Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Has TD implemented an API or are you simply handing over your banking login still ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Do you really have to ask, bruv?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rouliroul posted:

Not sure why no one ever mentions labor sponsored funds in any canadian investment threads and blogs anywhere. The extra 30-35% tax credit makes it a no brainer imo.

The reason for this is that the returns have historically been so bad that no, an up front 30-35% tax credit isn't enough to make up for it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

James Baud posted:

The reason for this is that the returns have historically been so bad that no, an up front 30-35% tax credit isn't enough to make up for it.

*ding ding ding*

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/shaw-to-downsize-workforce-estimates-about-650-will-accept-voluntary-packages-1.23158779
https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...pectations.html

Leaning towards taking it. It's six months pay plus one month per year of service. I'd be looking at somewhere around $50,000 before tax, plus stock options.

I only have a high-school diploma, so I'm thinking of this being a golden opportunity to get some post-secondary education. I've got no debt, and my rent is pretty good for where I'm living. Is this pretty much a no-brainer decision?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is a pretty good package. Given your situation, yeah.

Just pick a degree that will have a return. As a presumably mature student you’re going to want to be more directed in how you earn your education.

I went back at the end of my 20s and it was far and away the best thing I’ve done career wise.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Guess I'm gonna have to do some research on what to go to school for, then. I'm in my early 30s, so no better time for a career change, I suppose. Being a mature student will be a huge advantage, since younger me would probably have wasted time loving around.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, that’s what happened for me. I wouldn’t have had the breadth of experience that makes education so much more relevant nor would I have taken it so seriously if I were still just out of high school. It was overall very positive.

I went into supply chain management. Be the person doing the cuts instead of the one being cut.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The advice I followed when I was faced with a similar decision years ago was figure out the bare minimum you would need to continue paying your bills and living and assess whether or not in a worst case scenario you would be able to find a job at that amount easily and quickly. Shaw has done similar massive restructuring like 7 out of the last 8 years so any talk they have of people building careers there is pretty much dead in the water. If you can make that work, it's usually worth it to take the money and use it to re-invest in retirement or school and work somewhere.

I think it's also worth it as well to see if there's any government programs you can use to support going back to school. I know there's a program that gives you EI-like payments if you have worked full-time and are now in school full-time and unable to continue working full-time due to the schedule, I'm not sure how the severance plays into that though.

Also keep in mind that any severance counts as income and you have to pay income tax on it. When I took a severance two jobs it was near the end of the calendar year and the majority of it ended up getting taxed in the highest bracket.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There's the option to get it all at once, or splitting it between two years. I'll have to crunch the numbers, but it sounds like the second option would be the better one.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You could take the severance and put it into your RRSP with the intention of taking it out during the years in school when you’ll be in a lower tax bracket. (Note I’ve never done this so am making an assumption that this would work. You should verify this if nobody corrects me.)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you are interested in riding the weed boom career-wise, I highly advise you get QA certification of some kind. The licensing requirements for cannabis producers have significant QA requirements, and every time a new grow op or extract lab is founded, they need a new QA manager.

This is particularly true if you have any experience in a regulated industry, any agricultural or pharmaceutical experience, or experience working with automated systems.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Guess I'm gonna have to do some research on what to go to school for, then. I'm in my early 30s, so no better time for a career change, I suppose. Being a mature student will be a huge advantage, since younger me would probably have wasted time loving around.

If you're the type of person who thinks they would enjoy intense critical care hospital work I went to school for respiratory therapy in my late 20s and I'm really happy with it. I get a lot of adrenaline at work and it's a super independent role, well respected, etc. It's a 3 year diploma or 4 year degree (Bachelors in Health Science). If you already have a degree it's a 2 year diploma. We make around $80k a year currently (gross). I can tell you more about it if you're interested just PM me - I'm in BC so I don't know much about schools out of my province.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lots of stuff to research, thanks for the advice folks. We got our offers today, and it ended up more than we were expecting so I'll probably go for it and head back to school. The mood here is pretty exciting. I'll probably PM some of you folks as I stumble through figuring out what I'm gonna do.

Anything I should know to make sure I'm being smart about taking and using the severance? $51k, plus $5k-$10k of options, depending on how stuff pans out in the next little bit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Double check that you are still eligible for EI after taking the severance. If you are, make sure to apply for EI right away to maintain eligibility.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Double check that you are still eligible for EI after taking the severance. If you are, make sure to apply for EI right away to maintain eligibility.

You can apply for EI right away, but you won't get any until the severance is "used up" or however they phrase it. If you get 8 months severance it's after 8 months.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'll have a little over a year's worth in my case, and I'm not planning on being a NEET for that long. After my exit date, depending on how much time I have between work and school I'm probably gonna finish my bike trip in Japan, and maybe check out Taiwan and Korea as well. It was surprisingly cheap when I did it last year since I was camping for most of it. I'm guessing that's going to mess up EI eligibility in some way if I end up needing it?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'll have a little over a year's worth in my case, and I'm not planning on being a NEET for that long. After my exit date, depending on how much time I have between work and school I'm probably gonna finish my bike trip in Japan, and maybe check out Taiwan and Korea as well. It was surprisingly cheap when I did it last year since I was camping for most of it. I'm guessing that's going to mess up EI eligibility in some way if I end up needing it?

Why would it? I don't think you need to be in the country to claim EI. Hell I have friends who took their newborn to Thailand for three months of their parental leave.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Why would it? I don't think you need to be in the country to claim EI. Hell I have friends who took their newborn to Thailand for three months of their parental leave.

Parental leave doesn't require that you're looking for work, though.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

You definitely need to be in the country to claim EI legally unless you are going for a job interview or dealing with a weird situation like a family death.

Doesn’t mean you can’t claim EI, leave, and hope you don’t get caught ya pogey loving bastards.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Why would it? I don't think you need to be in the country to claim EI.

One of the first questions that gets asked when you do a bi-weekly EI report is "Did you leave Canada during the time period?"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So it sounds like I should apply for it after leaving the country and coming back, if needed.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
When you are claiming EI each week, they specifically ask you if you are willing and able to work for a job if called upon. For the severance time period I don't think this matters. So start the EI claim immediately after taking the severance, and make sure you are in the country when you are clicking the checkboxes for EI claims after your severance.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Also, the severance would be reported to cra by your former employer so some government agency would know about it, but I'm not sure if it'll show up on your record of employment. When filling out the EI reports they ask about receiving money for any reason, you would click yes when the severance comes through and they'll ask for you to call to clarify.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
When I got paid out severance it was just added to my total income on my t4. Mind you it was only 4K so YMMV

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

You absolutely do need to be in the country (barring some edge cases). IIRC the penalty for getting caught receiving EI when you shouldn't is up to double the amount back

You just need to inform them you're leaving.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Vanguard is launching some "all in one" balanced ETFs to compete with robo-advisers. Great if following CCP is too much work for you but you're otherwise willing to buy during market hours. Still higher MERs than if you buy a mix of funds yourself (esp if you just rebalance when you buy more), but undeniably a great option anyway.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/indv/en/product.html#/productType=etf&assetClass=balanced

Guess I don't have an excuse to not liquidate my remaining Tangerine index funds.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 1, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah, saw that this morning and it seemed pretty cool. Beats tangerine and TD/BMO offerings by a large margin. My parents seem to like being fleeced by mutual fund salesman but maybe 'buy this and do nothing' might be simple enough for them to make the jump.

I'm curious as to the tax implications of this - since it's a wrapper on other funds, would rebalancing within the funds trigger capital gains within the overall fund? Would distributions be considered eligible? Would withholding from VTI induce extra drag?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jan posted:

One of the first questions that gets asked when you do a bi-weekly EI report is "Did you leave Canada during the time period?"

When I was on EI years ago I went to the states for a long weekend and they deducted one day of EI from me :argh:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Anyone get replies on their Home Trust visa applications yet?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Yeast Confection posted:

I haven't. Allegedly they have a manual underwriting process, and are probably swamped with applications given the Amazon card's demise.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Yeast Confection posted:

I got an email confirmation a couple days back saying it would be another 3-4 weeks to process.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Cold on a Cob posted:

Vanguard is launching some "all in one" balanced ETFs to compete with robo-advisers. Great if following CCP is too much work for you but you're otherwise willing to buy during market hours. Still higher MERs than if you buy a mix of funds yourself (esp if you just rebalance when you buy more), but undeniably a great option anyway.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/indv/en/product.html#/productType=etf&assetClass=balanced

Guess I don't have an excuse to not liquidate my remaining Tangerine index funds.

So how does it work exactly. Is it basically the same as me just buying the tangerine index funds. Little to no brain power, I just throw money at the portfolio until I want to withdraw?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I got my Fido card already, the one with the 4% back on foreign transactions (and 2.5% exchange fee for a net 1.5% reward). I ordered it a week ago.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Square Peg posted:

I got my Fido card already, the one with the 4% back on foreign transactions (and 2.5% exchange fee for a net 1.5% reward). I ordered it a week ago.

Something that you need to be aware of is that if you buy some thing in a foreign currency, and then return the item or refund it you'll be dinged the 2.5% transaction fee as fido takes back the 4% cashback on returns/refunds.

an example is if you book a hotel with the Fido MC but then cancel your reservation because you got sick, you'll need to pay the 2.5% transaction fee when you get refunded, since fido takes their 4% cashback away.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Chillyrabbit posted:

So how does it work exactly. Is it basically the same as me just buying the tangerine index funds. Little to no brain power, I just throw money at the portfolio until I want to withdraw?

It's like buying shares in a stock. You need a brokerage account, and you can only purchase whole units when the market is open.

I'm far from an expert, I just follow the Canadian Couch Potato plan. There's an FAQ on his website about ETF investing, this can help you:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/couch-potato-faq/

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Cold on a Cob posted:

It's like buying shares in a stock. You need a brokerage account, and you can only purchase whole units when the market is open.

I'm far from an expert, I just follow the Canadian Couch Potato plan. There's an FAQ on his website about ETF investing, this can help you:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/couch-potato-faq/

I mean I already have an account with Questrade, I rebalance every year with my Christmas bonus since penny packets investing doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't want to keep on recalculating to find out how much of each share I need. I also have tangerine mutual funds since it's basically just investing with no thinking when I was still in school.

If its basically the same as the tangerine funds, but in the ETF platform I'll probably start investing more in Questrade.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Dear stocks, stop going down.

TIA

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right thread, so please feel free to train me to the right one, but:

My mortgage term is up in six months, and I just got an automatic renewal "special offer" from my bank. I know that the automatic renewals are generally a bad deal, but in this case I think the system processed it before the most recent prime rate increase. One of the offers is for a 5-year closed fixed term at 3.51%, but what I'm reading seems to indicate that a 5-year closed variable term would be coming in around 3.45% right now. I'm thinking that the current trend makes further hikes in the next five years pretty likely.

Sooooo is that a decent offer, or should I try to beat 'em down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Go get some quotes from other lenders, with those quotes in hand show your current lender, bargaining can commence