything, and don't withdraw.

Yeah it's basically like birth control. If you're planning on just doing it at the right time or are relying on pulling out before it's too late, you're going to ruin your life.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Adar posted:

The wash sale rule doesn't apply to crypto (it's property, not stock).

What’s to prevent people from generating losses without changing their position? IE what the wash sale rule was designed to prevent?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
e: actually idk I guess but if they are taxing BTC under capital gains I'd be surprised if the wash rule didn't apply. It's not specifically just 'stocks' it is assets?

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Lote posted:

What’s to prevent people from generating losses without changing their position? IE what the wash sale rule was designed to prevent?

Nothing, it's a loophole until laws are updated. Which they should since most people trade crypto just like the do stocks, not like general property. Rule is written very narrowly to apply to stocks and securities so bitcoin is clearly not it, but this has not been challenged in courts yet as far as I know

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 31, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Bitfinex again $180 above the others, I assume people are arbitraging the poo poo out of that?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I thought the tax rules for cryptocurrencies weren't changed until January of this year.

Do they retroactively cover 2017 like that?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I thought the tax rules for cryptocurrencies weren't changed until January of this year.

Do they retroactively cover 2017 like that?

They simplified tax code guidelines for crypto and officially stated that crypto is property as of 2018 tax year and follows most normal property capital gains laws. So it's safe to treat it similarly for previous years which had no such clear guidelines.

Crypto still has a shitload of loopholes though if you know what you're doing, especially setting up your own LLC to trade because LOL tax laws take years to catch up. Winklevoss's and others are definitely taking advantage of all these loopholes which is probably why they jumped into it in the first place - to take advantage of everybody else just day trading blind for the first time in their life on GDAX or whatever.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 31, 2018

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

hah, when i search "bitcoin to usd" i no longer get the current "rates"

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

COMRADES posted:

That means his income is around the mid six figures anyway so it's not like he can't absorb the loss tbh.

Rad Russian posted:

The positive of all this is that bitcoiners are slowly getting educated on tax laws and investment regulations for a low low price of $15K+ of their money (and possibly jail time for the hordes in reddit advocating just hiding everything from IRS).

Also it's hilarious that the 35% bracket guy making $200-500K a year has no understanding of basic capital gains tax laws.
He's probably talking about federal+state capital gains tax, not just federal.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Double Bill posted:

Bitfinex again $180 above the others, I assume people are arbitraging the poo poo out of that?
$180 is only 1.8% which is pretty narrow for arbitrage since you have to deal with exchange fees and transfer times. It's risky because the price can move enough in that time to ruin your arbitrage.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

joats posted:

Don't do that. Just do index funds man. You ain't gonna beat the market.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Uranium 235 posted:

$180 is only 1.8% which is pretty narrow for arbitrage since you have to deal with exchange fees and transfer times. It's risky because the price can move enough in that time to ruin your arbitrage.

A 1% arbitrage is huge. I remember when I was in Vegas and there was a 1% arb on World Cup soccer. People were going crazy.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
etherium is divorcing from bitcoin today and is going to hold value as bitcoin plummets.

Meet your new cryptoGod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ElGroucho posted:

Don't do that. Just do index funds man. You ain't gonna beat the market.

Warren buffet famously beat hedge funds with ETFs recently, I believe.