Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
because people hate driving but they don't want to take transit because its not in a great state right now and they've been using and have had private transportation marketed to them their entire lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
But car manufacturers are completely unreliable w/r/t technology in cars, why on earth would anyone trust them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i really don't get how some of you are mystified as to why people would want a car to drive for them

did your great grandpas stand around wondering why their wives were excited about having a dishwasher and a clotheswasher? did your dads get confused why you'd want to look at something on a computer instead of a book?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
because they've successfully marketed robotic cars as being in the tech company cluster and people tend to be optimistic and mystified by anything that can be placed there

or in the classic joke fashion:

1980s: don't ever get in a strangers car!
20XX: meet strangers on the internet and get in their cars!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you young people just look at your dang phones all day it's rotting your brains!!!!!! *boomerishly watches 16 hours of fox news*

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
oh idk maybe because if the dishwasher fails there's a mess on the floor, whereas if the self driving car fails, im dead?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Also it seems really computationally complex?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
of course it is -- its a problem thats been worked on for a long time that we likely still don't have all the understanding to solve reliably yet, but people like musk have already been leveraging it to sell cars so now everybody has to go along with it or be left out

also you have to remember people are idiot suburbanites with what I like to call Disneyland Syndrome: they just kind of assume safety and it doesn't take much to convince them

like they'll in simultaneously buy musks "we need autonomous cars because deaths~~~" but go hop in their car and feel completely safe and never want to do anything but drive themselves places

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you young people just look at your dang phones all day it's rotting your brains!!!!!! *boomerishly browses facebook for 16 hours*

also i would pay several american dollars to be able to watch a bunch of self-driving cars go around a special driving course with various degrees of road degradation/road conditions like it was some kind of slow/boring demolition derby

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It doesn't sound like this "Musk" person is being at all responsible in his advocacy of self-driving cars!

:ohdear:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

Also it seems really computationally complex?

Listen buddy my dishwasher deals with deer running in front of it all the time why is it so hard with cars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but people hit deer all the time!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

but this car won't!

do you get it now?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaman Linavi posted:

also i would pay several american dollars to be able to watch a bunch of self-driving cars go around a special driving course with various degrees of road degradation/road conditions like it was some kind of slow/boring demolition derby

unfortunately they haven't had one in a few years

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah its hard to do when a chunk of the heavyweight competitors have cashed out

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
fish mech is right, internet contrarianism has rotted all your brains. there are a lot of negative points to make about self-driving cars. the technology is not ready yet. the technology is not really even close to being ready. even when it is ready, it might have major restrictions that limit its practical use for a long time. even if the technology was perfect, there are basic problems with individual car ownership that being self-driving doesn't magically solve. resource usage for construction. resource usage during operation. space usage for storage. space usage on the road. traffic. whatever else

none of that means that self-driving cars would, like, actually be really bad and nobody would ever want them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
none of those things are problems you see, because I will just be renting a car, hailing it to take me to point a to point b with its automated magic

none of this is possible today you see and totally solves everything wrong with private cars

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rjmccall posted:

fish mech is right, internet contrarianism has rotted all your brains. there are a lot of negative points to make about self-driving cars. the technology is not ready yet. the technology is not really even close to being ready. even when it is ready, it might have major restrictions that limit its practical use for a long time. even if the technology was perfect, there are basic problems with individual car ownership that being self-driving doesn't magically solve. resource usage for construction. resource usage during operation. space usage for storage. space usage on the road. traffic. whatever else

none of that means that self-driving cars would, like, actually be really bad and nobody would ever want them

These cars made by the geniuses who put brakes and the stereo on the same network, just because?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

remember when a noted yoposter used the existence of the grand challenge as evidence that fully autonomous vehicle were commercially viable, two or three years ago? that was pretty great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

These cars made by the geniuses who put brakes and the stereo on the same network, just because?

but infotainment needs write access to the canbus!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

I could be wrong, I dont think anyone here thinks theyre bad and no one wants them. what goons/ppl think are bad is they aren't even being close to being ready, which is insanely reckless, dangerous, and leads to bad public policy (i.e. San Mateo rejecting rapid-bus-transit lines along El Camino Real because, "self-driving cars will fix it and they're right around the corner", which 100% serious) because they're being pushed as if they are.

also we will probably be dead/retired (lol no one is retiring) by the time they're in a state that they're "good". and even then there's still issue with underlying car-transportation but thats a different issue

e: dumb typo before being sagebrushed

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the part of all of this that I like is that there is indeed an opportunity for vastly increased safety, that we can implement right now, coming out of all of this when you strip away all the marketing fluff

like a lot of things that are sold as ~autonomous~ were being sold as safety systems previously or within the same time frame before this whole tend took off -- dynamic cruise control, automated brakes for pedestrians and cars, lane departure prevention and alerts, blind spot monitors

even if you are the most attentive driver you only have two eyes and ears as your sensors in an environment that can quickly overload you; augmenting this with a bunch of additional equipment can really help improve situational awareness and lower the cognitive load, helping people be safer drivers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

but infotainment needs write access to the canbus!

:350:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the only person pretending to be mystified by people wanting to own autonomous vehicles is the guy who pretends to be mentally handicapped

i'm fairly sure everyone else has managed to grasp the simple premise that while people want them, anyone offering to sell you one is a charlatan, and you're a loving rube if you buy one from them

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

Actually: that could work for any of them, some sort of "car-pool" arrangement?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

Actually: that could work for any of them, some sort of "car-pool" arrangement?

interesting, tell me more

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

the uber and autonomous should be combined and there should be twice as many cars because one needs to be a minute away constantly to pick someone up to maintain instant gratification

because people would rather sit through 2 hours of car traffic than a 35 minute train ride because they might have to wait 15 minutes at the platform and see people less fortunate than themselves

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

the part of all of this that I like is that there is indeed an opportunity for vastly increased safety, that we can implement right now, coming out of all of this when you strip away all the marketing fluff

like a lot of things that are sold as ~autonomous~ were being sold as safety systems previously or within the same time frame before this whole tend took off -- dynamic cruise control, automated brakes for pedestrians and cars, lane departure prevention and alerts, blind spot monitors

even if you are the most attentive driver you only have two eyes and ears as your sensors in an environment that can quickly overload you; augmenting this with a bunch of additional equipment can really help improve situational awareness and lower the cognitive load, helping people be safer drivers

you already see this in a lot of marketing, mostly pushing the "you can feel more confident letting your idiot kids drive themselves around" angle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hullo, i'm wilford brimley

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i think it's also worth noting that people will almost certainly be significantly less tolerant of any crashes involving autonomous vehicles, which would probably still occur even if they magically figure out the tech for it

bird poops onto a sensor causing a fatal crash? why couldn't the car's AI know that was bird poop and not an 18-wheeler making a left turn across your lane

driver psychology is fascinating and i unsurprisingly never ever hear my friend who works in AV mention it at all

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

let’s see how that amazon Whole Foods buyout is going

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/959144522490970114

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

qirex posted:

you're not getting it, it's not just an accelerometer, it tracks the position of the employees hand in realtime to "prevent errors in shelving or picking" and I'm sure it certainly won't be used to grind out that last 0.5% of "slack" that the poor people who staff their warehouses currently enjoy

marx was right

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
*person in grossly paid management position* look they're paid to do work, whats wrong with making sure they are doing what they're paid to?

*goes to 2.5 hour lunch*

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
we could automate these warehouses and spend tons of money in r&d, manufacturing, deployment etc

OR we could put a device on our employees that turns them into robots!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

we could automate these warehouses and spend tons of money in r&d, manufacturing, deployment etc

OR we could put a device on our employees that turns them into robots!

*glados* now you're thinking with captialism

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Enderzero posted:

oh idk maybe because if the dishwasher fails there's a mess on the floor, whereas if the self driving car fails, im dead?

sure, nowadays, like 100 years after they were first produced

a lot of them originally ran off flammable gases and such and could easily end up exploding while they were functioning.

or hell they'd be like a ton of early electrical appliances and routinely start fires that burned down your whole house with you in it because people hadn't figured out insulation yet or would run every appliance in the house through cables going into one or two lightbulb sockets in the whole place.

lancemantis posted:

because they've successfully marketed robotic cars as being in the tech company cluster and people tend to be optimistic and mystified by anything that can be placed there

or in the classic joke fashion:

1980s: don't ever get in a strangers car!
20XX: meet strangers on the internet and get in their cars!

who's "they"? the car industry that's been saying "oh yeah we'll have it soon" for literally since 1939 if not earlier and who doesn't sell them? or ol musky who sells a tiny amount of fake ones to a small amount of rich people?

it's not like the mass market is buying self-driving cars of either the real or fake variety so getting mad at people for going "well if it existed and i could afford it i sure would like one" is absurd.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
watch this video for some cool facts on how easy it was to be killed by everyday household stuff like 100 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kxUyvkXjw

amazing concepts like "hey what if we made a placemat full of live wires to the main electric supply so you could just jam devices like lightbulbs into it? now why are you saying spilling liquids on it might be dangerous"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Luigi Thirty posted:

let’s see how that amazon Whole Foods buyout is going

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/959144522490970114
capitalism ftw

https://twitter.com/AndyKroll/status/959115098697687040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lancemantis posted:

the uber and autonomous should be combined and there should be twice as many cars because one needs to be a minute away constantly to pick someone up to maintain instant gratification

because people would rather sit through 2 hours of car traffic than a 35 minute train ride because they might have to wait 15 minutes at the platform and see people less fortunate than themselves
if I want to get to the airport my options are a 25 minute lyft or 60+ minutes on public transportation (bus + light rail). that’s not even counting the fact that back when I used to take the bus to work (I walk now), the bus was usually offschedule and sometimes full, which can tack an extra 20+ minutes on to even find a usable bus. pubtrans is awful in a lot of the US