Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo Oath 6 Mantic ogres, and 4 Reaper Bones figures (a Prairie Queen Tick and 3 Mushroom Men)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

OATH COMPLETED
Also man, gently caress Skorne. I’ll be glad if I never paint one of them again.

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath these for January

Tyrant Commander (40mm), Standard Bearer (30mm) and an Agonizer (30mm) - the last (?) of my Skorne for Privateer Press’s Warmahordes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I Yvonmukluk, being of sound mind, Oath for January 2018 1 28mm Warlord Games American Infantryman, 1 Warlord Games 28mm U.S Marine, 1 Mantic Games Enforcer Forward Observer, and 1 38mm (I think, its not all that clear on their website) Warlord Games Dalek.

Claiming Rescue Ranger for the Forward Observer.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a good photo taking setup but here we are:
Oath Complete

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath complete!

Terrain was a nice change of pace!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

Calling them done as the mushy detail was driving me nuts. Good enough for boardgame.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

gameraMan posted:

I, GameraMan, oath (3) Gnoll Jerks for the month of January:

They're Gnolls! They're jerks! And... there's 3 of them!

All Reaper Bones minis

Hello oath lords -

I never got an approval on this oath, was there an issue?

Have a new photo setup and taking progress pics...

thank you -

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Takuan posted:

I, Takuan, Oath for January a Vinyl Chun-Li figure by Volks

Signal posted:

Oath!

Three Goblins, in 28mm for the Vast boardgame.

Foolster41 posted:

I, Foolster41 oath to paint these D&D Kolbolds and halfling (AKA Smol squad)

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath 6 Mantic ogres, and 4 Reaper Bones figures (a Prairie Queen Tick and 3 Mushroom Men)

Yvonmukluk posted:

I Yvonmukluk, being of sound mind, Oath for January 2018 1 28mm Warlord Games American Infantryman, 1 Warlord Games 28mm U.S Marine, 1 Mantic Games Enforcer Forward Observer, and 1 38mm (I think, its not all that clear on their website) Warlord Games Dalek.

Approved!

gameraMan posted:

I never got an approval on this oath, was there an issue?

No problem, it was just an oversight (I quoted Galaspar's oath twice by accident!), you're good to go! The offendind post has been corrected.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the waning days of January

1 Goblin Leader by Reaper (28mm)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

WIP1
- base coats for most of the colours and metallics.

WIP2
- second coat for the fabrics and skin

WIP3
- a third layer on the skin and a brighter red on the armour. Highlights for some fabrics.

Get the Crystal: for the objective markers.
Rescue Ranger:for the commando with burna.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Having forgotten to actually take WIP pics for the Journal,
I Oath for January:

A Nightmare Unicorn, for the boardgame Vast, in presumably 28mm

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete!

I had intended to claim the jurnal this month, but I blanked and only took 2 in-progress pictures, so I guess not. :downs: Anyway, here is kopta, converted to carry tons of grenades as a stand-in for bombs (are those still a thing?)

Yes, it is exactly that garish in person, because we believe in total war and your senses will be attacked as ruthlessly. :black101:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Oath complete.

This month sucked, these photos sucked, everyone in my house is sick, and these are just gonna have to be good enough. Urgh.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Oath Complete!

Claiming Remember to show your workings and Spic and Span

Show your working:

Base coated.

Trying to figure out how to do the hair.

Final WIP was getting ahold of a colour filter for my painting lamp.

Spic and Span:

Before

After:

It turns out moving house is a great motivator to clean your desk.

Actual Oath:

Gang Leader:

Champion 1:

Champion 2:

Juve 1:

Juve 2:

All together:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

I did the monthly challenge:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

WIP Photos:

Basecoat and airbrush highlighting

Blacklining

Highlights complete

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Signal posted:

Having forgotten to actually take WIP pics for the Journal,
I Oath for January:

A Nightmare Unicorn, for the boardgame Vast, in presumably 28mm

Claiming Speed Painting!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete, timely, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete!

And claiming Show Your Work with this :effort: collage:

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
OATH COMPLETE!

Unfortunately, did not remember to take a single WIP picture, so no Jurnal for me this time. Ah well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oath Complete

I took some step by step pictures, though I kind of skipped some steps because I got in a painting groove and forgot to snap pictures :doh:

Basecoats:

Everything washed and highlighted! (woops)

Base finished and transfers applied:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oath Complete!

Before I post the final image, I'd like to also claim Remember to show your workings and A recipe for success.

I took a look at the official Warlord guide to painting Daleks and I must confess, I was unimpressed. So I decided to do my own thing!

I took the lead by basecoating it in Army Painter Matt Black spray (as seen in the initial oath post). I then painted most of the chassis in Vallejo Game Colour Tinny Tin, since I figured that was a much closer match to the colour in the show:

Next, for the plunger arm, weapon, eyestalk and headlamps, I painted those with some old Boltgun Metal, shading it with some Army Painter Survivor Shader. The bulb part of the headlamps I painted in Scale75 Mojave White.

Lastly for the black parts (the base, the tip of the eyestalk, the actual plunger), I used Scale75 Black and again went over it with Survivor Shader. For the bumps/armour plating, I used Vallejo Game Colour Glorious Gold.

For the finishing touch, I actually went back to the official paint scheme and used Vallejo Electric Blue for the eye.

The final product, along with the other minis:

(Before anyone asks - the US Marine is meant to be in a black uniform, I'm working on a Marine Raider force for Bolt Action based on the Makin Island Raid).

Maybe one day I'll figure out how to take good pictures on my phone.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Show your work Jurnul for the following Work in progress shots:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Oath Complete

1 Tempestor Prime

(left hand dude kitbashed from the plastic Commissar)

2 Basilisks

(any two - painted all three in a weekend together)

5 Scions

2 Skitarii Vanguard

(leftmost and rightmost)

1 Brother Corbulo

Show your workings on Corbulo:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete

Show ur Work Jurnal
WIP images: https://imgur.com/a/gSVJo

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Great fun to paint, nice amount of detail for a 50mm figure, so was able to spend a good amount of time on it. Almost entirely using Scalecolor now, so was also an exercise in getting used to them.

I'd also like to claim Show your working for this;

Fur painted in a gradient from Scalecolor Iroko to Birch; lots of drybrushing with some white at the tips. Shaded with some Gobi Brown, and Army Painter Dark Tone.

Added metals, Scalecolor Black/Heavy/Speed metal, with a thin coat of AP Strong tone, and some Dark Tone for the shadows.

Added the brown and blue leather, face details and bone/horn bits.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete! (barely)

I don't think I have ever oathed so many 28mm minis in one month!

Claiming Journal for the crappy WIP pics I did remember...

Skin painting!

Skin highlighting!

Base colours!

Ugleb posted:

Keep forgetting to post this...

Oath addition!

I Ugleb, having decided to probably over commit, additionally oath a further 9 Matsudan. 28mm for Dreadball by Mantic Games.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January, 10 Matsudan, 1 Refbot and 1 Rush marker for Dreadball. All 28mm by Mantic Games.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!
unnecessarily long oath complete post incoming...

Signal posted:

Claiming Speed Painting!

Also claiming the Journal for the following WIP pics!

Masked off the base, and applied zenithal highlight

Hit the mane with some fire, and did a dark red shade

Fleshtone over the top, and a blackwash.

Some color on the horn, and then black on the hooves and the mane.

Going to claim as well A Faithful Replica for painting it to look like the artwork from the game.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath failed! I got called into work, which means more money and thus more minis so it's a win in my books :v:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

And going for the Journal, here are three of the (umm...four) work-in-progress pics I took!

The complete album, including more details of each step I photographed in the process, can be found here.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Working on the model, haven't cleaned up or picked out details.

Getting first layers of paint on the lamp.

Lamp mounted and the globe fixed up a little bit.

And fin. Oath and jurnal complete.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I know it's late, but the forums have only just come back up after being down for about 8 hours

Oath Complete

Claiming show my working

here's the final product

Also claiming recipe for success:

Army Painter Red cape
VGA Dwarf Skin, with a coat of VMC Transparent Green for the skin
Reaper MSP HD Pale Saffron eyes
VGC Off White teeth
VMC Natural Steel weapon and armour, edge highlighted with Vallejo Liquid Silver
P3 Hammerfall Khaki for the hood and tunic
VMC Panzer Series Beige Brown for the gloves and dagger hilt
All washed in Citadel Nuln Oil
Sealed with Devlan Matisse Polymer Matt Varnish

The base was carved from standard Milliput
Painted in Vallejo Black Surface Primer, with Reaper MSP HD White edge highlights
Sealed with Pledge Future Shine for a glassy Obsidian finish
Surrounded by a small amount of Vallejo Earth Texture Dark Earth, and Woodland Scenics Light Green Field Grass

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, the forums are back up now, huzzah!

On account of the forums being down for a while during the regular cut off point, I am giving a 1 day grace period on outstanding Oath Completions, you have til midnight on the 1st Feb (American Samoa time) to post them up before they'll be treated as failed.

Onwards and upwards!

quote:

February - My heart bleeds for you
Include some glory blood effects on your model. Maybe they’ve just decapitated their foe or have taken a few flesh wounds. Alternately, paint a heart symbol on your figure, showing that it’s better to love than hate!

I intend to catch up with the thread this weekend and get the spreadsheet updated etc.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Forum's just come back up, so I'm afraid this is the first chance I've had today to say Oath Complete

For this month's challenge I wanted to show how I paint my very favourite things to paint, dirty white Plague Marines. The technique is based off an ancient tutorial from Dakka with a few twists. I start with bright foundation paints over a white undercoat, including orange for all the metallic areas:

Then there's a brow wash all over, followed by a black wash on the recesses and coloured parts:

Then the fun bit. The original tutorial had a green wash all over the white. I've found it's more effective to use patches of green, camoshade and crimson:

Then the armour gets close vertical stripes of heavily thinned off-white so that the washes show through. The green parts go in two directions; the trim (such as I bother with, the stripey white technique neatly avoids having to pick out loads of trim) is layered with greyish greens, and the tentacles etc are highlighted all the way to a sickly yellow, with thinned coat of Nurgle's Rot for added yuck. The metals are selectively picked out in Leadbelcher, followed by a thin coat of Typhus Corrosion, then more Leadbelcher:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for February:

Parvati, Wild Bill and Maximus for Aristeia! from Corvus Belli.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter oath 36 Continental line (28mm, Perry Miniatures) and 1 George Washington (28mm Wargames Illustrated).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Stupid forums software.

Oath Complete

Claiming Show Your Work for the modified station:

I wanted to mask off and airbrush the Scourge parts, but I couldn't find my good masking tape so I had to do it by hand.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Thanks for extending the deadline, forums went down just as I went to post last night...

These Gnoll Jerks were a project I wasn’t looking forward to, poorly done early Bones casts that I’ve had on a shelf forever and just promised myself I would paint. But I enjoyed the green stuff work on the warrior and (now blind and blindfolded) archer.

Claiming Show Your Work:

Base coats and gutted archer’s face

More layers and rebuild of archer’s face

[timg] https://i.imgur.com/ERjYZIL.png[/timg]

Details, skin layers, went all in on inking shaman

More details, decide I want a red blindfold on archer

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Quick post to announce the extended deadline is now over for January's stuff. Good luck with February y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Oathing for February

3 Kataphron Destroyers, 1 Tempestus Scion Sergeant, 1 Sergeant Harker kitbash

e: with American Samoa time

Living Image fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 2, 2018

• Locked thread