Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
ugh another double post either my internet (google fiber wtf) or the forums are being a jackass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh hey they're bringing Mall Arowana to Splatoon 2.

That brings back some memories.

Mall Arowana.

We hold you in our heart.

And when we think about you...

It makes me want to fart!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

KingSlime posted:

ugh another double post either my internet (google fiber wtf) or the forums are being a jackass

I think the forums are loving up. I'm having problems seeing my bookmarks and posting takes a long time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's Feb 1, where's my NITW, Nintendo? :mad:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I think the forums are loving up. I'm having problems seeing my bookmarks and posting takes a long time.

Intermittent cloudflare "site down" errors, yep.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

There was one super cheesy Tekken movie I liked quite a bit, can't remember the name but it featured Heihachi's magnificent facial hair.

I wouldn't call it a GOOD movie though...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

has there been a good or enjoyable video game-based movie yet?

The Resident Evil series, both live action and 3D

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just discovered that if you capture a Cheep-Cheep and press B and Y together you can swim faster.
Wish I'd known that 800 moons ago

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Silent Hill isn't a great movie but it nails the atmosphere and feel of the games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

There are four upcoming 3DS games. Detective Pikachu and 3 Atlus JRPGs.

Maybe Nintendo wants to keep the 3DS alive, but not many other companies agree.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I am ok with the 3DS being propped up entirely by first party and Atlus.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Augus posted:

Just discovered that if you capture a Cheep-Cheep and press B and Y together you can swim faster.
Wish I'd known that 800 moons ago

I wish swimming as a Cheep Cheep wasn't so noisy. That's my only complaint about SMO.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Martytoof posted:

It's Feb 1, where's my NITW, Nintendo? :mad:

NITW and Crypt of the Necrodancer mark the first time I'm annoyed by the "Switch Tax" buuuut I'll probably pay it anyways for the former. But Crypt has a base price of $15 on PS4, and was literally just on sale there for $2.99, so I can't really bring myself to pay $20 for it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
still no virtual console talk huh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Bloop posted:

Maybe. Disney rarely flops movies they make for theatrical release. I'm hopeful.

I am just concerned about the subject matter. "The internet" is a really broad subject, with lots of really, really bad and dangerous aspects of it that I don't think they'll really comment on in a movie that has to appeal to parents and kids. The first was a well told, self-contained story that really doesn't need a sequel but I am willing to be proven wrong if it turns out to be thoughtful and has a good message.

Maybe, but maybe not. I'm sure when it comes to the Disney streaming service in 18 months I'll give it a watch.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You'd think with Nintendo announcing their online plan release date they'd have another big announcement to smooth over having to pay for it now. Maybe Smash 4 Switch? Maybe the NintendoFlix service? No? Nothing?

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspicious Cook posted:

You'd think with Nintendo announcing their online plan release date they'd have another big announcement to smooth over having to pay for it now. Maybe Smash 4 Switch? Maybe the NintendoFlix service? No? Nothing?

Oh poo poo, you're right! The rollout is only eight months away, they don't have any time to announce anything else!

Another classic Nintendo blunder!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

goferchan posted:

NITW and Crypt of the Necrodancer mark the first time I'm annoyed by the "Switch Tax" buuuut I'll probably pay it anyways for the former. But Crypt has a base price of $15 on PS4, and was literally just on sale there for $2.99, so I can't really bring myself to pay $20 for it

To be fair, necro includes an $8 dlc and a extra character that would probably be another $2 if released elsewhere

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right! The rollout is only eight months away, they don't have any time to announce anything else!

Another classic Nintendo blunder!

I'm sure they'll have something else in the coming months, I just meant at the same time. :rolleyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 3ds is a good rear end console and i personally feel like its 3D aspect will be seen as really revolutionary in retrospect, but it’s time to put it to bed. It had a good run and the definitive port of the definitive video game (Streets of Rage 2 3D), it’s time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm still going to keep using my 3DS as my portable option. The Switch is cool for playing around the house, but I can't imagine taking it on the bus or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

20 bucks a year for online and the virtual console is pretty fair tbqh
that's way less than MS or Sony are charging for their services

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$20/year is practically nothing. I won't even notice the annual charge on my card.

If it comes with retro games like they promised, then it's gonna be great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm trying to collect the entire physical 3DS library so on one hand I want it to continue to get cool games but on the other hand I want it to stop.

I've got little over 52% last time I checked.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

SeANMcBAY posted:

That post makes me think we’ll see more SKUs with older games bundled with them. I don’t think we’ll see many first party releases on 3DS anymore but we’ll probably know for sure around E3.

The 3DS is enjoying its late life due to a low price of entry and a mature catalog of games. This last year, Mario Kart 7, a 2011 game, sold 140.000 units and overtook Pokemon X/Y as the best selling 3DS game. The system is also a better fit for young children than the Switch.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm still going to keep using my 3DS as my portable option. The Switch is cool for playing around the house, but I can't imagine taking it on the bus or something.

This is a big design distinction and preference for many that will factor into future hardware decisions by Nintendo (not a Switch lite, though)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It’s you. The one guy playing exclusively docked.

I can personally attest that planeswitching and trainswitching are both sublime and you’re missing out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can personally attest that planeswitching and trainswitching are both sublime and you’re missing out.

It's me too.

Though I do have a 12 hour flight coming up so I'm going to lose my porta-virginity

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean yeah I have a really nice big TV.

I might bring it on my next 15-hour flight, but I could also just bring my 3DS and not have to worry about anything happening to my more expensive and fragile (?) Switch.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Some people just like the freedom of carrying around the house, or to someone's house, not necessarily perma-docked because they don't like to take it on a bus

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the last flight i was on i played switch while waiting but playing on the plane itself gives me motion sickness so i just read instead

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I saw that the forums went and and that Nintendo made some vague announcements. I assumed it was this thread that blew things up.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

$20/year is practically nothing. I won't even notice the annual charge on my card.

If it comes with retro games like they promised, then it's gonna be great.

People will throw rocks but I have zero interest in NES games. I learned this when I got my 3ds two years ago. They just don't hold up or offer much 30+ years later (just like me)

I'm all for SNES, 64 (some) and GC games though. But if the "free" games each month are NES titles then that will suck.

$20 a year is pittance for the couple of times a week where I play MK8, RL, or Spla2n online. But I don't get any added value out of playing an old rom of River City Ransom or Cobra Triangle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't figure it would end up that way but Doom is one of my favorite games for portable play, it's really fun to just pop in and play a bite-sized chunk of a level and the graphics/framerate don't bother me as much when it's not on a TV.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo has officially announced nothing but the month the thing will start, which is over half a year away and after E3, where we will presumably hear more. But people have already decided that it's a great bargain, or a horrible misstep that will force Nintendo to become a third party developer.

You're all stupid.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How is $20/year not a bargain? You pay for online service with consoles now. It's just how it works. $20 is below average.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Just be warned if you take your Switch on a 15 hour flight, even if you plug it in with the USB charger in your seat, it's still going to drain pretty fast if you're playing Odyssey or something. If you want to have enough juice to get you most of the way there, you probably need one of those USB-C Anker battery packs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heres what they should do before they announce the date

announce what the gently caress the online is going to give us in actual concrete terms

if they don't know, then don't announce a date

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

eonwe posted:

announce what the gently caress the online is going to give us in actual concrete terms

what, something like this? that's been around for months? (minus the date that was just announced, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

eonwe posted:

"September" isn't a date. It's also really fuckin' far away. They have seven months to announce details before you have to decide if you're angry or not

• Locked thread