Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It also leads to those "Shocking" commercials that they say they're going to put on that'll make people mad, that never actually get shown. I think this years is an anti-Pitbull commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Fun fact, they do. I can't remember who it was (it was in the marketing fails thread somewhere), but there was some company that had a lion's share of their market, and decided to drop most of their marketing under the assumption you made: everyone knows about us, we don't need to do ads anymore.

The result? They drastically lost their market position, because the lack of marketing on their end (and what little marketing their competitors could do) was enough to drastically alter the landscape.

it was moxie soda
have you heard of moxie soda?
they used to be as big as coke or pepsi

welcome to the red queen's race

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bobjr posted:

It also leads to those "Shocking" commercials that they say they're going to put on that'll make people mad, that never actually get shown. I think this years is an anti-Pitbull commercials.

what did mister world wide do to anyone

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterBibs posted:

Fun fact, they do. I can't remember who it was (it was in the marketing fails thread somewhere), but there was some company that had a lion's share of their market, and decided to drop most of their marketing under the assumption you made: everyone knows about us, we don't need to do ads anymore.

The result? They drastically lost their market position, because the lack of marketing on their end (and what little marketing their competitors could do) was enough to drastically alter the landscape.

Pretty sure it was Colgate toothpaste.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Aramek posted:

China has them there Pander Bears though.

This was way funnier than it had any right to be

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is the first year my buddy isn't having his giant Super Bowl party (he had another kid like 3 weeks ago) and we're usually busy settling up on bets and arguing with each other during the commercials, so I may actually see a few commercials this year.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is the first year my buddy isn't having his giant Super Bowl party (he had another kid like 3 weeks ago) and we're usually busy settling up on bets and arguing with each other during the commercials, so I may actually see a few commercials this year.
How many does he have? Now that I'm getting older and people I know are popping out kids I'm noticing a trend:

Kid 1. Busy but hey it's a kid and it's what we're meant to do, we're ultimately pretty happy.
Kid 2. Well why not do it while they're both young and we're young? It's tough but manageable.
Kid 3+. WHY DID WE EVER THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA HOLY poo poo LIFE IS WAKING TORTURE

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

How many does he have? Now that I'm getting older and people I know are popping out kids I'm noticing a trend:

Kid 1. Busy but hey it's a kid and it's what we're meant to do, we're ultimately pretty happy.
Kid 2. Well why not do it while they're both young and we're young? It's tough but manageable.
Kid 3+. WHY DID WE EVER THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA HOLY poo poo LIFE IS WAKING TORTURE

It's this one. Three girls. Dude's outnumbered 4:1, but he's loving amazing at tea parties.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

In my experience once they have the first kid, unless you are also married or at least in a serious relationship the friendship is basically over. They will text you about their baby's poo poo and when they talk and stuff but they don't have time for friends anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We got delivery from a decent local italian place. It's no blow-your-mind poo poo but it's tasty af and has great deals and selections, including non-pizza items.

Anyway we got a baked artichoke app that includes about six baked artichokes... and then a whole 6x9 bowl of sauce that used to contain the artichokes. After we ate them all there is still a shitload of the sauce. It is not weird to save this delicious buttery parm tomato sauce. Everyone here has literally eaten from that using the same utensil and it's going to get thermonuked before being re-eaten so like..... what is gross?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People who complain about auto aim in console games are absolute morons.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I only complain about it when it gets me killed, like when I can't move my gun from the guy looking away from me to the guy coming toward me fast enough because the aim assist tries to stick to the first guy. When it helps me get kills though it's great.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

veni veni veni posted:

People who use auto aim are absolute morons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Playing an FPS with a controller is poo poo enough with autoaim, it'd be loving awful without it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Playing an FPS with a controller is poo poo enough with autoaim, it'd be loving awful without it.

There are people who insist that you should turn it off or you're a drooling noob but yeah unless you crank the sensitivity so that you do a full 360 if you even tap the joystick you kind of need it.

Unpopular opinion: it's ok to be a "filthy casual". Games are supposed to be fun, stop trying to turn everything into ultimate "esportz".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There are people who insist that you should turn it off or you're a drooling noob but yeah unless you crank the sensitivity so that you do a full 360 if you even tap the joystick you kind of need it.

Unpopular opinion: it's ok to be a "filthy casual". Games are supposed to be fun, stop trying to turn everything into ultimate "esportz".

It’s not just ok, it’s kinda necessary to be a filthy casual as an adult. Compared to being a beady-eyed, cheetoh-stained teenaged goon, we just do not have the time to Git Gud bc we would swiftly lose our jobs/fail our classes/neglect our children end up nooby and homeless or worse. Plus we’re... usually more emotionally mature and want friends and partners?

Used to be, at 15, I could easily put in like 5 hours of gaming on weeknights and then an absurd amount on weekends. If I did that today I’d soon be broke, alone, and homeless with two dead cats and a dead mom on my conscience, and I’m only 25 and a loser so it’s only going to get worse gaming-wise.

E: and like believe me I’d clock 12 hours of video games per day if i could

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Feb 2, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even with auto aim I suck at console games so there's way more to these multiplayer games than just aiming.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
It's impossible to git gud at aiming with a controller. Like you can be better than everyone else with a controller, but that doesn't mean you have good aim.
It's like, you can probably write a pretty good song on a 10 key piano, you could be the best 10 key pianist in the world... but you're still not a good pianist.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It's impossible to git gud at aiming with a controller. Like you can be better than everyone else with a controller, but that doesn't mean you have good aim.
It's like, you can probably write a pretty good song on a 10 key piano, you could be the best 10 key pianist in the world... but you're still not a good pianist.

this is dumb "pc master race" stuff. If you're the best at a console fps you are the best at that game in that format. It doesn't matter at all if your hit % is less than the best PC player because you aren't playing on a PC.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

this is dumb "pc master race" stuff. If you're the best at a console fps you are the best at that game in that format. It doesn't matter at all if your hit % is less than the best PC player because you aren't playing on a PC.

PC games are objectively still better than console ones, and PC-only game formats are still way more fun than anything that can cross mediums

Also a decent computer is multi-function so save the loving money and don't buy a dumb game machine that can also....... gasp....... play netflix

And you can play multiplayer with any friend..... anywhere??? anytime??? even if they don't own the same exact machine as you??? with no subscription fee???

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PC games are objectively still better than console ones, and PC-only game formats are still way more fun than anything that can cross mediums

Also a decent computer is multi-function so save the loving money and don't buy a dumb game machine that can also....... gasp....... play netflix

I don't think you know what the word objectively means.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I play all my games on PC... with an Xbox controller. :smug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PHUO: Platform/OS/browser/etc arguments are stupid and so is anyone who willingly engages in them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Video games are for children.

Except spec ops the line. That’s straight up art.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Everyone I hurt in that game had it coming.

I'm told this was not the message I was supposed to get from it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, it's stupid as gently caress that basically every video game player rebranded since the early 2000s. I got a Playstation, a Playstation 2, a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, and a Gameboy Advance SP as birthday presents between like age 6 and age 15. Those console brands, alongside the N64 which I conned my grandma into buying secondhand bc it was the only thing that would play the Star Wars podracing game, are what everyone my age grew up with.

Why the gently caress is it now a Nintendo DS? I own an oldish DS+, specific name idk, that I play pokemanz with from time to time. I remember being hella excited at hearing about the original DS but even then me and my 12-year-old friends were like.... "so when is the next Gameboy?"

Now all those lines are dead. PS5? Hell no, PSX. XBox... gently caress if I know, 1080? Hell no, XBox One, the confusingest possible title. Gameboy DS?? What is that?? The Gameboy is way too beloved of a brand and has way too many of our core titles, let's invent a new handheld.

Just... why? They're marketing past me now but it isn't like younger people didn't play their older friends'/relatives' consoles. If anything the teens I know are very aware and mocking of companies' attempts to be disruptive and millenial. Why the gently caress isn't it just Gameboy DSX and PS7 and so on and so on? I know family and friend 13-year-olds and even those little fucks remember playing old Gameboys, and even those fucks ask.... "Why isn't it just a Gameboy DS? Gameboys rule."

Also wtf is the sequel to PSX? PSXX? PSXI? PSX2? just so stupid

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Feb 2, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Video game censorship is good because I like watching people melt down over it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, it's stupid as gently caress that basically every video game player rebranded since the early 2000s. I got a Playstation, a Playstation 2, a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, and a Gameboy Advance SP as birthday presents between like age 6 and age 15. Those console brands, alongside the N64 which I conned my grandma into buying secondhand bc it was the only thing that would play the Star Wars podracing game, are what everyone my age grew up with.

Why the gently caress is it now a Nintendo DS? I own an oldish DS+, specific name idk, that I play pokemanz with from time to time. I remember being hella excited at hearing about the original DS but even then me and my 12-year-old friends were like.... "so when is the next Gameboy?"

Now all those lines are dead. PS5? Hell no, PSX. XBox... gently caress if I know, 1080? Hell no, XBox One, the confusingest possible title. Gameboy DS?? What is that?? The Gameboy is way too beloved of a brand and has way too many of our core titles, let's invent a new handheld.

Just... why? They're marketing past me now but it isn't like younger people didn't play their older friends'/relatives' consoles. If anything the teens I know are very aware and mocking of companies' attempts to be disruptive and millenial. Why the gently caress isn't it just Gameboy DSX and PS7 and so on and so on? I know family and friend 13-year-olds and even those little fucks remember playing old Gameboys, and even those fucks ask.... "Why isn't it just a Gameboy DS? Gameboys rule."

The DS came out in 2004, so I'm not sure how your 13 year old friend knows about Gameboys.

Also, the DS came out in 2004, you've had more than enough time to learn that the portable Nintendo system is called a DS, not a Gameboy now. If you really care, which clearly you do

Also, the DS line is on it's way out. Get a Switch.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm going to have to get a switch when the new Phoenix Wright comes out and I'm not happy about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mouse aiming is preschool easy. It's hitscan and absolute precision.

The real skill involved is your reaction time and hand/eye, which is the same poo poo it takes to be good with a controller. The skill is mostly transferable.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is no PSX.

(There was, it was a fancy PS2 that was also like a DVR or something, but it never replaced anything and they went on to PS3 for the console.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

The DS came out in 2004, so I'm not sure how your 13 year old friend knows about Gameboys.

Also, the DS came out in 2004, you've had more than enough time to learn that the portable Nintendo system is called a DS, not a Gameboy now. If you really care, which clearly you do

Also, the DS line is on it's way out. Get a Switch.

It must be great to come from a family where the kids get all the shiniest new toys?

Also I do not know wtf a switch is so I guess I'm a certified Old now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It must be great to come from a family where the kids get all the shiniest new toys?

Also I do not know wtf a switch is so I guess I'm a certified Old now.

As gamers are fond of pointing out, most gamers are Old. You just are not paying attention to games at all. The two most acclaimed games of 2017 are probably Zelda and Mario titles for the Switch.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I sometimes play Overwatch when I'm drunk, that's the hot new game right?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I sometimes play Overwatch when I'm drunk, that's the hot new game right?

yeah if you want to be constantly screamed at by 14 year olds for playing "wrong".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just now had to google wtf a “switch” is and frankly it seems like it’s a barrage of features that no one would want combined? But I guess someone does bc it’s a hot item??

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Feb 2, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well it is basically the Wii U + the Wii + DS capability, so you can't fault Nintendo for going "hey maybe people want that."

Plus it has the best-regarded Mario/Zelda games in nearly 20 years, both taking many risks with franchises long-thought to be stalled out and bereft of mechanical potential.

and then there's Labo:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just now had to google wtf a “switch” is and frankly it seems like it’s a barrage of features that no one would want combined? But I guess someone does bc it’s a hot item??

Its actually dope and I don’t know why the idea of playing mobile or on a console wouldn’t be wanted

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Well it is basically the Wii U + the Wii + DS capability, so you can't fault Nintendo for going "hey maybe people want that."

Plus it has the best-regarded Mario/Zelda games in nearly 20 years, both taking many risks with franchises long-thought to be stalled out and bereft of mechanical potential.

and then there's Labo:

it's poo poo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm pissed off that I have to buy a PS4 now that Red Dead Redemption 2 is being released. I'm a 38 year old professional and I'm going to take days off work to play a video game. I can't think of anything nerdier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm pissed off that I have to buy a PS4 now that Red Dead Redemption 2 is being released. I'm a 38 year old professional and I'm going to take days off work to play a video game. I can't think of anything nerdier than that.

I like good games and all but can you seriously not wait until the weekend?