Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ROTOR I SUMMON THEE

https://twitter.com/stanedward/status/957535626651492352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elysiume posted:

if I want to get to the airport my options are a 25 minute lyft or 60+ minutes on public transportation (bus + light rail). that’s not even counting the fact that back when I used to take the bus to work (I walk now), the bus was usually offschedule and sometimes full, which can tack an extra 20+ minutes on to even find a usable bus. pubtrans is awful in a lot of the US

public transit is quite often awful all over the world, the us isn't special at all

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

those are all the same picture though :thunk:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

public transit is quite often awful all over the world, the us isn't special at all

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you'd know they stick with a good choice even when surrounded by better, nicer-looking models

keep

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

Actually: that could work for any of them, some sort of "car-pool" arrangement?

but people hate sharing things with strangers

so i guess you could charge an added fee to only be put in cars with pretty people who smell nice

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ate all the Oreos posted:

but people hate sharing things with strangers

so i guess you could charge an added fee to only be put in cars with pretty people who smell nice

If you could get around disparate impact you could probably do some sort of class-based uber bronze/silver/gold/platinum thing to keep out the prolies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

If you could get around disparate impact you could probably do some sort of class-based uber bronze/silver/gold/platinum thing to keep out the prolies?

it's called uber black, it's basically the service they were founded on. then there's uberx (aka taxis) and uber pool (aka taxis with other people)

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 1, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uber black more like uber noblacks

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

fishmech posted:

yeah that's fine, I stand by my point that taking a lyft to the airport doesn't automatically mean you hate poor people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

yeah that's fine, I stand by my point that taking a lyft to the airport doesn't automatically mean you hate poor people

you too good for a regular taxi or something

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

you too good for a regular taxi or something
the difference between a lyft and a taxi is moot when an uber was being compared to public transportation, because a taxi isn't public transportation

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elysiume posted:

why dont you just drive, nerd

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

why dont you just drive, nerd

:homebrew:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

the difference between a lyft and a taxi is moot when an uber was being compared to public transportation, because a taxi isn't public transportation

it's not moot in determining whether or not you hate poor people tho comrade :commissar:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

just fly to the airport... that’s what they’re for ya dingus!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

it's not moot in determining whether or not you hate poor people tho comrade :commissar:
I don't really get the impression that taxi drivers and lyft drivers are in significantly different income brackets

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wonder how many airports still have uber drivers hugging their fares at departures to avoid being ticketed

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

quote:

Leaving the Andreessen Horowitz party, and unable to get a car in the pouring rain, Chris Messina and his friends found a creative solution. Messina, a well-known tech figure who until recently was an executive at Uber, hopped in a taxi that turned out to be occupied. The passenger, sitting shotgun, graciously allowed the group to squeeze in the back. It became a carpool, or as Messina declared, a makeshift UberPool.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
goddamnit i was just looking for that quote i was certain they referred to this novel creation as an "impromptu uberpool"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jesus fuckin christ

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

m8

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

in college I went to an Amazon presentation trying to get CS majors to apply and the guy straight up said they weren't automating fulfillment centers because they'd have to build capacity for the Xmas rush that would go unused most of the year so it was just cheaper to hire temps as part of his regular presentation with a slide deck and everything

it was pretty revealing at the time and has only become more so in hindsight

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goddamnit i was just looking for that quote i was certain they referred to this novel creation as an "impromptu uberpool"
yeah, I remembered it as an “ad hoc uberpool”but i think we can all agree that it’s a brilliant idea

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkeymon posted:

in college I went to an Amazon presentation trying to get CS majors to apply and the guy straight up said they weren't automating fulfillment centers because they'd have to build capacity for the Xmas rush that would go unused most of the year so it was just cheaper to hire temps as part of his regular presentation with a slide deck and everything

it was pretty revealing at the time and has only become more so in hindsight

uh, pretty sure this guy was full of poo poo, because all robots have speed dials that you can crank up for short periods of time (e.g. christmas).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a four loko power hour as an amazon picker would be amazing

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

President Beep posted:

uh, pretty sure this guy was full of poo poo, because all robots have speed dials that you can crank up for short periods of time (e.g. christmas).

ah, the lucy setting

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
now I’m imagining a robot and its friend cramming boxes in their grills.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

the saddest part is the last sentence

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

KidVanguard posted:

the saddest part is the last sentence

he loved big bezos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
plug my rear end full of bezodiazapam

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I don't really get the impression that taxi drivers and lyft drivers are in significantly different income brackets

that's not the point, one of them is a large corporation part of an even larger coalition of corporations that's actively trying (and succeeding) to limit their drivers' rights as employees at every level of government under the banner of enabling the new economy. cab companies aren't exactly great either but they don't have anywhere near the kind of clout or the veneer of trendy high-tech whiteness as lyft et al has

put it another way, taxis weren't the ones who got my state government to enthusiastically pass a law removing my city government's ability to regulate transportation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this seems like the sort of thing New York’s Department of Labor would find interesting, between the “unpaid intern expected to do mission-critical work” and the “no women or homosexuals” violations both being present right in the ad text

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

i really hope he gets cryonically frozen when he dies from a blood clot due to vampirism and then have it somehow actually work and he wakes up in the far future to see a bunch of strange mixed-race people speaking a language he can't understand that kinda-sorta sounds like english and all his money is worthless and what few skills he has aren't at all useful because he's basically the equivalent of a trebuchet mechanic

don’t forget everyone living in glorious fully automated luxury space communism

where he’ll be permanently on the dole due to his lack of ability to understand more than the barest minimum anything going on around him, thanks to not growing up with the cybernetic implants that make it all possible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

this seems like the sort of thing New York’s Department of Labor would find interesting, between the “unpaid intern expected to do mission-critical work” and the “no women or homosexuals” violations both being present right in the ad text

what do you mean, we clearly said it's fine to be any of the three sexualities currently known to modern science: gay, straight, or hate

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How the gently caress isn't it most cost-effective to have a robot arm do that poo poo if you're planning on running a sensor array for every single bin

Our trainers regaled us with tales of unruly robots. They told us how one robot had tried to drag a worker’s stepladder away. Occasionally, I was told, two Kivas—each carrying a tower of merchandise—collided like drunken European soccer fans bumping chests. And in April of that year, the Haslet fire department responded to an accident at the warehouse involving a can of “bear repellent” (basically industrial-grade pepper spray). According to fire department records, the can of repellent was run over by a Kiva and the warehouse had to be evacuated; eight workers were treated for injuries and one was taken to the hospital. Amazon, for its part, says it “can find no record of an employee being taken by ambulance right after the incident.”

One Camper­Force worker, a white-haired septuagenarian, told me that she was on the verge of quitting because she found the robots so maddening. The Kivas kept bringing her the same shelf to scan. After it happened to her three times, the shelf began going to her husband, who was working 25 feet away. He got it six times. She told me this outside the break room, as we walked past a cheerful-looking member of the cleaning crew. Trailing off from her story, she stared at the worker and demanded, “How’d she get that job? I’d rather do that! I’d rather clean toilets.”

At the start of each of my own shifts, a ponytailed manager in her twenties said “Helloooo, campers!” while her assistant coached us through stretching exercises. Then I spent hours scanning barcodes on whatever the Kivas brought me: everything from gun accessories to dildos (Cloud Nine Delightful Dong). On one occasion, a Kiva carrying 18 boxes of patchouli incense rolled toward my workstation—and then returned twice more to be ­rescanned. When my shift was over, my coworkers could still smell the incense on me. “Saturday Night Fever!” exclaimed a retired minister.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

i really don't get how some of you are mystified as to why people would want a car to drive for them

why would you want a car that drives itself if you could take a train instead

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

if you make the cars really big they can carry even more passengers, further reducing the total number of cars

at that point they’ll probably be serving a lot of the same points regularly so you could make them run a fixed route too

and for additional convenience you could put a dedicated right of way in place for that fixed route

and for additional efficiency you could maybe even put in some sort of guides such that the car doesn’t even need to do its own steering along that route, that the route would be “on rails” so to speak

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

why would you want a car that drives itself if you could take a train instead

its at least twice as hard to jack off on a train without people noticing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"challenge mode"