Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AlternateAccount posted:

This is a horrible idea because it would absolutely break maps and make sym a must have pick on every team ever.

But it could also be poo poo. Wont know unless you try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Most important change:

Yay, cosmetics tied to purchasing other Blizzard products, basically what everyone has been waiting for! Those emotes/voice lines will taunt you every time you open the hero gallery and check out Tracer or Torbjörn. Enjoy!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Hughmoris posted:

Maybe replace Valk with the ability to rez multiple people at one time?

it's the circle of nerfs
and it moves us all

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mcbexx posted:

Most important change:

Yay, cosmetics tied to purchasing other Blizzard products, basically what everyone has been waiting for! Those emotes/voice lines will taunt you every time you open the hero gallery and check out Tracer or Torbjörn. Enjoy!

They aren't skins so for now, very few people will care.

I know people cared a lot about dance emotes, but dance emotes are a different beast.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so the annoying mercy mains have committed suicide by now right

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dance emotes should have been Legendary year-round emotes ala D.Va's sit. Making them event-based was a weird call.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

frajaq posted:

hopefully they're now all lucio/ana/moira mains

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

frajaq posted:

That’s a weirdass thing to be annoyed by

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dance emotes should have been Legendary year-round emotes ala D.Va's sit. Making them event-based was a weird call.

To be honest, I felt like the whole anniversary thing should have been handled like they handled this month's stuff. It should have all been permanent additions to the base game. It would make sense, seeing as it was the anniversary of the release, so the base game gets expanded.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I recently tried out Deathmatch for the first time. I take great joy in smoking fools with Mercy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

To be honest, I felt like the whole anniversary thing should have been handled like they handled this month's stuff. It should have all been permanent additions to the base game. It would make sense, seeing as it was the anniversary of the release, so the base game gets expanded.

Yeah, at the time I figured that if they were going to make additions to the general pool, that would have been the moment to do it. Especially since there was no particular theme, the skins were all just a grab bag of wacky stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

megane posted:

I remember the golden days of charging onto a point and then intentionally stalling and not killing anyone while you hunted down the Mercy hiding behind a box.

In a cohesive team, Doomfist's ult was fantastic at dealing with this.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Mercy will still be viable. She'll just be really boring to play.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I got kind of lucky with them last time since I got like 13-14 from boxes and only one duplicate (this was before duplicate update) and bought a few to get a total of 18/24. So assuming that they are 250 each next anniversary, and Doomfist + Moira are 750 each, it should be a total of 3000 for me to have all of them (at most, since I'll probably get some from the boxes again).

But I've noticed in various spawn rooms that most people don't have that stuff :negative: I would recommend to stockpile currency and buy loads of them for 250 each. You get 12 dances for the price of one poop pants Hanjo skin.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 31, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb-9DzNvAxs

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only bad thing about the new batch of items is not getting gold anymore for a while since you earning a lot of voice clips and icons I am never going to use. Going to make the Year of the Dog annoying if I want to buy a skin.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Rirse posted:

The only bad thing about the new batch of items is not getting gold anymore for a while since you earning a lot of voice clips and icons I am never going to use. Going to make the Year of the Dog annoying if I want to buy a skin.

That's on purpose

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't know if I'll want any Lunar New Year skins, not crazy about last year's, but I do want Barbarian Zarya, but only have a bit over 3k gold and want to make sure I can afford Uprising legendaries. I'm thinking Moira will get a Blackwatch skin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Against my better judgement I played more last night and went on a six game win streak. I went from 2515 down to ~2100 over the past few weeks in a long series of one sided games. I suppose matchmaking kicked in last night and decided I should win because each of my games was one sided in favor of my team. It was so bad that one of my team's had a Symmetra, Hanzo, and Widow who each refused to change and were silent/jerks in voice chat. They weren't good; for example the Hanzo spent most of the game flanking by himself and dying. He got four kills in the course of the match, but the other team was so much worse it didn't matter.

I'm interested to see if match making balances out and I start getting better matches now that I'm back where I usually am every season (high 2400s / low 2500s). All I'm looking for is evenly matched games that aren't a blowout two seconds into the match. So far this season has been incapable of that.+

edit: Two games tonight and both were total blowouts against my team and a waste of 24 minutes. No fun was had.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 1, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there a way to track other players performance in a match besides following the killfeed and extrapolating from your own stats? So I can see if snipers are getting eliminations and so on.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Are stats even that useful? It says I have a 97% win rate with widowmaker because I had her at the end of a mystery hero match I won or something because I don't use her ever by choice.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I perform well in my solo queue (gold and silver medals) does that mean I will climb out of ELO hell faster? Like I lose less SR? Or do I have to win the game to move further?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's supposed to have some effect on the amount of SR you gain or lose. Recent update was supposed to remove the effect from diamond or higher SR games, for the most part.

You have to win to get points, and you can only lose points if you lose.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That said your medals are not going to be a very good benchmark a lot of the time because that's just comparing you to your teammates. If your team is getting rolled and you are king of poo poo mountain with 4 golds you probably still have bad metrics on whatever mysterious things blizzard is measuring.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

obi_ant posted:

If I perform well in my solo queue (gold and silver medals) does that mean I will climb out of ELO hell faster?
Before everyone dogpiles you lemme just say "ELO hell" is basically every tier. We have top 500 players who post here and even they have to deal with leavers, trolls, torbs building turrets in spawn, etc. But no, don't worry about medals and ignore teammates who brag about them. Focus instead on making deliberate plays intended to tip the balance in your favour and win fights.

To use a recent support game as an example I had gold damage, gold healing and both gold elim medals but we kept losing fights. Perhaps my team's damage dealers weren't pulling their weight or maybe I was getting sidetracked by fragging out and instead shoulda focused more on healing key targets? The latter's more likely

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

an actual frog posted:

To use a recent support game as an example I had gold damage, gold healing and both gold elim medals but we kept losing fights. Perhaps my team's damage dealers weren't pulling their weight or maybe I was getting sidetracked by fragging out and instead shoulda focused more on healing key targets? The latter's more likely

This is why if I see Moria as the only healer I sometimes choose an other my self to main heal as she can easily get side tracked succing on Gengi's

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

an actual frog posted:

Also the latter is the only thing you can actually influence unless you enjoy herding cats

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Armacham posted:

Also the latter is the only thing you can actually influence unless you enjoy herding cats
To add, having "gold healing" -for example- doesn't mean much. In the match I'm referencing I had gold with something like 6,000 hp healed. Well maybe if I had 6,100 our Roadhog would've survived that last rocket and had time to throw a hook before the barrage wiped our entire team. Medals soothe the ego but climbing requires winning and winning necessitates being brutally honest about your own mistakes and mis-plays.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

an actual frog posted:

Before everyone dogpiles you lemme just say "ELO hell" is basically every tier. We have top 500 players who post here and even they have to deal with leavers, trolls, torbs building turrets in spawn, etc. But no, don't worry about medals and ignore teammates who brag about them. Focus instead on making deliberate plays intended to tip the balance in your favour and win fights.

ELO hell isn't real.

Leavers?
They're net-positive for you, unless you're one of them. (5 potential leavers on your team v 6 on other team)
Throwers?, Bad Picks? Little Kids? exactly same.

Only exception is, if you're bad enough dude to tilt your teams constantly. Then you might have more leavers than enemy.
But frankly you'd deserve that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so did the Mercy nerfs did the job or is she still mandatory

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

But she's no longer a must pick it feels like. Which is fuckin' great because I and many others are tired of playing her.

i’m late to the party but people have said this the last eleven times she was nerfed

i’ll believe it when i see it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

adhuin posted:

ELO hell isn't real.

Leavers?
They're net-positive for you, unless you're one of them. (5 potential leavers on your team v 6 on other team)
Throwers?, Bad Picks? Little Kids? exactly same.

Only exception is, if you're bad enough dude to tilt your teams constantly. Then you might have more leavers than enemy.

yeah but your math is missing the substantial chance that you get a tilted goon on your team and the % chance that your enemies will have a tilted goon on their team is near zero %

adhuin posted:

Real talk, this is actually a ton of people. People often make the pickup basketball comparison eg 'would you play a full game of pickup basketball with this person?' and the answer to a lot of the OW community is gently caress no, you'd leave and tell them to have fun playing with themself. I just straight up leave when I have someone ridiculously unpleasant on my team (after reporting) and my accounts are climbing even still.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 1, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally got some time to play since the new patch dropped and can confirm that Mercy is now boring as poo poo to play. So much for all that time invested in her; I'll play tank until they un-dumpster her.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaubocks posted:

i’m late to the party but people have said this the last eleven times she was nerfed

i’ll believe it when i see it

I've seen quite a bit less Mercy than I have in a really long time. I still don't really want to see Ana cause people can't aim

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Montalvo posted:

Finally got some time to play since the new patch dropped and can confirm that Mercy is now boring as poo poo to play. So much for all that time invested in her; I'll play tank until they un-dumpster her.

this means we can group again since I've transitioned to Zen and McCree mostly

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

this means we can group again since I've transitioned to Zen and McCree mostly

Perfect, hit me up anytime. Mostly working on Rein and Winston these days, sometimes Moira/Lucio.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Macaluso posted:

I've seen quite a bit less Mercy than I have in a really long time. I still don't really want to see Ana cause people can't aim
Still rather see an Ana than get the Moira and have to wait and see if they are planning on healing or just be a vampire queen at the head of the pack.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

World Famous W posted:

Still rather see an Ana than get the Moira and have to wait and see if they are planning on healing or just be a vampire queen at the head of the pack.

Yeah. Playing Moira makes me feel like I don't have to take care of my team. Her mobility, self-regen and orbs make me want to flank (It works sometimes). Her build doesn't really reinforce "stay back and heal" besides the fact that she's a long range beam sniper.

I played a lot of Moira to get out Gold hell because no one can hit 'Sym but better' but I've swapped over to Zen where I can still DPS but healing is more or less automatic.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I get into the bad habit of damaging as Moira if Mercy is on the team as well since she focus on the smaller heals where I try to heal anyone attacking with me and myself. But usually I try to stay with the group and heal while throwing a damage ball if a large cluster of enemies are ahead and everyone near is healed. Only when I either need to 'feed' do I have to stop and go agro or if someone dangerous is in the middle of the group healing who needs to die fast like Genji as Moira is good at killing him, but if he ulting then I can't stop and heal as he will delete people faster then I can heal unless I kill him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You have to look at healing the team as the thing that will allow you to go ham on the enemy. It's like eating your vegetables so you can dig into dessert.