Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anthony Bourdain is a celebrity chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
A chief is both a leader of a native American tribe and a rank of enlisted U.S. Sailor.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
A ladder is a thing you use to reach high places.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

A chief is both a leader of a native American tribe and a rank of enlisted U.S. Sailor.

Both at once of course

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know what I got caught up in, I was just trying to make a dumb seinfeld reference.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Colander Crotch posted:

A ladder is a thing you use to reach high places.

'Ladder' is 'trap' in Dutch. Just want to bring the discussion back to the main topic.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
"Guy Gets a Letter From The Pentagon"

r/humansbeingbros is so chock full of pure wankers. Is this patient zero of the "reply letter that unrealistically references every detail of the wacky/zany/cute initial letter so that an audience can read it and know exactly how wacky/zany/cute the writer is" trope?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When will stdh writers learn that real organizations, especially the government, won't list all of your funny punchlines in responding to you? If you even get an email response at all (which is EXTREMELY unlikely), it will be one or two lines. That's even ignoring the blatant lack of understanding of physics and just injecting a bunch of jargon in it to make it sound official. There may be some exceptions when someone isn't doing their job right, but if you email the military about something classified which that would most likely be, they would just redirect you to some secretary that will brush you off, if they respond at all.

also that drawing looks a LOT more recent than 1978.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I kind of want to believe that the Navy some random would receive some terrible sketches from a 5 year old and that one of them would want to not hurt their feelings enough to send an in-character response on (fake) Navy stationery.

Then again, it's easier to cut out the middleman.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

maswastaken posted:

I kind of want to believe that the Navy some random would receive some terrible sketches from a 5 year old and that one of them would want to not hurt their feelings enough to send an in-character response on (fake) Navy stationery.

Then again, it's easier to cut out the middleman.

One thing I've learned from emailing with people like that is they have no sense of humor and even if they like you you'll get two sentence responses instead of one. Even in response to a kid, you very likely aren't supposed to talk about the stuff in that email. I didn't even work for the military, just a government lab, and I'm 99% sure an email (or back then in fake timeline, a letter) like that would have gotten me fired.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
If it was a real response back, why would he bother censoring the name of the Navy guy responder?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That letter is in fantastic shape for being 40 years old.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Anybody want to analyze the font and see if it even existed back then? (I remember this being a thing on something else a while back but I don't remember what)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Garrand posted:

Anybody want to analyze the font and see if it even existed back then? (I remember this being a thing on something else a while back but I don't remember what)

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90133083/microsofts-calibri-font-at-center-of-political-scandal

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

"Guy Gets a Letter From The Pentagon"

r/humansbeingbros is so chock full of pure wankers. Is this patient zero of the "reply letter that unrealistically references every detail of the wacky/zany/cute initial letter so that an audience can read it and know exactly how wacky/zany/cute the writer is" trope?

But a Pentagon is that mall place with sticky sweet rolls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I can't come into work. I have 24 hour diabetes. Yeah, it's contagious. Doctor thinks I should be all right by Friday though. All right, thanks mate, see you then.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"No, no, no, we weren't just drinking soda until we puked! That's for amateurs."

All I can think of is that "college hack" posted in the lifehacks thread a while back about how, if you want to get dismissed from class, just eat a cigarette butt and you'll puke within the hour and have an excuse! Because going to lecture is worse than eating a loving cigarette butt or, in this (fake) case, having a loving seizure?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Antivehicular posted:

"No, no, no, we weren't just drinking soda until we puked! That's for amateurs."

All I can think of is that "college hack" posted in the lifehacks thread a while back about how, if you want to get dismissed from class, just eat a cigarette butt and you'll puke within the hour and have an excuse! Because going to lecture is worse than eating a loving cigarette butt or, in this (fake) case, having a loving seizure?

As an Authentic Epileptic, I would like to say they look horrific, but are not painful. They are certainly less painful than that one TA's labs.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I don't think high blood sugar cause seizures in the first place does it? Maybe a coma if it's really high? But not seizures.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Garrand posted:

No-one used computers to print letters in 1978. It's supposed to be typed on a typewriter, and it's clearly not. It's obviously printed on a modern laser printer.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

sunken fleet posted:

I don't think high blood sugar cause seizures in the first place does it? Maybe a coma if it's really high? But not seizures.

Absolutely it can. Either hyper- or hypoglycemia can cause seizures. As a matter of fact, hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) actually lowers the body's seizure threshold.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

it's clearly not. It's obviously printed on a modern laser printer.

How can you tell? Not being a smarts genuinely curious

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

looks like its typed on letterhead fed through an electric typewriter

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m trying to nitpick the poo poo out of that letter but failing because I can’t remember if my orders and official letters in the Army had the Dept of the Army seal or the Dept of Defense seal. Basically that was the first thing that jumped out, saying Dept of the Navy but having the DoD seal. I don’t remember for sure though. It probably all had DoD on it :shrug:

The letter is clearly fake, though. Any EMAIL like that nowadays now would be sent on a Secret laptop over a SIPR just for having that info in it, so I imagine in 78 there might be a courier involved. The fact that no one would take the time to write a letter like that in reply is also relevant, if anyone bothered at all

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Former DILF posted:

an electric typewriter

It's called a printer grandpa

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

It did on an episode of house

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tunicate posted:

It did on an episode of house

That was Lupus.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Furia posted:

How can you tell? Not being a smarts genuinely curious

This is what something printed on a typewriter from that time looks like. You can see that every character slightly differs in its position, colour intensity, and they overall look very uneven compared to the letter in stdh.

E: and with dot matrix printer, you can see dots of course.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

gschmidl posted:

That was Lupus.

No, it's never lupus.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
It was actually Lapis

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It was paraneoplastic syndrome.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

It was actually Lapis

It was Bob.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
(Planet Bob)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volcott posted:

(Planet Bob)

I’m never calling it that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m never calling it that.

You don't have to live on Bob.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://imgur.com/gallery/mRm9E

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mohammad's Witnesses?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

That's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is what the OP said in response to someone.

What a loving idiot. I don't know poo poo about Islam or Christianity but I know more than this jackass.