Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Junkenstein posted:

So Morgan is rightly lauded for writing some of the best episodes of anything ever, but apart from the X Files, he hasn't really done much, even in this age of endless great TV. What's up with that?

He's very successful in an alternate universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy on the Witness protection screen looked familiar. Anyone know if he's from the series before?

He was also the mafia guy in the picture with the doctor in the documentary.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

Best lil Easter egg for me was the pic of Ted Cruz on the conspiracy board. A relative asked me if that was the Zodiac killer. I said “yes... yes it is.”
I’ve been really iffy on the new eps but this and the Were one were perfect for me. I could gladly never see another conspiracy plot and watch nothing but these and Motw

Sugarboobs... heh

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where they taking Reggie??!

Goddamn these make the poo poo seasons worth it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Finally caught up with these! Quick thoughts...

My Struggle II
I'm sort of glad Carter mashed the reset button, as the last series was just horrid. Sadly the rest of the episode really felt like it was relying on that hook at the end as it just felt stuffed with padding. In some way it feels like Carter trying to wipe the slate clean of the whole myth-arc that just went up it's arse and painting the Syndicate as a bunch of has-beens was one way to wipe the slate. Interestingly the aliens not being interested is sort of reflected in the latest episode.

This
And we're back to form, even if it's in the middle of the road. It really did capture some of that old style "gov up to no good" mystery and fight for the truth before it gets hidden that the early seasons were great at doing. I guess using Russian paramilitary groups is the only way to make it work as the series seems willing to point out how inept the Government is. Some of the editing in that fight scene at the start was a bit iffy. And I did like that little end gag where they toss aside the X-file as there's some redundancy in them being scanned.

Plus One
Getting back to basics with a script that really felt like it was from an early season 2-3 story. I get the feeling they are trying to get back to what made it "great" in the 90's and sticking to the sceptic / believer pattern worked for the most part. The attempt to add an emotional subplot to Scully feeling over the hill was a bit of a stretch. The MOTW was pretty decent but didn't really drive into memorable beyond the performance.

The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat
Darin Morgan's scripts are always packed with meta upon meta references and somehow doesn't go off the rails despite careening into the fantastic. Morgan in this case skewers the post-truth madness that takes the wind out of grand conspiracies, but also has a very clever play on the notion of nostalgia, namely how the audience remembers the X-files or the fact that it is really long in the tooth and "isn't as good as it was".

Adding to that was how incorrect recollections or bad memories over the years creates a Mandela effect. Reggie somewhat reflects the audience and their participation or personal ownership of the series. The silly inserts really were a fun way to poke at commenting on the absurdity of the show at times; "the one with the... killer cats, stretchy guy, inbred families" and ultimately leading to Darin Morgan himself getting shot.

Scully's line about eating her childhood jello and Mulder's lost episode encapsulates breaking the nostalgia bubble . Despite her fantastic grin, she realises that eating this would break this feeling as it's impossible to really re-live the feeling. Mulder feels defeated over solving his mystery, only to have it get destroyed leaving only memories.

It might go a bit deeper with the issues regarding the remastering of the X-files's early seasons that have faults in the opening titles and the fact that watching them again is a bit like a whole new experience as it's in high def, not some grainy DVD or tiny TV screen.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 28, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

business hammocks posted:

What documentary? In episode? I was watching it and playing vidja games

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What documentary? In episode? I was watching it and playing vidja games

The youtube documentary about Dr. They that Reggie plays on his phone. There’s a photo portrait shown for a split-second of They with a mafia guy. The photo of him with his research team also has an awkward guy in the back wearing a plastic poncho or something with the hood up, almost totally obscured by others, which I figured would have some kind of payoff but didn’t.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Goddammit, I walk by those creepy-rear end laughing Chinese statues in English Bay all the time, but I never noticed until watching this episode that they have nipples. :aaa:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Huh, I thought they were all CG and mostly green screen.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They're real, it's a pretty unforgettable Vancouver landmark. The only CG in that scene is the American flags added in the background.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The trump stuff was a bit too on the nose I thought but otherwise this was loving amazing. I already said this last season but they really need to pull a Star Wars and get Carter out of the creative process at this point. The show just has such an endless potential for goofy or bizarre MOTW episodes that it could easily run for seasons off that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have been grateful that since the first episode there hasn't been a mention of William. Now that I've said that the rest of the season it's sure to be all about that plotline.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 30, 2018

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The trump stuff was a bit too on the nose

I don't think anything related to Trump can be too "on the nose." We're in a post "on the nose" society haha... sigh

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I have been grateful that since the first episode there hasn't been a mention of William. Now that I've said that the rest of the season it's sure to be all about that plotline.

I think the upcoming episode is about him, or at least partly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Fancy Hat posted:

This whole season has been knocking it out of the park. If it ends, at least it's going out with a really strong season.

I agree whole heartedly. Even My Struggle III, which is kind of the perfect encapsulation of Chris Carter ridiculousness. Even if the last two episodes are bad I'll be happy with this as a final season.

Honestly, I look forward to going out with some convoluted Carter banger. It just wouldn't be The X-Files otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bonk posted:

Goddammit, I walk by those creepy-rear end laughing Chinese statues in English Bay all the time, but I never noticed until watching this episode that they have nipples. :aaa:

I love just how clearly Vancouver seasons 10-11 are.

Those laughing dudes spoop the poo poo outta me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GutBomb posted:

We've expended our good and fun episodes and now we gotta get back to what X-Philes love... mytharc

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd actually love a good mytharc episode but :laffo: at that happening.

esperterra posted:

I agree whole heartedly. Even My Struggle III, which is kind of the perfect encapsulation of Chris Carter ridiculousness. Even if the last two episodes are bad I'll be happy with this as a final season.

Honestly, I look forward to going out with some convoluted Carter banger. It just wouldn't be The X-Files otherwise.
Wait, is this season also only 6 episodes? I thought they were going to go back to a longer season, if not the old-school 20+ episodes, at least to the modern 10-13. That would really make a few lovely CC episodes much more tolerable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think it's supposed to be 10.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, word? I thought it was another short one. Ten episodes is a good number, esp if this is likely the last.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Oh, word? I thought it was another short one. Ten episodes is a good number, esp if this is likely the last.

Yeah, a longer run was one of Carter's conditions to agree to put another season together. He had originally hoped for 13, but Anderson and Duchovny balked at that.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’m rewatching the whole series and finished season 5, when I watched the start of season 6 the recap first showed me stuff from the end of season 5 but then showed me a load of stuff that didn’t happen in the season 5 finale: what am I missing?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m rewatching the whole series and finished season 5, when I watched the start of season 6 the recap first showed me stuff from the end of season 5 but then showed me a load of stuff that didn’t happen in the season 5 finale: what am I missing?
The first movie takes place between seasons 5 and 6.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That first movie's real good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

That first movie's real good.

In comparison to the piece of poo poo that was I Want to Believe, sure.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's a fine movie. Basically a bigger budget mytharc episode, back when the mytharc wasn't complete garbage.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plus it had that almost-kiss for disgusting shippers like myself. Just in general it was like a big, well done mytharc before Carter went entirely up his own rear end.

Fun setpieces, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

But they killed Well-Manicured Man off. :mad:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The first movie had a cool rear end soundtrack too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if my hearing's off or the dialogue is that bad, but are these two girls constantly referring to each other as a bully? Because that doesn't sound like something that two girls who would go spelunking based on a dream would call a stranger.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
They are saying Ghouli, referencing a monster from a website . Had whiffs of Slenderman and my worlds collide. :monocle:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat was incredible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gravitee posted:

They are saying Ghouli, referencing a monster from a website . Had whiffs of Slenderman and my worlds collide. :monocle:

Super hoping after reading the description mulder would look at the screen and say wow scully, this situation is something awful.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Super hoping after reading the description mulder would look at the screen and say wow scully, this situation is something awful.

I would have screamed!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gobbeldygook posted:

The first movie takes place between seasons 5 and 6.

Is the movie available on demand anywhere? I’ve been watching the series on Prime video.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is the movie available on demand anywhere? I’ve been watching the series on Prime video.

You can rent it from iTunes and Amazon and all that, but I haven't seen it streaming anywhere for probably a year, maybe more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It used to be free to watch on Prime, but I dunno if it's still there. It was neat to watch it in context. TBH the movie is what I watched the most as a kid. I really like it. The Aliens are super neat looking.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Darin Morgan was the flukeman?? didn't know that

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I have no idea what was going on in that episode but it was neat to see Dr Chang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Darin Morgan was the flukeman?? didn't know that

That is still one of the ugliest loving creatures I've ever seen in fiction.

• Locked thread