Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why won't the government stop me being fat :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Why won't the government stop me being fat :qq:

:pcgaming:SUGAR TAX:pcgaming:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

gay picnic defence posted:

No but the goal of any protest is to change peoples' minds over an issue and inflammatory language like that is the last thing the movement needs. They're going up against a political machine, they can't afford to give them easy openings like that. Now the whole movement is being painted as a bunch of anarchists. What made the news? The fact that fuckloads of people are motivated enough by this issue to get out and protest, or some protester said mean things about Australia. The protest should have been be a PR triumph given the turnout, so gently caress her.

It isn't that hard. Dress nicely, don't act like a fuckwit, wave banners that say something uplifting, positive or funny rather than something violent. You want to draw people to the movement, not make them cringe. Most people do this but it only takes one person doing/saying something dumb to draw all the attention away.

Woah, she didn't dress nice? hosed up

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So do we think the guy who started Clean Up Australia day is actually a dodgy gently caress who ripped off mum and dad investors, and just no one remembers it, and there is literally not a single scrap of evidence, despite 10 years of searching, or is Cartoon just a confused old guy who saw soemone sailing in a newspaper 35 years ago and got some headlines mixed up?

Edit - I mean to be fair we could go back to the original question and concede it's possible he was involved to some degree. We don't know how or to what degree, but even if he was, given what he's done since, does that make him a 'poo poo bird of the lowest order'? Just as an interesting hypothetical of course.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 31, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You always pick the most hosed up hills to die on :allears:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I ain't dying, but if the standards of evidence we need to write someone off drop from 'subjective' to 'zero' then we need to seriously reevaluate the point of debating or discussing Australian politics

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

You always pick the most hosed up hills to die on :allears:

Asking for evidence is a hosed up hill to die on? Interesting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

Woah, she didn't dress nice? hosed up

Number one and number two rules of organising, dress neutral and don't yell/swear.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

Asking for evidence is a hosed up hill to die on? Interesting.

I was more angling towards 'who gives a gently caress about the name of a boat when the Libs are apparently throwing away loaded file cabinets full of secret/AUSEO classified docs, also all the heinous poo poo we have just learned because of this'.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not even asking for evidence at this point, we've done that and there isn't any. Funnily enough I was prepared to take Cartoon's word for it and thought there was an interesting discussion to be had around the idea of redemption, until UrbanLabrinyh checked the newspaper archives and found nothing. Now I'm more asking the consensus on Cartoon's mental health. I mean his grudge against me aside, this is pretty weird.

And yeah it's not about the boat name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

I was more angling towards 'who gives a gently caress about the name of a boat when the Libs are apparently throwing away loaded file cabinets full of secret/AUSEO classified docs, also all the heinous poo poo we have just learned because of this'.

Constance is already on the nose so all this does is make him look like more of a tool. He'll personally intervene to change the name of a boat because he likes a joke but can't do his actual job and keep the trains running.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

I'm not even asking for evidence at this point, we've done that and there isn't any. Funnily enough I was prepared to take Cartoon's word for it and thought there was an interesting discussion to be had around the idea of redemption, until UrbanLabrinyh checked the newspaper archives and found nothing. Now I'm more asking the consensus on Cartoon's mental health. I mean his grudge against me aside, this is pretty weird.

And yeah it's not about the boat name.

shut the gently caress up, nobody cares at this point/any other point preceding this point

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

shut the gently caress up, nobody cares at this point/any other point preceding this point

Hey cool thanks for chiming in Jonah Galtberg good to see you bud how you been

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mamma Mia!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

I'm not even asking for evidence at this point, we've done that and there isn't any.

It was posted, you ignored it, much like any other Young Liberal presented with a fact not in the party approved dossier

e: Wait we're not talking about Mia Freedman again?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/cpyne/status/958651669335588864

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

Hey cool thanks for chiming in Jonah Galtberg good to see you bud how you been

not bad Hobo Erotica

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

It was posted, you ignored it, much like any other Young Liberal presented with a fact not in the party approved dossier

e: Wait we're not talking about Mia Freedman again?

Sigh

Come on

Check again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/958618883811758080

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

This all rules very much

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ah that makes sense... it was a 4 draw b class with a privacy lock on the top draw. They reset the combo before disposal but no one had the key to open the top draw. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

gay picnic defence posted:

No but the goal of any protest is to change peoples' minds over an issue and inflammatory language like that is the last thing the movement needs. They're going up against a political machine, they can't afford to give them easy openings like that. Now the whole movement is being painted as a bunch of anarchists. What made the news? The fact that fuckloads of people are motivated enough by this issue to get out and protest, or some protester said mean things about Australia. The protest should have been be a PR triumph given the turnout, so gently caress her.

It isn't that hard. Dress nicely, don't act like a fuckwit, wave banners that say something uplifting, positive or funny rather than something violent. You want to draw people to the movement, not make them cringe. Most people do this but it only takes one person doing/saying something dumb to draw all the attention away.

Oh, I think this is pretty much what I said earlier regarding the vegan thing. I don't like it when the thing I said before, is now the thing someone is saying to me

1) Generally speaking yeah I agree on the importance of making a message and keeping a tone that's easy to agree with and difficult to distort or attack
2) Specifically speaking I feel uncomfortable saying a black woman who expressed anguish over colonialism, genocide and continuing oppressing in her own words was wrong to do so
3) Now that the message has been said, and the right are choosing to focus on the tone instead of the message, I feel it's more important to side with the person news corp are trying to bully into silence, instead of being angry at her too, because then I'm joining the pressure on her not to speak again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Hobo Erotica posted:

I ain't dying, but if the standards of evidence we need to write someone off drop from 'subjective' to 'zero' then we need to seriously reevaluate the point of debating or discussing Australian politics

I'm inclined to believe Cartoon because they have a funny avatar with Costa in it, and a chicken

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

why would you even sell a filing cabinet you no longer have the key for. what did they think the buyer was going to do, leave it locked and use it as a piece of decor? someone’s going to have it drilled in order to be able to put stuff in it at some point so it may as well be parliament house security instead of whatever weirdos but ex-gov furniture

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

why would you even sell a filing cabinet you no longer have the key for. what did they think the buyer was going to do, leave it locked and use it as a piece of decor? someone’s going to have it drilled in order to be able to put stuff in it at some point so it may as well be parliament house security instead of whatever weirdos but ex-gov furniture

I can guarantee you if they sold it in Fitzroy it would have gone unremarked on as a coffee table until long after the documents were due for publication

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What was this post about? Some Liberal prick?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Kevin Rudd is now launching legal action against the ABC because of the cabinet files. I wonder what that means for his leadership prospects.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

Oh, I think this is pretty much what I said earlier regarding the vegan thing. I don't like it when the thing I said before, is now the thing someone is saying to me

1) Generally speaking yeah I agree on the importance of making a message and keeping a tone that's easy to agree with and difficult to distort or attack
2) Specifically speaking I feel uncomfortable saying a black woman who expressed anguish over colonialism, genocide and continuing oppressing in her own words was wrong to do so
3) Now that the message has been said, and the right are choosing to focus on the tone instead of the message, I feel it's more important to side with the person news corp are trying to bully into silence, instead of being angry at her too, because then I'm joining the pressure on her not to speak again

I think we can look at the goal, and look at the consequences, and see they don't really align. If she says 'I don't care about changing the date I just want to burn australia' then that is at odds with the stated aim of the tens of thousands of other people assembled there that day. I agree we should be conscious not to tell women or POC what to say, but in this case it is actively sabotaging the objective of a large group of people and it's fair to point out

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Starshark posted:

Don't ever take their chair. THIS CHAIR IS ADJUSTED EXACTLY TO MY SPECIFIC BODY PARAMETERS AND EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE WILL CAUSE PERMANENT SPINAL INJURY. NO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO READJUST CHAIRS, WHY DO YOU ASK?

I have a quite specific adjustment on my chair that currently works best with my hosed up L5/S1 disc and it's quite inconvenient when people take it and change it why can't we just all be considerate :smith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Unley fucken handbaggers

The Before Times posted:

Kevin Rudd is now launching legal action against the ABC because of the cabinet files. I wonder what that means for his leadership prospects.

Hmm yes, in this case I believe it's best to shoot the messenger. I R Ruddbot, verra smart.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The cabinet likely came from PM&C during the refurbishment. whoever was responsible for emptying it may have been on holiday while the clear out happens and some construction contractor just took it away with everything else. Could have been sitting in the ex gov furniture place for years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/958827215176658945

Turnbull personally donated 1.75M to the Liberals for the 2016 election.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kerbside recycling in Victoria is fukt btw

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Kerbside recycling in Victoria is fukt btw

I mean, you can't blame China for not wanting to import all our waste but drat, what are we going to do with all this crap

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

What was this post about? Some Liberal prick?

The pants.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hmm yes, in this case I believe it's best to shoot the messenger. I R Ruddbot, verra smart.

We don't know what the case he's bringing is, but it may be defamation given the ABC implied Rudd knew people would die and the actual document says nothing of the sort.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Before Times posted:

I mean, you can't blame China for not wanting to import all our waste but drat, what are we going to do with all this crap

Reprocess it ourself? Recognise that the market is failing to set a price on virgin plastics which accurately measures their cost? Actually examine the issue of out of control consumption? Burn it

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 31, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I like that Rudd is literally hitler because of unscrupulous operators working kids literally to death but the liberals get off without any journalist ever mentioning the fact that reintroducing the ABCC has killed way more people on worksites just as the unions predicted (because that’s exactly what happened last time it was around)

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Reprocess it ourself? Recognise that the market is failing to set a price on virgin plastics which accurately measures their cost? Actually examine the issue of out of control consumption? Burn it

Plz don't leak the next federal Lib power plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The head of the AIG was on RN this morning and I wanted to loving smash my car radio apart. Depressed wages are also in America so you should stop talking about it. Shorten is a liar for saying unions can get better wages. Shorten is a liar because he referred to termination of EBAs and a required FWC restructure. Unions are "terrible", they are "destroying the economy", they are "unscrupulous" and the "business community" "always pay better than award or agreement if they can".

• Locked thread