Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Novus having issues tonight too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Whenever my internet goes out it really gets me thinking. Back to a simpler time, before vidya games and Netflix.

Praise be to the internet gods please bring mine back thank you

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I called Shaw about a half hour ago and the guy sounded really optimistic “Oh yeah! We are having a short outage shouldn’t be too much longer.” Then he pauses for a few seconds and says “few hours”

Gee thanks, guess your idea of not much longer and mine are totally different. Time for bed

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I miss my Coextro fibre in a downtown Toronto condo (I moved into a house). Two sub-30 minute outages and one 3 hour outage in 7 years. And it was cheap and fast :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had that happen a few weeks ago. Internet slowed to a crawl.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone on SHAW running into the issue where the router is just dropping DNS service like clockwork every 24 hours? Wifi seems fine, but anything hardwired just gets a no DNS error. Literally happens every day and I need to unplug the router and reset it.

I've tried using Google's DNS address but the issue persists.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Which modem do you have? There's a firmware rollout happening with the Hitron modems right now, so it's possible that could be causing some issues.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fried Watermelon posted:

Anyone on SHAW running into the issue where the router is just dropping DNS service like clockwork every 24 hours? Wifi seems fine, but anything hardwired just gets a no DNS error. Literally happens every day and I need to unplug the router and reset it.

I've tried using Google's DNS address but the issue persists.

Not 24 hours but a few times my PS4 won't get poo poo and I have to unplug and reset for it to get going.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Apparently the Novus problem last night caused them to wake up their on-call sysadmin :v: I feel good for making that happen, as someone who had that done to me in the past.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What the gently caress is this and why am I only hearing about it now? Bell putting forward a proposal for an ISP-maintained, country-wide blacklist of sites "involved in piracy"?

Is this description of it accurate, and does it have any chance of getting through the CRTC? Lol of course it does, the CRTC is useless.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You thought Bell would sit idle as half the country bypasses their regional licensing rights for Game of Thrones?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone in Alberta able to tell me about lightspeed? I'm on a solid teksavvy plan, but 75 down unlimited seems really good at $40

https://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/cable-internet/

E: gently caress it, I went for them. Really good deal

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 21, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone in Alberta able to tell me about lightspeed? I'm on a solid teksavvy plan, but 75 down unlimited seems really good at $40

https://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/cable-internet/

E: gently caress it, I went for them. Really good deal

Lemme know how that goes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Lemme know how that goes.

Pros over the phone. Sounds like they're the same deal as teksavvy. Use Shaw or whoever is in the area.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress is this and why am I only hearing about it now? Bell putting forward a proposal for an ISP-maintained, country-wide blacklist of sites "involved in piracy"?

Is this description of it accurate, and does it have any chance of getting through the CRTC? Lol of course it does, the CRTC is useless.

If it helps any, this most likely won't happen. Per Micheal Geist:

"The good news is that legal basis for this radical proposal is on very shaky ground. The CRTC was clear in September 2016 letter arising out of the Quebec law mandating the blocking of access to unlicensed gambling sites. The CRTC stated that the law only permits blocking in “exceptional circumstances” noting that:

the Commission is of the preliminary view that the Act prohibits the blocking by Canadian carriers of access by end-users to specific websites on the Internet, whether or not this blocking is the result of an ITMP. Consequently, any such blocking is unlawful without prior Commission approval, which would only be given where it would further the telecommunications policy objectives. Accordingly, compliance with other legal or juridical requirements – whether municipal, provincial or foreign – does not in and of itself justify the blocking of specific websites by Canadian carriers, in the absence of Commission approval under the Act.

The proposal must therefore convince the CRTC that website blocking would further the telecommunications policy objectives (merely complying with copyright law or meeting broader cultural objectives would be insufficient). The proposal does a woefully poor job of making the case that mandatory website blocking would further those objectives. The best it can do is argue that piracy “threatens the social and economic fabric of Canada”, that the telecommunications system should “encourage compliance with Canadian laws” and that website blocking “will significantly contribute toward the protection of the privacy of Canadian Internet users.”

He also notes that even if this happened somehow, it wouldn't survive a challenge based on the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. So we're probably fine here.

Also, not really related, but Canada did everyone a solid and forced all the horrible copyright crap out of the TPP.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I thought that was pretty ropey. And holy poo poo, that's the first good news I've heard about the TPP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lord Justice posted:

Also, not really related, but Canada did everyone a solid and forced all the horrible copyright crap out of the TPP.

Wow, that's actually kinda encouraging.

Wonder if mailing my MP to let them know I am in favour of these changes would be in any way useful.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Nice work Canada!

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
This is completely unexpected good news about something I had every reason to be worried about! Good work Canada! Credit where it's due!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Checking back in with the $40 for 75 down deal from Lightspeed. Internet is solid, scheduling the initial transfer with them was amateur hour and left me without internet for the weekend, but my speeds are looking real good now that it's up

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Lightspeed is pretty good. Maybe a bit dated in its billing handling online, but it works.

I also forgot to inform them that my line was active when they set up initially, so I went months without an invoice emailed/mailed/charged. They kept assuming I didn't even have a connection and hadn't billed yet.

I called in to ask why I wasn't getting bills (I didn't want to end up cut off for days, or something worse - and I need the invoices to submit to my employer, as I work from home), before they realized and had it corrected. They're a little green in some ways, heh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Someone posted this in canpol

https://www.bnn.ca/shaw-offering-buyouts-to-6-500-staff-amid-major-company-overhaul-1.982932

quote:

Shaw Communications is launching a massive voluntary buyout program in a restructuring the company calls a “total business transformation” that aims to re-focus its operations.

The cable and telecom company confirmed the restructuring plans in a press release Tuesday after BNN reported the buyouts, citing an internal memo.

In a statement, Shaw said about 6,500 employees – including those at Freedom Mobile which it bought in 2016 – have been offered voluntary packages, and 10 per cent are expected to accept the offer. The company had approximately 14,000 employees as of the end of August.

That's almost half their employees :O

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HOLY poo poo. That's a fun way to start the year. :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Man, just how many customers did Wind lose to the deals of 2016 & '17?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Man, just how many customers did Wind lose to the deals of 2016 & '17?

Me, my wife, and a bunch of other people I know jumped on the public mobile deal. Probably a big part of it

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Work has been interesting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

w00tmonger posted:

Me, my wife, and a bunch of other people I know jumped on the public mobile deal. Probably a big part of it

Me too. Plus there was that Koodo deal this year to stop people scamming the Manitoba plan :newlol:.

It's probably just a standard merging of various Wind/Shaw locations into one.
Most of the Wind places I see around town are always incredibly empty, and are obviously leasing way, way too large a space.
Doesn't help that most of them are in plaza locations either.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 30, 2018

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s also possible they’d like to aim to provide more online/text only service in which case why pay Canadian salaries?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Human Customer Service is going to be a premium rate thing like Caller ID & Tone Dialing used to be.

All we need is for Bell and Rogers to rollout their branded rich-person all-human contact with a designated account rep service like Time Warner has in Manhattan.

I'm betting they'll name it Bellé and Richr, respectively.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If they only expect 10% to take the deal maybe they are only looking to lay off 1000 people...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Rogers is gonna buy out Shaw within two years.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I can only hope :)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I’m not sure the government would allow that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Evis posted:

*passes a big bag of money campaign contributions under the table*

What about now?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Now I think it’s what’s best for Canadians.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Evis posted:

Now I think it’s what’s best for Canadians.

A merger would help the middle class and those trying to join the middle class.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Evis posted:

Shaw and Rogers don't directly compete, there's a tiny bit of overlap between cell service now, but there's no way Shaw will pay out to roll out cell services in all it's missing areas.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This will confuse the hell out of anyone in BC who still says "my rogers cable" and then corrects themselves to "my shaw cable".

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How are you supposed to watch hockey or the news in western canada without cable.

My basement renter suddenly decided that he wants to watch these things, but everything I'm looking at for how to do that is a pile of poo poo. He thinks he wants to go out and buy an Apple TV stick or whatever

Telus is my service provider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
With an aerial?