Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Something Cawful*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Doggir posted:

Something Cawful*

The only way to fly

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Blackdog420 posted:

So I have a guild name that I can register and I might make a ~goon~ guild. I might be that guy. For this game.

The goon leader has the $10k castle requirement, sorry.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

forge posted:

The goon leader has the $10k castle requirement, sorry.

We will have numerous castles because they let you convert VIP tickets into cash shop currency and I turned a year or two of VIP into a castle for goons to live and learn and love in

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
poo poo, I'm turning my VIP tickets into cash. I got like six years worth, no way this game lasts that long anyways.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

malhavok posted:

poo poo, I'm turning my VIP tickets into cash. I got like six years worth, no way this game lasts that long anyways.

How did you get that much?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
From the 215 buck KS pack. Also have some type of castle and a collectors edition box i plan to sell as well. Lotta other poo poo too that i haven't really kept track off. At this point with the game likely being a real game at some point it looks like a good investment.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
just posting here to update everyone on my crowfall investment: looks like the wow jones moved down a little friday so monday's looking really bullish. thinkin crowfall is gonna soar 20 or even 30 points! :getin:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

just posting here to update everyone on my crowfall investment: looks like the wow jones moved down a little friday so monday's looking really bullish. thinkin crowfall is gonna soar 20 or even 30 points! :getin:

How did you not go with crow jones?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Freakazoid_ posted:

When I played shadowbane during the free to play thing, it was only grindy if you didn't have any friends to powerlevel you.

The people powerlevelling you are grinding though - they're flying above certain camps in certain zones killing mobs.
So of course I'd go there and kill the people doing it.

That's what I mean.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

The people powerlevelling you are grinding though - they're flying above certain camps in certain zones killing mobs.
So of course I'd go there and kill the people doing it.

That's what I mean.

The people powerleveling me were usually asleep, and so was I.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

malhavok posted:

The people powerleveling me were usually asleep, and so was I.

And they all died after two minutes so nobody got levelled.
So then they place guards! Or people come to defend the one person who isn't asleep.

Or loads of other things that lead to combat.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is this playable yet?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
5.3 tests were expanded to a small wave of Alpha 1 players today. It sounds like it's a lot less hosed up than the 5.2 release so it'll probably be live for most people in a week or two. As far as whether that counts as "playable", YMMV. The win conditions are kinda jacked up- forts are supposed to be really easy to take and they account for the bulk of the score, and points don't accumulate, so nothing you do really matters. Thralls, advanced crafting stations, and other amenities aren't in the game yet either, so the economy isn't really up yet. Those things will be rolled in as they approach the 5.4 release I believe.

That said, 5.3 includes what ought to be the final version of skills (lol), harvesting, character creation & customization, and probably the combat flow. Campaign flow is "supposed" to be done, but I suspect it's gonna get an overhaul bc it's not really working.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
5.3 update: It's live up to some beta 1 users so I'd log in & see if you can play. It's still in the TEST env because of a bunch of jank being worked out (especially with the new training system & time bank), but people are using the new gathering system, playing weird race/class combos, and giving all of them bows bc LMB attacks with basic bows are insanely overpowered at the moment.

Things are more or less coming together and they're back down to a weekly release cadence. The last few releases have been really tiny bugfix releases though. In "hey aren't they about to run out of money" news, they got a new investment round of $6m from their mysterious money men which is expected to take them to something commercial in 2018.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Looks like the meager releases have been bc they're working on this: https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/crafting-stations-and-recipes/

5.3 will also be on live soon according to pann

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What's the plan with the guild?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
- 5.3 is now on LIVE. TEST has gone internal until more fixes are made to 5.4.
- Full wipe including skills
- Time bank is in but premium is not, which means only one skill from each sphere in training, and skills will come to a stop unless you log in daily
- I'm order :V

I'm down to play whenever others are around. It is probably time to kill mans. I'm in the discord.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

- 5.3 is now on LIVE. TEST has gone internal until more fixes are made to 5.4.
- Full wipe including skills
- Time bank is in but premium is not, which means only one skill from each sphere in training, and skills will come to a stop unless you log in daily
- I'm order :V

I'm down to play whenever others are around. It is probably time to kill mans. I'm in the discord.

How is the actual playing experience? Last time I logged in everything was janky as gently caress. Its not a dig at the game at all, its still in alpha but it is just something I personally can't stand.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's less janky but still janky. In particular, the duelist has only gotten worse. The .4 version is in internal testing now and will overhaul input and audio tech, improving the feel of the game a lot.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Do they have a soft launch date set yet?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

Do they have a soft launch date set yet?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

what's the current play availability like with the starter packs? is there a persistent test server to play on? weekly alpha events? how close are we to beta?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Suxpool posted:

what's the current play availability like with the starter packs? is there a persistent test server to play on? weekly alpha events? how close are we to beta?

If you pay in, you can play on LIVE 24/7 if you can find someone to play with. TEST is active with everyone up through Alpha 2, though, and that's up on and off. If you buy in, you're buying into Beta 3. LIVE is 5.3 which is a kind of mine/craft/murder simulator with meaningless objectives to fight over for no benefit. TEST is 5.4 which has crafting tables for you to craft high-tier items at in the objectives, the ability to level vessels for extra stats, an overhaul of armor stats, improvements of input, sound, level of detail, and skinning, and the assassin class.

They are apparently also testing the final world tech right now which is going to work like EVE where there's zones (a bit more than double the size of the 5.3 test world) connected with portals.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Are you saying that there is a live server now but it's usually empty? Not a great sign....

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It's a sign that this is not a "game" yet, but a testing environment. There aren't many people around because there is no game to play, not because the game isn't fun. You can login and harvest resources, craft things, pvp, build houses and poo poo or just do your skill training but without any point to any of it there is very little reason for people to play regularly. Its not a sign of anything besides that the game is pre alpha.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also anyone who's owned it for like a year or so have TEST access at this point

Orv
May 4, 2011

daslog posted:

Are you saying that there is a live server now but it's usually empty? Not a great sign....

The game, when you get down to it and get some small scale skirmishes going on, has gotten to a pretty good state where it's clear that it'll be fun and worth playing, when it's finished. It's just that people have been testing variously broken versions of the exact same thing for going on a year and a half now, ranging from fun but buggy to basically unplayable depending on the patch. Once there's actually a game there with some persistence and worthwhile incentives to do things, it'll pick up.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Chopping trees and failing at RNG crafting confirmed to work.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'm going to chop all the tree's one day.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
3 years later where the gently caress is my mmo or anything resembling it?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Did you seriously put 10k in it?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Biowarfare posted:

I cashed out long ago, like I wish I did with Shart Shitizen. At least I spent less on star citizen than this. I had huge hopes for this spiritual successor to shadowbane and now, honestly I can see this game going the way of mobile gachas quite easily. Sorry, goons. The temptation for devs to go that route is too strong, and once they get there there's no incentive to change back to the old ways.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Budgie posted:

I cashed out long ago, like I wish I did with Shart Shitizen. At least I spent less on star citizen than this. I had huge hopes for this spiritual successor to shadowbane and now, honestly I can see this game going the way of mobile gachas quite easily. Sorry, goons. The temptation for devs to go that route is too strong, and once they get there there's no incentive to change back to the old ways.

What.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

The game has steadily progressed on the prototype front consistently and even if I haven’t played and releases for months it is clear they are gearing up the core gameplay before hitting polish.

Dunno what people want beyond that, other than the fun of complaining.

The fact that there’s no gacha elements whatsoever and they’ve been pulling stuff out of the store makes me think... someone’s got their fibbing britches on today

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is gacha, are we trying to spell Gotcha? Im so confused :ohdear:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gachapon is what they call loot boxes and booster packs in Japan. A lot of popular Japanese phone games center around gacha/lootbox mechanics so they're called gachas

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yah but "feels like a mobile game" is also the new "clunky" where it's this content free thing you can say when you don't like something but haven't really thought about why

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Budgie posted:

i trust them, and I have four digits into this game (1/3 of it was in donations to the cancer society for a dude that died tho lmao) god help me

look into those eyes. this is a man who has suffered, and had to watch his perfect dream as an idealistic young game developer turn into a buggy dupe-filled mess that was still, somehow, beautiful and pure

this is a man who said gently caress it and built an absolutely excellent kids / card battler / collection mmo that is still running, and has it's own fuckin spinoff

Gordon would sell us mount skins out of gatchas though, but who loving cares. if that's what the market wants that's what the market gets

Capntastic posted:

What's the plan with the guild?

i know what my plan for the guild is, I made a low-effort guild recruitment post for a throwaway guild with a catchy name, and started recruiting pubbies for the $15 they'll pay me at soft launch. guild creation is $40 but it's already paid for itself despite only making like four forum posts and never logging in (okay I did actually log in for a bit and made a jumping puzzle in the guild EK, but I don't know if that's close enough to what we expect this "game" to be to be considered "playing the game")

Drakkus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Biowarfare posted:

crowfall is a metaphor, the crow is the mmo and it has fallen into obscurity