Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Serious question: what driver on the grid right now is a good role model? I'm genuinely curious to find out which driver is worthy enough to mold a young child's mind.

Grasping for straws a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Before judging good role models it'd be nice for there to be a role model of any kind. Women simply not existing except to serve men their trophies or shade them from the sun sends the message 'this is not for you if you don't have a y chromosome'

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Serious question: what driver on the grid right now is a good role model? I'm genuinely curious to find out which driver is worthy enough to mold a young child's mind.

Again, avoiding and distracting from the whole loving point. You don't have a leg to stand on and every time you post you're embarrassing yourself.

No F1 driver is molding young minds you loving drooling idiot. F1 drivers are driving race cars and just maybe women might want some of those race seats someday too.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

Grosjean (bit of a whiner but wrote a cookbook with his wife, adorable)

I think Grosjean is an absolute garbageman, but indeed writing a cook book with his wife is awesome.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hamilton is kinda a shithead. Vettel is a nice man but his temper when things aren't going his way is poor. Max Verstappen is a frog-looking rear end in a top hat (and also dutch). Riccardio seems to hit the marks but then again he drinks out of shoes and sounds like a bogan. Bottas has 0 charisma and is a Finnish robot. Raikkonen has a ton of support and goodwill but he's a surly Finn who has been mostly phoning in his performances for the last, I dunno, decade or so. So that leaves Alonso. It's Alonso.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bring Back Kamui

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lance Stroll is the best role model on the grid and the one we all deserve.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I left out Sainz Jr. He's cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stroll Model.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Ocon may impress. We need more Frenchmen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Okay I changed my mind there can be good F1 role models.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

Before judging good role models it'd be nice for there to be a role model of any kind. Women simply not existing except to serve men their trophies or shade them from the sun sends the message 'this is not for you if you don't have a y chromosome'

The problem is that is still the message. Banning grid girls is just making being a male only sport more PR friendly and lets them punt putting some bullshit token funding into Jorda's Women's F1 Championship a few more years down the road.

I don't think grid girls are anything more than a symptom of the fundamental issues about F1 and diversity in racing in general. Hiding the symptom isn't really doing anything beyond letting people jerk their dicks over imaginary progress.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

"Look what you can achieve if daddy is rich kids!"

"Are you rich daddy?"

"Just keep rooting through those bins for tires 1500quid Jr"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Carlos Jr. seems like a good guy. Also:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Marcus Ericsson is an excellent role model for kids, he demonstrates the valuable life skill of maintaining a career by being so forgettable that your boss can't even remember to sack you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The problem is that is still the message. Banning grid girls is just making being a male only sport more PR friendly and lets them punt putting some bullshit token funding into Jorda's Women's F1 Championship a few more years down the road.

I don't think grid girls are anything more than a symptom of the fundamental issues about F1 and diversity in racing in general. Hiding the symptom isn't really doing anything beyond letting people jerk their dicks over imaginary progress.

will you dogwhistling misogynist fucks just please shut the gently caress up and let me talk about how mclaren signed a new sponsor today

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rio Haryanto taught us that even a no name driver with a bad car could capture the hearts of fans worldwide with his performance and be voted the F1 Driver of the Week.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lou Takki posted:

Again, avoiding and distracting from the whole loving point. You don't have a leg to stand on and every time you post you're embarrassing yourself.

No F1 driver is molding young minds you loving drooling idiot. F1 drivers are driving race cars and just maybe women might want some of those race seats someday too.

As I said before FOM has absolutely demonstrated in the past that it can influence the placement of drivers and they are currently doing jack poo poo to help getting women to the grid. I'd love to see women get on the grid but banning grid girls is getting us no closer to that goal.

Stop acting like you just introduced women's suffrage by halting something shown for maybe 20 seconds on a race weekend lmao.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No he's right Stroll is definitely the role model we deserve

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

FOM could absolutely get teams to push harder to get a woman in. Hell, all the big teams have massive junior programmes now, if they got an agreement where all those teams agreed to have at least one promising female driver in the academy we'd be on the road to the first female F1 driver and realistically towards the first female F1 race winner/champion.

I get why people want grid girls gone, but I don't think it's doing anything to get a woman on the top step of the podium which has to be the end goal.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Lou Takki posted:

Have you never watched anything on TV and thought to yourself "Wow, I'd like to do that poo poo someday".

Yes, coincidentally, when I see all the grid girls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Yes, coincidentally, when I see all the grid girls.

:coolspot:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

As I said before FOM has absolutely demonstrated in the past that it can influence the placement of drivers and they are currently doing jack poo poo to help getting women to the grid. I'd love to see women get on the grid but banning grid girls is getting us no closer to that goal.

Stop acting like you just introduced women's suffrage by halting something shown for maybe 20 seconds on a race weekend lmao.

Never did I claim that poo poo, again misrepresenting what I've said.

I said clearly that this is at best a small step towards changing the perception of women in motorsport.

FOM absolutely has a terrible loving track record here, but now with a new set of owners is it too much to ask for maybe a little goddamn progress? F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport supposedly so it would be great if we could help the little girls growing up now see F1 in a more accessible light, even if it's a very small difference. Removing grid girls isn't the end goal, it's the first loving step in a marathon.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

There's also genuine progress in the teams and organisation as a whole, and that means that women are being seen more in roles that 10 years ago were almost exclusively male. There is still more to be done, such as a woman actually getting a race seat.

Getting rid of grid girls is overdue as they still had more screen time than the women actually working in the teams. Grid girls are always silent, smiling servants to the men and that's a shite thing to be the main thing women see in F1.

You're right that it's a symptom, but it's ok to treat symptoms while you're trying to cure the disease.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I get why people want grid girls gone, but I don't think it's doing anything to get a woman on the top step of the podium which has to be the end goal.

IT DOESN'T loving HAVE TO. IT IS A GOOD THING ON ITS OWN. STOP POSTING STUPID poo poo.

McLaren Technology Group today announced a new multi-year partnership with Airgain, Inc. (NASDAQ: AIRG), a global leader in wireless connectivity platforms, that will build on both companies’ reputations in leading-edge, high performance technologies.

Airgain will build on its expertise in high performance antenna systems to drive technological advancement within the automotive sector. McLaren Technology Group’s expertise will allow both brands to accelerate the wireless revolution that enables our increasingly connected world.

Airgain’s partnership with McLaren extends to the broader business, including McLaren Applied Technologies, as the two organisations explore the co-creation of wireless connectivity solutions. In addition, Airgain will contribute to the performance of McLaren Racing through integrating technology on-car, off-car and at the McLaren Technology Centre.

Zak Brown, Executive Director, McLaren Technology Group, commented:
“Airgain is a new brand to Formula 1 so we’re delighted they have chosen to partner with McLaren. The technology being pioneered by Airgain is leading the way in high performance wireless connectivity, both in the automotive industry and the enterprise and home environments.

“Airgain already partners with and supplies some of the world’s largest blue chip brands. Its pedigree in the design and integration of high performance embedded antenna technology will produce real performance benefits, both on and off the track, for McLaren and Airgain.”

Chuck Myers, President and CEO at Airgain, said:
“Partnering with McLaren is a strategic move that will build a powerful and mutually beneficial relationship. McLaren has a proven record of successfully applying its technologies to real-world business situations across a range of sectors. This partnership forms a pivotal part of our growth and expansion strategy.

“Our expertise will help the McLaren team enhance its wireless connectivity capabilities, aiding its performance both on and off the track. Utilising the platform we have created with McLaren, we will co-develop engineering solutions to solve the challenges of tomorrow. Bringing together the best engineering minds from across the globe sits at the heart of our business. Our partnership with McLaren gives us access to truly world-class engineering experts who will collaborate with our own talent, enabling us to better support the hyper-connected world of the future.”

Airgain has a crucial role to play in the connected vehicle market by providing antenna technology in support of advanced wireless connectivity solutions for in-vehicle, vehicle-to-vehicle, and vehicle-to-infrastructure applications. It has a portfolio of connectivity solutions and a wealth of experience in developing antenna applications for government, public safety and enterprise applications.

This partnership follows Airgain’s recently announced membership of the 5GAA, underlining Airgain's commitment to the research and development of new advanced solutions for the connected car, and contributing to define the new connectivity landscape that will revolutionise the transportation world as we know it today.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zak Brown is my role model

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ron would be proud of that press release

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

There's also genuine progress in the teams and organisation as a whole, and that means that women are being seen more in roles that 10 years ago were almost exclusively male. There is still more to be done, such as a woman actually getting a race seat.

Getting rid of grid girls is overdue as they still had more screen time than the women actually working in the teams. Grid girls are always silent, smiling servants to the men and that's a shite thing to be the main thing women see in F1.

You're right that it's a symptom, but it's ok to treat symptoms while you're trying to cure the disease.

For the record I think grid girls are dumb and don't care that they are gone and am glad that LC's daughter doesn't have to look at them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I for one am happy Zak Brown finally got a title sponsor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Doesn't Are Rossie have a daughter? In 20 years he'll be in the middle of the only 3-generation WDC family in F1 history.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Seb Vettel

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

quote:

David Coulthard once said that the absence of women in Formula 1 was "nothing to do with their physical strength in handling high-powered cars. It’s simply they don’t possess the right attitude to succeed."

And Eddie Irvine once said that women couldn’t drive in Formula 1 because "they don’t have the right brain make-up".

Lost in a world that time forgot, Formula 1 keeps alive those stereotypes that most damage the sport.

Market research recently showed that Formula 1’s audience losses were mainly from women and young men. With spectators and viewers dwindling, it’s time for Formula 1 to stop ignoring one half of the human race and to face the fact that using women as sexual objects holds no appeal for a younger generation who see it as cheap, old-fashioned and unoriginal. Formula 1 websites and competitions urging us to pick our "favourite pit babe" only alienate women fans and undermine the sport’s claims to be "cutting-edge".

A female driver in a competitive car would revolutionise Formula 1’s image, re-energise the competition and attract a new fan base. Her team would receive an unprecedented amount of global media exposure as the most enlightened and forward-looking brand on the grid. For now, however, it seems that in Formula 1, sexism can even defeat the forces of capitalism.

From 2004

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Delete that crap

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wicka posted:

IT DOESN'T loving HAVE TO. IT IS A GOOD THING ON ITS OWN. STOP POSTING STUPID poo poo.

They're promoting it as this big move away from F1's image as "the boys club" and towards a more... "modern F1". If they're putting more behind it than just this symbolic act of "getting rid of those pesky scantily clad girls" then bravo F1. But I find the idea of F1 "doing more for girls and for a more modern F1" super hard to swallow when there are like 3 girls within 5 years of contending for an F1 seat assuming they even have funding for this year which is absolutely not a foregone conclusion.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Imagine being so confused at the modern world that your ability to enjoy a motor race is impacted by the presence or absence of girls in bikinis beforehand.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

They're promoting it as this big move away from F1's image as "the boys club" and towards a more... "modern F1". If they're putting more behind it than just this symbolic act of "getting rid of those pesky scantily clad girls" then bravo F1. But I find the idea of F1 "doing more for girls and for a more modern F1" super hard to swallow when there are like 3 girls within 5 years of contending for an F1 seat assuming they even have funding for this year which is absolutely not a foregone conclusion.

Jesus Christ you are too loving stupid to live

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

wicka posted:

Jesus Christ you are too loving stupid to live

And yet he persisted.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Changes of this nature take a generation to bear fruit, even now we're still a few years away from an influx of Spaniards

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Imagine being so confused at the modern world that your ability to enjoy a motor race is impacted by the presence or absence of girls in bikinis beforehand.

Do you honestly think taking issue with the presence of girls in bikinis is equatable to taking issue with their absence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

'Chicks' only being seen in F1 as objects to be leered at is a very visible sign of the entrenched sexism in motorsports, and taking a stand on it is worth doing, even though there are worse things happening. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

F1 teams have been doing a good job getting better representation of women in all departments (except on track so far), and having 1950s 'glamour' is just a bit pathetic and out of date

Grid kids it is! Look forward to Spa then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpIepzJg_aU

• Locked thread