Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

basically the premise of an anime:

If those are stink lines that's basically how I ride a bike too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Not so much OSHA as "stupid driver" BUT....

https://gfycat.com/TiredUnacceptableHartebeest

(it's too big and will break the table, just click the link)

(EDIT: Fixed, lag of regulation enforcement for public safety caused me to make the error)

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 1, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I've seen this in a bunch of places overseas and can't really see the advantage to stop lights that turn yellow prior to turning green since they're basically used as a signal to gun the engine 90% of the time.

Is it just a holdover from an older standard that required switching Green->Yellow->Red and Red->Yellow->Green for mechanical reasons that was kept around because "that's what everyone knows"?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The_end posted:

I hate when people ride their bikes on the road i pay a license fee to use.

:golfclap:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Malek posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/TiredUnacceptableHartebeest

code:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>BB6278501D4351BD</RequestId>
<HostId>
CAwb1ZayXNQp+oqOipBBknAzyQVInbh+8im2QIy6PuDbGDd5vOpTai7ve5TZ7g7/2O0nwjBckE4=
</HostId>
</Error>
Is this really OSHA?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Malek posted:

https://gfycat.com/TiredUnacceptableHartebeest

Fixed

The_end
May 17, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I pay taxes too you gently caress face.

Get a license for your toy you insist on playing with on the roads.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I've seen this in a bunch of places overseas and can't really see the advantage to stop lights that turn yellow prior to turning green since they're basically used as a signal to gun the engine 90% of the time.

Is it just a holdover from an older standard that required switching Green->Yellow->Red and Red->Yellow->Green for mechanical reasons that was kept around because "that's what everyone knows"?

I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with manual transmissions being more popular in non USA places. The extra yellow gives them a warning to get in gear before the green hits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In civilized countries drivers slow down at the yellow. Some also use a short (<1s) red+yellow setting between red and green so people can put their car in gear or start pedaling before green lights up. It’s rad.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

it's a good way to give people a warning so they can slow down more smoothly instead of hammering the brake because it just suddenly turned red.
It's also a good way to tell people it's time to put the pedal on the metal because you're about to be stopped by a red light get the gently caress going now

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Halser posted:

it's a good way to give people a warning so they can slow down more smoothly instead of hammering the brake because it just suddenly turned red.
It's also a good way to tell people it's time to put the pedal on the metal because you're about to be stopped by a red light get the gently caress going now

Some countries have a yellow light before turning green. Nobody is baffled about why the light turns yellow before a red.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Weembles posted:

Some countries have a yellow light before turning green. Nobody is baffled about why the light turns yellow before a red.

With the new shutdown/restart engines being a thing I can see these relics make sense again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

so people can put their car in gear

Why would your car be out of gear?

I mean, I can see it at a long RR crossing or something, but do people really just put it in N at a red light?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I see people do that in automatics.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Why would your car be out of gear?

I mean, I can see it at a long RR crossing or something, but do people really just put it in N at a red light?
Race clutch to hold back our wild rear end euro inline 4’s.
Real answer: it’s loving annoying to hold the clutch regardless of weight.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shoes didn't come off, good job with the shoelaces.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Shoes didn't come off, good job with the shoelaces.

Wheel did though. RIP bike.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile, across from my parent's house...

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/burnside-blaze-100-homes-evacuated-overnight

Record high temperatures and high winds aren't a good combination when it comes to fire.
Fortunately, it's raining now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's what you get for naming an area Burnside.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ah, LOGS. I thought those were stacks of tires at first. That would have unleashed one hell of a stink.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Weembles posted:

Are there places with three light traffic lights that don’t go red - red + amber - green - amber - red? Because if you have an amber light you need to have some way of differentiating amber before red and amber before green.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are there places with three light traffic lights that don’t go red - red + amber - green - amber - red? Because if you have an amber light you need to have some way of differentiating amber before red and amber before green.

In the US a yellow always means it's about to turn red. Very simple and sensible.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

wtf is this simon says bullshit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FCKGW posted:

wtf is this simon says bullshit

euros need to be notified that a red light is about to turn green like you can't just look to the lights on the cross road and see what status they're in i guess

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

euros need to be notified that a red light is about to turn green like you can't just look to the lights on the cross road and see what status they're in i guess

must be all the inbreeding

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Vancouver, BC: Lights go Green -> Yellow -> Red -> Green -> repeat. What the gently caress kind of light show are you getting.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I drove for 3 months across North America, I obviously wasn’t paying too much attention to what your traffic lights were doing. Red + yellow makes sense when most people have manual gearboxes I guess.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Why do you need yellow again before going back to green?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

boner confessor posted:

England traffic lights do that. I'm okay with it. It skips some of the stupid bullshit we have here where the light turns green and it takes the first idiot half a second to realize it and start moving, and then the second idiot a half second to realize that the first idiot has moved and now he can, and repeat for every idiot waiting at the light.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Arrhythmia posted:

Vancouver, BC: Lights go Green -> Yellow -> Red -> Green -> repeat. What the gently caress kind of light show are you getting.

Mac 2000-based stoplights. Turn every stop into a show.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

England traffic lights do that. I'm okay with it. It skips some of the stupid bullshit we have here where the light turns green and it takes the first idiot half a second to realize it and start moving, and then the second idiot a half second to realize that the first idiot has moved and now he can, and repeat for every idiot waiting at the light.

it would be pointless in the us regardless since everyone is staring at their phones when waiting at red lights

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

That's what you get for naming an area Burnside.

Now it's raining heavily and starting to flood.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/aoIutle.mp4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What got gonked, the oil pan or the actual engine block?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So that's how those things stay lubricated.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Interesting Vox video on danger symbols:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOEqzt36JEM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Volcott posted:

What got gonked, the oil pan or the actual engine block?

Probably the pan, could be a cast aluminium thing that cracks easily.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

In civilized countries drivers slow down at the yellow.

What my driving instructor taught me was 'if you can safely stop, do that. If the fastest safe stop would put you over the line, then proceed though.'
This way you don't have to judge how much time is left on yellow. It's irrelevant.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

evil_bunnY posted:

In civilized countries drivers slow down at the yellow.

So what your saying is there isn't anywhere where anyone slows down for a yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

Unlike True American Hero Robert Landsberg, who used his last living moments to advance science.

It's a god damned shame more people don't know who he is.