Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
The food in the Philippines was definitely garbage by SE Asia standards but it was also easy enough to go to a fish market, pick out some massive crabs/prawns/lobster and have them throw it in a curry or some garlic or whatever. And the scenery, especially in Palawan, was worth tolerating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I fly into KL at 7am and out at 8pm on a Monday

I really don't like having to rush for flights so I was thinking of playing it safe, considering that if KL has a rush hour (and why wouldn't it) it'd be right around those hours

As such, my plan is
Land 7am with only hand luggage, get on the airport train around 8am, get into KL around 9am.
Food of some sort.
Petronas towers
Lunch of some description
An afternoon thing (?)
Early Dinner or tea or something. I like to eat when I travel.
Board airport train back around 5:30pm at the latest
Arrive airport around 6:30pm at the latest
Leave 8pm

Any suggestions on the food items, afternoon item, or the plan as a whole?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Constellation I posted:

I think you're really mindfucking yourself with the decision process on this trip. This shouldn't even be on your mind at all.

Bardeh posted:

lmao, Malaysia has prostitution too dude. Georgetown in Penang had some particularly brazen ones when I was last there. You're really weird, and your thinking about your holiday is really weird. Just choose a place to go, enjoy it, and who the gently caress cares what the locals or anyone else thinks (protip: absolutely nothing because there are pudgy white dudes everywhere you go in the world)
I told 10 co-workers and friends that I was considering Vietnam, Malaysia or Thailand. The response from all 10 was "Wow, you're thinking about Thailand? Yeah, I know why. Gross, dude."

You can say whatever you want but the place has a reputation.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

What's worse, Chester's or Jollibee?
Ooh, good question. Chester's is truly awful. I saw a delivery driver peel out of one the other day and I was like, "I bet that's the last remaining Chester's delivery guy."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

kuddles posted:

I told 10 co-workers and friends that I was considering Vietnam, Malaysia or Thailand. The response from all 10 was "Wow, you're thinking about Thailand? Yeah, I know why. Gross, dude."

You can say whatever you want but the place has a reputation.

Man, if 10 different people think that you specifically would be heading to Thailand for hookers or ladyboys or ping-pong shows or whatever, maybe it's not Thailand that has that reputation...?

simplefish posted:

I fly into KL at 7am and out at 8pm on a Monday

I really don't like having to rush for flights so I was thinking of playing it safe, considering that if KL has a rush hour (and why wouldn't it) it'd be right around those hours

As such, my plan is
Land 7am with only hand luggage, get on the airport train around 8am, get into KL around 9am.
Food of some sort.
Petronas towers
Lunch of some description
An afternoon thing (?)
Early Dinner or tea or something. I like to eat when I travel.
Board airport train back around 5:30pm at the latest
Arrive airport around 6:30pm at the latest
Leave 8pm

Any suggestions on the food items, afternoon item, or the plan as a whole?

Maybe check out the Chinatown and Petaling Street areas? Bukit Bintang area is the most happening spot though most of it doesn't kick off until the evening. Merdeka Square is maybe worth a look, as well as the old King George station. I've heard good things about the Islamic Art museum too if you're into that, though be aware that Islamic law forbids idolatry, so the artwork is almost entirely patterns and so on.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Not to pile on but that is a bad sign that so many people think that’s your goal. Maybe it’s good in a way so you can look at yourself and see why you give off that vibe.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A lot of Americans are pretty stupid and ignorant about everything outside our borders. I would not be surprised if those 10 friends and coworkers have literally no knowledge of Thailand outside ladyboys and hookers. And pad thai.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea could be they are just some shitbirds from Tuscaloosa

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A lot of Americans are pretty stupid and ignorant about everything outside our borders. I would not be surprised if those 10 friends and coworkers have literally no knowledge of Thailand outside ladyboys and hookers. And pad thai.

This but pad thai made with ketchup in a chinese takeout container.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's also the most common stereotype everywhere. I mean of course they're going to make a joke about it and, yeah, it's not like that's not A Thing in Asia in general and especially in Thailand. Doesn't mean you poo poo on the entire country over it. I was recently in Japan and I was shocked by how out-in-the-open it was in certain parts of the cities there too. Amazingly, 99.99% of what I saw in Japan did not involve this topic.

If people talk poo poo then you talk poo poo back. I mean it's like saying, "I would never hang out with [minority group] because I'm worried my friends would assume that I also [stereotype about minority group]!" It's not that difficult to deal with and, generally speaking, once they see some photos and videos of your cliff diving or whatever they'll be interested to find out about the many non-sex-tourism things going on here.

You wouldn't not-visit Florida just because everyone there is carjacking mothers and babies in El Caminos at gunpoint on bath salts and then eating them, would you?!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 1, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A lot of Americans/ people not worldly also mix up Thailand and Taiwan.

If critics can name 5 Thai cities and can give you a different reason besides “sketchy sex tourism” then maybe you can consider their opinion.

Holy poo poo no amount of traveling will fix your world view, you are as bad as the tourists who need to eat McDonald’s everyday

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The best response I got back when I mentioned to people that I was going to move to Thailand wasn’t the jokes about prostitution or David Carradine, it was this girl around my age I had only just met at a party who gave me, as far as I could tell, 100% earnest and bright-eyed encouragement to go out and get all tangled up with some ladyboys. She just wanted me to expand my horizons. :)

Other than that yeah if people you know think you’re that guy from the SNL Rosetta Stone sketch then by all means skip Thailand but if you’re a white dude then people will offer you sex for money pretty much anywhere in Asia.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Confession: I've never eaten at Chester's.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Holy poo poo no amount of traveling will fix your world view, you are as bad as the tourists who need to eat McDonald’s everyday

Didn't you literally take cup noodles to Europe for workmates, etc?

:thunk:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

kru posted:

Didn't you literally take cup noodles to Europe for workmates, etc?

:thunk:

:suicide:

My workmates are great workers but have horrible taste. Their idea of fun is chain smoking on the bed and clearing all the work emails. I do feel bad for them when they need to travel for work because they never wanted to leave their families in the first place

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
lolol Asian travel packing is another topic altogether.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Foods beyond imagining, outlander

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/best-thai-coconut-milk-bbq-chicken/

raton fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 2, 2018

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Why can't all random grilled street chicken in Thailand be this good? Because even if they're serving those rubbery rear end parts, the thrice grilling has gotta crisp that up a bit. Right?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just had chicken butt yakitori the other day, man it was super good and juicy. Wasn't rubbery at all!

Thanks for the link, I do want to go back to Southern Thailand sometime

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

webmeister posted:

Maybe check out the Chinatown and Petaling Street areas? Bukit Bintang area is the most happening spot though most of it doesn't kick off until the evening. Merdeka Square is maybe worth a look, as well as the old King George station. I've heard good things about the Islamic Art museum too if you're into that, though be aware that Islamic law forbids idolatry, so the artwork is almost entirely patterns and so on.

Cheers for the tips. I'll look at museums as a back-up, but I'll definitely aim to head into Chinatown.

I know with just one day I won't get a very complete picture but I plan to return for longer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Coming from HK I would skip China town and check out the national Mosque. The Twin towers is okayish. There's Batu caves but it might be kinda far

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Batu Caves are good though, and easy to get to (there’s a stop for them on the train line). We skipped Chinatown for similar reasons to Cabe, but if you don’t live in a culturally Chinese city already then by all means go check it out I guess.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

holy poo poo this is so close to me, time for some chicken this weekend

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That goes look quite good. On the map!

If you're ever in Phuket Town, there's a unique family set of restaurants that serve (I forget the name) a sort of fusion khao mok gai - chicken biryani - that uses grilled chicken slathered in this spicy peanutty oily sauce (no, not the satay sauce) and it's ridiculous. They're right around Bangkok Hospital Phuket on the West end of Phuket Town. I've taken various Thai friends and family there and they're blown away too. Always end up bringing back bags of sauce, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Used to eat this all the time when I lived in Hat Yai and can confirm that it's fuckin amazing. Also the fried chicken they do down south that's red and really crispy with deep fried shallots is the best in Thailand by far.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

rubbery rear end parts

I bought these once thinking they were like little chicken nuggets or something and then it was a whole skewer of chicken butt and I was so disappointed (but my wife ate them and called me a weirdo for not liking them)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bardeh posted:

Used to eat this all the time when I lived in Hat Yai and can confirm that it's fuckin amazing.

I took a road trip out there and it was sold out/closed at like 11am

Bardeh posted:

Also the fried chicken they do down south that's red and really crispy with deep fried shallots is the best in Thailand by far.

I eat this basically daily. the muslim family down the street sells it, but they don't open until like 430-530.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ladron posted:

I took a road trip out there and it was sold out/closed at like 11am

Are you in Nakhon? We probably know some of the same people

E: and I never went to that specific shop in Nakhon Sri Thammarat I just ate it all the time in Hat Yai. I missed it when I went north, I guess you need to be Muslim to make awesome chicken cos it sure as poo poo was never as good up there :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 5, 2018

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bardeh posted:

Are you in Nakhon? We probably know some of the same people

E: and I never went to that specific shop in Nakhon Sri Thammarat I just ate it all the time in Hat Yai. I missed it when I went north, I guess you need to be Muslim to make awesome chicken cos it sure as poo poo was never as good up there :(

I'm in Nakhon, but I doubt we know the same people, I don't drink, so I am not really hanging out. I met a dutch guy named Jan who is a loving rear end in a top hat, tho.

I think the Muslims in Thailand do chicken so well cuz they don't really have any other form of protein to eat. I mean they can't do pork, no one in Thailand eats cows, so they got you know however many hundreds of years to perfect chicken.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

lolol Asian travel packing is another topic altogether.

Don't forget the prahok na.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ladron posted:

I'm in Nakhon, but I doubt we know the same people, I don't drink, so I am not really hanging out. I met a dutch guy named Jan who is a loving rear end in a top hat, tho.

I think the Muslims in Thailand do chicken so well cuz they don't really have any other form of protein to eat. I mean they can't do pork, no one in Thailand eats cows, so they got you know however many hundreds of years to perfect chicken.

There’s also fish

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And plankton from the sea

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

And plankton from the sea

I'm really hoping this is a Logan's Run reference

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Too bad lamb is not a thing in Thailand. You would think being so close to Malaysia and making good curries they would have lamb. Or some Thai version of beef rendang

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ladron posted:

I'm really hoping this is a Logan's Run reference

It was!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Too bad lamb is not a thing in Thailand. You would think being so close to Malaysia and making good curries they would have lamb. Or some Thai version of beef rendang
We have plenty of lamb, but it's all very high end for import stuff, so, yeah, not really part of local cuisine. The only exception is Thai-Muslim food, which has mutton biryani and so on, but it's derived from what they call Malayu food, which (shock) is Malay Muslim food and like everything else here heavily fusionised. So when you have great Muslim fried chicken in Thailand, it's better in Malaysia. When you have great mee hookien in Southern Thailand, it's better in Malaysia. Singapore too, probably.

The Chinese cultures here integrated much better for a host of reasons beyond the scope of food talk or my understanding, but the flipside of that was they surrendered their distinctiveness to the fusion of Thai cuisine that makes it what it is. It's interesting, too, because Southern Thailand is considerably more harmoniously segregated than the rest of Thailand and while the ethnic Chinese and Muslim(ish) cuisines there have maintained a much stronger relationship to their historical precedents, they're still much more "Thai" than the Malay counterparts. Southern Thai people make outright fun of the Central Thai versions of what Malays call (I think) char siew (khao moo daeng) for being a nightmare of syrupy sweet sauce, and ethnic Chinese Malaysians make outright fun of all of them (rightfully) for being watered down - probably there's some Hokkien or Teow Chew region of China making outright fun of them as well, heh.

Food culture of anything that isn't just "Thai" here has developed by leaps and bounds in the last five years, but, amazingly, you still can't even buy mee hokkien in Bangkok with maybe 1-2 poor exceptions, for example, and that is loving nuts when you can go anywhere in Southern Thailand and it's as ubiquitous as ba mee moo daeng. It would be like New York having only 1-2 lovely Tex-Mex or BBQ places when it has probably hundreds.

On the plus side, we have way better pork here (but shittier beef, lamb and noodles).

EDIT: Yes, it's mee hokkien here, not hokkien mee.

EDIT EDIT: Mee hokkien is fantastic and, while pedestrian, should be available and eaten everywhere. What a great dish. The Central Thai derivation is phad siew, which is a nonsensical mush of gooey garbage. It's difficult to understand how hosed up some of the Chinese fusion cuisines got in a city heavily populated with and, in many cases, run by first and second generation ethnic Chinese. I can't imagine burgers or pizza degrading into something so bizarrely different in two generations of American immigrants, for example, but who knows. It would be like, no joke, a burger served by second gen Americans becoming a slice of grilled pork in a sweet Chinese bun on cabbage with cucumbers and chili sauce or something - the deviation of Thai-Chinese fusion cuisine is that different from the original.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 5, 2018

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In closing, phad siew is garbage food. Do not eat it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Like most food, it really depends on the chef making it.

Hokkien mee can also get too greasy and wet. Phad siew is like the Cantonese version and can taste really good if the chef doesn't go overboard with the sauce and keeps the flat noodles light. Like bread, the kind of rice flour is also quite important and affects the flavour. I think with the hotter climate and abundance of spices, South East Asian dishes to go heavier on the cilantro and savoury. Soy sauce don't taste as good though, guess that's why they just slather fish sauce all the time :downsrim:

I don't know how Bee Hoon is made but you can't go wrong with Bee Hoon!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, what about lard na? I was inebriated and got that confused with phad siew. Phad siew is okay, but forgettable, it's lard na that's garbage food, heh. Is that straight out of a Chinese local cuisine or a fusion deal?

I haven't had bee hoon I don't think. I feel like Thai noodle culture is one of the weaker points. Like tons of noodles, most of them not particularly notable. I don't know the Chinese or Vietnamese name, but the lot chaa in Cambodia are one of my favorites - the short little rat tail noodles.

Every country I go if there are Subcontinent folks or Filipinos in the kitchen there's those lovely Singapore Noodles, which cracks me up. Like how did Singapore become synonymous with crappy noodles and some lovely vegetable mix stir fried in ketchup? I'm sure that's not the actual original dish, but everywhere I've seen it in like Dubai or Bangkok it's hilariously awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ReindeerF posted:

In closing, phad siew is garbage food. Do not eat it.
Do you mean what's usually written Pad See Ew? If so, screw you buddy, that's a great dish! Just made it myself at home the other day.

Some people find it soy heavy, but I like it, and there are delightfully few ingredients. Just gotta make the noodle firmness right.