Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm afraid to make a base or seamoth bc I'm afraid it'll make the game lose it's magic.

I like being a terrified dude in a vast alien ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Phi230 posted:

I'm afraid to make a base or seamoth bc I'm afraid it'll make the game lose it's magic.

I like being a terrified dude in a vast alien ocean

At least make a corridor to store all your poo poo.

That aside, how are you planning on ever exploring the depths? Building hella long pipes?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Seamoth owns

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pokie posted:

At least make a corridor to store all your poo poo.

That aside, how are you planning on ever exploring the depths? Building hella long pipes?

I used 30+ pipes to get into the jellyfish cave

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I took the seamoth into the jellyshroom cave and pushed my luck, depth wise and it exploded. :sigh:

Need the depth mods!

Also my lifepod landed near a geothermal vent (I had built a massive base near there in an early access playthru) but for the life of me I can’t find any beacons to scan. Thankfully there is a geometry glitch that causes my base to show up at reeeeeeally far distances so I don’t get too lost :haw:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Having a base doesnt take away from anything, and if you build it above water then it double doesnt take away from the feeling of exploring the depths.

Its really just a big old storage container to dump your stuff in that is more convenient than the lifepod.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

priznat posted:

I took the seamoth into the jellyshroom cave and pushed my luck, depth wise and it exploded. :sigh:

I did the same but leapfrogged from high spot to high spot in the cavern cieling, jumping out to repair the crush damage. Managed to get to the base that way. Maybe not terribly smart, but it worked and was very exciting

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Giant Isopod posted:

I did the same but leapfrogged from high spot to high spot in the cavern cieling, jumping out to repair the crush damage. Managed to get to the base that way. Maybe not terribly smart, but it worked and was very exciting

I was doing that and decided to risk it and welp, heh.

Seamoth isn’t too bad to gather materials for at least.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
I dunno if the seamoth EMP was a thing when I last played mid-2016 but it's nice being able to make sharks go away while I scoot around wrecks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
PSA: Attempting to rename your beacons in VR does not work, and will kill you. Avoid at all costs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I got a shitload of ruby but now I need lithium. at least that’s easy to farm. Now I’m looking for the 500m Degasi seabase. I wander into these caves with twisted knot things stretched across them with red blisters on, and I can see the seabase is near but there’s always rock between me and it. Getting real frustrating. At least my sea moth is rated for 900m now so I can putter around in it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm stocking up my first outpost and I'm about done with medical and water. Do cured fish last forever or just a very long time?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm stocking up my first outpost and I'm about done with medical and water. Do cured fish last forever or just a very long time?

Cured fish lasts forever. As do live fish! It's only cooked fish that rots. It's one of the nicer details about the game.

Also, once you get alien containment tanks. Start shoving spare live fish into a locker every so often. It can save you some potential headaches.

GlyphGryph posted:

PSA: Attempting to rename your beacons in VR does not work, and will kill you. Avoid at all costs.
:psyduck:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 1, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gel sacks are also edible non-perishable foods. If you're going on an expedition shove a handful in an inventory; they're light enough you just snack on them to make room for loot. By the time you figure out where you are going/doing, you can probably use a top off.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I went and built a base near the tree cove and thought, "I'll try the water purification machine again, it can't possibly use that much power these days".

...my thermal plant wasn't up to the task so I had to build a nuclear reactor. To make water!! I don't even need the water since I have infinite Bulbo plants.

Why? I need a nuclear reactor to purify water? That makes less sense than the existence of aliens and reaper leviathans to me.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I got a shitload of ruby but now I need lithium. at least that’s easy to farm. Now I’m looking for the 500m Degasi seabase.

What’s your secret? I’m constantly hand to mouth for lithium and it’s stopping me from doing deep water construction.

Good luck at Degasi II. I went there with an unmodified Prawn and getting out again was... challenging. Very cool site though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vasler posted:

I went and built a base near the tree cove and thought, "I'll try the water purification machine again, it can't possibly use that much power these days".

...my thermal plant wasn't up to the task so I had to build a nuclear reactor. To make water!! I don't even need the water since I have infinite Bulbo plants.

Why? I need a nuclear reactor to purify water? That makes less sense than the existence of aliens and reaper leviathans to me.

Water purifiers are a luxury. It's pretty trivial to make a shitload of disinfected water with Salt + Coral Tubes. It's not like you need Salt for anything else except maybe curing food, and if you have food/water turned off its basically useless.

Also I'm glad the fabricator doesn't take a shitload of mid-game resources to construct anymore.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So before you get mobility upgrades on the prawn, where is a good magnetite mining spot? My base is right next to Jellyshroom caves, but I am not sure a suit can get out of there... Should I just consign it to mining that cave until I can upgrade it?

Also, omg, treaders are so cute.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

curious posted:

What’s your secret? I’m constantly hand to mouth for lithium and it’s stopping me from doing deep water construction.

Good luck at Degasi II. I went there with an unmodified Prawn and getting out again was... challenging. Very cool site though.

I find it’s common on the gun turret island both on the slopes (deep, and beware of warpers) and in the cave system above ground. Also there’s a warp portal in that cave that leads to the floating island and the caves on the floating island side I think have lithium too, though that could be a false memory.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Magus42 posted:

The waypoint to the 500m degasi base is in the 250m one in Jellyshroom caves. If you miss that PDA though, no waypoint.
I just double-checked this and unless it's in a PDA somewhere else in the cave, no dice. It's not attached to any of the PDAs (2? 3?) you get inside the base.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I just double-checked this and unless it's in a PDA somewhere else in the cave, no dice. It's not attached to any of the PDAs (2? 3?) you get inside the base.

I think you’re looking for “Degasi Voice Log #6 - Deeper?!”, and I’m almost certain that it’s at Degasi Seabase I in the Jellyshroom Cave. Did you check both floors? I seem to recall it had an upstairs.

edit: wait, did you say you already have that one? Dumb question from me, but are you sure you don’t have the waypoint, but have it toggled off on the beacon screen?

curious fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2018

curious
Mar 14, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I find it’s common on the gun turret island both on the slopes (deep, and beware of warpers) and in the cave system above ground. Also there’s a warp portal in that cave that leads to the floating island and the caves on the floating island side I think have lithium too, though that could be a false memory.

Thanks for this - I might try and drop a sensor room onsite and see what I can turn up.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

curious posted:

Thanks for this - I might try and drop a sensor room onsite and see what I can turn up.

No need for a scanner room - the aboveground caves on the Mountain Island (the one with the huge gun platform) has enough Lithium and Magnetite just lying around to fill your inventory several times over. I went there twice and I still haven't run out, and I'm nearing the end of the game by now.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Jellyshroom cave has a ton but without grappling arm I'm not sure you can get the Prawn out of there.
Prawn feel completely useless without upgrades...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I got a shitload of ruby but now I need lithium. at least that’s easy to farm. Now I’m looking for the 500m Degasi seabase. I wander into these caves with twisted knot things stretched across them with red blisters on, and I can see the seabase is near but there’s always rock between me and it. Getting real frustrating. At least my sea moth is rated for 900m now so I can putter around in it.

might want to build a scanner room nearby a thermal vent so you can get a map of the area

Bhodi posted:

it's definitely in there, check the corridor in front that's broken off the base and is half-submerged in sand.

edit: it's in the locker/behind the locker door, in the first room

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 1, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Megazver posted:

I am currently trying to shove my Cyclops through the Reef entrance to get it into the River and boy oh boy is this a pain in the rear end.

There's a Blood Kelp zone in the west with a hole big enough to comfortably get a cyclops down, and you can drive it all the way to the lava zone and disease research facility (where my savegame is stuck until I find a fix for the crashes, rip.) I calculated the hole is about 1200m west, 300m south of my lifepod using a second beacon as a reference. I don't think the lifepod is necessarily in the same place every game, but the trench is big enough that it shouldn't be that difficult to find.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm trying to build a base near pod 2 for comfy lost river etc access and I can't find a fuckin thermal vent anywhere

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How do I install upgrades into the Seamoth?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

When it's docked in the moonpool a panel with four sockets will open up on its left side, looks similar to the upgrade panel in the scanner room. Just click on that to access the upgrade slots.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's a panel with slots on one of the sides to use.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

When it's docked in the moonpool
gently caress, I was afraid I needed a new facility. I still haven't even found the second half of the battery charger yet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
You don't need the Moonpool to INSTALL upgrades, but you do need it to build them. To open the upgrade hatch on the Seamoth just swim to the side of it and open the hatch on one of the "wings".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

There's a Blood Kelp zone in the west with a hole big enough to comfortably get a cyclops down, and you can drive it all the way to the lava zone and disease research facility (where my savegame is stuck until I find a fix for the crashes, rip.) I calculated the hole is about 1200m west, 300m south of my lifepod using a second beacon as a reference. I don't think the lifepod is necessarily in the same place every game, but the trench is big enough that it shouldn't be that difficult to find.
BTW, I'm pretty sure they intended you to use this one or another one near lifepod 2 (unlocked from building thermal plant or entering grand reef) which is right at the entrance to a giant, cyclops-friendly sized hole.

Sorry about not responding to the fix message, this is what you're looking for: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146898/made-a-tool-to-clean-cache-crash

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 1, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

curious posted:

I think you’re looking for “Degasi Voice Log #6 - Deeper?!”, and I’m almost certain that it’s at Degasi Seabase I in the Jellyshroom Cave. Did you check both floors? I seem to recall it had an upstairs.

edit: wait, did you say you already have that one? Dumb question from me, but are you sure you don’t have the waypoint, but have it toggled off on the beacon screen?
e: nvm, I went again and found it in the locker like the above suggested, but because of the door you have to go basically behind the filter and look backwards to see it. It's quite easy to miss for such a plot point! It's attached to Chief Officer's Log #2

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 1, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dongattack posted:

You don't need the Moonpool to INSTALL upgrades, but you do need it to build them. To open the upgrade hatch on the Seamoth just swim to the side of it and open the hatch on one of the "wings".

Ooooh, okay, cool. Not being able to find any moonpool blueprints killed my last playthrough so I was worried I was going to have to spend a lot of time scouring for wrecks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Giant Isopod posted:

Surely you could just walk to the bottom?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bhodi posted:

It's in the locker in the main room of the 250m base.

Paul Torgal's Log #2 - Dilemma

curious posted:

It doesn't come from Deeper, it comes from Dilemma.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Krogort posted:

Jellyshroom cave has a ton but without grappling arm I'm not sure you can get the Prawn out of there.
Prawn feel completely useless without upgrades...

Field report - unupgraded prawn can get out pretty easily. Just jump on mushrooms and then slightly jutting out cave sections.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Some kinda special music should kick in when you finally snap and grapple onto some annoying little poo poo and continuously drill it in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Ah, didn't know you could get into that hatch if it wasn't docked. Cool!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ooooh, okay, cool. Not being able to find any moonpool blueprints killed my last playthrough so I was worried I was going to have to spend a lot of time scouring for wrecks.

I've heard fragments are more random now than they used to be, but if it's any help, I found all my moonpool fragments easy in the Sparse Reef wreckage.