Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

There are these two young fish swimming along, and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says, "Morning, boys, how's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes, "What the hell is water?

they can’t see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Toops posted:

oh. well i change my opinion i guess...

No way man - having opposing opinions on this board is what separates us from the Citizens. From bleu cheese tacos to space games, disagreement fuels our engines. Dead gay comedy forums are well-known as bastions of reasonable discourse and white-tower intellectualism.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

The stolen ship thing, we didn't mean it, that's only for 3.0 and 3.1. We didn't make any changes to the long term designs.

What happened to "This was publicly known.", and "We told you back in November."?

Lando got his arsed kicked when CIG figured out they'd upset people for no reason at all. I bet the thinking from Chris Roberts is, this was stupid, why tell them something won't be done, it's not like there'll ever be a game anyway.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol we are back into the promising the moon phase of marketing development, just a little while till they go into the shut up and dont talk about anything till gamescom citcon.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

Lando got his arsed kicked when CIG figured out they'd upset people for no reason at all. I bet the thinking from Chris Roberts is, this was stupid, why tell them something won't be done, it's not like there'll ever be a game anyway.

Sometimes I wonder how the CIG employee certainty levels are across different departments and employees. Like is there an entire set of developers who know 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt that the game is never coming out? I suspect the people tasked with making the holiday SQ42 "demo" are pretty close to knowing. Not sure about artists or ship pipeline peeps, customer service, and the like. You know someone there knows for certain, probably several someones.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol we are back into the promising the moon phase of marketing development, just a little while till they go into the shut up and dont talk about anything till gamescom citcon.

Yes, but this time it's Charon rather than that silly old Moon moon that everyone else is always promising. CIG will not make the mistakes of old.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

New pirate ship sale for whatever new mechanics they dream up to cover this fuckup.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Sometimes I wonder how the CIG employee certainty levels are across different departments and employees. Like is there an entire set of developers who know 100% beyond the shadow of a doubt that the game is never coming out? I suspect the people tasked with making the holiday SQ42 "demo" are pretty close to knowing. Not sure about artists or ship pipeline peeps, customer service, and the like. You know someone there knows for certain, probably several someones.

Having been a part of projects/companies that were highly dysfunctional and distressed, for me it’s equal parts “i enjoy the work,” “i like the people,” “i am not responsible for business outcomes,” and “in the end, everything fails, well all die, and the temperature of the universe is absolute zero for the rest of forever.”

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

That's the $1,000 free tophat. It comes with a monocle, but that hasn't been implemented because they promised it has an optiVis interface. The gold space suit is free after you spend $5,000. There's also a spaceship with gold trim around the $25,000 level.

That’s insanely stupid. Who the hell thinks this looks anything but stupid in their super serious space video game that has no humor in it anywhere?

May as well rip off some space sheets from a licensed image of a kids bedsheet set and photoshop out the watermarks and go lol look at how funny we are.

Anyhow I’m glad it’s working well for them. I’m looking forward to the Hello Kitty edition.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think the cycle of "this feature won't be in the game" --> sperg rage --> "actually it will be in the game, now we're having a ship sale to take advantage of this gameplay aspect" is a pretty dicey proposition, if that's what's going on

but when has CIG ever said no to something promising some measure of short-term gain

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Star Citizen is a shining example as to why you can't trust the invisible hand of the free market to do anything because people are stupid and enjoy shoveling money into pipe dreams.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/958838281151623168

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

Assuming this is true, and Lando and Will got in poo poo: How great would it be to work at the most open development studio ever, expected to constantly share information, but if you accidentally share the wrong piece of truth, you get the stick. That would be a brew house for crushing psychological stress.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Titanic posted:

That’s insanely stupid. Who the hell thinks this looks anything but stupid in their super serious space video game that has no humor in it anywhere?

May as well rip off some space sheets from a licensed image of a kids bedsheet set and photoshop out the watermarks and go lol look at how funny we are.

Anyhow I’m glad it’s working well for them. I’m looking forward to the Hello Kitty edition.

Hello Kittizen

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CIG insisting on calling the behavioral ramifications of having no loving game "bugs" because real code has bugs is probably the aspect of the CIG saga that triggers me the most.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm mildly amused that the "DEFAULT GROUND MATERIAL" texture is mapped backwards in their test level.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am here to chew bubble gum and fix Star Citizen and I have run out of bubble gum - CIG marketing

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AP posted:

"No you idiot! You always tell them it is coming down the pipeline! It doesn't matter what it is! It doesn't even matter if it contradicts something else we said before! The answer is always YES! Then say something about meshes or refactoring or networking 2-point-whatever! Suckers don't buy in because of No's! They do it because of the Yes's!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

You may see that as a reversal of their previously stated position on ship capture, which was itself a reversal of early statements...

But all I hear are inflections, intonations, personalities, the sincerity. If you’d stop pointing out substantive issues you’d just might really appreciate the stylistic ones more.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I like when he gets all uppity and links 20 blogs.

Besides, I've been right about plenty of things. I nailed the polaris pricing, I nailed the 2.6 release, SM code in 2.6 (turned on with the very next patch), I nailed ship names, etc etc. I lost my source so I don't "call" as many things anymore.

SQ42 Def: 2018. 2018 is the year.

Erris of all people noted that female player characters are scheduled for end of year release yet Chris Roberts said that you could play Squadron as a female character or male. Is this not CIG telling everyone not to expect a 2018 release of Squadron?

Do we even know what actress did the voice work for that? i assume since we’ve seen nothing about it that either the voice capture work is still ahead or (more likely) Chris, Haddock et al didn’t plan on a female player option up front. The gigantic Squadron script probably doesn’t have unique lines or branches depending on character gender. Drop in a female ragdoll and it still won’t have hip-sway.

But maybe I’m wrong about that. I may have just missed it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 1, 2018

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Toops posted:

Bitcoin, VR, and Star Citizen.

One more dipshit nerd honeypot and we can call them “the four horsemen of the spergpocalypse.”

If you’ve spent money on any of those things, please hit yourself in the face with a dinner plate.

Tippis posted:

Oh crap. Does this mean I have to invest in VR now? :eng99:

Still can't decide…

Juicero.

:)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

But all I hear are inflections, intonations, personalities, the sincerity. If you’d stop pointing out substantive issues you’d just might really appreciate the stylistic ones more.

It's worth noting that Lando said the change only applied to 3.0, 3.1, etc, they had made no change to the long term design, yet he never said a single word about what the long term design was.

Whatever it is, it's not this, fear not chariot buyers.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

XK posted:

The stolen ship thing, we didn't mean it, that's only for 3.0 and 3.1. We didn't make any changes to the long term designs.

What happened to "This was publicly known.", and "We told you back in November."?

CIG can completely change the mechanics of the game within days, back to back and backers aren't concerned in the slightest that this means they have no idea what the game will actually be at this point. Only that they have now been told a good thing to counteract a bad thing.

Like, the curtain already fell. Everyone can see the guy who knows he was caught looking scared with his hands on the levers. The backers refuse to look at him and complain openly without acknowledging him until he starts moving the levers again to make them happy.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

_fucking_ _triggered_

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

G0RF posted:

You may see that as a reversal of their preiviously stated position on ship capture which was itself a reversal of early statements...

Erris of all people noted that female player characters are scheduled for end of year release yet Chris Roberts said that you could play Squadron as a female character or male. Is this not CIG telling everyone not to expect a 2018 release of Squadron?

Do we even know what actress did the voice work for that? i assume since we’ve seen nothing about it that either the voice capture work is still ahead or (more likely) Chris, Haddock et al didn’t plan on a female player option up front. The gigantic Squadron script probably doesn’t have unique lines or branches depending on character gender. Drop in a female ragdoll and it still won’t have hip-sway.

But maybe I’m wrong about that. I may have just missed it.

Something tells me that even if Squadron 42 does ever get released, it's gunna suck. They couldn't even keep the tutorial missions together and that was -- what? 45 minutes of gameplay, tops?
Chris can't seem to nail down a coherent version of the game... His "vision" seems to change day to day.
Until the engine is finished (hahaha), you can't even begin to layout a playable game from a tech standpoint.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Besides, I've been right about plenty of things. I nailed the polaris pricing, I nailed the 2.6 release, SM code in 2.6 (turned on with the very next patch), I nailed ship names, etc etc. I lost my source so I don't "call" as many things anymore.

And MOMA, before you go and say they can feature lock the SQ42 engine... That sounds like two games to me.
Checkmate Goonie.

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 1, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

This is a great gently caress up. It's not just that Chris said you could play SQ42 as a female.

You're supposed to, eventually, be able to play the persistent universe as a female character. The SQ42 campaign, upon completion, is supposed to set your character up with additional resources and status in the persistent universe (Citizenship is earned). They've clearly stated there will be some character reward carry over for completing the single player.

Taken together, this would strongly imply you can play SQ42 as a female.

Let's bet the SQ42 script, and all the media that have already been recorded, have no accommodation whatsoever for playing as a woman.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

RobotDogPolice posted:

Star Citizen is a shining example as to why you can't trust the invisible hand of the free market to do anything because people are stupid and enjoy shoveling money into pipe dreams.

Imagine a command economy, with Croberts administering it.

Nov 24, 2014

lol juicero is old hat, the new hotness is raw water.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Streetroller posted:

Something tells me that even if Squadron 42 does ever get released, it's gunna suck.

:lol:

The thing I want most out of all of this, before it all implodes, is for SQ42 to be released.

I don't even think it's possible at this point, but I want it so badly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

This is a culmination of a few weeks of gameplay, inspired by Benny Henge. It gave me a lot of insight into how these missions function, I’ve been on approximately 36 of them. Blackbox collection missions have a certain zen and calmness which I enjoy. If anyone else wishes to contribute to the henge or visit it please get in touch. Hope to double its size by the next reset.

I bet if you showed this guy a gif of almost anything in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, he would probably come unglued.

If the epitome of your gameplay revolves around the concept of “look at the dumb poo poo I do in Skyrim after I’ve played it for 700 hours”, without the initial 700 hours of an actual game...you’re probably in some trouble somewhere.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Streetroller posted:

And MOMA, before you go and say they can feature lock the SQ42 engine... That sounds like two games to me.
Checkmate Goonie.

You must've missed it. CIG explicitly stated in their last court filing that SQ42 was a separate game.

A direct quote contained within CIG response:

quote:

a “game” (Star Citizen) and a “related game” (Squadron 42).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

XK posted:

:lol:

The thing I want most out of all of this, before it all implodes, is for SQ42 to be released.

I don't even think it's possible at this point, but I want it so badly.

It took them a year to stitch together identical hallways, badly scripted and completely locked-in lovely motion capture NPCs to walk by like you're on an animatronic ride at Disneyland, and gaming history's worst space-shooting mechanics. This in a demo that you had to practically crawl through to keep from crashing, and all of that edited together because it kept crashing anyway during recording. Completely linear experience because everything we saw over the holiday was literally everything they have, edited to make it look like it was working properly in-engine.

They are literally years and years away from anything remotely playable, and what they do have is complete poo poo. Star Citizen has already failed, they just have to release the failure so everyone can see it. At this point they may as well just take their demo systems around the country and let people pay $2 a head at carnivals to peek behind a curtain to see Chris and his "game."

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Streetroller posted:

Something tells me that even if Squadron 42 does ever get released, it's gunna suck. They couldn't even keep the tutorial missions together and that was -- what? 45 minutes of gameplay, tops?

My Future For SQ42, The PU, And My Channel

"I don't feel the writing is done very well at all it's kindof rudimentary, you spend a lot of your time just walking around talking to people. That doesn't interest me at all"

"There is just nothing about the vertical slice that excited me in any way"

"I'm just not personally enjoying 3.0 right now"

'I have been actively looking for a job' 'I have an internship program that I'm going to contact'

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Exclusive leak from Derek's book.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Kins posted:

Hello thread! I got a new computer yesterday!! Going from "sitting precariously on the border of minimum system requirements, tweaking settings back and forth to try and get to play well without graphics corrupting weirdly" to "60fps lock on ultra settings" sure is some poo poo!

What are some good games that are released and exist that'll caress my eyeballs with lots of polygons and also be good? I have Doom 2016 installed and ready for a second playthrough, and I've got Watch Dogs 2, MGSV, Hitman, Quake Champions, Killing Floor 2 and GTAV queued up in my "Unfinished Business" Steam category. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Yeah. I heard about this cool game, maybe you've heard of it. Star Citizen, it was called. I'm sure your new computer can run it at an impressive, butter smooth 20 fps. It has a lot of polygons. Enjoy the experience, commando !

Nyast fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 1, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Virtual Captain posted:

My Future For SQ42, The PU, And My Channel

"I don't feel the writing is done very well at all it's kindof rudimentary, you spend a lot of your time just walking around talking to people. That doesn't interest me at all"

Very few of the backers are interested in SQ42. The backers that are majority interested in SQ42 aren't the backers buying ships. The people who care about SQ42 are the people who don't give a poo poo about mucking around in a persistent online universe, and also crobbler.

It's such a wonderful blackhole for the project.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG insisting on calling the behavioral ramifications of having no loving game "bugs" because real code has bugs is probably the aspect of the CIG saga that triggers me the most.

I mean, the foundation of Star Citizen is pretty much done. Just need to apply some “Development Philosophies for Writing Bug Free Software” from the undisputed bible of programming perfection:

I mean the forward is written by Dave motherflippin’ Moore, Former Director of Development, Microsoft Corporation, so you know it’s the real poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, NONE of the above is remotely true.

In fact, as to the SM one, I said that it wasn't in the 2.6 patch. YOU and a bunch of nutjobs disputed it. Then it showed up in a follow-up patch. Everyone went silent.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

I'm mildly amused that the "DEFAULT GROUND MATERIAL" texture is mapped backwards in their test level.

If your test level is broken, what are you testing?

Just one of the many pearls of wisdom you will find in the step-by-step guide to literal programming perfection, ”Writing Solid Code,” with forward by the guy that brought you Windows 98.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know why I'm ruminating on that idiotic "Crytek didn't register the copyright" argument. I think it just baffles me.

Let's say J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, and kept it all to herself. Then she has people over for a dinner party, and somebody snoops through her poo poo and finds it. Then that person publishes it, reaps the rewards, and J.K. can't do anything about it because she didn't register the copyright?

That's just not how copyright works. Copyright is automatic. Registering copyright is just a legal convenience for widely known properties.