Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

my extremely scientific method of looking at the most recent 13 Legacy decks with Omniscience on mtgtop8 found 5 with Cunning Wish and 8 without, so fair enough. Most of the Wish decks didn't have Release, but cunning for the bounce spell is obviously good enough in this scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah no one plays "Omniscience" decks anymore; they play Sneak and Show with some number of Omniscience in them. Basically ever since Dig Through Time happened people stopped messing around with cool win conditions and just slam an emrakul into play

It's why I still play monoblue Omniscience and destroy people who have Pithing Needle and other worthless cards in after Game 1. :ghost:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

It's why I still play monoblue Omniscience and destroy people who have Pithing Needle and other worthless cards in after Game 1. :ghost:

Mind sharing your list? I've been eyeballing mono blue (maybe red splash) as my third legacy deck

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Mind sharing your list? I've been eyeballing mono blue (maybe red splash) as my third legacy deck

I say monoblue, because you only have 2 Volcs for lucious sideboard action. I play the Dream Halls because Sanctum Prelate on 3 is a huge dick. :mad: Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. Show and Tell + Omniscience + Cunning Wish = ballgame.

Deck: UR Omnitell

//Main
2 Ancient Tomb
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Brainstorm
4 Cunning Wish
2 Dream Halls
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Force of Will
4 Impulse
6 Island
4 Omniscience
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Show and Tell
2 Spell Pierce
1 Split Decision
2 Volcanic Island

//Sideboard
3 Blood Moon
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Firemind's Foresight
1 Flusterstorm
1 Intuition
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pyroclasm
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Release the Ants
1 Sudden Shock
1 Wipe Away

Display deck statistics

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what does your firemind's foresight chain look like game 1? or is it just for when you've boarded in an intuition

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

what does your firemind's foresight chain look like game 1? or is it just for when you've boarded in an intuition

Cunning Wish -> Firemind's Foresight (Search up Cunning Wish, Split Decision, Brainstorm) -> Cunning Wish (holding priority) cast Split Decision targeting Cunning Wish. Vote "Duplication". Cunning Wish (copy) for Eladamri's Call -> Cunning WIsh (original) for Release the Ants. -> Eladamri's Call for Emrakul. if they have less than 15 life with no flying blocker, apply a liberal application of flying spaghetti monster. If not, Brainstorm Emrakul back on top, Release the Ants until dead.

Sometimes you don't have the opportunity to Emrakul them, because they thought they were clever in having Ashen Rider or something, and you just have to Release the Ants them to death at instant speed in response to their trigger.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 31, 2018

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Cunning Wish -> Firemind's Foresight (Search up Cunning Wish, Split Decision, Brainstorm) -> Cunning Wish (holding priority) cast Split Decision targeting Cunning Wish. Vote "Duplication". Cunning Wish (copy) for Eladamri's Call -> Cunning WIsh (original) for Release the Ants. -> Eladamri's Call for Emrakul. if they have less than 15 life with no flying blocker, apply a liberal application of flying spaghetti monster. If not, Brainstorm Emrakul back on top, Release the Ants until dead.

Sometimes you don't have the opportunity to Emrakul them, because they thought they were clever in having Ashen Rider or something, and you just have to Release the Ants them to death at instant speed in response to their trigger.

Thanks for the list and running through this. Looks about what I was planning to build give or take a few cards. Thank you!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Thanks for the list and running through this. Looks about what I was planning to build give or take a few cards. Thank you!

We have experimented with playing Meditate instead of Fact or Fiction, but I prefer just seeing more cards since Cunning Wish is the win condition and you're looking for one card.

Plus, Fact or Fiction is hella sweet.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

that's reasonable. The intuition lines work if if you only have a dream halls out

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
So I booked myself into Grand Prix Lyon (which I'm now partially regretting) and I don't have a modern deck. I have been planning to buy and learn Vizier Knightfall but with how close the tournament is I don't think this is really feasible. Would buying Naya Burn or a similar linear cheap (ish) deck be a good choice for a grand prix. I have almost zero experience in Modern so I'm really looking for something that can tide me over for that weekend and that I can quickly learn, but isn't too much of monetary investment. There seems to be some good modern players in this thread so happy to heed your advice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You or someone else is dropping sixty euros on a grand prix for a format that you have no experience in and the tournament is in two weeks.

Burn is probably your best bet for a deck that's easy to learn, competitive, and comparitively cheap. The other easy option is affinity, but that deck costs more and its components don't transfer to other decks (Mox Opal is played in only one other deck).

Burn is pretty simple, but you will have to learn when it's better to point a Lightning Bolt at a creature instead of your opponent and how to not blow your wad too soon against a deck like Death's Shadow. If you end up facing a lifegain deck like Soul Sisters, you're going to have the ever loving poo poo annoyed out of you.

The format is diverse and there's a lot of decks out there. You have a lot of homework to do to vet ready for the tournament. Figure out what kind of deck you want to play by the end of the week. Spend whatever you are willing to by Monday and beg for and borrow cards from anyone you know. Print proxies of a decklist you plan on taking and play as much Modern as you can stand to and as against as many decks you can. Be prepared to get extra cards for tech or sideboard options as you playtest. When you're not playing, watch videos of your archetype played by professional players and pay close attention to their decisions and why they made them.

Don't get too concerned about every possible matchup in the format. Spend most of your time learning how to beat the tier-one decks and any decks that have huge hurdles for you to overcome like lifegain strategies. The decks you'll have to learn how to beat are going to be Jeskai control, affinity, Grixis Death's Shadow, Eldrazi Tron, green Urzatron, UR storm, burn, humans, and Titan Scapeshift.

glhf

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Stangg posted:

So I booked myself into Grand Prix Lyon (which I'm now partially regretting) and I don't have a modern deck. I have been planning to buy and learn Vizier Knightfall but with how close the tournament is I don't think this is really feasible. Would buying Naya Burn or a similar linear cheap (ish) deck be a good choice for a grand prix. I have almost zero experience in Modern so I'm really looking for something that can tide me over for that weekend and that I can quickly learn, but isn't too much of monetary investment. There seems to be some good modern players in this thread so happy to heed your advice.

I think Tron is in the same price range as naya burn (because of fetches) and requires no brain power to pilot at all. You have 3-4 different flavors you can go with in Mono G, GB, GR, and Eldrazi Tron, which G and GR probably being the easiest to play and GB the "hardest"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
GB Tron is just green Tron with Dismember.

Nope, I stand corrected. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-tron-16063#paper

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can trade into this weekend and go from there between Tron (probably GB because I like having access to black discard) and Burn. I fully understand how vast modern is in terms of what I need to learn, I'm not expecting to do particularly well but I like large events and I think my general skill can carry me a little. I'm basically going because I was trying to decide whether I should go and reserved some hotels on bookings.com but mis-clicked one and paid for it by mistake, so I was locked in from that point. It'll be a fun weekend regardless and a good learning experience, plus the playmat is the new negate art which I think is gorgeous.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Here's two really bad one-of funsies suggestions for your GB Tron deck: Villainous Wealth and/or Torment of Hailfire. Slightly less bad variation: Black Suns Zenith

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Archenteron posted:

Slightly less bad variation: Black Suns Zenith

Why do I have an erection?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I feel like Tron should appeal to me as someone who likes casting large, otherwise-impractical spells, but whenever I look at a decklist for it I just shrug.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Here's two really bad one-of funsies suggestions for your GB Tron deck: Villainous Wealth and/or Torment of Hailfire. Slightly less bad variation: Black Suns Zenith

villainous wealth would be fuckin hilarious

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm waiting for some parts for UW & (modern) miracles to show up, I think I am going to sleeve this up this week:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm waiting for some parts for UW & (modern) miracles to show up, I think I am going to sleeve this up this week:

Affinity seems like it will absolutely trash you

E: turn 2 souls is definitely a thing though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think i have literally that entire deck outside of a couple Garruks so lemme know how it goes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Affinity seems like it will absolutely trash you

E: turn 2 souls is definitely a thing though

trying to find room to go up to the whole playset of souls without cutting a land. that card is bonkers right now, and seems nuts if you can make them 4/4 tramplers

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

trying to find room to go up to the whole playset of souls without cutting a land. that card is bonkers right now, and seems nuts if you can make them 4/4 tramplers

I would say the singleton Thragtusk or Sun Titan but they both seem decent in this deck. The Thragtusk is maybe a little worse since you can't recur it? I dunno, it's a pretty silly list regardless (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would cut a knight since it's basically just a giant dude in this list

also this list 100% needs a Township, especially since you're running knights

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I really really really like how goofy this decklist is. It uses half a dozen of my favorite modern cards in it. :swoon:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm newly back to mtg, could you see if I understand that deck right?

Try to flip Jace and get big fatties in your graveyard along with living end. Jace's second ability lets you flash back Living End for free.

There's another 2cc way to get grisly into play which nets you lots of cards, which might let you combo out?

There's also a Kiki Jiki 2 card infinite attackers combo on turn 5 (4 with spirit guide).

Anything else?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm newly back to mtg, could you see if I understand that deck right?

Try to flip Jace and get big fatties in your graveyard along with living end. Jace's second ability lets you flash back Living End for free.

There's another 2cc way to get grisly into play which nets you lots of cards, which might let you combo out?

There's also a Kiki Jiki 2 card infinite attackers combo on turn 5 (4 with spirit guide).

Anything else?

It is every viable combo deck modern has ever had shoved together in 1 deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like how there's a turn 2 kill in there.

Turn 1: Faithless Looting discarding Kiki Combo
Turn 2: Spirit Guide into As Foretold + Living End.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ooh I missed As Foretold combo with suspend spells

E: if you Goryo's vengeance Jace into play and transform him, he stays after EOT since he phased out for a bit and forgets the vengeance status yeah?

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 2, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BrianBoitano posted:

Ooh I missed As Foretold combo with suspend spells

E: if you Goryo's vengeance Jace into play and transform him, he stays after EOT since he phased out for a bit and forgets the vengeance status yeah?

Yeah. And for flipped Jace to cast the suspend spells, you have to have As Foretold out. Jace just lets you cast them, but As Foretold lets you cast them for no cost since technically, they don't have a cost at all.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Wow the top 4 most played decks at the PT are Affinity, Burn, Humans and GB Tron. I guess I better get moving quickly on Tron pieces if I want to get them at a reasonable price for Lyon.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Stangg posted:

Wow the top 4 most played decks at the PT are Affinity, Burn, Humans and GB Tron. I guess I better get moving quickly on Tron pieces if I want to get them at a reasonable price for Lyon.

Where are you seeing this list?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
They did a run down just before the modern section, no numbers just the top 4 most popular

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Stangg posted:

They did a run down just before the modern section, no numbers just the top 4 most popular

Ah kk, I totally forgot this was taking place in Spain haha. Catching it on stream now!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

after a bunch of (bad) testing on Xmage, this is what I ended up sleeving up:

Feels like a 2-2 deck to me, but we'll see. Next week I should have some version of UW miracles ready to go; why are colonnades a million dollars.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty huge punt not playing any lands, imo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

pretty huge punt not playing any lands, imo

if I can dodge the judge calls for a 38 card deck, then I'll just spend the day wishing I'd played manaless dredge instead (manaless dredge in modern is a thing some guy at my LGS tries to do sometimes)

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if I can dodge the judge calls for a 38 card deck, then I'll just spend the day wishing I'd played manaless dredge instead (manaless dredge in modern is a thing some guy at my LGS tries to do sometimes)

Hey I have those zambo tokens too!

Do you happen to have the list on the modern manaless dredge?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thisuck posted:

Hey I have those zambo tokens too!

Do you happen to have the list on the modern manaless dredge?

I don't, I want it too, it's on my mind to get it from him next time I see him. I don't think he's done especially well with it.

I went... 0-2-1 with dark bant pile, but I don't feel bad about it. Match 1 was the draw, against Abzan value. Game 1 took forever but I powered out Garruk & Sorin which stuck around and eventually took the game over. Game 2 I lost in turns to beats. Round 2 was Affinity; as expected this was pretty miserable. I got steamrolled game 1, won game 2 behind a stony silence, lost game 3 when Silence got blown up and I had no way to deal with a resolved Etched Champion. Round 3 was storm. I kept a hand that I would have kept blind, and wouldn't have kept in a competitive environment knowing I was facing storm (which I did). I lost that game on turn 3. I won game 2 with scooze / relic; game 3 I didn't have quite enough mana and lost with a relic on the board. I probably could have played smarter here, but not sure it would have mattered.

Overall, I think that some version of this deck is probably workable; the synergies feel strong, but if the plan is really tokens + Garruk I should probably commit to that harder, and lose some of the bant cuteness with knights and cut the dork count. The games were fun, but my record was poo poo, and I had several situations where I had a ton of mana and nothing useful to do with it. On the other hand, I did beat Affinity one game with a turn 3 sun titan which was sort of hilarious (backed up by stony silence). There's probably some kind of tier-2 abzan tokens deck out there, and some kind of tier-2 abzan big mana deck. Mashing them together, less good.

I just pulled the trigger on everything else I needed for jeskai control and some of the UW miracles lists that have been floating around, so I'll probably be on to that for a while and circle back to this when I get bored. I show up with weird piles 25% of the time; it amuses me, and people play around all sorts of weird bullshit that I'm not actually running. I don't have any intellectual problem with playing tier 1 decks, but with the exception of Jeskai, nothing that's even debately tier 1 at this point really strikes my fancy.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
General suggestion for fellow 42 Land Seismic Swans players:

Make sure 4 of your taplands are Wandering Fumaroles (These have given me a hell of a lot of extra pressure if I can't stick a bird but I have Seismic out, just swing for days and nuke all creatures, or another maindeck answer against Leyline) (Comedy synergy side or mainboard tech in conjunction with this, for dealing with Lantern decks - Oona's Grace)

Optional but potentially amusing:

Replace 1 Serum Visions with a Faithless Looting.
Replace an Anger of the Gods with a Blasphemous Act (this is the :getin: of :getin:s with a swan out)
Maindeck a Leyline of Anticipation for peak :wtc:

I beat an Esper Control player who turn 0 Leyline of Sanctity'd me game 1 by virtue of beating him and his planeswalkers with swans and fumaroles, shooting my fumaroles to death so they wouldn't get Pathed, (three of my swans were Detention Sphered), shooting down every token from his Bitterblossom (he cast Bitterblossom and Batterskull in the same turn, I cast Swan #4 on mine, he sighed and cast Verdict. The batterskull did nothing for the rest of the game), sticking the Leyline down later and him letting it resolve (I think it was a more removal and less counter heavy control deck), and a turn or 2 later slipping in Day's Undoing on his end step, keeping myself from getting decked and redrawing two of my Fumaroles. He doesn't have enough answers to those and his Bitterblossom killing him, and I take game 1 with 4 minutes to go on the round clock.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 4, 2018