Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Das_Ubermike posted:

Anyone have any advice on how the hell you’re supposed to win as the Vodyani?

Same as any other race, secure a strategic mineral deposit and first tier of strategic weapons and armor, rush a fleet of ships with them, take out your nearest neighbor then snowball from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's what I don't get about the riftborn, is quite quickly the production needs of new pops become exorbitant, even with shipping them around to optimize things. Often it's just easier to let the minor race eat all that delicious food the rift make (but can't eat!) and basically have the minor race populate your entire empire.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Vodyani are also super dependent on a good start because they need minor civs so much.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Also while you technically, kind of, sort of, can move to a better system, doing so will make it so your faction quest literally never starts. Your bullshit hosed-to-death homeworld is the only thing that kicks it off in the first place.

It may be that ever leaving will make it not give you the NEXT quest but I've never not just alt+f4'ed every time I notice it's turn 20 and I haven't gotten my first thing yet so who knows.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't the quests start on turn2 always? Just wait one turn before leaving.

Edit: Another thing I don't get! Why the hell would anyone put up with Voydani siphoning? It's basically an act of war (or worse, an atrocity), every minor civ should immedeatly rise up and fight back the second you try it. With Broken Lords, at least they where aristocrats eating the peasants who can't leave, but there's nothing like that for Voydani. It'd make more sense if you had to do some sort of "Religious conversion" so the system is indoctrinated into believing it's all ok. But then that mechanic's kinda too much like the Culstists, hrmm.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 1, 2018

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just got the expansion.

Is it only me that's bothered by the fact that there are ships with 3 hard points (scouts) but they can't ever possibly be used??

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Quests start on turn 5.

Turns out only vaulters can use titanium as their system upgrade materials. Reminds me of holy material from endless legend.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

Don't the quests start on turn2 always? Just wait one turn before leaving.

Krinkle posted:

Quests start on turn 5.

It varies with game speed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, Vaulters expand with giant reuseable colony ship that blasts out a fully-functional colony every time it's used, with a golden age to boot? Nice. I appreciate that expansion is handled differently for so many races.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Sometimes I click watch battle, for the novelty of it, and I get bored and skip ahead to the summary. I mean nothing matters. Just tell me the score.

Then I spend 140 turns clicking next impulsively on battles and being forced to watch because you can only click it off before the battle and no matter how hard I slap myself for letting it happen again I will never remember by the next time a pirate wants to rumble.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Speedball posted:

Huh, Vaulters expand with giant reuseable colony ship that blasts out a fully-functional colony every time it's used, with a golden age to boot? Nice. I appreciate that expansion is handled differently for so many races.

What do people better than I am at this game think about their rate of expansion? It's a four turn cool down, then 10 turns before the colony is free. So effectively a new colony every 14 turns.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

What do people better than I am at this game think about their rate of expansion? It's a four turn cool down, then 10 turns before the colony is free. So effectively a new colony every 14 turns.

That's about how long it takes for me to develop an outpost as Lumeris. Usually about 10 turns after boosting it, less if I'm raiding a rival outpost.

Edit; the difference being my colonies are expensive as gently caress, whereas they can reuse their ship. Mm. Dunno. That feels like it's going to get absurd.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Important to note that you can just buyout the cooldown on the Argosy, which requires dust, titanium and hyperium, but Vaulters get bonuses to producing strategic resources anyway (it's kind of their thing) and if your economy is truly booming you can afford to do it. Plus, Lumeris still have to WAIT for an outpost to turn into a colony.

Another thing is that Vaulters can build portals between their systems at relatively little cost, which means you can send the Argosy in many directions with little problem.

I'd say that their rate of expansion is at least comparable to Unfallen early on.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone know if a friend can play with me using the DLC as long as I own it? I know that's how it worked for their past games but I'm just checking to make sure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm disappointed that pirates don't have capital ships... Or that I can't piss them off to give more competition in mid to late game... Especially on endless difficulty, everyone is always so peaceful...

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

The Argosy can also create a portal wherever it is, opening the door for some serious clown car shenanigans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Speedball posted:

Important to note that you can just buyout the cooldown on the Argosy, which requires dust, titanium and hyperium, but Vaulters get bonuses to producing strategic resources anyway (it's kind of their thing) and if your economy is truly booming you can afford to do it. Plus, Lumeris still have to WAIT for an outpost to turn into a colony.

Another thing is that Vaulters can build portals between their systems at relatively little cost, which means you can send the Argosy in many directions with little problem.

I'd say that their rate of expansion is at least comparable to Unfallen early on.

Other factions can start colonizing multiple systems at once though. It's simply to build a dozens of colony ships once you've settled in a bit, long before a Vaulter player would have that many resource, imo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pedestrian Xing posted:

The Argosy can also create a portal wherever it is, opening the door for some serious clown car shenanigans.

I'm at the point where the Argosy can equip four nodes....somehow.... (one is hidden on the bottom left nowhere near anything else, which I think is a bug, I only noticed it on the edit screen.

I then slapped +6 movement equipment on it. It has something stupid like a 34+ move rate. Coupled with portals is the ability to move from one side of the galaxy in no time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Has to be a system you have influence over, though, so you basically need to invade a system to set up a bridgehead and then you can swarm your Doomfleets in.

For me portals are best at allowing for a wide empire and running an economical defence while fighting a war, you can keep one or two big fleets to defend all your home systems regardless of how spread out they are. I don't really use them to pile into enemy neighborhoods that much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One thing that must be noted is Vaulters also have far more severe expansion penalties.

They're made to build tall and take prime planets instead of just grabbing everything.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002
Messing around with Boarding Pods. The Riftborn started a war with me and immediately I took ALL of their ships. They don't generate manpower very quickly at all so most of their ships were empty.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm confused. As vodyani I'm unable to non aggression pact with the pirates but when I was vaulters everyone I tried to send a pirate mark after said they had a non aggression pact with the pirates so it wouldn't work. Does the vaulter DLC disable itself if you aren't playing the vaulters?

If I"m vaulters then everyone is allowed to befriend pirates but if I am not then nobody is?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

So I got this game a few weeks back on sale, only really started playing this week and weekend. Just UE and Horatio so far. I've a few questions.

In general, is it better to settle the other planets in your home system first or go to other systems? I know that all the species play very differently so obviously what'd work for Vodyani won't for Riftborn and so on.

How do you really get a snowball going? I find that by the time I'm getting going, the AI is too. And then the games runs on too long and cripples my PC. Everyone says the AI is dumb in these games but it plays about as well as I do. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo as a vague suggestion for standard civs on the "eat food and gently caress" growth model, you want more systems before colonising your own system. you can only grow pops in a system so fast, and unused space on your planets is pointless. but if you have a full system, you're wasting growth and FIDSI-gain potential if you don't pop more planets in-system so you do need to pay attention

this is made a little trickier by the xeno-industrial infrastructure and just-in-time logistics system improvements, which give flat +industry based on how many planets you have colonised in a system; therefore, early colonisation on a five-planet system can make it an industrial powerhouse even without much other infrastructure or population. you also only get the resources from planets you've colonised, so that might also be a factor. plus there's some planets you just don't want people on yet, e.g. they give massive happiness maluses

in summary, colonisation is a land of contrasts. but i think most civs are designed to go wide rather than tall

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Stabbatical posted:

So I got this game a few weeks back on sale, only really started playing this week and weekend. Just UE and Horatio so far. I've a few questions.

In general, is it better to settle the other planets in your home system first or go to other systems? I know that all the species play very differently so obviously what'd work for Vodyani won't for Riftborn and so on.

How do you really get a snowball going? I find that by the time I'm getting going, the AI is too. And then the games runs on too long and cripples my PC. Everyone says the AI is dumb in these games but it plays about as well as I do. :v:

Depends on the quality of planets involved but in general, you want to get as many systems as possible while staying just above happiness thresholds, you can always colonise the other planets in those systems later. However, it's significantly faster to build colonies on other planets and if you have improvements like the +10 industry per planet and +10 industry per temperature, spending 1-3 turns to colonise a planet that gives another +20 industry is very much worth it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

For mid to late game, what are your terraforming goals? I've airways wanted to keep hot planets hot because of the awesome industry bonus and governer bonus (and vice versa with cold and science), but I often grow so wide I can't keep up with the happiness malus. Ultimately, would terraforming everything to temperate be the better play for more pop and happiness?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Terraforming is often very much NOT worth it (imo). Exceptions exist in order to get rid of horrendous happiness malus' on large size planets (this usually means taking one step towards terran/temperate), but generally the huge industry cost is better put to something else, doubly so if you had to go out of your way to research the drat thing. Actually turning hell-world-systems into utopias is more crazily expensive than it first seems, as you usually have to take 2-3 terraforms to get there. It's so out there that it's past sandbox play and strait into poo poo-that-needs-an-achievement-for-this.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Make sure to not overcolonize without having some way of mitigating the approval penalty. It's okay to skip over a system if it will not provide you any real bonuses with any features that belong to that system. The left side of the tech tree is where you find the approval and colony increasing techs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

terraforming allows you to fit more horatios on a planet, and therefore, is required

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Those 4x alchemist guys who suddenly stopped making guides eight months ago would always prioritize colonizing a free planet over even a scout. You get like 20 worth of fids even if nobody works it, just by having it, no? Or is a planet with nobody on it worthless?

They were always so excited to get a system with multiple planets but I was never sure that's how it worked. I just trusted them?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Xeno-Industrial Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships, the two key early-game improvements, give you 10 industry (X-II) or science (PPP) per colonized planet, with another 10 if the planet's temperate and a further 10 if it's fertile. Since colonizing a temperate/fertile planet only costs 160 industry, it pays for itself in a mere 6 turns if you have just one of those improvements. It's a huge boost to your economy at that point in the game and one of the major reasons that the Horatio are so terrible: they start with a planet that's neither temperate nor fertile.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Note: The biggest exception on X-II and the PPP are the Riftborn because they follow a reversed habitability model (they can colonize sterile worlds on turn 1 and need research to inhabit non-sterile worlds), they can be decent if you have toxic worlds or once you have three or four planets in a system colonized (every bit helps when riftborn pop starts to get expensive) but you should generally put them off for other improvements.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I thought for Riftborn buying pop was better than most of the early game improvements?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Fhqwhgads posted:

I thought for Riftborn buying pop was better than most of the early game improvements?

It is, but there's not many early industrial improvements so their growth can sag at the moment other empires starts to pick up. Anything helps in that period.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
With the exception of systems that you set up specifically to export Riftborn pop, they fall off in value pretty quickly. The second pop is a great deal at 150 industry and the third is better than most improvements at 250, but the 350 that the fourth costs is often better spent on something else. It can be worthwhile to delay X-II and PPP in favor of the fourth pop for the reasons that The Unlife Aquatic just pointed out, but there are a number of improvements that are more valuable. Some of the food improvements, interestingly enough, are strong as soon as you have a single biological population in the system (they do nothing before then).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Serephina posted:

Terraforming is often very much NOT worth it (imo). Exceptions exist in order to get rid of horrendous happiness malus' on large size planets (this usually means taking one step towards terran/temperate), but generally the huge industry cost is better put to something else, doubly so if you had to go out of your way to research the drat thing. Actually turning hell-world-systems into utopias is more crazily expensive than it first seems, as you usually have to take 2-3 terraforms to get there. It's so out there that it's past sandbox play and strait into poo poo-that-needs-an-achievement-for-this.

I do terraforming this like every single game (well, except Vodyani and Riftborn, for obvious reasons). I'm pretty sure it does slow me down a bit, but it's never prevented me from winning. And once you get enough bonuses stacked up, population slots are the most valuable thing there is. I think Boreal and Jungle are probably more useful than the temperate planets though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the easy-tier temperates (terran/ocean etc) get another pop slot above the easy-tier extremes (boreal/jungle), which i guess would only be worth exploiting if they have great anomalies and resources

also, food-producing fertile temperates become fantastic with that building that transforms excess food into production. but that's game-won territory

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

HundredBears posted:

It's a huge boost to your economy at that point in the game and one of the major reasons that the Horatio are so terrible: they start with a planet that's neither temperate nor fertile.

They could fix this by giving them a special XII that works on hot planets like the Sophons do with cold planets. Not sure why they haven't really.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why am i next to the cravers and vodyani every single loving game

does the placement of a civ in the "pick opponents" section of starting a new game actually matter for their placement in the galaxy? i have literally never started next to the unfallen or horatio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also on a similar note, what's the deal with the AI demanding tribute, not sending a demand, receiving tribute anyway and then bitching next turn about not getting tribute?

is ES2 still in such a lovely situation even, after its first expansion, that diplomacy doesn't work?