Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I do genuinely hope Nintendo isnt stupid enough to snub Martinet, given that he voices like 80% of the mario cast and he's hugely popular in the fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I do genuinely hope Nintendo isnt stupid enough to snub Martinet, given that he voices like 80% of the mario cast and he's hugely popular in the fanbase.

They absolutely are stupid enough and I fully expect them to cast a celebrity just for the name recognition.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would assume the target demographic for a Mario movie would be children who dont know who that voice is, not grown adults who will get unnecessarily angry over not casting the Mario voice.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Me: Charles Martinet or nothing.

Nintendo: It’s gonna be John Goodman.

Me: Now wait a minute.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is a long history of the Transformers running around in ancient times even without Prime playing king

The typical setting is already Transformers running around in ancient times, from the Transformer's perspective.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fart City posted:

Me: Charles Martinet or nothing.

Nintendo: It’s gonna be John Goodman.

Me: Now wait a minute.

This but Danny Devito

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Len posted:

I would assume the target demographic for a Mario movie would be children who dont know who that voice is, not grown adults who will get unnecessarily angry over not casting the Mario voice.

You just don't understand how Japanese culture is based around honor. Not casting Martinet would be an insult and dishonor on the level of porting Final Fantasy XIII to Xbox 360. Their company would be done for and no one would do business with them again.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You just don't understand how Japanese culture is based around honor. Not casting Martinet would be an insult and dishonor on the level of porting Final Fantasy XIII to Xbox 360. Their company would be done for and no one would do business with them again.

:golfclap:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bob Hoskins is dead. There is no Mario.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

They absolutely are stupid enough and I fully expect them to cast a celebrity just for the name recognition.

We missed out on Danny DeVito as Pikachu, maybe we'll get lucky this time.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

This but Danny Devito

Danny Devito IS Wario

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No. Charles Martinet is Wario. Ride or die

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

children may not know who Charles Martinet is, but they're absolutely gonna notice if Mario sounds wonky

e: and honestly he's a really, really good voice actor so there's no sense ditching him. save the celebs for characters exclusive to the movie and keep everyone from the games pretty much as-is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Here's your Mario voice actor. He's even cool with platforming.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The few instances of Martinet speaking full sentences as a Mario character all sound really jarring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If the teaser trailer for the Mario movie isn't just a blank screen with Mario showing up and going "It's-a me, Mario!" then they hosed UP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At the end of the credits he needs to say Thank you so much a for watching my film!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

We better get this toad or me and my 72 twitter followers are boycotting the movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Here's your Mario voice actor. He's even cool with platforming.

That guy's movie made Mel Brooks sad.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I don't think I could bear listening to a high-pitch Mario voice for 90+ minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Conal Cochran posted:

I don't think I could bear listening to a high-pitch Mario voice for 90+ minutes.

Martinet just seems so happy, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdIqTFgWRA

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A different Mario voice will be like that clip of the grown man yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" when pikachu speaks English in that new pokemon movie. Nobody in the target audience will care enough to be that loud but the grown rear end adults in a child's movie will explode into rage and fury

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

That guy's movie made Mel Brooks sad.

His other movie also made me quite sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0xYU8jHaH4

This guy's weird and awful in the worst way

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Like, I'm not saying that its ~dishonorable~ to snub Martinet or whatever, but hes been the sole voice actor for the character for almost thirty years and another actor taking the role would almost certainly end up just imitating Martinets performances anyway, so why not pay the dude to do the role he's been doing and get star power by stunt casting, like, Beyonce as Peach or whatever the gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man if you think nerds would flip out by changing the Mario voice could you imagine a black Peach? The nerd anger would be enough to power the world forever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

but hes been the sole voice actor for the character for almost thirty years and another actor taking the role would almost certainly end up just imitating Martinets performances anyway, so why not pay the dude to do the role he's been doing

This is the same argument people use when talking about someone other than Mark Hamill voicing the Joker in DC animated stuff.

They're not wrong.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jeff Goldblum for Luigi

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Charles Martinet isn't even Italian. :mad:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Like, I'm not saying that its ~dishonorable~ to snub Martinet or whatever, but hes been the sole voice actor for the character for almost thirty years and another actor taking the role would almost certainly end up just imitating Martinets performances anyway, so why not pay the dude to do the role he's been doing and get star power by stunt casting, like, Beyonce as Peach or whatever the gently caress.

They were referencing a youtube video from ages ago where some doofus goes on about how much ~dishonor~ square-enix was bringing on itself by porting FF13 to the Xbox.

I wish I could find it because it's seared into my brain because of how utterly stupid and hysterical it was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Samuel Clemens posted:

Charles Martinet isn't even Italian. :mad:

Neither is Mario, he was delivered and raised in the Mushroom Kingdom, and lived briefly in the Metro Kingdom

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

joylessdivision posted:

They were referencing a youtube video from ages ago where some doofus goes on about how much ~dishonor~ square-enix was bringing on itself by porting FF13 to the Xbox.

I wish I could find it because it's seared into my brain because of how utterly stupid and hysterical it was.

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The YouTube video is a performance by SA admin/author fragmaster, it's based off a post on gamefaqs or something

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Between this and the F-Zero reading, we did not deserve Fragmaster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Between this and the F-Zero reading, we did not deserve Fragmaster.

Don't forget this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA&t=626s

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I know it was just an example, but I kind of doubt they could actually get her for the part. She has enough money that that's not a factor and Peach is a weak enough role that I don't think she'd be interested in it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I prefer this version more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvbbrolCuNk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The YouTube video is a performance by SA admin/author fragmaster, it's based off a post on gamefaqs or something

The post was on NeoGAF and I remember reading people clowning on it for like 2 days straight when it happened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No. Charles Martinet is Wario. Ride or die

Pretty sure he's Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi, unless that's exactly the joke you're making.

Given how Nintendo's been incredibly protective of their brand and Mario in particular since the last movie debacle, and how most adapted franchises lately have succeeded by staying close to the source, I imagine they want to stay on-brand and use the guy everyone's used to by now. They clearly aren't going to trust any Western studio they just hand the franchise over to, I recall them being very specific about their characters' appearances in Wreck-It-Ralph. (something that Disney animators are probably understanding of and able to work with, mind) Heck, they've even taken more direct control over the Pokemon anime, IIRC. (doesn't help that 4kids imploded)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Getting a new voice actor for Mario would be as bad as if Konami decided to get a new voice actor for Solid Snake.

Boy, I'm glad they never decided to do anything silly like that. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Timby posted:

In "seriously, who the gently caress wants this" news, F. Gary Gray is directing the Men in Black relaunch.

In slightly less "who the gently caress wants this" news, Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (Snowfall) are now in talks to direct Bad Boys for Life, because apparently Sony just can't let that die.

"seriously, who the gently caress wants this" I think that's what they said about Jumanji isn't it?