Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We did scenario 72 last night, and it was a doozy. We barely scraped by, so many oozes, probably killed about 20-25 oozes that kept spawning, then splitting, then healing, and we'd kill a few, and then they'd split again! None of us were using classes with AOEs, which I feel is going to be an issue going forth. I was the only person left not exhausted at the end, and that was only because I kept turning invisible with Eclipse class so I couldn't be killed. Closest we've come to actually losing a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

King of Bleh posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s a clause in the targeting rules that you can’t target an enemy twice in the same attack action, don’t have them at hand to verify though

You are correct. By the same token applying "Add Target" to an AoE attack doesn't let you target an enemy in the AoE twice, it just lets you target another enemy within range outside of the AoE. So Impaling Eruption hits up to 4 different enemies once.

Re. Spellweaver question, my Spellweaver would aim to use about 1 loss card per rest cycle before and after using Reviving Aether. The Spellweaver has a big gap in strength between her discard and loss cards, so playing safe will result in pretty subpar performance - basically amounting to doing 3 damage at range every turn and nothing else.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So the website controls enemy decks and attack modifiers, but can anything replace player attack modifiers?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 1, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spellweaver should probably use a loss card on turn 1 if it's a "you get mobbed right at the start" scenario. Really helps clear out the trash.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

OgreNoah posted:

We did scenario 72 last night, and it was a doozy. We barely scraped by, so many oozes, probably killed about 20-25 oozes that kept spawning, then splitting, then healing, and we'd kill a few, and then they'd split again! None of us were using classes with AOEs, which I feel is going to be an issue going forth. I was the only person left not exhausted at the end, and that was only because I kept turning invisible with Eclipse class so I couldn't be killed. Closest we've come to actually losing a mission.

Urgh yea that one is tough. Make sure the oozes are spawning in "empty" tiles. Terrain, traps and even money are not empty. But yea, oozes are the worst enemy in the game. The spawning action card comes up way too often.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Knucklebear posted:

What are your secrets???

Again, it's probably more to do with the fact that we need to up the difficulty level, but when we first started playing she rolled a Tinkerer, I rolled a Brute and I also took the recommended items for my Brute initially and got a healing potion instead of a stam potion. Both her healing and my potion, coupled with the smaller enemy count in 2p, let me be much more aggressive.

After a couple of scenarios she wasn't feeling the Tinkerer and shelved her for a Spellweaver, but by that time I was able to afford an Iron Helmet and Hide Armor to help with damage mitigation and switched to a Stam Potion.

Beyond that, we just communicate. We coordinate so I can generate air for Cracking Air (which was also absolutely instrumental in keeping damage down since it turns the SW AoE attacks into orbital strikes and dead guys can't hurt you), and we talk about positioning and initiative order so we can manipulate the monsters into moving toward and attacking me only. I won't lose cards unless I absolutely have to, or the hit is so large (+50% of my max HP) that it would be stupid not to, but the latter situation hasn't come up super often with the Brute.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Urgh yea that one is tough. Make sure the oozes are spawning in "empty" tiles. Terrain, traps and even money are not empty. But yea, oozes are the worst enemy in the game. The spawning action card comes up way too often.

When we last battled oozes, all they did was re-produce and kill themselves over and over. We never even had to kill them, they just split every turn and hurt themselves until they died. Since it was a timed scenario where we only had to survive until the end of turn 10 to win, we just ignored them completely.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Kerro posted:

Yeah we've done all that we could on a single playthrough, unlocked all classes and envelopes. We might not have drawn all the city and road events due to rng but we've played well over 150 games. I think we had all the clues just weren't sure what to do with them.

In the spirit of non-disclosure for the meta-puzzle, I won't put the full solution out there. If you tell me what you have so far I can point you towards the missing pieces.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

ShaneB posted:

So the website controls enemy decks and attack modifiers, but can anything replace player attack modifiers?

Best solution we've heard so far is 'use the monster deck as a player deck if you're using the website'. Other than that, my searches so far have turned up nothing. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to code for someone who knew what they were doing though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jabor posted:

The stuff about persistent abilities is also super relevant for mindthief. If you're resting between encounters, you can mise a little extra time by picking up your augment and then replaying it while moving to the next room or whatever.

How does "picking up your augment" actually work? I thought you were basically stuck with it unless you played a different one, at which point you discarded the old one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Frush posted:

Best solution we've heard so far is 'use the monster deck as a player deck if you're using the website'. Other than that, my searches so far have turned up nothing. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to code for someone who knew what they were doing though.

I'd really love a comprehensive, unified Gloomhaven tracking app that handled all the legacy & out-of-combat elements and the monster AI, much like the Descent app does.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Frush posted:

That's a good idea except you can't account for perk changes to the deck, unless I'm missing something.

There is a thread on Reddit of some guy working on a character modifier app, but I don't know how developed it is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FunkMonkey posted:

That's a good idea except you can't account for perk changes to the deck, unless I'm missing something.

There is a thread on Reddit of some guy working on a character modifier app, but I don't know how developed it is.

The monster deck is identical to the base player deck except for the "M" in the corner. The perk changes will come from the character class's envelope anyway.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CommonShore posted:

The monster deck is identical to the base player deck except for the "M" in the corner. The perk changes will come from the character class's envelope anyway.

I thought he was asking if there was an electronic replacement for the player deck like Gloomy Companion "replaces" the physical monster decks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I'm entirely lost on what's being discussed now. I'll let myself out.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gort posted:

How does "picking up your augment" actually work? I thought you were basically stuck with it unless you played a different one, at which point you discarded the old one.

There isn't a limit to persistent effects, as far as I know, but you aren't stuck with any persistent cards:

You can "pick up your augment" whenever you want, because the card is considered to be either lost/discarded simultaneously to being active.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

If you don't enjoy the thrill and/or horror of turning over your own physical character modifier deck, God help you.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

If you don't enjoy the thrill and/or horror of turning over your own physical character modifier deck, God help you.

I enjoy the sloth and/or apathy of having a computer do all my shuffling for me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

One major advantage I could see to having an app do the decks is that I wouldn't miss the "shuffle this deck now" cards in the decks again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People in my various rpg circles on facebook have started getting copies of Gloomhaven and based on comment threads, the "scoundrel player thinks it's their job to just get lots of treasure and such" trope seems to not be limited to my group, hooray. I blame D&D for breaking everyone's brains.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kiranamos posted:

My group does a lot of mentally crossing fingers and going "okay, if I don't miss this guy is dead...and I missed. Awesome."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My mindthief gets a disproportionate number of the treasure chests, but given that there's about one of those per dungeon I somehow manage to find time to stab folks too

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Countblanc posted:

People in my various rpg circles on facebook have started getting copies of Gloomhaven and based on comment threads, the "scoundrel player thinks it's their job to just get lots of treasure and such" trope seems to not be limited to my group, hooray. I blame D&D for breaking everyone's brains.

If they read the card and are roleplaying then yeah, scoundrel is a straight up dick, explicitly. Its the gently caress you getting mine character.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

As the treasure grabbing scoundrel in my group I joke that my battle goal card each game is to get as much treasure and coin as possible. After three scenarios my group doesn't find the joke funny anymore.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
This is funny, because the Scoundrel in my group was complaining that he had to pick up his own loot, and couldn't just kill things to protect us.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't figure out how you people are beating these on your first try.

I wish I had a camera so I could do a runthrough on Youtube so someone can tell me where I'm messing up. I can't get out of the first room of scenario 5 without getting too chewed up to move on. You can't run because everything is too fast, skeletons show up before I can kill the cultists even when I focus on them exclusively, and the night demons hit like trucks -- one demon can two-shot my spellweaver or three-shot my cragheart, so I've got two or three turns to deal with that before I start losing cards, but if you focus fire on the demons then you've got two to four skeletons by the time you get to those, and you can't ignore those either.

Rushing to another room is a problem too, because those are just as cramped, and meanwhile, the cultists are spawning more skeletons and healing away any progress you made before you ran away.

Am I not supposed to be here yet? Maybe it's my items and build, but I'd be surprised if I could get it THAT wrong. e: I'm playing against level 4 enemies with a level 3 crag and a level 4 SW, so this is already easy mode in solo.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 1, 2018

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
That's very hard difficulty, actually.

Scenario level is average party level divided by 2 round up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What scenario level are you on? If it's level 1, then you should be able to one-shot the non-elite cultists, because they're super squishy.

Also, you can totally ignore the skeletons. Seriously, take another look at how much damage they deal. Totally negligible, you only need to care after you've cleaned up everything else.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OmegaGoo posted:

mystery solved

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm impressed that he's gotten as far as he has, considering the difficulty he is playing at.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

mystery solved

Yeah, holy poo poo, no wonder you're getting blown out of the water. You should be fighting enemies at level 2, not 4.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OmegaGoo posted:

I am a Gloomhaven prodigy and also a dink who can't read.

So I'm looking at 3.5/2 = 1.75, enemy level 2, +1 for solo, level 3. I could bust it down to easy, I guess, though I don't want to trivialize the game to the point where I'm not getting the full experience. gently caress it, I'm doing easy until it gets boring. Level 2 enemies.

So 6 HP on a cultist. Okay, that's still a turn or two to make a skelly, which in my experience so far means it WILL happen, but now they're dealing 2, which isn't so bad. Night demons are still assholes but I can now kill one per turn. Elite skeletons still one-shot you from across the room when you stand in the doorway, but maybe they won't draw that one right away? I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for spotting the problem.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah at a certain point, we're replaying on hard and doing new campaign scenarios on easy, and it's working out. Though we're quite a ways further into the game. Still, if a scenario is murdering you and is unfun on normal or hard or w/e...tone it down, for sure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
We play any Ooze scenario on Easy because we all hate Oozes but want to continue certain plot threads.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Countblanc posted:

We play any Ooze scenario on Easy because we all hate Oozes but want to continue certain plot threads.

I should pitch this to my team, but they'll probably shoot it down because while no one wants more Oozes, they're also opposed to rules accommodations.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

I thought he was asking if there was an electronic replacement for the player deck like Gloomy Companion "replaces" the physical monster decks.

He was. There isn't, yet. I looked. If you can find one please let me know.

The basic deck is easy enough, but selecting/saving perks is tougher, especially since you'd have to divide it by class. Definitely not impossible but no one has done it yet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The level calculation seems kinda crazy somehow. Let's say I have a party of two level 6s, a level 5 and a level 4, because I do.

I need to work out (6+6+5+4/4)/2 which comes out to 2.625 which rounds to 3. It feels like there should be a simpler way to get to that outcome. Like a table for parties of 1,2,3 and 4 where it's just like, "If you have four party members and your combined level is greater than X but less than Y, you play on level 2". You know, just give the brackets instead of the formula required to get those brackets.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gort posted:

The level calculation seems kinda crazy somehow. Let's say I have a party of two level 6s, a level 5 and a level 4, because I do.

I need to work out (6+6+5+4/4)/2 which comes out to 2.625 which rounds to 3. It feels like there should be a simpler way to get to that outcome. Like a table for parties of 1,2,3 and 4 where it's just like, "If you have four party members and your combined level is greater than X but less than Y, you play on level 2". You know, just give the brackets instead of the formula required to get those brackets.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well that went differently :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

Well that went differently :stare:

Game's not nearly as hard now, is it?