Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Lawman 0 posted:

Make Victoria three you cowards

or make eu4's endgame more challenging, or both, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Golden age during the Revolution era means I can stomp into England with two stacks of 30 (while their fleet was decimated with a recent fight between them and Spain/France), siege down the level 8 forts and peace out for London plus another two well developed provinces because GB too afraid to fight after the first battle. Of course Spain decides to Imperial me in turn, dragging in Portugal and France while that was winding down. And really, the only reason that was possible was due to Portugal's navy and France's giant rear end army. Spain on its own had really nothing going for it.

I got the war to last long enough to nab a couple Baltic islands for my troubles. My navy wasn't able to get through theirs to drop off into Spain plus I didn't know where France had stashed half their army.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
How often does the AI leave alliances? I'm trying to form Italy as Savoy and two province Ferrara has allied France. I would declare war on another ally and make them annul treaties, but their other allies are Austria and Bohemia.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

James Garfield posted:

How often does the AI leave alliances? I'm trying to form Italy as Savoy and two province Ferrara has allied France. I would declare war on another ally and make them annul treaties, but their other allies are Austria and Bohemia.

It depends really, on the land that each nation wants, their trust with each other, etc. The most common thing that causes an alliance to break is refusal to join a defensive war, so you could declare on Ferrara when France is exhausted.

Alternatively, you could just skip over their territory (go after someone with whom you share a sea tile instead) and come back for it later. Option 2 is probably better for Savoy since your expansion is blocked by France and two different coalition hells (HRE and Italy).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It sounds like you can form the English Church as any British Isles nation, so long as certain conditions are met, which is nice.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I am playing as Yemen, with Ethiopia as my main rival. Ethiopia declares war on me, and I don't feel great about that because they have 30k soldiers, with 10k excess manpower. I have only 20k, with 20k excess manpower. We have technological parity.

At first I planned to just blockade the Red Sea, preventing them from hopping over, but I then realized that their only idea group was Religious, while I had Defensive, giving me a huge morale bonus over them.

This meant I felt comfortable baiting them into attacking me. I won the battle despite being outnumbered. I did this a couple of times until their manpower was completely depleted, and then occupied all of Ethiopia, and razed all the provinces I didn't plan to take in the peace deal. Ethiopia is now effectively done for and I have almost complete control of the Gulf of Aden trade node.

I actually managed to translate knowledge of game mechanics into results and feel good at the game. :shobon:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
It's 30 years after the reformation started, and no centers have shown up and nobody has converted. Did they change the way centers of reformation show up or is my game bugged? This is my first game in like, a year

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I am playing as Yemen, with Ethiopia as my main rival. Ethiopia declares war on me, and I don't feel great about that because they have 30k soldiers, with 10k excess manpower. I have only 20k, with 20k excess manpower. We have technological parity.

At first I planned to just blockade the Red Sea, preventing them from hopping over, but I then realized that their only idea group was Religious, while I had Defensive, giving me a huge morale bonus over them.

This meant I felt comfortable baiting them into attacking me. I won the battle despite being outnumbered. I did this a couple of times until their manpower was completely depleted, and then occupied all of Ethiopia, and razed all the provinces I didn't plan to take in the peace deal. Ethiopia is now effectively done for and I have almost complete control of the Gulf of Aden trade node.

I actually managed to translate knowledge of game mechanics into results and feel good at the game. :shobon:

Be razing I'm assuming you mean scorched earth, unless somehow you made a horde Yemen. Don't worry about it in the future, its a waste of Mil points for almost no effect.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I thought Dithmarschen would be one of those starts where you are doomed to be eaten very fast but I'm doing an iron man run of them at the moment and the HRE and some alliances pretty much kept me safe from conquest, and then I no cb conquered an Irish minor and hopped over the Atlantic to colonise Canada.

I'm not sure I made the right call though. If you're a tiny nation setting up colonies is it better to take a less desirable region like the north American east coast? I thought if I took the carribbean I'd just end up having all my colonies conquered by spain/portugal/Britain, but now I'm on my fourth colony in Canada and there's like 3 colonies in South America and none anywhere else? Should I just have taken the carribbean?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

White Coke posted:

Victoria 3: The Long 19th Century.

Victoria 3: It's a Game About Revolution (Industrial, Political, and Otherwise)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Red Bones posted:

I thought Dithmarschen would be one of those starts where you are doomed to be eaten very fast but I'm doing an iron man run of them at the moment and the HRE and some alliances pretty much kept me safe from conquest, and then I no cb conquered an Irish minor and hopped over the Atlantic to colonise Canada.

I'm not sure I made the right call though. If you're a tiny nation setting up colonies is it better to take a less desirable region like the north American east coast? I thought if I took the carribbean I'd just end up having all my colonies conquered by spain/portugal/Britain, but now I'm on my fourth colony in Canada and there's like 3 colonies in South America and none anywhere else? Should I just have taken the carribbean?
If its looking like that then I would go ahead and just get started on the Caribbean if you like it that much. I dont think there is anything wrong with establishing a Colonial Nation in Canada and then moving on to the Thirteen Colonies area and establishing one there too...those two areas, especially if you lock them down, can be easily funneled into Lubeck.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of the colonies, I played my first EUIV game that lasted all the way to 1821 the other day (after about 500 hours played of the game), and it was strange seeing Florida turn into the United States and getting events popping up saying that their relations with England had grown worse, when I had conquered England a few hundred years earlier :v:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Not feeling another immersion pack, and I don't think it will change the late game much. We'll see.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Michael Bayleaf posted:

It's 30 years after the reformation started, and no centers have shown up and nobody has converted. Did they change the way centers of reformation show up or is my game bugged? This is my first game in like, a year

Yeah something like that happened in my HRE game, the Reformation started with a single province in Bavaria that wasn't a Center of Reformation so it fizzled pretty much immediately.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Been playing around with custom nations and random new world and starting to find the frayed edges of the game.

So far, the most interesting has been that there is a phantom old New World that shows up as a mission target ("Colonize Eastern America" when there is no such place) or as something that the AI can concede when they lose a war. Clicking on those options in the peace deal colours random scatterings of provinces, often not contiguous.

Also, my new favourite custom idea is +% chance to capture enemy ships. :yarr: It's silly, obviously but ships represent a year (or more!) of construction and a significant investment of ducats. Grabbing just a few in the early game represents a pretty big swing and allows you to snowball naval superiority something fierce.

Is there any reason to keep Exploration ideas once you've finished exploring? Once I've got my CNs feeding themselves, I've found myself abandoning the idea set in the mid to late game to free up a slot for more military or whatever ideas.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I know the ai’s tendency towards total war has already been done to death as a complaint, but man am I tired of an ally refusing to white peace out to the point they take massive loving losses constantly for a distant ally- even while revolts rage in their land. Especially when they start taking mercs to send at your much better stacks.

edit: like seriously

every battle has ended in stack wipes.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No troops or ships left at all and lands are sieged down or almost sieged down. War enthusiasm: medium. :downs:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

doingitwrong posted:

Is there any reason to keep Exploration ideas once you've finished exploring? Once I've got my CNs feeding themselves, I've found myself abandoning the idea set in the mid to late game to free up a slot for more military or whatever ideas.
I would say, sir doingitwrong, that you are in fact doing it right. Once you have what you want and colonization becomes a chore or just isnt worth the investment anymore it is definitely smart to drop the idea to pick up a better one, especially if you are flush with the Monarch Points to do it.

really queer Christmas posted:

I know the ai’s tendency towards total war has already been done to death as a complaint, but man am I tired of an ally refusing to white peace out to the point they take massive loving losses constantly for a distant ally- even while revolts rage in their land. Especially when they start taking mercs to send at your much better stacks.

edit: like seriously

every battle has ended in stack wipes.
This makes me rage. Also the fact that allies of someone I Co-Belligerent'd dont drop when said ally gets separate-peaced out. No, I dont think the Ottomans should have to march an army to Chagatai in 1475 when they declared war on Karaman and made Crimea, who is the ally of Chagatai, with the wardec, just to end the war before five years are up.

Poil posted:

No troops or ships left at all and lands are sieged down or almost sieged down. War enthusiasm: medium. :downs:
This I can sorta understand when said country has allies with armies. But if I am fighting OPM Theodoro and they are allied to OPM Novogord, who has no troops because they all died in the war, both should have low war enthusiasm and be willing to peace out.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The worst I’ve ever dealt with was Baltic minors allying with opm knights. So that the war was over on day like 3 (when I stackewiped their army) but the knights are in the loving Mediterranean and I’m landlocked so the war has to drag on for 5 more years despite it being over.

And the knights allied loving all of my neighbors because they hated me because I was constantly at war with them lmao.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This makes me rage. Also the fact that allies of someone I Co-Belligerent'd dont drop when said ally gets separate-peaced out. No, I dont think the Ottomans should have to march an army to Chagatai in 1475 when they declared war on Karaman and made Crimea, who is the ally of Chagatai, with the wardec, just to end the war before five years are up.

This is why I almost never do co-belligerents unless I’m going to war with all their allies anyway. It’s so worth potential dip point losses compared to some far flung ally throwing everything they have at me for years.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

really queer Christmas posted:

I like the idea of them adapting the new War Exhaustion mechanic from Stellaris. Like if you're England, and declare war for a 3 development island in the South Pacific, France is not going to contest it anything like if you declare war for the entire Channel coast or something. You grab the island, sink a couple fleets and after a year or two, France says 'gently caress it' and lets you have the frozen, guano covered rock off the coast of Antarctica rather then burning their entire country to the ground over it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I like the idea of them adapting the new War Exhaustion mechanic from Stellaris. Like if you're England, and declare war for a 3 development island in the South Pacific, France is not going to contest it anything like if you declare war for the entire Channel coast or something. You grab the island, sink a couple fleets and after a year or two, France says 'gently caress it' and lets you have the frozen, guano covered rock off the coast of Antarctica rather then burning their entire country to the ground over it.
This would be nice. It ties with with a "limited war" mechanic that I've mentioned a few times before, where you could declare war for, say, a state or even a single province and under no circumstances take any land from an ally or additional land from the wartarget. Other things like treaty breaking could be added as part of the initial declaration or more likely part of the peacemaking, with it getting exponentially harder to tack on more and more cash, reparations, breaking treaties, ect ect
This would allow them to program the AI to do what you're saying - have them be willing to peace out before England needs to sack Paris and occupy half the country just to bring the AI to the table.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That makes a lot of sense. It would be nice to have more localized wars instead another WW1 every time I want a few trading posts in Malacca. Like, could there be more conditional calls to arms? Or allies who won’t get involved in your overseas things unless the other side starts attaching your homeland? We have some inklings of that with the distant war modifier. But it’s not great.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

That makes a lot of sense. It would be nice to have more localized wars instead another WW1 every time I want a few trading posts in Malacca. Like, could there be more conditional calls to arms? Or allies who won’t get involved in your overseas things unless the other side starts attaching your homeland? We have some inklings of that with the distant war modifier. But it’s not great.
Hmmm, would this apply to tributaries as well? While it's a lot better these days you can still get Ming running all over to the Urals.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

Ricky (PBUH) had a colonial wars mechanic where you could only invade their non-core territories. I have no idea why it wasn't added to vicky 2 or the eu series tbh.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

They didn't bring it back because people hated it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The way coalitions work is so dumb sometimes, I can either start a huge chain of annoying but ultimately easy wars with a bunch of minors as they gradually build up more and more AE, or I can stay at peace and then have to fight them all at once when enough peace treaties have ended. It works a lot better in Europe where AE generation is so high (due to inflated development) that you can't expand faster than you generate AE so if you try the same trick you end up in a giant hellwar vs. all of Europe.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

They didn't bring it back because people hated it.

i hate you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They also really need to fix that the target of a coalition can only take War Reparations from the war declarer/declaree, rather than from anyone in the coalition.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thinking about the late game, some of the most fun moments are when things don't go according to plan.

Here's an early game story: In my latest run, I started out doing OK, only to have two much bigger rivals DoW me at once while I was busy in another war taking new land, low on manpower etc. So suddenly I was fighting for my life. Made it to a white peace on the skin of my teeth and then spent up until the truce expired getting ready for the return strike and on the exact day the timer was up stormed across the border and had my revenge. Eventually, once I'd weakened them, both got swallowed up by neighbours whereupon I retook one's old province, spat it out as a vassal and used it to conquer all its cores. A fun and satisfying story coming out of a situation I'd have never set up for myself. 300 years later, that rivalry is long forgotten and not much has come up to fill that void.

In late game, you have good vassals, good land, big armies, good alliances, and you know the political landscape well, so you have a good sense of what might happen. It's too easy to be cautious and only pick easy fights, which are then boring. The game is the most fun when you aren't sure you can achieve a goal, but everything about playing the game makes you want to aim for achievable goals.

All the mechanisms we have now for late game seem to involve things like rebels or liberty desire leading to independence wars. Which are various ways to punish the player for doing well. Compare rebels to AE. AE is a clear set of trade offs "Want this land? Well, you might eat a big coalition—can you manage it?" Rebels: "Make sure you keep troops around for some dead easy fights or we'll take your winnings away."

Meanwhile the game is giving me extremely easy and boring missions. "Conquer this OPM that's near your border" is fun when you have 4 provinces and tedious when you have 200. Why can't a late mission be '"take 10 provinces from $COUNTRY_RIVAL"?

I want more mechanisms that push you to push your limits all the way through. For fun, I've been keeping around a bunch of vassals and smaller allies. You're punished for this in the game because it's a drain on DIP for not much reward but it's also been the #1 source of unexpected wars against odds I wasn't sure I could beat which makes the late game much more interesting. I'd just finished a big war in against France where I'd beaten back their allies in Austria and the empire and was about to start rearranging my armies when one of my allies called me into a war against some random African nation who was being guaranteed by Egypt, my other big rival. So now I'm in a fight I wasn't ready for and it's much more thrilling than if I'd waited a year or so and declared against Egypt on my own terms.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AG3 posted:

Please?

no

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Is that a soft no, or..?

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I feel like there should be an option to scale back on how many points you want to spend integrating a subject each month, or at least make it so if you hit zero birds it spends only what dip points you get.
Is there anything short of dropping diplo rep that lets you control this?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

THE BAR posted:

Is that a soft no, or..?

It's sort of soft, we delay it with an hour every time someone uses the term "cuck"
So yeah quite hard. :cheeky:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Is there much of a difference between Spain and Castille?

Playing as the latter and I'm eyeing up forming it in the future but the whole peninsula is Catholic and "No province owner can be in the Muslim culture group" or whatever is still crossed out?

Groogy posted:

It's sort of soft, we delay it with an hour every time someone uses the term "cuck"
So yeah quite hard. :cheeky:
This would be a great 'chan post: "Swedish dev admits cucking makes things hard on American website"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know why I couldnt force Venice to release Cyprus as part of the peace deal when Cyprus still has a perma-claim to the island?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Is there much of a difference between Spain and Castille?

Playing as the latter and I'm eyeing up forming it in the future but the whole peninsula is Catholic and "No province owner can be in the Muslim culture group" or whatever is still crossed out?
This would be a great 'chan post: "Swedish dev admits cucking makes things hard on American website"

Check the canary islands, or madeira, or the other islands.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone know why I couldnt force Venice to release Cyprus as part of the peace deal when Cyprus still has a perma-claim to the island?

Think you can only force release out of same culture group provinces, Cyprus the Country is french I think and cyprus the province is greek.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Check the canary islands, or madeira, or the other islands.
It turned out I had to make Granada a full core

Which reminds me: My miltech is now almost double that of my dip and admin tech, due to rampant conquests and my lust for vassals

Even with neighbour bonuses, I'm worried about catching up. I'm focusing admin, but is there anything I can do other than just wait and hope?

Btw, seriously regretting Fez; I don't have whatever DLC lets you give provinces to your vassals and me giving them vast amounts of land did gently caress all for their liberty desire and now France is backing them, the loving cads.

I am basically Castille that got the, Iberian Wedding and my sole ally is Austria that got the Netherlands. Could we take on France?

(Btw, having to enter the ledger to compare/contrast army sizes is super irritating. Why isn't that info there in the dip screen like in CK2 or Stellaris?)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

To reduce liberty desire in a subject, the best way seems to be to develop their provinces. Granting them a bunch of provinces just doesn't do enough.

(Btw, having to enter the ledger to compare/contrast army sizes is super irritating. Why isn't that info there in the dip screen like in CK2 or Stellaris?)

Because multiplayer. Some of the ledger is disabled in MP games for balance or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I am basically Castille that got the, Iberian Wedding and my sole ally is Austria that got the Netherlands. Could we take on France?

Check their progress on national ideas. If they have Elan (+20% morale) be very careful: Castile gets a +15% morale bonus right from the start so you can probably stack up against them one-to-one pretty well, but Austria doesn’t and can not, and it’s entirely possible that France will wreck their poo poo while you can’t do anything because forts are blocking your path to that front.

If they don’t have it yet, you can almost certainly take them.