Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lollontee posted:

so who is graham phillips exactly? Like, why is he famous enough to get yelled at?

British twat who speaks Russian nowhere near as good as he thinks, and especially nowhere near to be as patronising about it as he is. Balls deep into Russian culture (not the genuinely curious kind, the creepy Twitter broadsides at Russian women kind), and is paraded by separatists/opposition across various hotspots in Ukrainian war zones and conflict areas like a local village idiot. So yeah, a lovely chap filming POW degradation or blatant boots of a totalitarian mob regime, with spare time hobbies such as getting kicked from a bunch of European countries for being highly provocative (always, without error, matching an angle reported by RT or Sputnik or the like. Maybe even Zvezda, but not even Russians, even those who are paid to do so, are crazy enough for Zveda.) and, if I remember correctly, defending sex offenders on Twitter (iirc he had a raging hardon about Assange).

Oh, and that time he tried to harrass Brown Moses's relative, if I am not misremembering.

And this is, you know, broad strokes. It's been good 3 years since we've heard any much of him on a regular basis.

E: Took a bit of digging for my favourite tweet of his:

https://twitter.com/GrahamWP_UK/status/574522480511049728

After that there're like 30 posts of him backpedalling as to how he totally tricked Ukrainian loyalists with this master bait.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A professional attention whore/ troll? Ok then. I'm still wondering who pays his rent. Thanks!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't use twitter, so my exposure to guys like this is basically through somethingawful threads. It's just really weird to look at people who just seem to do this stuff for a living? Being a Poster.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lollontee posted:

I don't use twitter, so my exposure to guys like this is basically through somethingawful threads. It's just really weird to look at people who just seem to do this stuff for a living? Being a Poster.

A lot of people get their news from memes about dead people and 8 year old girls so there's a market for it.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

British twat who speaks Russian nowhere near as good as he thinks, and especially nowhere near to be as patronising about it as he is. Balls deep into Russian culture (not the genuinely curious kind, the creepy Twitter broadsides at Russian women kind), and is paraded by separatists/opposition across various hotspots in Ukrainian war zones and conflict areas like a local village idiot. So yeah, a lovely chap filming POW degradation or blatant boots of a totalitarian mob regime, with spare time hobbies such as getting kicked from a bunch of European countries for being highly provocative (always, without error, matching an angle reported by RT or Sputnik or the like. Maybe even Zvezda, but not even Russians, even those who are paid to do so, are crazy enough for Zveda.) and, if I remember correctly, defending sex offenders on Twitter (iirc he had a raging hardon about Assange).

Oh, and that time he tried to harrass Brown Moses's relative, if I am not misremembering.

And this is, you know, broad strokes. It's been good 3 years since we've heard any much of him on a regular basis.

After that there're like 30 posts of him backpedalling as to how he totally tricked Ukrainian loyalists with this master bait.

i liked that zvezda documentary about saddam doing lsd

also does that tweet sound as creepy to native speakers? Cause lol

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

HorrificExistence posted:

also does that tweet sound as creepy to native speakers? Cause lol

Yes, he is using a wrong grammatical case in the first part. Something like "Today I want to congratulate TO russian women." It would sound very unnatural.

EDIT: ok, if it would be written grammatically correct, the creepiness (in combination with the photo) would be much more obvious.

Kromgart fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 29, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S42z_1YO8

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

As long as he's been in Russian-speaking places you would think he could speak Russian better. Good to see he's still universally loathed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So there's one more thing American right-wing nutjobs share with their EE counterparts: paranoia over Soros.

But it's even worse because this is an official campaign of the Orban government on which they already spent like 100m. Basically they're claiming that he's trying to get Europe colonized by the refugees and have them overthrow the elected governments.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/EstonianWorld/status/958391879829159936

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

mobby_6kl posted:

So there's one more thing American right-wing nutjobs share with their EE counterparts: paranoia over Soros.

But it's even worse because this is an official campaign of the Orban government on which they already spent like 100m. Basically they're claiming that he's trying to get Europe colonized by the refugees and have them overthrow the elected governments.

That is so odd. I have never seen such a craze over Soros in Lithuania at least. In fact, noone cares for the guy at all.

And what is the main argument of the Orban government for these claims? I mean, what do they think Soro's endgame is? Chaos? Money? Power?

He truly does not have anything better to do than to harass a crazed right wing controlled Eastern European country... ...by sending colonists which they themselves don't realise what they are doing by creating and escalating a conflict by the means of trying to spread peace and prosperity in other countries than the conflict itself is happening through a bunch of philanthropic organisations...

Sounds legit.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Karmalis posted:

And what is the main argument of the Orban government for these claims? I mean, what do they think Soro's endgame is? Chaos? Money? Power?

probably one world cultural marxist government, he's a favorite villain in my country as well

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

large adult son posted:

probably one world cultural marxist government, he's a favorite villain in my country as well

Funny. I bet they have burned all the books written by Marx, Lenin, Sartre and Foucault.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It was another person working for RT who doorstepped my mother, Graham hasn't stooped that low yet.

We've learnt the best way to shut Graham up is ask when exactly he met and started dating his 17 year old financee, because as far as anyone can tell she was either 15 or 16 when he first met her in Luhansk (Graham is in his late 30s).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

It was another person working for RT who doorstepped my mother, Graham hasn't stooped that low yet.

We've learnt the best way to shut Graham up is ask when exactly he met and started dating his 17 year old financee, because as far as anyone can tell she was either 15 or 16 when he first met her in Luhansk (Graham is in his late 30s).

Oh I see, and oh god. :barf:/:staredog:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The number of sleazy western men I met in Ukrainian hostels who were there for the sole purpose of finding a "bride" was astounding, I can only imagine it's gotten worse in the war torn regions since then. These days it's supposedly fashionable for well off Chinese men to marry trafficked Ukr. women.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Come the gently caress on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
?

What's wrong with abbreviations, Ukrainian is a long and awkward to type word.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Being a Ukrainian kid randomly married to a Chinese yuppie half again your age and whisked off to china has got to be up there among the more bizarre experiences you can have.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

?

What's wrong with abbreviations, Ukrainian is a long and awkward to type word.

I think it's the first time I've seen this, or any nationality abbreviated in English. Besides all that, however, "ukr" is a fairly popular shorthand, bearing a connotation of that of a slur, since the Crimea, basically.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think it's the first time I've seen this, or any nationality abbreviated in English. Besides all that, however, "ukr" is a fairly popular shorthand, bearing a connotation of that of a slur, since the Crimea, basically.

At the ukrainian office in [european] company where I work, our office is commonly abbreviated as "ukr". And fwiw I've never heard anyone getting annoyed by that.
Sometimes that gets misspelled as "URK office", which gives some laughs.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

UA is more appropriate as an abbreviation for the country.

Lots of quarantines in schools around here lately. Apparently the measles are out in force. I had an extra week off school because of it. There are other schools in the oblast are still closed. Also sometimes kids in a whole village refuse to go to school so they keep it closed for economic reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Lots of quarantines in schools around here lately. Apparently the measles are out in force. I had an extra week off school because of it. There are other schools in the oblast are still closed. Also sometimes kids in a whole village refuse to go to school so they keep it closed for economic reasons.
Measles? Are they having anti-vaxxer trouble as well?

Edit: sure it's not flu? It's pretty nasty this year....
http://life.pravda.com.ua/health/2018/01/31/228707/

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Measles? Are they having anti-vaxxer trouble as well?

Edit: sure it's not flu? It's pretty nasty this year....
http://life.pravda.com.ua/health/2018/01/31/228707/

Could be flu! That's just what I heard from the плітки mill. I guess the quarantines before today were measles and now the flu has come in. I just found out about Vinogradiv today actually before reading that article. Didn't know about Berehove. I'm hoping to check out their thermal baths on Friday.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shes Not Impressed posted:

On the other hand, UKR is how it's abbreviated in the passports IIRC. In any case, nobody actually gives a poo poo the way people freak out over NorK.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kromgart posted:

At the ukrainian office in [european] company where I work, our office is commonly abbreviated as "ukr". And fwiw I've never heard anyone getting annoyed by that.
Sometimes that gets misspelled as "URK office", which gives some laughs.

Adults in professional context may behave and/or be oblivious to recent Internet developments? Experts are baffled.

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand, UKR is how it's abbreviated in the passports IIRC. In any case, nobody actually gives a poo poo the way people freak out over NorK.

That is how they abbreviate it indeed. Not sure how that is relevant to "ukrs" being used by younger Russian speakers to refer to Ukrainians in derogatory matter.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Soros funds and provides other forms of support for protest and civil liberties groups in Russia's orbit-it's one of the few things OSF actually does that he's accused of.

I don't mean like shadowy (((globalist))) puppeteering, I mean like it's the stuff listed on the OSF front page.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/

idk how effective OSF's work is, organizations like them usually have a really poor RoI.

Paranoia and attacks on him tend to have a common root in the Putin government.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That is how they abbreviate it indeed. Not sure how that is relevant to "ukrs" being used by younger Russian speakers to refer to Ukrainians in derogatory matter.

I've never heard of it, so I guess I will be more careful in the future.

About Soros - it's amusing that his Central European University is located in Budapest, right in the middle of the fortress of the paranoid anti-(((globalist))) wingnuts. I wonder what it's like for the people studying there.

E: Lol, the Soros university is like two blocks away from Orbán's office.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 31, 2018

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Adults in professional context may behave and/or be oblivious to recent Internet developments? Experts are baffled.

Nah, not oblivious, just did not consider almost 4-years-old as "recent Internet development" :downs:
Maybe I'm just too desensitized to such things.

steinrokkan posted:

I've never heard of it, so I guess I will be more careful in the future.

When used as a noun (calling someone "Ukr"), it definitely can sound offensive. And in some contexts it can declare your stance on the conflict in donbass as a pro-russian, which can be dangerous around some people.
Here you used it as an adjective, in writing, in Latin letters, with a period at the end. For such apolitical creature as me, all that made it a very obvious abbreviation made by a foreigner on comedy forums in the internet. :cheers:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe it's just me, but after all the "the Ukraine" posters the thread has seen I wasn't to eager to give benefit of out (and it does honestly feel like the first time I've seen nationality abbreviated on SA :v:).

Also it's about 3 years old, this poo poo barely picked up until late 2014 in my experience. Maybe I'm overestimating how Internet-aware people are, but in my comedy experience of 35 year old Russian-speaking coworker who uses Instagram is a person who has never heard of VKontakte.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 31, 2018

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

aphid_licker posted:

Being a Ukrainian kid randomly married to a Chinese yuppie half again your age and whisked off to china has got to be up there among the more bizarre experiences you can have.

Bizarre, probably more like awful. Being trafficked is probably hell no matter where you end up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe I'm overestimating how Internet-aware people are, but in my comedy experience of 35 year old Russian-speaking coworker who uses Instagram is a person who has never heard of VKontakte.

THE NET IS VAST AND INFINITE.

(I hadn't heard of "ukr" as a slur either).

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nobody has heard of the "ukr" slur.

Expecting the world at large to know anything about obscure Russian message board insults is nuts. It's the slavic version of assuming that everyone who uses the word "stairs" in a sentence is a Goon..

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I remember "ukrop" being used as a slur but not ukr.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I remember "ukrop" being used as a slur but not ukr.

Ukrop both was and is much more common.

Weembles posted:

Nobody has heard of the "ukr" slur.

Expecting the world at large to know anything about obscure Russian message board insults is nuts. It's the slavic version of assuming that everyone who uses the word "stairs" in a sentence is a Goon..

It's not like this is a topic on an obscure message board that is full of people who speak Russian or are otherwise aware of Russian internet culture.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 31, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's not like this is a topic on an obscure message board that is full of people who speak Russian or are otherwise aware of Russian internet culture.

Something Awful is obscure?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

chitoryu12 posted:

Something Awful is obscure?

All internet communities outside the Facebook and Twitter bubbles are pretty obscure tbh.

SA is still somehow one of the most frequented English-speaking internet forums.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Even here, the number of people who are tuned in to Russian/Ukrainian microagressions is small. As far as I can tell, it's just you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Private Speech posted:

All internet communities outside the Facebook and Twitter bubbles are pretty obscure tbh.

SA is still somehow one of the most frequented English-speaking internet forums.

What's surprising about that really? It's been around for nearly 18 years (the entire site itself hit 18 last November), has had a ton of news coverage and a ton of deep connections in web culture. Places like Fark are still around and getting involved in things too, mostly if a place lasts long enough the sheer inertia is going to carry it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Weembles posted:

Even here, the number of people who are tuned in to Russian/Ukrainian microagressions is small. As far as I can tell, it's just you.

That happens when it's your second day of reading this thread.