Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

nerd plus rage posted:

I met a girl named Mileena after Mortal Kombat once, it must be exhausting to have to say "Yes, my name is $pop_culture_reference, yes it is a pop culture reference, I hate my parents" to everyone you meet.

I used to know an Arwyn. Yes, with a y. That's legitimately how she introduced herself. "Yes, my parents are geeks."

This was before the Peter Jackson movies. She'd be 34 now. I don't envy her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Edit: Arwyn's parents weren't geeks enough to spell it right?

lemon-lyme disease posted:

If mournful oatmeal is the breakfast cereal of calvinism, what does this guy eat to start his day off right?

Hopefully a bullet.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Apparently not. I didn't ask. I mean, I was dumb and young and obsessed with lotr, but I had the sense to not interrogate someone I'd just met about how her name was spelled.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My daughter's name is Eowyn.
But at least I a) gave her a "normal" middle name she can switch to if she wants, b) chose a name that actually is a name in another language, and c) spelled it correctly.
I'm a nerd, but Arwyn is just mean.
Also Eowyn actually did poo poo and didn't just hang out whisper talking and handing out jewelry and fading away for no loving reason.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I named my kid Morgoth

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why are people mad at me for naming my kid K'mpec? It's the public school system's fault for not teaching Klingon pronunciation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well my daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to Ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze
Now, I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Goku"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:golfclap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was a Galadriel a couple of grades ahead of me in elementary. She would have been born in the early 70s.

e: I thought therefore that it was just a normal girl's name and it confused me when I read the book for the first time, like why would he be so unimaginative?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hate dumb nerd names as much as the next guy, but this is like old people complaining about non-white names.

I'm sure "Beth" was new and weird at some point. :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh not really, it’s super tacky. The good thing is, for girls especially, if you meet someone for the first time who knows where your super nerdy name comes from it’s a pretty good red flag to get the hell out of the conversation.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:swoon:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aramek posted:

I hate dumb nerd names as much as the next guy, but this is like old people complaining about non-white names.

I'm sure "Beth" was new and weird at some point. :shrug:

I appreciate your drive to bring up race out of the blue and get ahead of racism accusations, but nah

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I know a guy who named his kid after two of history's greatest conquerors, his name is Gaius Alexander Lastname. Named for Gaius Julius Ceasar and Hyramulos Lastname, obviously.

...It's me I'm the guy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was half-listening to some of my students talk in class and one of them said "Braydyn with two 'y's and a Morgyn with one 'y'". As the old fart teacher with obsolete pop culture references I immediately spit out a Moe Sizlak style "that's the worst name I ever heard," and her response was "those are my kids' names."

All I could do was shrug.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Voyager I posted:

It's more that he's obsessed with making sure his sexbot is as pure as possible instead of, you know, good at sex or just generally interesting or fulfilling to interact with in any way.

Dude managed to combine the morals of Caligula with the imagination of John Calvin.

The "purity" thing is also a hilarious inherent self-own because it's saying "I don't want her to realize how bad I am at sex"

Frankly I feel like that's why virginity has been prized throughout history, simple insecurity with oneself

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Data Graham posted:

There was a Galadriel a couple of grades ahead of me in elementary. She would have been born in the early 70s.

e: I thought therefore that it was just a normal girl's name and it confused me when I read the book for the first time, like why would he be so unimaginative?

Sorta the reverse of that but I've seen people before talking about all the silly made-up wizard names in Harry Potter and they listed "Hermione" as one. These were Americans who didn't realize that it in fact has been an actual muggle name for a very long time in the UK.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:allears:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shared very earnestly by my aunt. I couldn't stop laughing at Down with Syndrome.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Shared very earnestly by my aunt. I couldn't stop laughing at Down with Syndrome.

My favourite Disturbed track.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Syndrome's cause was arguably good, but his methodology was unquestionably bad. Heroes didn't need to die for him to realize his goals. This girl is very misguided.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
speaking of 90s bands

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

There was also that family that named their kid dovahkin for free Bethesda games for life. The kid must be like 7 years old by now

Thankfully they made that his middle name. And he was born on 11/11/11 (that was part of the contest), so he's 6 now

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Goddamnit I laughed at Down with the Syndrome.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoshuaConkel/status/958479877962850304

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/greend00d/status/958726611033120768

Gab is twitter for racists. Well, exclusively racists.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I named my kid Morgoth
I named my kid Balrog, whether this is a LotR reference or a Street Fighter reference is left as an exercise to the reader.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That looks more like Crouzon Syndrome or Shprintzen-Goldberg Syndrome, in any case.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know a guy who named his kid after two of history's greatest conquerors, his name is Gaius Alexander Lastname. Named for Gaius Julius Ceasar and Hyramulos Lastname, obviously.

...It's me I'm the guy.

Username checks out!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:yikes:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I briefly discussed naming our child Gotham. Then we realized how loving stupid that would be and how much our kid would get their rear end kicked, and went with a better name.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I continue to find this hilarious.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Leavemywife posted:

My wife and I briefly discussed naming our child Gotham. Then we realized how loving stupid that would be and how much our kid would get their rear end kicked, and went with a better name.

I was actually thinking of making a website for baby naming but rating names based on how easy it would be to make fun of the kid.
Going in depth for how a merciless kid could make fun of your child through word play, nick naming, alliteration, or rhyming.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

There was also that family that named their kid dovahkin for free Bethesda games for life. The kid must be like 7 years old by now

And all they have done since then is what? Rerelease skyrim about a dozen times?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hihohe posted:

I was actually thinking of making a website for baby naming but rating names based on how easy it would be to make fun of the kid.
Going in depth for how a merciless kid could make fun of your child through word play, nick naming, alliteration, or rhyming.

"What about Bart?"
"Let's see. Bart, Cart, Dart, E-art...Nope, can't see any problem with that!"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

that's an obviously repurposed Irish flag shot

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug
My parents hit me with a double whammy of a pop culture name that's also spelled in a unique (stupid) way. My weird first name combined with my strange last name ensure that nobody ever pronounces or spells my name correctly. Whenever I introduce myself to someone, they immediately go, "Sorry, what was that?". If I go to the doctor's office or something and the receptionist asks for my name, I say it then immediately start spelling it out, since I know they're going to ask.

Seriously, don't do that to your kids, it's not nice.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
We named our son Mackenzie after Mackenzie Crook from the Office, and later on we named our daughter Myckynzye after we moved to Utah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

nerdz posted:

that's an obviously repurposed Irish flag shot

Or you know the Netherlands