Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of the SA Election and Xenophon, what's some good examples of him being a centrist shitlord I can show to MrsMachineGun? She usually votes green but she likes ol' Nick and is saying she'll vote SA Best :(

His wiki alone drops these goodies:

quote:

Xenophon has also taken a strong stance against wind turbines and co-sponsored with John Madigan legislation to restrict Government subsidies for wind farms. Xenophon's concerns about wind turbines are predominantly related to anecdotal evidence of health problems and the reliability of wind-sourced power.[26][27]

The scientific evidence shows that low frequency noise does affect brain activity and can severely affect people's sleep patterns...The problem with wind energy is that it can never replace coal powered energy because it's not reliable enough for base-load power. The billions being spent on wind energy take away from investment in base-load renewable energies such as geothermal and tidal energy. Senator Nick Xenophon, Media Release, 2 August 2012.

quote:

In 1998, Xenophon voted with Cameron and the government to proceed with the second reading of the ETSA power sale bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton says the public should help select judges and magistrates in state courts, leaving the door open to the direct election of judges.

Mr Dutton has been a vocal crusader against "pathetically weak" bail and sentencing decisions made by the courts, particularly in relation to gang violence in Victoria.

I know I want my legal system to copy America's.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
He also voted yes on reintroducing the ABCC and is thus culpable in industrial manslaughter

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of the SA Election and Xenophon, what's some good examples of him being a centrist shitlord I can show to MrsMachineGun? She usually votes green but she likes ol' Nick and is saying she'll vote SA Best :(

His Senate voting record is pretty easy to find, and will show you that he votes with the Liberals more than anyone other than PHON, Lionhat and Family Worst, who all vote with the govt around 95-100% of the time. He's way way to the right of Labor the only place it counts - which is where he puts his vote come division time. He talks like he's some progressive solution to SA's woes, but he's just another neoliberal shitstain.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Great, I think the Senate voting thing will convince her - cheers!

Senor Tron posted:

His wiki alone drops these goodies:

For gently caress's sake, this stuff is straight up quackery

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Just imagine loving up as much as David Feeney.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mad Katter posted:

I mean cast your mind back to the constant fuckups by Abbott Govt ministers between 2013 and 2016 and Feeney wouldn't even make the radar.

I think Turnbull's chief achievement will be, excluding the citizenship debacle, his ability to keep the Federal Liberal party room from blundering into a forced resignation every couple weeks.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Liberals have just confirmed they won't be running a candidate in Batman.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/a-company-charging-migrants-for-unpaid-job-trials-called-a

quote:

A recruitment company that charges students and migrants up to $1,870 for unpaid job trials and internships cold-called Australia's top union body to offer it free labour.
Budding Talents Recruitment has been active since 2007 and recruits students, graduates, visa holders and skilled migrants for unpaid and paid work in fields such as accounting, engineering, human resources management, and information technology.
It charges people from $1,650 to $1,870 for unpaid internship placements at various partner companies, and $1,000 for a placement labelled the "Prove Your Skills Internship" that Budding Talents founder Ryan Shrestha confirmed to BuzzFeed News operates as a month-long unpaid job trial.
Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) secretary Sally McManus said the union's call centre had received a call from Budding Talents, which is also known as Study and Work, on Friday morning advertising its services.
"I imagine they called a lot of places not realising who the hell they were," McManus told BuzzFeed News. "Pretty unlucky, I’d say."
The phone call prompted union officials to scrutinise the company, and call into question the practice of third party recruitment companies advertising unpaid interns.
McManus slammed Budding Talents for advertising on its website that it sources "PHDs" for companies, described as "Poor, hungry and driven people who are: Poor in terms of knowledge and are constantly searching to learn more. Hungry with a tremendous desire to succeed. Driven to pursue set goals with hard work & dedication."
"They’re advertising these people for free," McManus said. "They’re telling vulnerable people on student visas who probably don’t understand what their rights are that they can get jobs and it’s somehow legal to work for free, and secondly, it’s the worst form of wage theft, where you’re being paid nothing."
Founder Ryan Shrestha said "We might have, yeah" when asked if Budding Talents had cold-called the ACTU.
"We just randomly call companies who we think could be benefiting from our services," he said.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I remember recently Xenophon sold his vote on the corporate tax cut in exchange for a one-time payment of seventy-five dollars to people on welfare to "help with power bills"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The ACTU used to use Work Partners labour hire to cold call union members about elections.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

The ACTU used to use Work Partners labour hire to cold call union members about elections.

Was this during the Dave Oliver years by any chance

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think Caleb Bond owns any bitcoins?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Was this during the Dave Oliver years by any chance

You win a prize.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No because that would involve him having some sort of value

JBP posted:

You win a prize.

Oliver, Danby and Feeney should start a pub 3-piece called the Worthless Pieces of poo poo IMO.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Caleb Bond: Bitcoin enthusiast *image of him holding a dogecoin*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but isn't he largely challenging Lib seats?

He is, but right now there's a bit of apathy floating around because the ALP has been in power for 16 years. Starting to feel like they'll lose and give the Libs government by default, because of idiots voting change for the sake of change, along with a series of redistributions further in the Libs favour because their strategy of winning walled off white boomer enclaves a small number of seats by a lot while being non-competitive in most seats isn't a winning strategy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So that chef who assaulted someone at a football game had his conviction overturned because he was losing money

If you are rich, it’s fine to assault plebeians

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Recoome posted:

So that chef who assaulted someone at a football game had his conviction overturned because he was losing money

If you are rich, it’s fine to assault plebeians

I'm sure all his employees who lost money because he scammed them over penalty rates are supportive

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It’s okay, he’s of “exceptional character”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bandaid.friend posted:

Oh, I think this is pretty much what I said earlier regarding the vegan thing. I don't like it when the thing I said before, is now the thing someone is saying to me

1) Generally speaking yeah I agree on the importance of making a message and keeping a tone that's easy to agree with and difficult to distort or attack
2) Specifically speaking I feel uncomfortable saying a black woman who expressed anguish over colonialism, genocide and continuing oppressing in her own words was wrong to do so
3) Now that the message has been said, and the right are choosing to focus on the tone instead of the message, I feel it's more important to side with the person news corp are trying to bully into silence, instead of being angry at her too, because then I'm joining the pressure on her not to speak again

I don't think it really matters who she is or what colour she is. I totally understand that there is a lot of anger and resentment among first Australians over this. But if she or anyone else can't keep that in check while being the public face of a protest movement then they have no business getting up on stage. Channel that anger and passion into organising or ding something behind the scenes where it can't inadvertently be used by the enemies of the movement. It shits me to tears that so just about every decent cause gets hamstrung by association with poo poo like this or a bunch of scruffy, unwashed trots wearing "gently caress [name]" T shirts or anarchists starting fights with the cops.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Keep up the good work ASIO.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zenithe posted:

ASIO went in moved all the documents out of the filing cabinets and into some secure safes they brought with them to the ABC, so they couldn't be stolen by every Tom, Wang, or Vlad, and then left them there for the journalists to continue to access, until the government and the ABC finish whatever debate they're having behind closed doors.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 1, 2018

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lid posted:

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton says the public should help select judges and magistrates in state courts, leaving the door open to the direct election of judges.

Mr Dutton has been a vocal crusader against "pathetically weak" bail and sentencing decisions made by the courts, particularly in relation to gang violence in Victoria.

I know I want my legal system to copy America's.

Why don't we start instead with direct election of FWC and Administrative Appeals commissioners? Oh no, those are plum spots reserved for failed politicians and IPA shills.

In all seriousness, spots like those should have some scrutiny, maybe Senate confirmable?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't think it really matters who she is or what colour she is. I totally understand that there is a lot of anger and resentment among first Australians over this. But if she or anyone else can't keep that in check while being the public face of a protest movement then they have no business getting up on stage. Channel that anger and passion into organising or ding something behind the scenes where it can't inadvertently be used by the enemies of the movement. It shits me to tears that so just about every decent cause gets hamstrung by association with poo poo like this or a bunch of scruffy, unwashed trots wearing "gently caress [name]" T shirts or anarchists starting fights with the cops.

I think it's important Aboriginal Australians are the ones who have the right to set the message on Aboriginal issues, especially considering Australia's history of denying them self-determination. I'm a member of the oppressing class, here, jumping on her for saying something I don't like is joining news corp's dogpile, which is exactly what they want

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-02/craig-mclachlan-files-for-defamation-against-abc-fairfax/9387104

quote:

The Gold-Logie-winning actor has engaged barrister Stuart Littlemore QC and lodged a statement of claim in the New South Wales Supreme Court.

Nooooo Stuart! How could you turn on your mother TV station? I hope he wins

bandaid.friend posted:

I think it's important Aboriginal Australians are the ones who have the right to set the message on Aboriginal issues, especially considering Australia's history of denying them self-determination. I'm a member of the oppressing class, here, jumping on her for saying something I don't like is joining news corp's dogpile, which is exactly what they want

And they keep pulling poo poo like this because they know the left will turn on itself under the slightest pressure. We're really our own worst enemies.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zenithe posted:

Watching the Project before the cricket last night was amazing. They had Lib MP Craig Kelly on, who was pretty much saying "instead of publishing this OUR (he'd put the emphasis on) ABC should have handed these documents back to the government."

Mmmm yes, please censor that journalism Craig, L O loving L

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

NTRabbit posted:

ASIO went in moved all the documents out of the filing cabinets and into some secure safes they brought with them to the ABC, so they couldn't be stolen by every Tom, Wang, or Vlad, and then left them there for the journalists to continue to access, until the government and the ABC finish whatever debate they're having behind closed doors.

that sounds surprisingly nuanced for ASIO in 2018

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Chips posted:

that sounds surprisingly nuanced for ASIO in 2018

It is ASIO not the AFP

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

bandaid.friend posted:

I think it's important Aboriginal Australians are the ones who have the right to set the message on Aboriginal issues, especially considering Australia's history of denying them self-determination.

Not picking on you specifically, bandaid, but I think this is a huge problem: the idea that there is a single, unified, indigenous voice. There's no such thing. The issues of indigenous people in Karratha are totally different to the issues in, say, Brunswick. Since it's a Commonwealth power, it all gets treated with the same brush, and ultimately nothing gets done (also because it's just plain not a priority, but that isn't the only issue).

Take alcohol bans, for instance - some communities love them and argue the results speak for themselves. Other communities see them as patronising and denying self-determination. There's no single right answer, and one way or the other you're making your own value judgement.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

gay picnic defence posted:

Hysterical women of colour, whatever "anarchists starting fights with cops" means and the gently caress word, what have the loony left become

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I send people home from pickets if they wear poo poo like that or carry on like fuckheads. Namaste.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In the same way I scream at and then throw a hi vis over someone that turns up to a termination meeting with their Muslim boss wearing an Aussie Infidel t shirt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

In the same way I scream at and then throw a hi vis over someone that turns up to a termination meeting with their Muslim boss wearing an Aussie Infidel t shirt.

You should have just terminated them instead.

"Consider this a firing"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Then where were you?! Could have saved us from her and the cool things she said

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't care what people do at their own thing but when I watched it I was like haha this will win friends and influence peons.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP, your job sounds alternately horrifying and rewarding. Hope it’s not wearing you down!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Like the punter at home "good on these indigenous having a go... wait what did she say... b, b, b, but, I'm Australian!?" :qq:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dude McAwesome posted:

JBP, your job sounds alternately horrifying and rewarding. Hope it’s not wearing you down!

I did that stuff for 7 years but now I do something more chill bc it breaks your brain eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

I did that stuff for 7 years but now I do something more chill bc it breaks your brain eventually.

Yeah that sounds like a pretty full on job.

Good call on getting out before it turned you crazy.

• Locked thread