Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

muggins posted:

Why do people revere that game so much, lol

For a long time there was nothing else like it. Like other GW games, it was well supported, had a diverse model range, and came with a unique take on a very popular setting.

The core mechanics are still pretty good. It's best thought of as a risk management simulator and while there are several sports games on the market these days, none of them quite get the feel of Blood Bowl down. Guildball is really more of a skirmish game and Dreadball plays a lot cleaner and is more focused on the game, so to speak, and not on pushing your luck.

Obviously nostalgia plays a part, plus the large and easily found player base. But it's not a bad game really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Honestly Dwarves suck in pretty much any game. The archetype is a stolid, dependable warrior and that’s always going to be a boring thing to write rules for.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Blood Bowl, did they ever give any more info on when the Human team booster pack is going to come out? They showed renders of it last summer and that's the last I heard of it.

Also a reminder that I have a half off code for BB2 on Steam if anyone wants it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Played some newcromunda over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. I think playing the game allayed some of my concerns about the changed close combat system. Really enjoyed myself and am keen to play some more.

My observations:
Just because you can pass a bottle roll, doesn't mean you should. (my next fight is going to be 4/10 gang members because so many people are in recovery)
Start a gang with 2 champions, because they generate your income
Grenades while costly are very strong because you aim at a point so don't suffer the negatives for shooting at someone in cover
Make sure you have some S4 weapons against Goliaths
I like the new recovery dice (and assisted recovery)
Cool is the most important non combat stat
Ganger advancing in WS/BS increases their value by 5, but increasing in willpower or intelligence increase their value by 20? I think this might be an error in GW1.

Also question for people: For the charge rules, if you can charge to within 1" of the enemy but cannot reach base to base combat does the charge succeed (because you got within 1, so you instantly move to b2b) or fail ( because you don't have enough move to get to b2b so you cannot go within 1"). The rules seem to be able to be read either way. We just rolled a dice to decide, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

hooman posted:

Also question for people: For the charge rules, if you can charge to within 1" of the enemy but cannot reach base to base combat does the charge succeed (because you got within 1, so you instantly move to b2b) or fail ( because you don't have enough move to get to b2b so you cannot go within 1"). The rules seem to be able to be read either way. We just rolled a dice to decide, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I can only go by gut, precedent, and spirit since I haven't read the rules myself, but to me if you can't make the full distance then you should stop just over 1" away regardless of how close you got. The point is that you didn't have the movement to actually make it into base contact and anything short is a failed charge.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ineptmule posted:

Honestly Dwarves suck in pretty much any game. The archetype is a stolid, dependable warrior and that’s always going to be a boring thing to write rules for.

Chaos dwarves :colbert:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm disappointed that I haven't had any time to play Necromunda or paint my Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team. Oh well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Chaos dwarves :colbert:

Also Slayers; which were an actually cool and fun idea and I think somehow a GW original creation? Once in a while they do manage to nail a good concept.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can only go by gut, precedent, and spirit since I haven't read the rules myself, but to me if you can't make the full distance then you should stop just over 1" away regardless of how close you got. The point is that you didn't have the movement to actually make it into base contact and anything short is a failed charge.

That was how I interpreted it as well, but that runs against the rule for taking a fighter out of action, where you only need to end within 1" in order to take the coup de grace action free. Which would seem to be indicate that if you get within 1" you "make it".

As it stands we'll probably just houserule it one way or the other with my friends, until there's an FAQ or definitive answer.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

muggins posted:

Why do people revere that game so much, lol

I don't, I loathe it, but I need some hobbies?

I just got smashed and lost 3-2 to Halflings (1310tv) with Norse (1880tv). This was in the semi-final KO's of our league - a win would've put me into the final and given me a reasonable shot to win (against Skaven probably).

Took 7 cas and more KO's than I care to remember. poo poo sucked end to end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

hooman posted:

That was how I interpreted it as well, but that runs against the rule for taking a fighter out of action, where you only need to end within 1" in order to take the coup de grace action free. Which would seem to be indicate that if you get within 1" you "make it".

As it stands we'll probably just houserule it one way or the other with my friends, until there's an FAQ or definitive answer.

I see them as separate cases. If you get within 1" you can take a shot with a pistol, throw a brick at their head, do a golf swing with a pipe, etc, against a downed opponent pretty easily. If an enemy is standing, they're going to be able to prepare and fight you off, especially if you exhaust yourself sprinting to get to them.

But yeah, it's not clear and needs some kind of FAQ unless there was a general rule that said "any enemy models that for any reason end their movement within 1" of each other automatically move into close combat".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Charging is already enough of an investment that I'd personally go with that anyway. Double action for a single move (+d3") with no premeasuring is already a gamble.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

Charging is already enough of an investment that I'd personally go with that anyway. Double action for a single move (+d3") with no premeasuring is already a gamble.

The umbrella rule is much cleaner game design. Then you get a nice logic chain:

If you end your movement within 1", you are in Close Combat -> If you are in Close Combat with a downed* model, then that model is automatically removed

*or whatever the specific terminology in the game is

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
From my background in GW games, if you end up within an 1", you automatically move into b2b and punch people.

For the record, I really hate it how 8e replace melee with "when you are within an inch of an enemy model..."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

From my background in GW games, if you end up within an 1", you automatically move into b2b and punch people.

For the record, I really hate it how 8e replace melee with "when you are within an inch of an enemy model..."

I think, though I could be wrong, there have been editions of GW games where it's explicitly stated that a charge that doesn't have enough distance must stop over 1" away even if the charge would bring the unit within 1".

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Skulls for the Skull Throne.

My Goliaths are nurgle themed too. I'm thinking Tzeentch for my Orlocks...

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Weird question: Are there full rules for Regicide somewhere online? Like, is this a game that can be played?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

susan posted:

Weird question: Are there full rules for Regicide somewhere online? Like, is this a game that can be played?

No, but there's a game on Steam and mobile. Those versions are similar to the old Battlechess.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
About to take up New Necromunda and still trying to decide on a gang.

Like the look of Orlock, but not sure what play style each gang has. Any advice for newbie?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Foul Ole Ron posted:

About to take up New Necromunda and still trying to decide on a gang.

Like the look of Orlock, but not sure what play style each gang has. Any advice for newbie?

From the three that are out at the moment, Golaith are your close-combat bruisers good in a scrap but have short-ranged, mediocre shooting. Eshers are fast as hell and have a lot of access to poisoned/toxin weapons but will fall down in a stiff breeze and Orlocks are your standard all rounder faction that lean a little more towards shooting, though we won't know where they are on the jack-of-all-trades scale until their updated rules come out.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

From the three that are out at the moment, Golaith are your close-combat bruisers good in a scrap but have short-ranged, mediocre shooting. Eshers are fast as hell and have a lot of access to poisoned/toxin weapons but will fall down in a stiff breeze and Orlocks are your standard all rounder faction that lean a little more towards shooting, though we won't know where they are on the jack-of-all-trades scale until their updated rules come out.

Thats what I was thinking, not too interested in close combat or Eldar-esk shinanigans, so Orlocks it is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Orlocks aren't out yet, unless I missed something.

The original six gangs exist in a pdf, though. That might be worth a look.

E: Er, that is to say versions of the other four original gangs are in the PDF.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 21, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

Yeah both Escher and Goliath are close combat focused with Escher offering more accurate ranged support and Goliath being slower and tougher with less accurate but more powerful ranged weapons.
Orlock is more ranged focused (with their 4+ws champs) but not so much as Delaque or Van Saar who have primary access to the shooting skill.

Though having played as orlocks for 3 games now (using the preview rules), you feel the lack of rules for the gang list melee weapon and the harpoon launcher. The combat shotgun is more than capable of getting a lot of work done. I also just bought my champion who was armed only with an autogun a grenade launcher which should help my shooting considerably, especially against Goliath. I'm still yet to win, but I don't think that's a problem with Orlocks as much as it is me and :rolldice:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
When you say Preview rules... is this something separate to the legacy gangs document?

Where can I find them?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

When you say Preview rules... is this something separate to the legacy gangs document?

Where can I find them?

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/necromunda-new-pic-previews-for-gang.html

Screenshots from Warhammer TV.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Interesting. That’s very useful. Thanks.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone have any thoughts on this terrain. It looks pretty good. Perfect for Necromunda. Never heard of the company that makes this though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinkerhousegames/tinkerturf-full-color-wargaming-terrain

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why would you? Plywood laser cutters aren't that expensive any more.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Pre-painted makes that very attractive.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Rhaegar posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this terrain. It looks pretty good. Perfect for Necromunda. Never heard of the company that makes this though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinkerhousegames/tinkerturf-full-color-wargaming-terrain

Posted this on the previous page. Sadly, doesn't look like they'll hit their goal. Shame, would be nice to see the stretch goals come to life.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Enentol posted:

Posted this on the previous page. Sadly, doesn't look like they'll hit their goal. Shame, would be nice to see the stretch goals come to life.

Oh apologies. Yeah I think it's touch and go. Might get a bunch of interest right near the end as people decide they want it. Certainly doesn't seem like they will hit any stretch goals though.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
In case anybody is wondering, I'm through to the finals of the Blood Bowl league I've mentioned in this thread.

I'm surprised and stoked in equal measure. However, it feels a little cheap because:

I came top of my league and so had a bye through to the quarter-finals. Neither of the people in the play-off for this bracket could organise a game (despite having the best part of two months to do so), so a non-qualifying player was put up against me. Humans vs. my Necro, with something like 200TV difference. It was a bit of a stomping, especially as I was using Frenzy chain-pushes and Stand Firm to completely throw his positioning off - and this player hadn't faced that before.

The Semi-Final was versus the person who came second in my league, the Wood Elf team I think I mentioned earlier. Very tough opponent, but he was giving away 290TV, which made my choice pretty simple: Chainsaw + Bludweiser + a gamble on a Dirty Tricks card. Two Throw A Rocks and each one hits the Treeman, the second one injuring it. It was a very conservative game for each of us because of Sweltering Heat, and when I received in the second half, I counted down the clock as I removed people from the board, before scoring in my final turn.

This would normally be when he'd go for a one turn touchdown attempt. And so I play my Dirty Tricks card: Pit Trap. I start to place his one-turner prone and my opponent concedes on the spot.

Still, through to the final, versus a High Elf team...

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Squats are coming to Necromunda. I don't even know what's real any more...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is there a compelling reason not to build the Escher and Goliath gangs in the configurations from the intro campaign?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

susan posted:

Squats are coming to Necromunda. I don't even know what's real any more...

Have we gone back in time?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is there a compelling reason not to build the Escher and Goliath gangs in the configurations from the intro campaign?

For what it's worth, that's how I built them since I'm still learning the game and only playing Underhive, not Gang War yet. I figure by the time I get to have some Gang War action I'll be ready to get a new box of one of the gangs to more properly list build for a campaign.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
It certainly is much easier on you w/r/t bitz mathing! Don't sweat the optimization.

E: squat links or it didn't happen.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

JcDent posted:

It certainly is much easier on you w/r/t bitz mathing! Don't sweat the optimization.

E: squat links or it didn't happen.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...020&ref=m_notif

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Also noticed that the plastic sisters clock is set at 6 minutes to midnight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I really enjoy that illustration. I hope the sculpt is the same.