Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I live in an apartment in the frozen north. However, I have a spare bathroom with a fan. If I put a towel on the bottom of the door and wear a mask, I should be alright with priming a single miniature in there, right?

Follow-up question: Is it possible to get a decent zenithal prime using spray cans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Am I in the minority in that I only own one Citadel painting handle?

I bought one but all of my current guys are on 40mm bases with washers inside so I'm still using magnet-covered pieces of cork.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oathin' cross postin'. Pleased with how my Red Goblin Biggit turned out, feels like I'm getting better. It's a Reaper Bones Goblin Leader, hence the polymer sealer, and the pillar was a way of dealing with the integral base while fitting him in with the Ogre army to which he belongs.

NTRabbit posted:

Oath Complete

Also claiming recipe for success:

Army Painter Red cape
VGA Dwarf Skin, with a coat of VMC Transparent Green for the skin
Reaper MSP HD Pale Saffron eyes
VGC Off White teeth
VMC Natural Steel weapon and armour, edge highlighted with Vallejo Liquid Silver
P3 Hammerfall Khaki for the hood and tunic
VMC Panzer Series Beige Brown for the gloves and dagger hilt
All washed in Citadel Nuln Oil
Sealed with Devlan Matisse Polymer Matt Varnish

The base was carved from standard Milliput
Painted in Vallejo Black Surface Primer, with Reaper MSP HD White edge highlights
Sealed with Pledge Future Shine for a glassy Obsidian finish
Surrounded by a small amount of Vallejo Earth Texture Dark Earth, and Woodland Scenics Light Green Field Grass

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 1, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Big McHuge posted:

I live in an apartment in the frozen north. However, I have a spare bathroom with a fan. If I put a towel on the bottom of the door and wear a mask, I should be alright with priming a single miniature in there, right?

Follow-up question: Is it possible to get a decent zenithal prime using spray cans?

Zenithal should work okay with spray cans. Just shake the hell out of the cans for a good 2 minutes first, and use light, quick passes of the spray from the recommended distance. You should be able to get a good simple zenithal shading that way.

As far as spraying in cold weather, do you have a space just outside your apartment door you can use? That would work much better than a bathroom for spraying. As long as it's not snowing or too windy, you should be able to step outside, get a few quick sprays done while the can is still warm, then come back inside to let the mini dry and the can warm back up.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

Am I in the minority in that I only own one Citadel painting handle?

I only own three, but that's because my local Warhammer can't keep them in stock. He told me he sold about a dozen out of a 15-piece shipment the day he unpacked them. Frickin' nerds, I tell ya....

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why are you nerds buying so many? You only have one butthole.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
If I bought more than one it would directly contribute to my already-poorly-controlled problem of painting something halfway then starting on something else. At least with the one handle that signifies This Is The One That You Will Paint Today, Stop loving Around.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

moths posted:

I have 10 handles. I bought 6, partially because I saw utility in woodworking, inherited 4. Maybe I'm just expansion oriented?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Thanks for the comments by the way! Attempt number 2, aka “how the hell do you do convincing Khorne scar tissue”.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tardigrade posted:

Thanks for the comments by the way! Attempt number 2, aka “how the hell do you do convincing Khorne scar tissue”.

Why wouldn't he just re-cut it before every battle? (Which pleaseth the Blood Lord and solves your problem.)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any advice for traveling with hobby supplies? I'm going to be spending a week and a half in a hotel room on the other side of the country and don't want to spend all my evenings watching TV. I'm planning on getting all the airbrush work done on a couple squads that I can bring, and I'll check a bag. My biggest question is about a palette, since I use a wet palette at home but I'm not sure it'll travel well. The citadel palette pad seems overpriced, but its also the only thing I can see on amazon smaller than 9x12.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone please recommend some Vallejo ‘must have’ colours for me? I definitely need a black, Brown, white, green, red and blue. I’m painting D&D minis if that matters.

I have a small stash of Tamiya acrylics but I’m finding they aren’t very good for brush work. They seemed fine when I was 12 but the more I read Vallejo seems like the best choice now.

Also open to getting Citadel if the colour from them is worth the extra price/bad pot.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Booley posted:

Does anyone have any advice for traveling with hobby supplies? I'm going to be spending a week and a half in a hotel room on the other side of the country and don't want to spend all my evenings watching TV. I'm planning on getting all the airbrush work done on a couple squads that I can bring, and I'll check a bag. My biggest question is about a palette, since I use a wet palette at home but I'm not sure it'll travel well. The citadel palette pad seems overpriced, but its also the only thing I can see on amazon smaller than 9x12.

Honestly, travel is the primary reason I got one of those Citadel pads. If they make them smaller than 9x12, I haven't managed to find them yet. I'd never pay the money to use the Citadel one as my only source, but for keeping in my travel stuff it wasn't too horrible.

As for the rest of the materials, I use a Plano 3780. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010XFKF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

More Oath Thread crossposting, mostly because I'm stupidly pleased with how this came out;

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!

Great fun to paint, nice amount of detail for a 50mm figure, so was able to spend a good amount of time on it. Almost entirely using Scalecolor now, so was also an exercise in getting used to them.

I'd also like to claim Show your working for this;

Fur painted in a gradient from Scalecolor Iroko to Birch; lots of drybrushing with some white at the tips. Shaded with some Gobi Brown, and Army Painter Dark Tone.

Added metals, Scalecolor Black/Heavy/Speed metal, with a thin coat of AP Strong tone, and some Dark Tone for the shadows.

Added the brown and blue leather, face details and bone/horn bits.

First full model done pretty much entirely with Scalecolor and it was a dream to work with (alongside army painter washes that is).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Thanks a ton, that's very useful - I'll try both things and see what I like.

I wouldn't wash a big vehicle like that all over; it will pool in ugly ways. I only wash the recesses on vehicles so I can get that shading but keep the base looking good.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I'm about to man up and get a Sparmax TC-620X or similar compressor. I'm going from the OP. Have a couple questions:

-The ones on Amazon are about $300, is this a good place to get one or is there a way to get one cheaper?
-If I'm willing to spend that kind of money is this one of the better ones I can get?

Pertinent details are that I have a Patriot 105 and an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS that I run at 50mm and 35m, respectively. A big pro on this is it looks like I can have them both connected at the same time.

Is this a good way to go?

Also here's a screamer killer I just finished - there's some messy bits but overall I'm pretty happy with it, sorry for lovely tablet pics:

Any C&C is welcome

vaginite fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 2, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Some guy on one of the 40k Facebooks posted this Mortarion Wing he is working on.

Yeah.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Richard Gray wins golden daemons like it’s a Sunday shopping run, you can see why.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Booley posted:

I just packed mine away or I'd take a photo, but I made a portable wet palette using a two-compartment plastic box for lunches/salads. Water goes in the little compartment, big chunk of foam goes in the big side, and I cut regular wet palette pads and sheets to sit on the foam. It took a bit of trial and error to get the amount of water in the foam right but it's worked well for me for a while now. I also made a little wooden box that holds the palette and model storage on one side and two racks of paint on the other but that's probably overkill.

I actually only made it for carrying my active painting projects around the house and painting on the sofa, but it travels pretty well. Just empty the water and wring the foam out before you travel and top it back up in your hotel room (and then if you're me, forget the actual wet palette sheets and have to use an empty blister pack of pills as a dry palette instead anyway).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I only own three, but that's because my local Warhammer can't keep them in stock. He told me he sold about a dozen out of a 15-piece shipment the day he unpacked them. Frickin' nerds, I tell ya....

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Holder-Clamp-Jewelers-Engraver/dp/B00ATGB9PU

I use one of these. My wife makes jewelry and ordered a spare one by mistake so I claimed it. I carved a notch into the ends of a few of the brass pins to ensure that the work doesn't slip out. Fully adjustable for all kinds of sizes.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Philthy posted:

Some guy on one of the 40k Facebooks posted this Mortarion Wing he is working on.

Yeah.

Oh, I was looking for another reason to throw all my stuff away and quit.

That's really fantastic work, even if it seems excessive. Missed opportunities to make the eyeball with a nurgle iris (Three iris openings) for the weirdness factor.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Major Spag posted:

Oh, I was looking for another reason to throw all my stuff away and quit.

That's really fantastic work, even if it seems excessive. Missed opportunities to make the eyeball with a nurgle iris (Three iris openings) for the weirdness factor.

Oh don’t you worry, he’s got you covered. This is his “pre-nurgle” wing. The other is going to be the gross weird one.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Philthy posted:

Yeah.

:aaaaa:

Is the eyeball actually reflective or is that OSL'ed (or whatever the term is), if the latter: what is it showing?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

I have such sights to show you.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

:aaaaa:

Is the eyeball actually reflective or is that OSL'ed (or whatever the term is), if the latter: what is it showing?

Yeah, he made a transparent/reflection effect of the eyeball.

I don't know what you'd call that. EJE? Eyeball Juice Effect.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Philthy posted:

Yeah, he made a transparent/reflection effect of the eyeball.

I don't know what you'd call that. EJE? Eyeball Juice Effect.

gently caress right off is what I'd call it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ijyt posted:

Richard Gray wins golden daemons like it’s a Sunday shopping run, you can see why.

I had no idea who this guy was.

However! He has a Patreon page!

Annnnd, he has a video of painting this eye start to finish!

Looks like it's $10 a month for access to his videos including him painting this wing and a bunch of PDF guides.

Does anyone know if you need to subscribe a minimum of months? I'd be more than willing to drop $10 to see that video and grab a pile of PDFs for a single month.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Last I checked it was still possible to subscribe, get the content, and then unsubscribe before being charged anything, but don't do that.

Patreon is month to month, you don't need to sign up for any minimums.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not looking to steal content. I'll sub over the weekend and get to watching.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

vaginite posted:

I'm about to man up and get a Sparmax TC-620X or similar compressor. I'm going from the OP. Have a couple questions:

-The ones on Amazon are about $300, is this a good place to get one or is there a way to get one cheaper?
-If I'm willing to spend that kind of money is this one of the better ones I can get?

Pertinent details are that I have a Patriot 105 and an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS that I run at 50mm and 35m, respectively. A big pro on this is it looks like I can have them both connected at the same time.

Is this a good way to go?

Also here's a screamer killer I just finished - there's some messy bits but overall I'm pretty happy with it, sorry for lovely tablet pics:

Any C&C is welcome

In the second picture it looks like he's attacking your hand.

So...congrats!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

did you check your butt because that's a mistake i made

I went up to the local game store to paint, and to my embarrassment, I pulled out a periwinkle blue silicone :airquote:paint handle:airquote: then looked to the audience and said,

"Then that means... Oh boy!” :kiddo:

but for real it may be in ur butt :dance:

Not there. But I did find the tv remote, so thanks.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That eyeball cape is ok. I guess.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What light box do you guys like to use when taking pictures of your miniatures?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My super budget version is an Ikea SKUBB Box (available singly in store) with white LED bars placed on top

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A cardboard box, a box cutter, and like 2 dollars worth of white fabric from JoAnns fabrics 😋

Though I certainly wouldn't mind something a little more structurally sound

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My super not-budget version for shooting on black is this:

You can switch everything else out for cheaper versions of the same, with constant lights instead of strobes, but the basic principals will still apply. Big diffused light in front of and reasonably close to the subject, hard light behind and to the side to give edge definition, a fill card on the other side to kick a little edge definition onto that side, background as far away as possible. Acrylic sheet for reflection optional. If you're using constant lights you'll need to close windows / turn off other room lights in order to keep them from contaminating your lights.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Red_Fred posted:

Can someone please recommend some Vallejo ‘must have’ colours for me? I definitely need a black, Brown, white, green, red and blue. I’m painting D&D minis if that matters.

Here are the most-recommended paints across all brands: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gold star. Just making sure Ivory and Hull Red were on there and they are.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My go to lately has been VMC Black Grey. Darker than VMC German Grey. Black Grey and a wash is black black.

Another loved paint is VMA Armour Brown.

Edit: fixes.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

dexefiend posted:

My go to lately has been VMC Black Grey. Darker than VNV. Black Grey and a wash is black black.

Another loved paint is VMA Armour Brown.

How does VMC Black Grey compare to VMC German Grey?