Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

pokeyman posted:

wait I can’t compile an electron app for Windows unless I’m on Windows?

cross platform my rear end

I was able to build for all platforms fine on Linux. What are you using to package it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have any intro to UX/UI resources?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

hey yospos, what's a good crash course book or site for python? a manager asked if anyone was stupid enough to pick it up for future support and because im real dumb its now me

don't do it its a trap

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

lol Zed Shaw

"not a turing machine"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

hey yospos, what's a good crash course book or site for python? a manager asked if anyone was stupid enough to pick it up for future support and because im real dumb its now me

Seconding Sapozhnik: start with the official docs as a crash course. Then, when you want a "second course" in python, check out fluent python or effective python.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
effluent python

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JawnV6 posted:

effluent python

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tanners posted:

I was able to build for all platforms fine on Linux. What are you using to package it?

nothing yet. I mentioned my plan to someone and they said "last time I tried you couldn’t really package a Windows app unless you’re on windows". a cursory google search seemed to confirm, so naturally I complained on the internet instead of trying it myself

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

effluent python

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
current tps: i have to do things with elliptic curve crypto primitives in python (this IS for work, NOT my choice, NOT bitcoin related) and some of them just don't exist. lol. guess i might have to make some this will surely go well

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
make a binding to the existing C implementation rather than attempting to roll your own crypto code

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

effluent python

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Yeah, native bindings in python are pretty easy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cffi my dude

(maybe cython as well idk. i don't really do a python for anything other than the most trivial throwaway poo poo)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

do the Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines count

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

cffi my dude

(maybe cython as well idk. i don't really do a python for anything other than the most trivial throwaway poo poo)

didn't know you could use python to post

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phobeste posted:

current tps: i have to do things with elliptic curve crypto primitives in python (this IS for work, NOT my choice, NOT bitcoin related) and some of them just don't exist. lol. guess i might have to make some this will surely go well

ooooh, elliptic curves

I remember learning about using them for public key cryptography in college :3:

also my dad is an expert on the things

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

quoting to be annoying and say use libsodium
however terrible importing a native .so is, it can’t be worse than writing your own ecc

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the only thing i have to write is importing/exporting compressed public numbers which should be pretty straightforward and easily testable. there's libraries for most of this poo poo (which largely rely on openssl or whatever) but they have weird holes in them, like cryptography not handling compressed keys for some reason, or ecdsa libraries not handling key exchange. the thing is it has to be cross platform and is intended as a reasonably publicly available sdk so i strongly don't want to do my own packaging of native libraries or dependencies.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

rip. plz don't write bad cryto routines and get them adopted

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phobeste posted:

ecdsa libraries not handling key exchange
huh i wonder why that is

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
googling for solutions to a programming problem, click on a promising link, close "we use cookies" footer, deny desktop notifications, close subscribe to email updates footer, start reading the article, wait for a fullscreen ad for some books to stop fading in, click on "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt. And I also don't want to order these amazing books", wait for ad to stop fading out, finally read the article.

i love... web

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

googling for solutions to a programming problem, click on a promising link, close "we use cookies" footer, deny desktop notifications, close subscribe to email updates footer, start reading the article, wait for a fullscreen ad for some books to stop fading in, click on "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt. And I also don't want to order these amazing books", wait for ad to stop fading out, finally read the article.

i love... web

Firefox with Gmail, messenger, and youtube open taking 1.3gb of ram

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Like it's gotten to the point where I mostly download videos from youtube and watch them with vlc, and only open the various messaging clients when my phone pings me.
Why did I get the 4gb surface book??

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wheany posted:

i love... web

turn off JavaScript and encourage everyone you know to do so as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i love... web

you can adblock all of the above

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

i love... web

scroll down, and a toast pops up from the bottom of the screen "click here to download the book you've already declined", close pop-up, resume reading

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
...REaAaAd ThE WhiTePaAAaaAAAaPeEeEEeER...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Don't make me think.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Wheany posted:

Don't make me think.

never read that book but the title alone is solid advice

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the only white paper I need is the kind you roll up a fat rear end joint with, how about that abstract

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Like it's gotten to the point where I mostly download videos from youtube and watch them with vlc, and only open the various messaging clients when my phone pings me.
Why did I get the 4gb surface book??

I use mpv which is smart enough to shell out and call youtube-dl, chrome won't use any hw accel under Linux (for Intel gfx at least), adblock or no using at least mpv does intel hwaccel.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phobeste posted:

the only thing i have to write is importing/exporting compressed public numbers which should be pretty straightforward and easily testable. there's libraries for most of this poo poo (which largely rely on openssl or whatever) but they have weird holes in them, like cryptography not handling compressed keys for some reason, or ecdsa libraries not handling key exchange. the thing is it has to be cross platform and is intended as a reasonably publicly available sdk so i strongly don't want to do my own packaging of native libraries or dependencies.

don't roll your own crypto for any loving reason holy poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can adblock all of the above

hiya! we noticed you're using adblock!

we understand completely, but our quality content that we spend more money SEOing to the top of the results than actually creating can't be sustained without ad income! to continue to view our great content, you can either

1) subscribe to our premium membership

2) add us to your whitelist

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 2, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i just leave places that don't work without a whitelist and never come back op

there's probably 200 websites doing the same thing as the one that doesnt work so just keep on surfing!!!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

anthonypants posted:

huh i wonder why that is

well no poo poo. mostly what I’m complaining about here is there’s no python equivalent to bouncy castle, the ecosystem isn’t really as developed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

hiya! we noticed you're using adblock!

we understand completely, but our quality content that we spend more money SEOing to the top of the results than actually creating can't be sustained without ad income! to continue to view our great content, you can either

1) subscribe to our premium membership

2) add us to your whitelist

these are blockable too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

these are blockable too

resulting in a page that won't scroll, at least until you open up the inspector and spend the next half hour trolling through minified scripts to find the file that does the adblock check and adblocking THAT

or you can just move on to the next result

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

resulting in a page that won't scroll, at least until you open up the inspector and spend the next half hour trolling through minified scripts to find the file that does the adblock check and adblocking THAT

no, i just use adblock competently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

carry on then posted:

when something that hijacks the page gets past adblock, temporarily disabling javascript usually takes care of it for me

• Locked thread