Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm only in chapter 2 but the dissidia mobile game seems alright. Makes you take a second to consider turn order and enemies targets before you can let loose. I like it.

14 wins all arguments forever yes, but for the current one I would bring in Type 0. Though maybe it's a product of just having a massive cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gologle posted:

14 wins this conversation, by the way. In fact, 14 will win any discussion about Final Fantasy games in general. It's a good game and you should be playing it.

Sadly it's an MMO and thus poo poo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gigglefeimer posted:

X-2 is great because it almost fails the reverse-Bechdel test. Men are almost always talking to or about YRP.

There's a fair amount of Nooj/Baralai/Gippal not talking about YRP. Plus commspheres and memory spheres.

On the flipside, Leblanc.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the best Final fantasy is final fantasy record keeper

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

exquisite tea posted:

Reverse Bechdel sounds like a hidden mechanic from a Guilty Gear game.

lol it does

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Sadly it's an MMO and thus poo poo

i genuinely felt the same before playing it. never played an MMO that had drawn me to max level, let alone the endgame, but FFXIV drew me in in a way none of the rest of them had achieved. i think the very good controller support helped, you can play it just fine with that and wireless keyboard relaxed on the couch instead of at a desk. and to this day, i still have yet to find another MMO that i've had the tolerance to reach the max level for

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So what’s the deal with the mobile Dissidia game? Is it gacha or some other bullshit?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scrap Dragon posted:

So what’s the deal with the mobile Dissidia game? Is it gacha or some other bullshit?

It is very similar to FFRK but with a different more focused/puzzleish combat system.

e; Still figuring out the best use for various items, but it seems like gold is pretty hard to come by here while you can grind out almost everything else. I have my 3rd WOL sword ready to limit break once i can pay for it. Has anyone used one of those 100 D points keys yet? Does it let you do unlimited quest dungeons for 30 minutes? Does it restrict you to the current one only? Also note I was able to clear the level 30 daily dungeon by about level 25 -- i'm kind of pumping the EXP x2 starting trio with the best weapons available to them in order to get higher daily dungeons fast to get the better rewards.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 1, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pre-Heavensward

In-Heavensward

I have not beaten Heavensward. Give me some years and I'll get back to it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I need to get back to XIV. I was playing as a tall as gently caress conjurer Roegadyn with a japanese delinquent pompadour, he was cool af.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want to point out that none of the women in FFX-2 actually speak like women or indeed like human beings, and the stupid hot springs scene at the start should probably be enough to demonstrate that. Rikku at the very least has been loving lobotomized between the two games. Also Leblanc is...I mean, come the gently caress on, if somebody's gonna dismiss FF7 outright 'cause Tifa wears shorts, Leblanc is literally naked and fawns like a moron over a guy wearing a full body stocking.

The best women characters in FF are probably in FF12, though neither of them have a scene together, which is Ashe and the lady judge. Bonus for the latter, who is an Older Woman who is politically empowered and is betrayed due to her convictions to her morals.

FFV does eventually have three ladies and one man save the world, though only Faris and Lenna get much development, Krile is sorta just there.

I wanna say Fang deserves a spot, but Fang's got the problem of being in Final Fantasy XIII, where all the women are either encased in crystals, socially stunted or else culpable in the main conflict of the story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/en/

There's a benchmark for the PC version of FFXV out.

I got 4688 on a i5 2500k/GTX 1060 6GB with 1080 High graphics settings and it runs perfect for the most part, though the AA is ugly as sin.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Reverse Bechdel sounds like a hidden mechanic from a Guilty Gear game.

nah

it's a melty mechanic

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ff12 is 30 via greenmangaming with the code JUSTFORYOU. i got it there

Relin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2018

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a fair amount of Nooj/Baralai/Gippal not talking about YRP. Plus commspheres and memory spheres.

On the flipside, Leblanc.

Yeah, the Crimson Squad boys are the main instances I was thinking of where women aren't talked to/about. Even then, Paine contributes in some of the crimson spheres as the recorder, and Gippal can't help but bring up Leblanc to Nooj when they're alone in the Farplane :3

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want to point out that none of the women in FFX-2 actually speak like women or indeed like human beings, and the stupid hot springs scene at the start should probably be enough to demonstrate that.

Tell us more about how women should speak.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 1, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Relin posted:

If early steam reviews are to be believed though you should wait for a patch, folks are reporting it's stuck on double speed mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

If early steam reviews are to be believed though you should wait for a patch, folks are reporting it's stuck on double speed mode.

That sounds like a feature, not a bug. Unless you can't go to x4 mode.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

quoting this for new ff12 players

Golden Goat posted:

Here's the rundown on magic/techs can be found in chests only and where.

Techs
Shades of Black: Tomb of Raithwall - Cloister of Flame
Numerology: Lhusu Mines - Transitway 1
Infuse: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Sight Unseeing: The Zertinan Caverns - Canopy of Clay - It's a passage that links Nam-Yensa to the Ogir Yensa.
Expose: Lhusu Mines - Site 9
Achilles: Garamscythe Waterway (Revisit) - No. 4 Cloaca Spur - Southeast segment and you need to have the water drained for it.
Bonecrusher: Henne Mines - Phase 1 Dig
Shear: Barheim Passage - The Zeviah Span
Stamp: Mosphoran Highwaste - Trail of Sky-Flung Stone & Rays of Ashen Light - Head to the far eastern side and find a weathered rock that should open up a path to the Rays area that holds the chest.
Charm: The Salikawood - Quietened Trace
Telekinesis: Cerobi Steppe - Old Elanise Road
Gil Toss: Draklor Laboratory - Room 7002 East (Floor 70)
1000 Needles: Sochen Cave Palace - Falls of Time
Revive: Paramina Rift - Spine of the Iceworm
Addle: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft - It's got a 10% chance for the chest to spawn. South side of the shaft and it's in the second passageway from the east side of the map. The passage isn't marked on the map.
Wither: Pharos Subterra - Abyssal - 10% chance to spawn hidden room on the north spot on the map.

Wither and Addle are good but don't go outta your way for em.

White Magic
Dispel: Tomb of Raitnwall - Royal Passage
Regen: Giza Plains (Rain) - Nomad Village
Renew: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft
Cleanse: Cerobi Steppe - The Terraced Bank - 20% chance to spawn chest. In the center of the room.
Dispelga: The Feywood - White Magick's Embrace
Protectga: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of Distant Song
Bravery: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Faith: Necrohol of Nabudis - Hall of the Ivory Covenant
Shellga: Great Crystal - It is somewhere in there...
Holy: Pharos at Ridorana - Wellspring Ravel - 3rd Flight

Black Magic
Blind: Giza Plains (Dry) - Toam Hills
Poison: Dalmasca Estersands - Sand-swept Naze
Silence: Lhusu Mines - Shaft Entry
Sleep: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Scathe: Lhusu Mines - Staging Area
Toxify: Barheim Passage — East-West Bypass
Blindga: Tchita Uplands — Fields of Eternity
Silencega: Nechrol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Sleepga: Ancient City of Giruvegan — The Trimahla Water-Steps
Flare: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 1st Flight

Time Magic
Vanish: The Tomb of Raithwall — Royal Passage
Reflect: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea — Primary Tank Complex
Balance: Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Demesne of the Sandqueen
Haste: Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path
Countdown: Stilshrine of Miriam - Ward of Velitation
Reflectga: The Feywood — The Edge of Reason
Warp: Nabreus Deadlands — Lifeless Strand
Float: Tchita Uplands - Oliphzak Rise
Hastega: The Great Crystal - Somewhere

Green Magic
Clan Provisioner, nothing really found in chests

Arcane Magic
Death: Paramina Rift — Karydine Glacier
Ardor: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I had some other games I wanted to get through before this anyway but lol if true

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fridge corn posted:

the best Final fantasy is final fantasy record keeper

This but unironically(?)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gigglefeimer posted:

Less disasteriffically.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

gigglefeimer posted:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Faris's pirate speak was silly but good, like FF 5.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Man, Pirate should have been a dressphere in X-2. The battle quotes alone would have been worth it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want to point out that none of the women in FFX-2 actually speak like women or indeed like human beings,

meet more people imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avalerion posted:

I'm not having any issues with this for what it's worth.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea further research shows it's something with capping FPS and can be fixed by fiddling with some settings if it affects someone.

Edit: Have to leave framerate limits on 60FPS in the config utility is what fixed it for me, on 30FPS everything will be speed up.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gigglefeimer posted:

Yeah, the Crimson Squad boys are the main instances I was thinking of where women aren't talked to/about. Even then, Paine contributes in some of the crimson spheres as the recorder, and Gippal can't help but bring up Leblanc to Nooj when they're alone in the Farplane :3

There's also that one sphere with Auron and Gippal.

Also thinking back on it I think my favourite sidequest in X-2 is the dumb chocobo mystery, it's just a crying shame it wasn't VAed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Relin posted:

Thank you!

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds like a feature, not a bug. Unless you can't go to x4 mode.
Feature: "stuck" on 2x. Bug: can't go faster.

(that's still a net negative on balance but this is hilarious to me)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want to point out that none of the women in FFX-2 actually speak like women or indeed like human beings

Counterpoint: https://youtube.com/watch?v=F4_D07Y3oNk

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Who was it that did the ps1 translation of that? I remember that article about the team that translating FF5 on a SNES ROM laughing at how bad the translation was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

The good parts of Crisis Core were the soundtrack, CONFLICT RESOLVED and the ending scene.

Just scrub away anything to do with Genesis.

ngl I loving loved Angeal.

Which is prob why I like Gladio so much. He's like a straight Angeal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want to point out that none of the women in FFX-2 actually speak like women or indeed like human beings, and the stupid hot springs scene at the start should probably be enough to demonstrate that. Rikku at the very least has been loving lobotomized between the two games. Also Leblanc is...I mean, come the gently caress on, if somebody's gonna dismiss FF7 outright 'cause Tifa wears shorts, Leblanc is literally naked and fawns like a moron over a guy wearing a full body stocking.

The best women characters in FF are probably in FF12, though neither of them have a scene together, which is Ashe and the lady judge. Bonus for the latter, who is an Older Woman who is politically empowered and is betrayed due to her convictions to her morals.

FFV does eventually have three ladies and one man save the world, though only Faris and Lenna get much development, Krile is sorta just there.

I wanna say Fang deserves a spot, but Fang's got the problem of being in Final Fantasy XIII, where all the women are either encased in crystals, socially stunted or else culpable in the main conflict of the story.

lol are you even a woman? Have you met many women?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
lol at the person who said FF7 mishandles its female cast then praised FF6 where the underaged general has to lean on the mid 20's man to get anything actually done and the other female protag really really needs to have children to teach her this human emotion we call love.

Also lol at anyone praising any of the characters in 12 for doing anything. There's barely enough cahracter writing in that game to flesh out 1 person and the main cast of protags is about 9 people deep. There's nothing to any of them to the point they might as well be DQ style created PC's.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

esperterra posted:

ngl I loving loved Angeal.

Which is prob why I like Gladio so much. He's like a straight Angeal.

Angeal is pretty good too. I think the rule of the VII universe is that if you have a long coat (see: Hojo, Sephiroth, Genesis), you're a bad character. Rufus is debatable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rufus was great til they pussied out on having him actually die in that explosion.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Come to think of it, there aren't a lot of dudes with Angeal's body type in the series. You have Angeal, Sabin, Gladio, Barret, probably Wakka. Maybe Ward.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

lol at the person who said FF7 mishandles its female cast then praised FF6 where the underaged general has to lean on the mid 20's man to get anything actually done and the other female protag really really needs to have children to teach her this human emotion we call love.

Also lol at anyone praising any of the characters in 12 for doing anything. There's barely enough cahracter writing in that game to flesh out 1 person and the main cast of protags is about 9 people deep. There's nothing to any of them to the point they might as well be DQ style created PC's.

:rolleyes:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

esperterra posted:

Rufus was great til they pussied out on having him actually die in that explosion.

you just have to pretend all of that never happened. anything after ff7 in the timeline doesn't exist until they release a manga about evil cait sith becoming the emperor of neo-shinra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFVII has a decent cast, it's just that all of their villians except for the Turks are bad.