Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hum....I finally found someone who returned my messages. It's a Toshiba 13 inch with a built in VCR. Only has Coaxial and Mono Composite inputs. It's kind of crappy but for just using the NES and Atari, I think it might be fine for my purposes for now for twenty bucks. I would like something better eventually. Maybe I can try pawn shops since I know a few the way I'm going to get it.

Edit: I would just need to find composite cables for the NES.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

actually, yeah i bought my 60 in 1 PCB from these guys and they were good and shipped from the US. if you must buy any of this hacky poo poo go with them

The 60 in 1 vertical seems like it may be acceptable. I was recommending it to a friend with a hacked up super pacman cab that's somehow jamma. Is it ok?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BigRed0427 posted:

Hum....I finally found someone who returned my messages. It's a Toshiba 13 inch with a built in VCR. Only has Coaxial and Mono Composite inputs. It's kind of crappy but for just using the NES and Atari, I think it might be fine for my purposes for now for twenty bucks. I would like something better eventually. Maybe I can try pawn shops since I know a few the way I'm going to get it.

Edit: I would just need to find composite cables for the NES.

I mean, you can get composite cables for the NES from your nearest dollar store, no biggy.

In some ways a setup like that really is the best thing to do, especially for like the old Atari systems and things of that age where you simply can't get a good signal out of them without adding in chips with more processing power than the whole system.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
After lusting after them for fifteen years I finally picked up a white Saturn with two matching controllers, modchipped, and with a save cart all for 125bux. The black US model 2 Saturn was my very first console as a kid but the JP ones always had the edge on appearance.

Excuse me now I have to play more Sega Saturn Shiro so I don’t get my rear end kicked

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The people who are making the 1/6th scale Centipede just put up their KS for Tempest: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529306246/replicade-mini-tempest-arcade-machine-replica-12-t/description

Really wish I could have had Centipede in hand before needing to make a decision about Tempest.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is Mega Man X collection for PS2 emulation or ports? If it's emulation, is it decent and do the games play in 240p?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

The people who are making the 1/6th scale Centipede just put up their KS for Tempest: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529306246/replicade-mini-tempest-arcade-machine-replica-12-t/description

Really wish I could have had Centipede in hand before needing to make a decision about Tempest.

Meh it's not vector.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
lol @ msrp of $160 for that 1/6 Tempest. That's too much, man!

Nobody is actually expected to pay that and it's only stated as $160 to make the $90 KS price better by comparison, I'd wager.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tree Dude posted:

lol @ msrp of $160 for that 1/6 Tempest. That's too much, man!

Nobody is actually expected to pay that and it's only stated as $160 to make the $90 KS price better by comparison, I'd wager.

There's almost certainly some truth to that, I don't think Centipede sold too many over the "early bird" allotment. I'm not trying to defend the $90 pricetag, but in comparison to the $20-$30 Arcade Classic things people were buying at Walmart and Cracker Barrel I think these are pretty cool.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

GutBomb posted:

Is Mega Man X collection for PS2 emulation or ports? If it's emulation, is it decent and do the games play in 240p?

They're just regular emulators and they're probably good enough if you don't want to wait on the much better X collection coming this year.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

The 60 in 1 vertical seems like it may be acceptable. I was recommending it to a friend with a hacked up super pacman cab that's somehow jamma. Is it ok?

yeah it's "acceptable" pretty much. most games are fine, some have bad sound. They look really good on a real arcade monitor and input lag is there but it's not dealbreakingly bad. It's a fun toy if you're not super into the golden age stuff but still want to have it around for a quick game now and then. I like that you can turn off all games but one and then it acts like a normal PCB of the one game you have on with no loading time or menu system. It got me into some games I had never thought much about before, like bomb jack and shao-lin's road. I think the game selection is pretty much perfect and has a bunch of interesting "deep cuts", unlike the horizontal version.

e:

Only Shallow posted:

After lusting after them for fifteen years I finally picked up a white Saturn with two matching controllers, modchipped, and with a save cart all for 125bux. The black US model 2 Saturn was my very first console as a kid but the JP ones always had the edge on appearance.

lol a couple years ago I also got a white saturn after owning a black US one for a very long time. The US bootup screen always bothered me the most, the JP one is so much better

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 31, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

They're just regular emulators and they're probably good enough if you don't want to wait on the much better X collection coming this year.

I want to play them on my CRT so the new collection probably won't let me do that. I really just want to play x2 without having to read a guide for the Japanese dialogue or spend over $100 for one game. The rest are all available on ps1 or Saturn but x2 doesn't work on the everdrive or sd2snes and gently caress paying that much for a mega man game.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

d0s posted:

lol a couple years ago I also got a white saturn after owning a black US one for a very long time. The US bootup screen always bothered me the most, the JP one is so much better

The US logo is pretty cool but the JP one does edge it out imo. One thing I’ve been meaning to do is burn a region free BIOS chip for mine and if I do that I’d just get it with the JP boot animation anyway. That will make it no longer necessary to patch games to the console region to boot with the modchip.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

GutBomb posted:

I want to play them on my CRT so the new collection probably won't let me do that. I really just want to play x2 without having to read a guide for the Japanese dialogue or spend over $100 for one game. The rest are all available on ps1 or Saturn but x2 doesn't work on the everdrive or sd2snes and gently caress paying that much for a mega man game.

Play it on 3DS in pixel perfect mode

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

GutBomb posted:

What are the symptoms? It might be super easy to repair like a power supply.

It was a YLOD that turned to RLOD.

Sir Tonk posted:

Craigslist? At least you can do a check on it if you meet at their house, but yeah online consoles are a big risk to buy used.

Ah, I havent thought of that. Just have to find a seller that doesnt treat their spider infested console as a family heirloom and asks outrageous price.

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you go eBay, just use some intuition. Look at their feedback, steer clear of 0 or low feedback (which is usually the cheapest since no one trusts them). Look for descriptions that sound like someone who is just upgrading to PS4 or whatever, make sure they go into detail on the condition. Also, just straight up ask them and if they respond and say it wasn’t banned, but then they lied, then you have it in writing for a paypal complaint.

I wanted a second PS3 as a Blu ray player in a bedroom and didn’t want to use my original BC PS3 for that. So I got a 250GB Slim on eBay for $80 last year and it works great. Turns out I didn’t need it for Blu rays so I maybe used it for 4 hours total over the past year. Maybe I should offload it.

As much as I love the PS3, with all the HD ports on PS4 that are free on PS+ or go on PS store sales for real cheap, I think my time playing on the console will drop to nothing. PS2 and PS4 will probably be my most played in the long run since I still play PS2 games regularly.

Let me know if you are looking for a buyer for that ps3. I have tried ebay and went after people with great ratings that seem to offload a lot of consoles, but none of them seem to test for network capabilities.

Thanks for the advice y'all!

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

GutBomb posted:

According to wikipedia, it is 240p, on all emulated content, 480i on menus and the rest of the stuff.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah the PS2 collection is basically fine, although there are some SFX discrepancies if you're used to the original cart. The Gamecube one is better on that front but also harder to find.

If you just want to play X2 on a TV it's also still available on the Wii Virtual Console (and Wii U; I forget if it's on the Wii U eShop proper) for 8buckshundred Nintendo points. You can only add more points through the end of March, though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm working on my new, decidedly non-struggle stick layout and it is weirding me the gently caress out that Astro City layouts are slightly asymmetrical between player 1 and player 2

I'm designing my layout around this and I'm fighting with myself as to whether I just mirror one of the sides or make them different

e. I think I get the reasoning though, like player one could sit kind of crooked and give more room at the panel for two people to sit there together?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Or you'd both be slightly crooked, facing the middle of the screen rather than being straight-on to it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

I'm working on my new, decidedly non-struggle stick layout and it is weirding me the gently caress out that Astro City layouts are slightly asymmetrical between player 1 and player 2

That started with the 2L6B panels that originally came with the Astro City:

Before the Astro city there was a really popular cab called the Aero City, and both of it's players had the same layout:

On the Astro, Sega made Player 2's layout the same as the original Aero City layout while trying something new with the player 1 layout, so people who are really used to the Aero City (it was probably the most popular cab in Japan) can just play as the second player. This stuck around when 2L12B panels were made, P2 is basically a doubled up Aero layout:

The 2L16B you linked was never actually sold as a panel for the arcade Astros, it was only used on Sega's awesome Saturn Virtua Stick Pro HSS-0130, but even still on this panel Sega kept the different layouts. From what I can tell this design quirk carried on to Blast City and maybe stuff beyond that.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 31, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's really interesting, and makes perfect sense. Thanks for the effortpost!

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

The US logo is pretty cool but the JP one does edge it out imo. One thing I’ve been meaning to do is burn a region free BIOS chip for mine and if I do that I’d just get it with the JP boot animation anyway. That will make it no longer necessary to patch games to the console region to boot with the modchip.

If you set up a pseudo Saturn cartridge you don't need to region patch anything.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you set up a pseudo Saturn cartridge you don't need to region patch anything.

You can also use the 4-in-1 by itself to skip by all that without flashing Psuedo Saturn to it. Not that there's any real benefit, but if you're lazy...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I had a pseudo Saturn for a while and it did work well for playing copies, it also disabled it's cheat functionality. An action replay by default without pseudo Saturn will let you boot import games as long as they are legit and not burned copies. Pair a mod chip (easiest mod chip install ever) with a stock action replay and you've got cheat functionality, import play (mod chips alone don't enable this), and you can play burned games. Plus the action replay plus 4m also gives you 1mb ram cart and 4mb ram cart functionality and a place to offload save games to when your console's storage fills up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

gently caress Special Cup in Super Mario Kart :gonk:

Winning that poo poo on 100cc was probably the hardest thing I've done in any Mario Kart game, and I'm not even going to bother with 150cc. Donut Plains 3 is the worst track.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

FYI, the author of Psuedo Saturn Kai is working on re-adding cheat functionality. It seems like he's close to finishing it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So to begin in case anyone asks, Yes. I am VERY bad at money. Don't @ me. I am aware.

So I wen't and got my 13'inch Toshiba MV13N3 CRT. Tested it out on my NES, looks and works great. Really bright though. And I learned that the remote I was given to it doesn't go with the TV. I think it goes to a DVD player or something. Now i'm scared to check if I hit the channel up button by mistake, I won't be able to get back to the Line in by just hitting the other direction. I remember that not always being the case with CRTs.

Also, while I was out I decided to check a pawn shop in the area out. They usually had some good NES games. While I was there I asked them if they had old CRTs. He said no but he did have a old SD LCD tv. A Sharp LC-15SH7U. Probably from probably 15 years ago. It takes up less space than the CRT I found so I was considering it. Good Idea or no?

And here is my new super awesome NES corner, right nest to my PC.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have a screensaver that goes through random box arts from NES to PS2/Dreamcast era. Why is there a game on the Dreamcast with a really serious box called Egg?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Because it's short for Elemental Gimmick Gear and is kind of like Zelda with robots that spin on their rear end.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

And here is my new super awesome NES corner, right nest to my PC.

Nice. I'd stick with that unless you found a CRT with better inputs instead of the LCD. Also don't worry about the bad with money thing, this is the :retrogames: thread

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I recall on some episodes of Game Center CX Arino used a tiny 4:3 LCD. I'm curious if it was a special gaming model or if he just had to put up with terrible lag while playing Atlantis no Nazo blind.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

he did have a old SD LCD tv. A Sharp LC-15SH7U. Probably from probably 15 years ago. It takes up less space than the CRT I found so I was considering it. Good Idea or no?

Old lcd computer monitors of the time had terribly slow refresh times and ghosting, perhaps just turn it on and look out for that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

I recall on some episodes of Game Center CX Arino used a tiny 4:3 LCD. I'm curious if it was a special gaming model or if he just had to put up with terrible lag while playing Atlantis no Nazo blind.

This feature from Wired about the show probably has the TV you're talking about in its photos. It's a Toshiba, and some GIS searching for "toshiba lcd tv 4:3" suggests that it's a Toshiba 14DL74, or Japanese model name equivalent of such.

So yeah, probably not anything great for Arino's purposes. Which would make sense, considering the basic production style of the show and likely concordant budget allocation.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha

http://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-entertainment/article/2129690/developer-worlds-worst-video-game-hong-kong-1997-ends

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Because it's short for Elemental Gimmick Gear and is kind of like Zelda with robots that spin on their rear end.
Dad offered to buy me this game and play it with me back in the day, but I turned it down because the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave it a mediocre rating.

To this day, that's one of my biggest regrets. I don't even know if the game is good or not; I just feel bad for turning down time with my old man. (I mean, he's still alive, so it's not like I can't try to have some now, but...)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Dad offered to buy me this game and play it with me back in the day, but I turned it down because the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave it a mediocre rating.

man, same thing happened with me and top gear for SNES, ended up getting f-zero (a single player game) instead. I mean f-zero is awesome, but still. though eventually super tennis became our jam

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rirse posted:

I have a screensaver that goes through random box arts from NES to PS2/Dreamcast era. Why is there a game on the Dreamcast with a really serious box called Egg?

What are you using for this? I've been looking for something similar, short of just downloading some full zip of thousands of cover arts and using the normal image shuffle screensaver.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Agrias120 posted:

What are you using for this? I've been looking for something similar, short of just downloading some full zip of thousands of cover arts and using the normal image shuffle screensaver.

I have a spare Chromecast hooked up to one of my extra monitors, mostly for watching twitch streams and youtube videos. When it's not in use the images are showing random box arts, which I mostly downloaded from this GBATemp thread.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cover-collections-for-emulators-with-cover-support.324714/

Only annoying thing is the zips have random fangame and romhack box arts mixed in along with annoying fanart boxes for released games like Ocarina of Time that don't match the style of the other games on the system.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I would like to free up my cart slot by just having a fully modded system. It sucks having to have the PAR in to be able to play any of my games. I dislike how its menu comes up every time the system boots even when I don't want to cheat and how its save feature is incompatible with the save manager UI in the real Saturn BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
EGG is a good game. I don't think the 3D boss fights have aged well and maybe weren't even good at the time but the rest of the game looks pretty nice and is a fun little Zeldalike