Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I honestly loved the episode. Penny is the best character anyway, so it didn't hurt to dwell with him all episode. Bonus for remembering the Mar-golem and the best scene all episode.

Show needs more Josh, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuckkk I need next week's episode stat! :f5:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cochise posted:

That episode needed more Margo. She's the best. :allears:

I would have settled for Penny inhabiting the Margolem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was a fun episode. Definitely helped by focusing on the most likable character. Somehow it was hilarious to see Penny realize no one loves him... or isn't sure if they do because he was always a dick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing that bothered me about the episode was Penny's weird tie knot.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Loved the ending. After a whole episode of trying to communicate and various people holding the key, the only person who didn’t know Penny was dead is like “sup dude”. And just after it was too late to deal with his body situation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The entire cast is just so good except for Quentin.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think it’s intentional. Quentin sucks.

Season 2 opened with him racing to save his friends, selling his blood and everything. Quentin already assumed most of them were perma-dead and wasn’t even sure what he was going to do to help.

He bumps into them and they’re fine, Alice fixed it, nobody is dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just not impressed with him. In season one I expected Margot to be the worst and holy poo poo was I ever wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's very much the weak link of the show, and by now even Julia is really recovering from the mountain of trauma she suffered through and adjusting more. They seem to have leaned into that a bit and mock Q a little but like every Quentin/Alice scene is just rough.

Margo and Elliot were in real danger of getting horrible for awhile in S1 but the whole Fillory thing has saved them by being the thing they both embrace as their life's meaning so they don't have to be destructive alcoholics anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

they don't have to be destructive alcoholics anymore.

Whoooooa.

They can do both.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As long as they're doing it for fun and relaxation and not to numb the empty feeling inside them and the fear of having no idea what to do with their lives.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Only question on this episode is why they kept Julia's actual bit of magic a secret. If the ex dean knew all the school's funding and such was at stake, seems to make sense that they might as well feed the investors a tiny sliver. No big deal, just struck me as weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She had to hide it since she was the one who had to actually use the magic to find the key.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, like, this is The Magicians. There's no guarantee that a group of desperate people wouldn't try to vivisect her to work out why her magic still works.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, good points. I am naive and expect the best from people, but perhaps someone who is using the last dregs of magic to work their martini machine should not be trusted with the knowledge of a fresh source.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SLOSifl posted:

Loved the ending. After a whole episode of trying to communicate and various people holding the key, the only person who didn’t know Penny was dead is like “sup dude”. And just after it was too late to deal with his body situation.

I wonder if they'll just make a new fake body for him to inhabit, but without magic. Just carve it out of wood or something. A sort of Margolem-esque Penn-occhio, if you will.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if they'll just make a new fake body for him to inhabit, but without magic. Just carve it out of wood or something. A sort of Margolem-esque Penn-occhio, if you will.

Obvious solution.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, like, this is The Magicians. There's no guarantee that a group of desperate people wouldn't try to vivisect her to work out why her magic still works.

Or that the fairies are on earth and probably now on their trail. Or the fairies in the investor's house are held there by magic and it will only be a bit of time before they're free.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Penn-occhio, if you will.

:frogout:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loved the dad ghost arguing with him that Penny was not a real name.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, good points. I am naive and expect the best from people, but perhaps someone who is using the last dregs of magic to work their martini machine should not be trusted with the knowledge of a fresh source.

Think back a few episodes when they went looking for a god and Julia showed Josh her magic because he was depressed. Quentin said she can't do that because there would be people who would do anything to get their hands on magic again. So its probably safe to assume that they just didn't trust the random lady and maybe the Dean even advised them that they shouldn't. Or does the Dean actually know Julia can do magic? I've kind of lost track of who knows.

But yeah, the fact that there were fairies in that home who saw her do magic and get the key is probably a really bad omen.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
FFFUUUCCCKKK..... Last week dragged but this week was nuts.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think the dean knows that Julia has magic but he knows that they have a lead on restoring it and is willing to help them.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a great loving episode

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, I think by now the characters have all learned that people are garbage and you should never really reveal any secrets unless absolutely necessary, lest some idiot completely gently caress everything up for no reason. It's a good thing too what with the fairies and all.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The entire cast is just so good except for Quentin.

The Expanse has the exact same problem, a leader who is a cat herding paladin that hates fun.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Woden posted:

The Expanse has the exact same problem, a leader who is a cat herding paladin that hates fun.

Magicians seems to have figured that out this season. “As a man born in 1902, I relate with the white male protagonist,” and all. But it would be nice for them now to figure out something do with Quentin “the most useless person on this or any world” Coldwater.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Isn't that sort of the Quentin character in the books. They kind of ruined his story arch by saving Alice so early.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He can stick around, just push Elliot and Josh to the front.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Q is a good character, he's chronically depressed. But, he's had a bad run.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think the dean knows that Julia has magic but he knows that they have a lead on restoring it and is willing to help them.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The Dean knows this crew's history with the Chatwins and Fillory and their significance in all this, so it makes sense for him to just back them when they say they have a lead. He doesn't have a better option.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mortanis posted:

Show needs more Josh, though.

The Vagicians.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

GORDON posted:

The Vagicians.

Don't doxx me.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That cliffhanger was excellent

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

He doesn't have a better option.

He could get drunk.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't believe some of you have watched all the way to the present but have only started to get the joke that underlies every element of Quentin's character now

last episode was the best television i've seen in years

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think everyone gets the basic idea that Quentin thinks he's the prototypical destined hero from one of his stories but he's basically just along for the ride.

Getting the joke just doesn't make him any more tolerable.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NmareBfly posted:

Only question on this episode is why they kept Julia's actual bit of magic a secret. If the ex dean knew all the school's funding and such was at stake, seems to make sense that they might as well feed the investors a tiny sliver. No big deal, just struck me as weird.

I agree with everyone else that in this universe if that was public knowledge there's no way she'd not be chained up in someone's basement or strapped to a medical table somewhere in 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SLOSifl posted:

The show knew precisely when to cut. Ending the episode right there was a great punchline.

ED: I bet he ends up with a golem body.