Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

nah its still dice. you can tell because all the bugs make no sense ex: after a match clicking the quit button wont quit until after the next map loads.

at least they figured out how to do an in-game server browser instead of making to re-launch all the assets in the memory after every round. Definitely couldn't just re-use needed assets loaded in to memory or run a checksum against them to make sure no bits flipped. They probably had garbage memory management and leaks all over the place and the full re-launched covered that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

at least they figured out how to do an in-game server browser instead of making to re-launch all the assets in the memory after every round. Definitely couldn't just re-use needed assets loaded in to memory or run a checksum against them to make sure no bits flipped. They probably had garbage memory management and leaks all over the place and the full re-launched covered that up

and yet battlelog was so infinitely better than bf1 interface that it's not even funny

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

battlelog was the one that ran in your web browser through a plugin right? when i played bf3 with a friend of mine it was possibly the worst server browser id ever used in a game and it would crash a lot

i have a hard time believing theres much worse

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

battlelog was the one that ran in your web browser through a plugin right? when i played bf3 with a friend of mine it was possibly the worst server browser id ever used in a game and it would crash a lot

i have a hard time believing theres much worse

yeah that was web server browser for bf3 and bf4 with plugin. what we have now in bf1 is an in game menu that is a castrated parody of that and cannot even reliably connect you to servers or your friends. it has way less features and is so much less reliable (at end of life stage, years in the development) than battlelog after the first couple of days after the release that is not even funny. also i dont quite remember bf3 or battlelog crashing on me all that much once the early bugfixes were in

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sweet new feature in the skype for business jan 2018 update, it tells you how terrible it is for mac right in the dock icon

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how the gently caress is microsoft so bad at software updating

still can't do in app update fetching in ssms, literally tells you there's an update and when you click it opens a browser window to the download

then if something halts the update, no option to kill the blocking process and you can only quit the updater. no manually quitting the blocking process and continuing, you have to restart the update process from the beginning.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they still dump most of the assets each round which is I suspect the cause of the inability to quit until the next round loads. gotta wait for the load to complete so we know what we have to dump on quit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also I suspect the current in game ui in BF1 is the battlelog web ui but displayed in some hacky as gently caress internal browser control.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

how the gently caress is microsoft so bad at software updating

still can't do in app update fetching in ssms, literally tells you there's an update and when you click it opens a browser window to the download

then if something halts the update, no option to kill the blocking process and you can only quit the updater. no manually quitting the blocking process and continuing, you have to restart the update process from the beginning.

Partly it's that SSMS hasn't had a proper dev team in a decade and it's practically a miracle that it even tells you that there's an update. But mostly it's the lasting legacy of Rob Mensching, who, as I've previously mentioned, should be buried under printouts of wix files and burned to death.

Fiedler fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the SQL server and VS teams seem to be political enemies and SSMS is a joint venture between the two

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even then its still so much better than everything else in the market

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

even then its still so much better than everything else in the market

by loving miles

every db management tool is loving garbage compared to ssms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

also I suspect the current in game ui in BF1 is the battlelog web ui but displayed in some hacky as gently caress internal browser control.

this is my suspicion too. the worst new feature i know of is having a short window to quit after the map - if you click too late, it will quit only after loading assets of the new map. used to be impossible to quit after a map at all, took months to patch iirc

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

the SQL server and VS teams seem to be political enemies and SSMS is a joint venture between the two

Eh, I'd categorize it more as a case of both the SQL server and the VS teams giving no fucks about SSMS. But yeah, they clearly don't play nice as SQL forked VS Code to make SQL Ops Studio.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

by loving miles

what exactly allow ssms?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Last Chance posted:

sweet new feature in the skype for business jan 2018 update, it tells you how terrible it is for mac right in the dock icon

thanks this reminded me to uninstall Skype because teams is much better. Make sure you're on version 1.1.whatever its way better than the prior versions. They were having problems with the updater on Mac so you might need to manually update from the o365 site

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

by loving miles

the only other good db client i've used is psql, and that's a terminal-only thing that comes with postgres. why are they all so bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

Eh, I'd categorize it more as a case of both the SQL server and the VS teams giving no fucks about SSMS. But yeah, they clearly don't play nice as SQL forked VS Code to make SQL Ops Studio.

no they have different views on how the database should be used. VS team thinks you will only ever do application first design and that the db wont ever exist without the app. This is totally retarded but its how the VS db tools are designed. They work fine the way they're designed but when you use a db that was designed for data first the vs tools totally poo poo the bed.

likewise the sql server team (correctly) believes in a data first approach. they also don't give any shits about making things easier for developers so there are no source control or schema versioning tools built into sql server or ssms.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

thanks this reminded me to uninstall Skype because teams is much better. Make sure you're on version 1.1.whatever its way better than the prior versions. They were having problems with the updater on Mac so you might need to manually update from the o365 site

I uninstalled s4b the day the initial teams beta came out.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Fiedler posted:

SQL Ops Studio.

didn't even know about this, looks neat, thanks

Shaggar posted:

no they have different views on how the database should be used. VS team thinks you will only ever do application first design and that the db wont ever exist without the app. This is totally retarded but its how the VS db tools are designed. They work fine the way they're designed but when you use a db that was designed for data first the vs tools totally poo poo the bed.

likewise the sql server team (correctly) believes in a data first approach. they also don't give any shits about making things easier for developers so there are no source control or schema versioning tools built into sql server or ssms.

man, i just want to be able to organize stored procedures into folders, that you can't is just loving stupid

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

That's an odd take. Which tools (e.g. EF, database projects, schema compare) are you categorizing under "VS team" and which are you categorizing under "SQL Server team?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
VS, entity framework, and vs db project stuff are vs team and sql server and SSMS are sql server team.

having talked to someone on the vs team about this they really cant fathom why the application wouldn't always have total control over the db.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
keep in mind that SSMS is the management tool for sql server so the sql server team has incentives to keep it up to date with what they're doing from a server management standpoint. the developer focused components of SSMS are what continues to suffer. I mean it wasn't until like 6 months ago that they bothered to fix intellisense and that was a configuration error. intellisense was fully complete feature wise but SSMS defaulted it to not work because of the default configuration. they refused to spend 30 seconds to change the configuration value and it was broken for years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's also something you can partially blame the vs team for cause why in the gently caress did they create an intellisense mode that shows you whats available but doesn't complete it for you?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
pro-tip, have work pay for sql prompt and use something that blows ssms intellisense out of the loving water

intellisense for vs is awesome, it's seriously lacking for ssms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they work pretty much the same for me in that they both love to bring in poo poo totally unrelated to what you're typing. ex: vs bringing in every class from the included namespaces and ssms including every schema object and reserved word.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

VS, entity framework, and vs db project stuff are vs team and sql server and SSMS are sql server team.

having talked to someone on the vs team about this they really cant fathom why the application wouldn't always have total control over the db.

If you had put the database projects under SQL Server team then I would have agreed with you. But the database projects just model a database without any reference to an application... it's difficult to see how that's app-first.

Also the database projects are owned by the SQL Server team and have been since ~2010, when they were revised and rebranded as SSDT.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

premium quality hardware

quote:

Hundreds of Surface Pro 4 owners have been complaining about screen flickering issues on their tablets. A thread over at Microsoft’s support forums shows that the problems have been occurring for more than a year, and most devices affected are out of warranty. Dubbed “Flickergate,” a website to report the issues claims at least 1,600 Surface Pro 4 owners have experienced the screen flickering problems.

The flickering appears to be a hardware issue, which occurs after the device heats up during use. “We are aware that some customers have experienced a screen flicker on Surface Pro 4 and are monitoring the situation closely,” says a Microsoft spokesperson, in a statement to The Verge. Customers impacted by this should contact Microsoft support.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O5ntJN3vWM
Some owners have even started freezing their tablets to stop the screen flickering temporarily. “I get about half an hour’s use out of it after ten minutes in the freezer,” says one owner. Another user posted a video showing how the flickering stops as soon as the Surface Pro 4 is placed in a freezer. The Verge understands that the screen flickering problem is a hardware issue that Microsoft won’t be able to fix with a software update. It’s currently affecting less than 1 percent of all Surface Pro 4 devices.

While Microsoft recommends that owners contact their support lines, devices are generally out of warranty when the problems start occurring. Some affected users have reported paying $800 for an out-of-warranty exchange with Microsoft to fix the hardware issue. “Surface Pro’s are marketed and priced as premium devices,” says the Flickergate group. “Microsoft should therefore respond accordingly by acknowledging the issue and offering a solution. If the issue is a hardware fault, then Microsoft should recall affected devices.”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a lot of databases really are just backing stores for a single application. the arbitrary impedance problems with using relational dbs that way are a big factor in why people have moved towards schema-less databases, even though the idea of a schema actually fits pretty well with a lot of application programming languages

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

have they tried wrapping the surface pro in a towel and slamming it on their desks?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wasn't there also a surface pro that could exceed the draw of its charger because they shoehorned a :pcgaming: video chipset in it

e:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Surface Book 2 is aimed at graphic pros, but with a stout NVIDIA 1060 GPU, it's a tempting gaming machine, too. As we observed during our review, gaming drains the battery pretty fast, though. Worse, The Verge noticed that the power supply can't actually charge the battery fast enough to prevent it from draining in some cases.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 1, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fun fact: ports on the surface dock, especially the display port, will just die at random. they'll stay dead until you do some arcane combination of powering/unpowering and docking/undocking that causes the thing to reset, at which point they'll work, until they don't again.

the surface brand has been nothing but poorly made trash since its inception, but people like them.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

fun fact: ports on the surface dock, especially the display port, will just die at random. they'll stay dead until you do some arcane combination of powering/unpowering and docking/undocking that causes the thing to reset, at which point they'll work, until they don't again.

the surface brand has been nothing but poorly made trash since its inception, but people like them.

usually powering off the dock does it for me. but yeah microsoft is terrible at hardware (and also software) big surprise

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

In a support article for service and support of Windows and Office, Microsoft has revealed you'll need to upgrade to Windows 10 if you want the latest version of Office without subscribing to the company's Office 365 service. It's a move that's clearly designed to push businesses that are holding off on Office 365 into subscriptions, as the standalone Office 2019 software will only be supported on Windows 10 and not Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 machines. Microsoft is also altering the support lifecycle for Office 2019, so it will receive 5 years of mainstream support and then "approximately 2 years of extended support."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

An organization that favors stability and perpetual licenses that deploys Windows 10 LTSC 2018 and Office 2019 will, in late 2025, be in the peculiar situation of having desktop systems that remain supported for three more years, but with no supported version of Office to actually run on them: Office 2019's support will have expired, and Office 2022 will require the use of Windows 10 LTSC 2021. One wonders what these systems are supposed to do for the final three years of their supported life.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

infernal machines posted:

the bar for windows tablets is not very high

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

loll

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

this is a good move. imagine having to support legacy software because some bookkeeping agency in Idaho doesn’t want to buy new computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Corporations refusing to update their 7 year old OS to a 4 year old OS?

gently caress 'em.