Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much any of those options are four terms and a damehood for jacinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

So within context it's clear that the whole stolen election thing wasn't just pr politicking, but actually the result of most National MPs not knowing how our democracy works?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Also imagine the hilarious quotes we'll get from PaulaB while she is in opposition for the next 8 years.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

A Stuff article totally posted:

Finance spokesman Steven Joyce is also being fingered.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nats have the same problem as Labour did after so long with a strong and popular leader in that it doesn't foster leadership among the other members. I don't think Bill would beat Jacinda in the next election but I don't think any of the other high ranking Nat members have a better shot than him.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
leader of the opposition david bennett 🙏

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
what owns is that, no matter whether or not it's true, the national instability narrative has started

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Lmao everybody said a three-way coalition was going to be a disaster and National can't even keep it together for 6 months.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Their whole gimmick relies on painting themselves as strong, wealthy, winners which doesn't work when you just lost an election.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

But but it was stolen :qq:

More importantly Jacinda was in town today but I didn’t realise until after she had finished her public appearance. Missed my chance to go be :allears::dance:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Blinglish is of course saying it's all just gossip. If there is a leadership change I honestly think their best bet would be someone like Amy Adams. Well enough established in the party that donors know who she is, enough of an outsider to not be tarred with the current leadership and in-fighting among the highest ranked members, and to the left of the party enough that she can challenge an election during a swing to the left. Her only downside is that she looks just like Nikki Kaye, who has more visibility then her anyway.

Of course, I actually hope Gerry Brownlee takes over and drives the party into the loving dirt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I hope it's Steven Joyce just so we can have an entire election overshadowed by dildo throwing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

Blinglish is of course saying it's all just gossip. If there is a leadership change I honestly think their best bet would be someone like Amy Adams. Well enough established in the party that donors know who she is, enough of an outsider to not be tarred with the current leadership and in-fighting among the highest ranked members, and to the left of the party enough that she can challenge an election during a swing to the left. Her only downside is that she looks just like Nikki Kaye, who has more visibility then her anyway.

Of course, I actually hope Gerry Brownlee takes over and drives the party into the loving dirt.

Amy Adams is kind of an idiot, but probably their best bet.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i've always thought woodhouse would do well as national leader, he comes across as decent while being a lowkey piece of poo poo

amy adams looks like nikki kaye drawn in the bob's burgers style to me, and i feel bad for thinking it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

perfect timing

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Amy Adams is kind of an idiot, but probably their best bet.

Experienced, generally seen as competent due to no real involvement with any scandals, no real gaffes coming from her (although she's also entirely forgettable, like some sort of vague person-shaped void). Yeah, sounds about right.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Now is a good time to remind everyone that Amy Adams doesn’t want the citizens in Canterbury to vote for a regional council. All so her family’s farms can make more profit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not just her farms. She also owns shares in a Canterbury irrigation company.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

hosed up

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile Chloe Swarbricks medicinal cannabis bill didn't pass :(

She needed a couple of votes from Nats that she didn't get, because dickheads like Shane Jones and a few more conservative Labourites didn't support it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exmarx posted:

perfect timing
He looks a little put off by the result.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

bike tory posted:

Meanwhile Chloe Swarbricks medicinal cannabis bill didn't pass :(

She needed a couple of votes from Nats that she didn't get, because dickheads like Shane Jones and a few more conservative Labourites didn't support it

I'm in a bit of pain right now, how do I find out who voted against this so I can abuse them?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/958606913725333504

national unanimously voted against

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Plus all of NZ first and 8 Labour mps.

poo poo sucks. I have fibromyalgia and since labour's bill doesn't cover chronic pain out of the gate I will probably end up waiting years for change. In the mean time, opioids for when pain flares gently caress up my life.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Yeah I feel ya. I have an arthritis and the drugs they give me don't do poo poo. It would be nice to have something to take the edge off on bad days.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How has a considerable amount (half? most?) of the States got medicinal weed and we still seem to be years if not decades away? The loving States, how are we more conservative than the States about this?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wafflecopper posted:

How has a considerable amount (half? most?) of the States got medicinal weed and we still seem to be years if not decades away? The loving States, how are we more conservative than the States about this?

Morons run this country, but they think they're not morons.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah, they're the adults in the room haven't you heard? What are you, one of them looney Greens!?

edit: I still hear people talking about "looney greens" on a regular basis in goddamn 2018. Oh the joys of living in the deep south :(

Rahul fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 31, 2018

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Love that Labour made it a conscience vote and the Nats clearly whipped it to be unanimously against

or maybe that's too generous to National MPs are they are all in fact gibbering shitbirds who enjoy the suffering of the injured and dying

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Why not both?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

The States has the advantage of being able to legalise things in Auckland without consulting Canterbury.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

The States has the advantage of being able to legalise things in Auckland without consulting Canterbury.

This is a Good Post™ and holy poo poo that would be blissful. Imagine being able to do something without the people of Gore having a cry about it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Also, weed is entirely legal in several states, not even just medicinal

Ghostlight posted:

Ehh NZ is the size of a small state anyway. Besides even super conservative redneck states have legal medicinal weed

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 31, 2018

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Xik posted:

Why not both?

Third option is that they have donors who want to keep selling Vicodin and codeine etc rather than you being able to buy locally made organic, gluten free medicinal weed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Ehh NZ is the size of a small state anyway. Besides even super conservative redneck states have legal medicinal weed
Yes, but my point is that they don't have to have the demographics of the whole country vote on it. It's still illegal federally because certain areas simply don't want it and have the political capital to block it, despite conservatives in the US being ostensibly states-rights oriented and it not making any sense to remain federally illegal with certain states legalising it instead of being federally legal with certain states illegalising it. If they didn't have the ability to break up their decision making into smaller demographics then it wouldn't be legal anywhere in the US.

It doesn't matter that we're the size of a small state because in that comparison we're one of the small states that hasn't legalised it.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/cjsbishop/status/958808901251510273

:whitewater:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, but my point is that they don't have to have the demographics of the whole country vote on it. It's still illegal federally because certain areas simply don't want it and have the political capital to block it, despite conservatives in the US being ostensibly states-rights oriented and it not making any sense to remain federally illegal with certain states legalising it instead of being federally legal with certain states illegalising it. If they didn't have the ability to break up their decision making into smaller demographics then it wouldn't be legal anywhere in the US.

It doesn't matter that we're the size of a small state because in that comparison we're one of the small states that hasn't legalised it.

So you're saying all states have a similar demographic among the millions of people living within it. Somewhat simplistic view isn't it? A state could be seen as essentially a country within itself full of different demographics. And they would still need the support of the population to pass the law. For example California which I know is one of the more liberal states, had a referendum for recreational use in 2010 which failed, then again in 2016 which passed.

Anyway in your comparison NZ are like Idaho, Utah, all the southern states in terms of restricting medicinal cannabis, it's just surprising we aren't more progressive than that

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The population is. It's just that National and NZF are always wrong about every single thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

At a guess I would actually say that California would have more diverse demographics in it than most of the other US states. I would say the same about Auckland in comparison to other NZ cities.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dunno. That would imply Auckland (and Wellington I guess) have less olds than everywhere else which I find hard to believe. I'm pretty sure ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc have nothing on age when it comes to someone bring pro/anti weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, Auckland has Milford, the Elephant Graveyard of the north shore.

• Locked thread