Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Like this is the ABC. Last night some fuckhead was on and the ABC ran the tale of a single hospo worker who got a raise on his first day because he was such a fantastic worker. Then they asked the worker what he thought about a pay raises in general and said "you should only get more money if you're doing more work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Like this is the ABC. Last night some fuckhead was on and the ABC ran the tale of a single hospo worker who got a raise on his first day because he was such a fantastic worker. Then they asked the worker what he thought about a pay raises in general and said "you should only get more money if you're doing more work".

img-productivity-growth-wage-growth

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mr Chips posted:

An old housemate of mine, who used to be an Amnesty International lawyer and worked on the Woomera detention centre High Court thing, is now EL2 in the Immigration Department. I can't fathom the mental gymnastics invovled in that.
Once you join the Public Service you are part of a career structure. Your ex-housemate has qualifications that are going to channel them into that department. Perhaps they feel they can help mitigate the worst effects of policy by being in a position to assist in the administration of the program or the framing of the legislation.

-/-

The safe issue is possibly the most searing indictment of current public sector policy that has so far come to light. This is a direct result of the outsourcing and labour hire company contracting policies being forced upon the public service. Under the old organisation charts every person who touched that safe would have been experienced/cleared/briefed. This could have still happened but even the lowest level APS grunt would have had some idea of what was going on. The fact that the material was ASTEO is utterly bewildering. This is the stuff that it is believed should not be known by our closest allies (eg USA), Failing to protect this stuff properly has wide reaching ramifications in the of the negotiation of trade deals (etc.). Was interesting to hear Wilkie state that he thought the current parliament house security procedures were a joke and he wouldn't give half the sitting MPs a security clearance.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

^^^ lol hey mate

MikeJF posted:

I have a quite specific adjustment on my chair that currently works best with my hosed up L5/S1 disc and it's quite inconvenient when people take it and change it why can't we just all be considerate :smith:

I don't think that guy likes being quoted FYI

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kylar Loussikian in the paper Daily Telegraph calling Scott Morrison's rules against foreign investment into power infrastructure and farmland as "making it harder for foreign raiders to get their hands on Australian power stations electricity grid and farming land."

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BBJoey posted:

why would you even sell a filing cabinet you no longer have the key for. what did they think the buyer was going to do, leave it locked and use it as a piece of decor? someone’s going to have it drilled in order to be able to put stuff in it at some point so it may as well be parliament house security instead of whatever weirdos but ex-gov furniture

If the cabinet is actually the one in the photo, the combination lock secures all four draws but the top draw has an additional key lock. So if you drill out the key lock, you can still secure the four draws with combination lock. Or ignore the top draw and just use the other three.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Feeney's resigned. Kearney's dropped from the Brunswick race and been selected as Labor's candidate for Batman. Between this and yesterday's Crikey article, Batman just became much more of a fight.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kafka Syrup posted:

Feeney's resigned.

not soon enough

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

not soon enough

Labor's still treating it as a write-off as far as I can tell. Just putting up a bit more of a fight. I hope between Batman and Brunswick, Ged Kearney doesn't become a toxic candidate. She really deserves to be a Federal MP.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kearney could win Batman, but what a poo poo show.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Kafka Syrup posted:

Labor's still treating it as a write-off as far as I can tell. Just putting up a bit more of a fight. I hope between Batman and Brunswick, Ged Kearney doesn't become a toxic candidate. She really deserves to be a Federal MP.

I’d really like for her to be a federal MP. But making her run in either Batman against Alex Bhatal or Brunswick against Tim Read is really making it difficult for me to root for her.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’d really like for her to be a federal MP. But making her run in either Batman against Alex Bhatal or Brunswick against Tim Read is really making it difficult for me to root for her.

They really should have kept her in the back-pocket until the Vic redistro gave them another guaranteed seat in the inner west of Melbourne. Push Tim Watts further out to the suburbs because who cares.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Kafka Syrup posted:

They really should have kept her in the back-pocket until the Vic redistro gave them another guaranteed seat in the inner west of Melbourne. Push Tim Watts further out to the suburbs because who cares.

I guess they just want to show that they’re trying their hardest to battle the green menace by putting such a great candidate forward?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So is Malcom Turnbull

a) a decent politician hamstrung by a lovely right wing party that want the worst stuff

or

b) a bad politician and prime minister

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
B)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Testekill posted:

So is Malcom Turnbull

a) a decent politician hamstrung by a lovely right wing party that want the worst stuff

or

He'd happily be Prime Minister of a party that wasn't quite as a conservative. If he had his way we'd have carbon pricing and there would have been no need for a survey on SSM, but he didn't need to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the ABCC or the ROC.

He's pretty poo poo at being a politician though, regardless of what his views are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Testekill posted:

b) a bad person

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
new thread when?

we now have three elections in March (and it's been ages since we did a good ol' fashioned party/union membership poll.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
he's a bad person and a worse politican, op

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Kafka Syrup posted:

new thread when?

we now have three elections in March (and it's been ages since we did a good ol' fashioned party/union membership poll.

DLP/SDA 4 life

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
til death*

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Do we in SA have anything to worry about come March? I can't even name the opposition leader.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do we in SA have anything to worry about come March? I can't even name the opposition leader.

"Nick Xenophon".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xenophon is going to pick who will be the premier.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

So the Libs will win. Also the Greens are basically gonna be wiped out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
New thread or nah?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kafka Syrup posted:

Feeney's resigned. Kearney's dropped from the Brunswick race and been selected as Labor's candidate for Batman. Between this and yesterday's Crikey article, Batman just became much more of a fight.

Good, Feeney was a complete slime ball, happy to use the Jewish voters in his electorate as weapons against his enemies in the media.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

New thread or nah?

pls.

You Am I posted:

Good, Feeney was a complete slime ball, happy to use the Jewish voters in his electorate as weapons against his enemies in the media.

Isn't that more Danby's deal? I thought Feeney was just a useless internal powerbroker.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

New thread or nah?

need a new loving country mate

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kafka Syrup posted:

So the Libs will win. Also the Greens are basically gonna be wiped out.

This is what I expect, and if so it will become his Nick Clegg moment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Feeney press conference at 3PM.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JBP posted:

Isn't he poised to just syphon off a bunch of lib seats? I've really not been paying attention.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I don't think anyone really knows how it's going to play out. Generally speaking Auspol election predictions have a tendency to be incredibly cynical and pessimistic so wait and see IMO.

Also I'm not posting a new thread, to be clear :P

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This is like Burn After Reading, except the government are the unbelievably clueless idiot faction.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Auspol election predictions have a tendency to be incredibly cynical and pessimistic.

No wonder we are so accurate.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It takes some serious effort to compete with America on the incompetence front RN, but we're sure giving it a hero's try.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Kerbside recycling in Victoria is fukt btw

When I moved into my new place last year I made a point about this to the Dept, saying it was unrealistic to expect poor people to put up with a bunch of junk because the Dept was too cheap to do a hard rubbish collection every six months or so, and they agreed but "budget". Then in December someone threw a mattress over the fence and miracles of miracles two bins appeared in the courtyard with a face-saving letter proposing inspections and threatening legal action for bad flat maintenance. I suspect they found a working argument at last.

Testekill posted:

So is Malcom Turnbull

or

He's a rich arsehole who will always protect the interests of other rich arseholes before any other consideration because we're all mean to them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of the SA Election and Xenophon, what's some good examples of him being a centrist shitlord I can show to MrsMachineGun? She usually votes green but she likes ol' Nick and is saying she'll vote SA Best :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

I don't think anyone really knows how it's going to play out. Generally speaking Auspol election predictions have a tendency to be incredibly cynical and pessimistic so wait and see IMO.

Yeah, but isn't he largely challenging Lib seats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of the SA Election and Xenophon, what's some good examples of him being a centrist shitlord I can show to MrsMachineGun? She usually votes green but she likes ol' Nick and is saying she'll vote SA Best :(

:sever:

• Locked thread