Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The rest of the singing isn’t as funny but:

“He failed to bring back the sampo!”
“Sampo!”

made me laugh really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Today’s the 25th anniversary of Manos: the Hands of Fate’s first airing on MST3K.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Today’s the 25th anniversary of Manos: the Hands of Fate’s first airing on MST3K.

Happy Silver Anniversary, Torgo, and congrats on catering Servo's First Communion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Happy Silver Anniversary, Torgo, and congrats on catering Servo's First Communion.

I thought that was Ortega?

Mike was so disgusted with Ortega's smell and dropping ashes into the dishes, he basically chased him off with ridicule. Crow got pissed and Tom started crying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Mike was so disgusted with Ortega's smell and dropping ashes into the dishes, he basically chased him off with ridicule. Crow got pissed and Tom started crying.

You're completely and totally right. Whoops!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Slightly off, Crow got pissed and ran off crying. Tom was still dithering over which of Ortega's dishes he wanted to try. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Slightly off, Crow got pissed and ran off crying. Tom was still dithering over which of Ortega's dishes he wanted to try. :v:

Huh. Sure sounded like Tom doing the crying. Also, on re-watch it looks like Ortega pours poison/acid in his eyes instead of running off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LcDG_tWipM&t=4205s

start at 1:10:05 for the skit.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I thought Servo was Jewish?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The rest of the singing isn’t as funny but:

“He failed to bring back the sampo!”
“Sampo!”

made me laugh really hard.
I don't remember if I've ever actually seen the Sampo/Day The Earth Froze episode, but from a :finland: perspective it's always fun to see people try to make sense of the crazy bullshit that is our national epic. Ask me about the Sampo (and don't expect any decent answers, because I haven't read Kalevala since high school).

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Violent Years (and its accompanied short) are all really something. Just such a bizarre time in cinema as well as some great riffs.

"Shut up! Shut Up! SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't remember if I've ever actually seen the Sampo/Day The Earth Froze episode, but from a :finland: perspective it's always fun to see people try to make sense of the crazy bullshit that is our national epic. Ask me about the Sampo (and don't expect any decent answers, because I haven't read Kalevala since high school).

What the gently caress even is a Sampo in the first place? Best I can tell is it's some sort of magical snack machine/horn of plenty that only this one bearded guy can build and he can only build it once.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Ortega would have been MST3K's Torgo had he gotten there first.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the gently caress even is a Sampo in the first place? Best I can tell is it's some sort of magical snack machine/horn of plenty that only this one bearded guy can build and he can only build it once.

That's more or less what it is, a magical artifact that brought wealth and good fortune to people.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Say what you want about Ortega, but he has good penmanship.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Command Ant posted:

Ortega would have been MST3K's Torgo had he gotten there first.

They still had him manning the phones during Pearls public access TV donation drive. I'm sure he did fine.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If you know what a Sampo is, write it down on a piece of paper and throw it away. You'll be glad you did.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Ladies and gentlemen, the Swedish Moses of Soul

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Elias Lönnrot, the guy who compiled Kalevala, interpreted it as a magical mill that can create flour, salt, and gold coins out of nothing.

That's definitely what I think of when someone mentions the Sampo and it is often depicted that way in art, but like its Wikipedia article mentions, some folks interpret it as a world pillar or world tree or something based on various historical relics found in the area, such as a Byzantine coin die.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

What the gently caress even is a Sampo in the first place?

:eng101: Sampo means Flavor

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

We all know Sampo is a cheap TV.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think it's a strapless evening gown

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
"I think the sun was bigger."
"Yes, we recall it was quite large."

"Rocky, help me!I seem to be on fire"

*Man slaps fridge soldiers*
"It's Patton!"

It's one of my favorite episodes

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Upcoming DVD release

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/958759819816480768

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

brocked posted:

"I think the sun was bigger."
"Yes, we recall it was quite large."

"Rocky, help me!I seem to be on fire"

*Man slaps fridge soldiers*
"It's Patton!"

It's one of my favorite episodes

Servo's delivery of "you act like I'm the bad guy" was perfect, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I think it's a strapless evening gown

You think everything's a strapless evening gown!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So then, kids actually do come running for the great taste of sampo. :aaa:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/malteseanna/status/958776212914028544

Some pretty good ones in that thread.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

And today is the 14th anniversary of the last time MST3K aired on SciFi (a rerun of The Screaming Skull). For a long time it was the last time MST3K ever aired on TV, but that isn't true any more.

Also, Don Sullivan of The Giant Gila Monster and The Rebel Set has died. Put your leg up on something in memory.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rifftrax actually did a couple of riffs in one of the Fantagraphics Peanuts collection

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Could this mean that there will be another one with the Shout single disks, like Red Zone Cuba and Batwoman?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Can I just say that I am in love with the Comet TV network. Not only are they airing MST3k on Sunday nights, but I have also seen a bunch of unriffed versions of movies that have been featured not only on MST3k but also Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic. Eegah is on right now where I am.

It's a fuckin' amazing network, I guess is what I'm saying.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Yay! They did that thing I wished they'd do!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Were all of these single-disc Rhino releases? I know Santa v Martians was on that old Essentials disc with Manos, but I could have sworn Eegah was on a real set at some point.

In other news, I’m only missing 7 sets now (not counting the insanely expensive original release of Volume 10). :shepspends:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

those are all fantastic

"I feel like you're not ready for some football" slayed me

(Do only olds remember "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOOOOTBAAAAALLLL???")

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Were all of these single-disc Rhino releases? I know Santa v Martians was on that old Essentials disc with Manos, but I could have sworn Eegah was on a real set at some point.

In other news, I’m only missing 7 sets now (not counting the insanely expensive original release of Volume 10). :shepspends:

Eegah has only been a single release.

Amazing Colossal Man remains a VHS-only Rhino release.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

those are all fantastic

"I feel like you're not ready for some football" slayed me

(Do only olds remember "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOOOOTBAAAAALLLL???")

Hank Jr has been brought back with some auto tuned younguns in a ploy to bring Americans back to Monday night football. It's not good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

And today is the 14th anniversary of the last time MST3K aired on SciFi (a rerun of The Screaming Skull). For a long time it was the last time MST3K ever aired on TV, but that isn't true any more.

Also, Don Sullivan of The Giant Gila Monster and The Rebel Set has died. Put your leg up on something in memory.

Those are two of my favorite episodes, too. I hope you're singin' wherever you're swingin', Don. :(

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The Pumaman has to be one of the very few movies where I actually wanted the villain to win.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’m sure you all know but the free app, Pluto TV has a dedicated channel for MST3K, a separate one for Rifftrax, and a Shout! Channel that will frequently play MST3K

Unlike other ‘free TV’ apps, it also plays a wide variety of episodes and not just the same few.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’m sure you all know but the free app, Pluto TV has a dedicated channel for MST3K, a separate one for Rifftrax, and a Shout! Channel that will frequently play MST3K

Unlike other ‘free TV’ apps, it also plays a wide variety of episodes and not just the same few.

The THC channel on there (it's number 420 lmao XD ) also frequently shows episodes.

Just be careful of the Rifftrax channel because they also show "Rifftrax Presents" episodes and I have never seen a single funny one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

precision posted:

Just be careful of the Rifftrax channel because they also show "Rifftrax Presents" episodes and I have never seen a single funny one of those.
The Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl episodes are very funny. The rest of Rifftrax Presents is hot garbage.