Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Morpheus posted:

It annoys the hell out of me when there's some sort of disturbance, typically a gunshot or something, and only a single cop shows up without a partner, investigates, inevitably gets killed (because all cops are useless unless they're the main character), and literally no one else shows up to investigate.

"Where's officer Jim?"
"Well he called in saying he was checking something out. That was half an hour ago, no response."
"Well okay clearly if there was something wrong he would've told us. I'm going to get a donut."

This kind of thing bugs me too, but also when cops don't immediately call for backup when they notice the situation is hosed up and they end up dying before they can so no more help is coming. It happens all the time in horror/thriller movies. At least call in and say if they don't hear anything for a certain amount of time to send backup to their location. The only way I can see this kind of behavior as realistic is in very small towns where the cops mostly just gently caress around all day, but when the NY/LAPD or whoever acts so careless it's hard to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This kind of thing bugs me too, but also when cops don't immediately call for backup when they notice the situation is hosed up and they end up dying before they can so no more help is coming. It happens all the time in horror/thriller movies. At least call in and say if they don't hear anything for a certain amount of time to send backup to their location. The only way I can see this kind of behavior as realistic is in very small towns where the cops mostly just gently caress around all day, but when the NY/LAPD or whoever acts so careless it's hard to buy.

I liked the twist on it in Monster House - the cops joke about calling for backup because they aren't taking the situation any kind of seriously, to them it's just some kids worried about some nebulous creature, and the only other cop in their tiny town is Janice back at the station, however they at least are there to back each other up, even if it isn't sufficient - then the house attacks them and they do try to call for backup as soon as the situation calls for it ("I thought you said there was no backup!" "I'M CALLING JANICE! :byodood:")

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Morpheus posted:

It annoys the hell out of me when there's some sort of disturbance, typically a gunshot or something, and only a single cop shows up without a partner, investigates, inevitably gets killed (because all cops are useless unless they're the main character), and literally no one else shows up to investigate.

"Where's officer Jim?"
"Well he called in saying he was checking something out. That was half an hour ago, no response."
"Well okay clearly if there was something wrong he would've told us. I'm going to get a donut."

Speaking of cops being useless in movies, what exactly are the police/FBI/ATF/Interpol doing over the course of 8 (?) Saw films? I mean, a body count approaching triple digits, kisnapping with impunity, setting up these elaborate murder fortresses all over the place...at no point is anyone able to track a credit card receipt or something?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm always annoyed when cops/soldiers/whatever in a show have live radios and some poo poo happens and they don't report it and all get killed or whatever and someone has to come investigate what happened to them totally blind because they couldn't keep base aware of the situation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A lot of radios even have an “oh poo poo” button that opens the mic and usually has some way to transmit the location, so even if things go sideways , calling for backup is “HIT THE BIG ORANGE BUTTON” away.

And yeah, pretty much any 911 call gets a cop, even if you’re like “I was trying to dial a 914 area code and slipped, sorry”. That way they can verify the misdial and be sure it wasn’t someone who wasn’t able to actually report the problem on the phone.

There’s a lovely 911 operator game that came out recently (I think it’s on Steam sale today, actually) that penalized you for sending cops to calls if it was nothing. That got refunded pretty quick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

letthereberock posted:

Speaking of cops being useless in movies, what exactly are the police/FBI/ATF/Interpol doing over the course of 8 (?) Saw films? I mean, a body count approaching triple digits, kisnapping with impunity, setting up these elaborate murder fortresses all over the place...at no point is anyone able to track a credit card receipt or something?

This happens all the time in real life but only if the victims are not white.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

Another annoying 911 thing in movies is when someone calls 911 and after 'hello 911 whats your emergency' they change their mind and are just like 'I made a mistake' or 'never mind' and put the phone down instantly. Wouldn't the police still come and check out something like that?

My kid got a hold of his moms phone while we were vacationing in Florida couple years back, and managed to pull up the emergency contacts and dial 911, two police officers were at the front door with their hands on their guns within 2 minutes of me taking the phone and hanging up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

letthereberock posted:

Jigsaw is basically an omniscient god who knows every move everyone will ever make at every turn so it's no surprise he's ahead of the cops everywhere. It's pretty stupid at this point.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

When people, heroes or otherwise, buy incriminating items like shovels or kitchen knives in store with credit cards. Even if they use cash there's still camera evidence. But I guess showing the person going to a garage sale and buying knives or tools would take too long in a movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Jigsaw is basically an omniscient god who knows every move everyone will ever make at every turn so it's no surprise he's ahead of the cops everywhere. It's pretty stupid at this point.

I like how every movie since his death seems to try and make people believe he's still alive, and I always find myself believing it because of how stupidly powerful he is written to be. Like him faking his own death/autopsy or actually being resurrected probably wouldn't be the dumbest thing the writers have ever put in those movies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the only resurrection plots that work are when they are played for jokes, like Gotham's plot with Jerome's resurrection. It had a hilarious scene where he wakes up late after the initial attempt fails, right in at the start of Lee Thompkins performing his autopsy, and she ends up bringing him up to speed, with him being really annoyed that a) Theo Galavan died before he could kill him, and b) that Theo resurrected first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEp9VhB6M8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the only resurrection plots that work are when they are played for jokes, like Gotham's plot with Jerome's resurrection. It had a hilarious scene where he wakes up late after the initial attempt fails, right in at the start of Lee Thompkins performing his autopsy, and she ends up bringing him up to speed, with him being really annoyed that a) Theo Galavan died before he could kill him, and b) that Theo resurrected first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEp9VhB6M8

lol it looks like he drew on his face with a red marker

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Holy poo poo that show looks retarded. Did they literally tell that guy to just do a Heath Ledger impression?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The show is over top campy and super fun

Batman is a very silly franchise if you give any of it a second's thought. Not all of it needs to be played straight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Bloop posted:

The show is over top campy and super fun

Batman is a very silly franchise if you give any of it a second's thought. Not all of it needs to be played straight.

Yeah, that's why I love that show. My favourite major deviation from the canon is that Nora Fries is already dead. She saw what Victor's attempts to cryogenically freeze her were doing to him mentally and didn't want to be the reason he lost his humanity, so deliberately switched the perfected cryocanister with an earlier crap model, meaning that she didn't freeze properly and... became kind of a mess on the table. Suicide by Victor

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Holy poo poo that show looks retarded. Did they literally tell that guy to just do a Heath Ledger impression?

The show has had him basically play every version of the joker, and it's been hilarious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sassassin posted:

Frankenstein was a horror story written by an 18 year old girl in the 19th century to impress her writer boyfriend and his pals. Demons, Heaven and Hell are concepts that stretch back thousands of years.

Proof of the latter doesn't mean every monster in fiction is likely to exist.

To be fair they also said "angels can't be real" after both of the brothers had been to real biblical hell (I think they were both there by that point at least)

And the show is all about family except for their half brother. gently caress that guy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How does Batman always have time to put on eye makeup? Or take it off for that matter?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

How does Batman always have time to put on eye makeup? Or take it off for that matter?

Foundation can be applied with real expensive at home air brushes. I assume he has some tactilol camouflage war paint in 'Blackest Blacque' in his batcar to spritz on. Makeup wipes are fairly portable too. I'm not a nerd, I'm just familiar with being a depressed teen who cried a lot sometimes in public and having to fix my face before carrying on. Never had the actual cash for a personal air brush, though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MacheteZombie posted:

The show has had him basically play every version of the joker, and it's been hilarious.

YouTube is failing me, ya got a link to the 60’s version with paint over ‘stache?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

value-brand cereal posted:

Foundation can be applied with real expensive at home air brushes. I assume he has some tactilol camouflage war paint in 'Blackest Blacque' in his batcar to spritz on. Makeup wipes are fairly portable too. I'm not a nerd, I'm just familiar with being a depressed teen who cried a lot sometimes in public and having to fix my face before carrying on. Never had the actual cash for a personal air brush, though.

Micro airbrush nozzles at the brow that spray after it is on, embedded makeup wipes on the neck that wipe it away when he takes it off.

Very Batman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

value-brand cereal posted:

Bullshit.

You're Batman aren't you?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

It's one of those things you're just supposed to pretend isn't actually real.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

BiggerBoat posted:

Makeup gun? Still works within his code.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

In Kick rear end they show Big Daddy applying it and he seems to spend considerable time on his eyes and stasche.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
When something suddenly jumps into the frame, surprising the audience and the characters, even though there's no way the characters wouldn't have seen it coming because they can see more than just what's in the frame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panfilo posted:

In Kick rear end they show Big Daddy applying it and he seems to spend considerable time on his eyes and stasche.

Apparently it was Nicholas Cage's idea to hide his mustache with an even bigger mustache.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inescapable Duck posted:

Apparently it was Nicholas Cage's idea to hide his mustache with an even bigger mustache.

God I want this to be true.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

God I want this to be true.

I don't see how it can possibly not be true.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering Cage was in full Baron Samedi makeup for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengance despite knowing it would be CGI'ed out, I can totally believe he'd put a mustache over his mustache in Kick-rear end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Len posted:

To be fair they also said "angels can't be real" after both of the brothers had been to real biblical hell (I think they were both there by that point at least)

And the show is all about family except for their half brother. gently caress that guy.

Only Dean went to hell at that point, then the angels pulled him out to try and stop the apocalypse etc. I think their disbelief about angels is more "if they were real where have they been" than anything. The show quickly answers that and they realize it's because angels+god on that show are dicks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Android Apocalypse posted:

Considering Cage was in full Baron Samedi makeup for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengance despite knowing it would be CGI'ed out, I can totally believe he'd put a mustache over his mustache in Kick-rear end.

I love this man more than I love myself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Send more cops

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Phanatic posted:

When something suddenly jumps into the frame, surprising the audience and the characters, even though there's no way the characters wouldn't have seen it coming because they can see more than just what's in the frame.

The scene in Django Unchained where Waltz pops into the frame is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/AFmuwF9xkq0

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

synthetik posted:

So's the fact that that youtube clip is titled "shooting scene". How the hell does that tell anyone which scene of Django Unchained it actually is?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ravenfood posted:

So's the fact that that youtube clip is titled "shooting scene". How the hell does that tell anyone which scene of Django Unchained it actually is?

Well, you know, it's the scene in Django Unchained with shooting, obviously.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

synthetik posted:

The running (heh) gag in Silver Linings Playbook of Jennifer Lawrence jumping into the frame is a funny (and intentional) example of this as well. There’s no way Bradley Cooper wouldn’t see her coming, but it makes sense given his mental state at this point in the movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-yAXNOsEo80

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There are a lot of movies where either the cops or the protagonists in general find a phone and contact the bad guys. They are always painfully obvious that they aren't the person the bad guy thinks they are talking to because it always goes like "hey how's it going...so where are you located right now?". Haven't these people ever heard of subtlety?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Ravenfood posted:

I think I looked up “Snow Shooting Scene”or something equally alliterative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There are a lot of movies where either the cops or the protagonists in general find a phone and contact the bad guys. They are always painfully obvious that they aren't the person the bad guy thinks they are talking to because it always goes like "hey how's it going...so where are you located right now?". Haven't these people ever heard of subtlety?

Narp?