Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best part of the film is that it feels like you unwittingly started watching some really long and elaborate film series on at least the fifth film. It's probably what it feels like if someone with no familiarity with comics would start watching the MCU with Civil War.

That’s kind of the feeling I had when I was a kid. Never having watched Doctor Who but having seen neighbor kids watching it on public television and catching bits and pieces, I finally see buckaroo bonzai around the same time and I’m like is this the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack posted:

I bought it on Amazon and it was worth every penny to have it downloaded to all my devices. poo poo owns.

Hell I'm gonna go watch the final chase sequence right now

Yeah starting it up at the bit where Immortan Joe is playing with that weird sceptre and his War Rig powers past in the background is a good way to spend half an hour or so.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kramdar posted:

That’s kind of the feeling I had when I was a kid. Never having watched Doctor Who but having seen neighbor kids watching it on public television and catching bits and pieces, I finally see buckaroo bonzai around the same time and I’m like is this the same thing?

I´m working on a project that aims to achieve the exact same feeling. Like the main character has obviously had a dozen previous adventures and everyone knows who he is and people namedrop events and people like they're supposed to mean something to the audience without ever explaining any of them. Except instead of a doctor/surgeon/rockstar/scientist/crime-fighter romp my thing is an adaptation of a Icelandic saga told in the style of a El Santo monster movie except with traditional Icelandic wrestling taking the place of lucha libre.

I have some slight doubts it will get off the ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Psych did that kind of thing and it went a long way to making the main characters seem like old friends.

The previous adventures and people part. Not so much the wrestling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Memento posted:

Yeah starting it up at the bit where Immortan Joe is playing with that weird sceptre and his War Rig powers past in the background is a good way to spend half an hour or so.

I love how the doof warrior sleeps in his bungee strap hammock.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's actually a ton of backstory to Buckaroo Banzai that has never been been released, the screenwriter Earl Mac Rauch took years and years to finish the screenplay because he kept starting stories, getting them half finished and then abandoning them and starting over with a completely different story. Apparently by the time they started filming there was a 300 page book that was a collection of all the unfinished Buckaroo Banzai scripts.

mods change my name to John BigBootay

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FreudianSlippers posted:

I´m working on a project that aims to achieve the exact same feeling. Like the main character has obviously had a dozen previous adventures and everyone knows who he is and people namedrop events and people like they're supposed to mean something to the audience without ever explaining any of them. Except instead of a doctor/surgeon/rockstar/scientist/crime-fighter romp my thing is an adaptation of a Icelandic saga told in the style of a El Santo monster movie except with traditional Icelandic wrestling taking the place of lucha libre.

Hey so uh...

How do I sign up for your newsletter?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a pretty common thing these days. Most kids are growing up with franchises almost a century old or more now, they're used to having to catch up to things as they go, and even kids' cartoons nowadays often have experienced older characters who the kids don't know a lot about. (Gravity Falls and the new DuckTales come to mind as emphasising that. Same team behind them, incidentally. Steven Universe too, the crew joke it's the sequel to an unmade romantic comedy called No Need For Greg)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

It’s not necessarily the same thing, but the beginnings of Indiana Jones and James Bond movies own because you’re coming in on a previous adventure right at the good part.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s not necessarily the same thing, but the beginnings of Indiana Jones and James Bond movies own because you’re coming in on a previous adventure right at the good part.

Star Wars, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Isn’t that the premise of that Bill Cosby turd Leonard Part 6?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Aphrodite posted:

Psych did that kind of thing and it went a long way to making the main characters seem like old friends.

The previous adventures and people part. Not so much the wrestling.

Indiana Jones 4 and Star Wars Episodes II and III did the same thing and man did it fall flat.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sir, if you're not going to place an order you're going to have to leave

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Indiana Jones 4 and Star Wars Episodes II and III did the same thing and man did it fall flat.

Yeah it worked better when Star Wars Episode 4 did it back in '77 ("General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars." "You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!!") and Raiders of the Lost Arc did it back in '84 ("Dr. Jones. Again, we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.") etc etc

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Joss Whedon does that ALL THE TIME.
Sometimes it's totally fine. The nods to the war in Firefly were played well.

But then you'll get line in other media where the exchange is,

"Hey this is just like [other time]"
"Yeah but [other time] didn't have dinosaurs!"

Widow and Hawk have this exchange in Avengers and it always makes me roll my eyes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Reading interviews with the cast of the movie Airplane, Jonathan Banks of Breaking Bad was apparently an actor in it. So looking up his entry in IMDB, his first role is well...different.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it worked better when Star Wars Episode 4 did it back in '77 ("General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars." "You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!!") and Raiders of the Lost Arc did it back in '84 ("Dr. Jones. Again, we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.") etc etc

But we did see the part where Belloq took something away from Indy at the beginning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Reading interviews with the cast of the movie Airplane, Jonathan Banks of Breaking Bad was apparently an actor in it. So looking up his entry in IMDB, his first role is well...different.

John Oliver posted a portion of that video during one of his Last Week Tonight segments a few years ago. Banks's reaction is great, as is the film's implication that menstruation makes girls better at bowling.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Kramdar posted:

Check out The Venture Bros' episode "Escape from the House of Mummies Part 2." There wasn't a part one, and the entire episode is a continuing adventure that we never saw.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Oliver posted a portion of that video during one of his Last Week Tonight segments a few years ago. Banks's reaction is great, as is the film's implication that menstruation makes girls better at bowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa9Q6GvT-Qs

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Inzombiac posted:

Joss Whedon does that ALL THE TIME.
Sometimes it's totally fine. The nods to the war in Firefly were played well.

But then you'll get line in other media where the exchange is,

"Hey this is just like [other time]"
"Yeah but [other time] didn't have dinosaurs!"

Widow and Hawk have this exchange in Avengers and it always makes me roll my eyes.

"You look as tense as that time you fell into a nest of gundarks"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

plainswalker75 posted:

"You look as tense as that time you fell into a nest of gundarks"

"You owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time!"
"Ninth time. That business on Cato Nemoidia doesn't... doesn't count."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Milo Murphy's Law had a great twist on that trope with the Llama Incident, an event that Milo and his friend were present for (and constantly compare stuff to) but Zack wasn't - they eventually elaborated on it by telling him what happened, but then while the story was being told some chaos interrupts it that you see most of, and then when asked about it later Zack simply replies "Oh... you mean the Woodpecker Incident?" Zack is the audience surrogate - we are both in on the in joke this time.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Welcome to Nightvale did this one in a really literal way: http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/There_Is_No_Part_1:_Part_2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Check out The Venture Bros' episode "Escape from the House of Mummies Part 2." There wasn't a part one, and the entire episode is a continuing adventure that we never saw.

Not to mention the whole show is an implicit sequel to The Rusty Venture Show. (With Rusty being an erzatz Johnny Quest. Incidentally, Johnny Quest himself later known as 'Action Jonny', also shows up, being a contemporary of Rusty who got hosed up even worse) And there's repeated themes of a long history of questionable heroics and villainy mostly for entertainment purposes that the characters are just the latest generation of.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching all the Mad Max movies and is it some kind of running joke that Max's V-8 Inceptor can't actually outrun anything? It's best attribute is its ability to survive rollovers.

Also, Fury Road gets better every time you watch it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm rewatching all the Mad Max movies and is it some kind of running joke that Max's V-8 Inceptor can't actually outrun anything? It's best attribute is its ability to survive rollovers.

Also, Fury Road gets better every time you watch it.

If you want to see subtle moments, watch fury road then watch the first three. Miller does callbacks and references without actually drawing attention to them a lot. It's fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

Not to mention the whole show is an implicit sequel to The Rusty Venture Show. (With Rusty being an erzatz Johnny Quest. Incidentally, Johnny Quest himself later known as 'Action Jonny', also shows up, being a contemporary of Rusty who got hosed up even worse) And there's repeated themes of a long history of questionable heroics and villainy mostly for entertainment purposes that the characters are just the latest generation of.

The Johnny Quest thing was weird because in his first appearance on the show they were cleared toIIR call him Johnny Quest but later they had to change him to a legally distinct parody "Action Jonny."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

The Johnny Quest thing was weird because in his first appearance on the show they were cleared toIIR call him Johnny Quest but later they had to change him to a legally distinct parody "Action Jonny."

Didn't the network decide to make a new Johnny Quest cartoon after his first appearance in Venture Bros? Kinda shortsighted of them to have the rights and not think "We may want to actually make this at some point, and not have it connected to a strung-out junkie."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the Final Destination movies are dumb as hell (and I loving love them for it) they do sometimes to a good job of building tension before it's released (in a laugh but whatever) - for example in the Final Destination with the gymnast (I think 5, can't remember) it has this awfully tense framing because a nail lands on the balance beam that she's using for her routine, and it keeps focusing on her feet dancing around it as you ~know~ the shoe is about to literally drop and it's so hard to watch - until she dismounts with no problems, goes to the uneven bars, slips and does a triple flip off them landing straight on her neck in a way that is physically impossible but also hilarious.

Also the last one, "The Final Destination" has a brilliant twist when they board the airplane, only to see the protagonist of the first movie being ushered off while panicking - the movie is secretly a prequel and they all die on the flight that started it all. I thought that was really clever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

If you want to see subtle moments, watch fury road then watch the first three. Miller does callbacks and references without actually drawing attention to them a lot. It's fantastic.

Like what? I don't know if I've caught any of them yet.

Thunderdome was my favorite and now it's just terrible. They kept sticking in goofball gags. The worst was when there was a literal cowboy car with Holstein hides and a cowboy complete with the hat and clothes. Why did I ever like this?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thunderdome turning into a Spielberg movie halfway through caught me completely unprepared.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krispy Wafer posted:

During Thunderdome, Max gets a haircut, and a small child collects the clippings under his chair.
In Fury Road, when Organic is tattooing Max's blood type and he's getting shaved, a child warboy collects the clippings.

That's the most blatant reference, but there's loads more.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Krispy Wafer posted:

Thunderdome was my favorite and now it's just terrible. They kept sticking in goofball gags. The worst was when there was a literal cowboy car with Holstein hides and a cowboy complete with the hat and clothes. Why did I ever like this?

It's mostly little moments and visual callbacks. For example, Max finding the dude stealing the shoes in the first one, and the shoe subplot in fury road. I wonder if there's a YouTube video cataloging them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

That was the first episode of Venture Bros I ever saw and it owned

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

That was the first episode of Venture Bros I ever saw and it owned

It's a shame they didn't do poo poo like that more often. Venture Brothers was always best when it wasn't leaning on itself too hard.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The Doof Warrior's harness is made from he Thunderdome rigging.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

One of the skulls above Max's blood bag harness has the aviator's helmet and goggles from Road Warrior and Thunderdome.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

But we did see the part where Belloq took something away from Indy at the beginning

Yes. "Again".

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a shame they didn't do poo poo like that more often. Venture Brothers was always best when it wasn't leaning on itself too hard.

I enjoy the entire series, but it got stuck up its own rear end big time. Sometimes you don't want to have to worry about having seen every episode of the past four seasons. The standalone episodes were amazing.

It's why I think episodes like Ghosts of the Sargasso are the best, even though that one requires backstory as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think one of Max's flashbacks is Toecutter's death too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, his dream/nightmare ends with that shot of the eyes bulging.