Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

The company that installed the traffic cameras in Phoenix was caught doing exactly this, FYI.

JB50 posted:

Red light cameras were ruled unconstitutional in my state. Due process and all that.

Minnesota supremacy.

Privatising government functions (being surprised when they turn into a clusterfuck) and ruling taxes unconstitutional are the most American things.

In South Australia, red light cameras only activate for people who enter an intersection more than half a second after the light has turned red. I used to run the office of a sign installation company, and every now and then I'd receive a letter from the police with a happy snap of one of our vehicles, along with instructions on how to fill out a statutory declaration if we wanted to dispute who was driving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/XToPmsg.mp4

doot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

I was kinda hoping it would keep going and roll bottom up

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hoping it would crush the car or split open.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

look at this man

LOOK
A true hero.

But how do the cameras work in places where you don't have front plates?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

A true hero.

But how do the cameras work in places where you don't have front plates?

Take a photo of the back of the car instead?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pissflaps posted:

Take a photo of the back of the car instead?

Hobnob posted:

The way the law was written in Phoenix the driver's face had to be visible in the photo to count, so for a while there was a guy deliberately running red lights while wearing a gorilla mask

I’m guessing that places that want the driver’s face would take that in to account.

I like the car that lurches forward a foot like "Gotta get away from tha- oh right, traffic."

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Sagebrush posted:

The state ended up hiring private detectives to try and get a photo of the gorilla mask guy getting into his car with the mask off. They spent something like $50,000 on the investigation and still didn't manage to capture any useful evidence.

Monkey mask man: https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ckets/97447212/

Judging by a follow up article, he was found guilty on at least several instances: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/19/nation/la-na-traffic-cameras20-2010feb20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Coming from SC where all yellow lights are timed to 8 seconds, I absolutely love having the sure knowledge that yellow means 2s slam the brakes everywhere else. We make it ambiguous on purpose because ???

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I thought water was going to gush everywhere.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Say Nothing posted:

Meanwhile, across from my parent's house...

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/burnside-blaze-100-homes-evacuated-overnight

Record high temperatures and high winds aren't a good combination when it comes to fire.
Fortunately, it's raining now.

Thanks to your link, I now know what a 'scarfie' is, and that Kiwis are way more normal about posting nudity in news content. :kiwi:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mozi posted:

At that point might as well just walk the motorcycle across the pedestrian crossing.

I've done that. Roll up to a red light with a turn arrow, nothing through two cycles of green, get off and push it through the pedestrian crossing.

I've also been stuck behind someone at a turn arrow who didn't pull their car up enough to activate the sensor. gently caress knows how long we would have sat there if I didn't get out and ask them politely to move up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
xpost from the cute thread

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hobnob posted:

The way the law was written in Phoenix the driver's face had to be visible in the photo to count, so for a while there was a guy deliberately running red lights while wearing a gorilla mask.

I'm amazed they even cared who was driving as long as they could find someone to bill.

I got an automated red light ticket once. Yes, I admit, I did not quite come to a full and complete stop before making that right turn on red at one in the morning on a Tuesday on a wide, brightly lit road in perfect weather with no traffic visible anywhere. It was more of a genuflect than a complete stop. I'm a hardened criminal.

Anyway, the ticket that came in the mail specifically said that it just went to the owner of the car and "But I wasn't the one driving" is not a valid defense. In fact, the only valid defense is if you have a police report saying that the car had been stolen before the event. If you like, you can show up at the "hearing" which is in front of a minor city hall functionary and not a judge, and the only two things you can do there are pay the ticket or present the police report saying the car was stolen. There's no such thing as a not guilty plea, as this is more of a "bill" than a "violation", but if you don't pay we'll still get the state to suspend your license. If fighting it sounds perfectly pointless (as it's intended), you can pay up at the city's webpage and get them off your back. All major credit cards accepted.

I didn't really mind paying the hundred bucks (I did, after all, just barely break the law), but the brazen naked greed of how they structured the thing pissed me off. At least give me the illusion of due process, okay?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I used to "powernap" during my morning break at work, like 15 mins. Usually someone would wake me up when it was time to get back to work. One day, when it had been raining heavily all week, I overslept because they had an emergency meeting while I was napping and sent everyone home before the flood waters blocked all the roads home. So when I woke up about 1 in the afternoon my car was the only one left in the car park out of about 200 cars that usually parked there. Good thing the culture the was pretty laid back because security weren't too worried that I was wandering out of the giant workshop hours after everyone else had vacated.

The roads also thankfully weren't flooded yet.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

look at this man

LOOK

The row of "teeth" in the lower grill is the icing on top
:troll:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
It's nice that the hotlinked photo in this article is scaled perfectly for the cursor to flip a bird.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Am I remembering correctly that motorway cameras in the UK calculate average speed between cameras to give you a ticket?

We have both average speed cameras and instantaneous speed cameras. Also the police have speed cameras. Also some roadworks have speed cameras too. And red light cameras. These are just the road related cameras in the most surveilled country in the world.

I used to hate the average speed cameras on the A9 but it turns out you can still do 65mph on single carriageway and 75-80 on dual and not get a ticket.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mistle posted:

Driving definitely needs a competency test to participate, is what I'm getting at.

It does :confused:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Drive around the block once and do a three point turn" is hardly a competency test.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Budgie posted:

We have both average speed cameras and instantaneous speed cameras. Also the police have speed cameras. Also some roadworks have speed cameras too. And red light cameras. These are just the road related cameras in the most surveilled country in the world.

I used to hate the average speed cameras on the A9 but it turns out you can still do 65mph on single carriageway and 75-80 on dual and not get a ticket.

M1 managed section the cameras are apparently going to be on full time too. Twats. I've always suspected the M6 managed section were on full time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

"Drive around the block once and do a three point turn" is hardly a competency test.

I can't help it if you live in a failed state without competent, standardized driving tests :shrug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't, but from reading the forums I've learned there are places in the US where you basically get your license as a cereal box prize. :v:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't, but from reading the forums I've learned there are places in the US where you basically get your license as a cereal box prize. :v:

ND also has a ridiculously low age for getting a license if you have the slightest of farm job duties. So we have 14 year old children driving farm trucks in the rural areas thanks to child labor (that rarely has appropriate pay or taxes cause it's a 'poor' family farm that only has a few multi million dollar tractors).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

those people are awfully close

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shame on an IGA posted:

We make it ambiguous on purpose because ???

Red light tickets are good money. Note that yellows tend to get shorter at intersections with cameras. It's not about safety, it's about revenue. Standardized yellow length plus a short all-red interval would do infinitely more for safety at basically zero cost, but instead pretty much every state at this point has had their legislature and/or Supreme Court end up having to do something about cities abusing cameras because the cities want to write tickets.

My driver's ed instructor told me when I was learning that yellow lights were timed to the length of the solid lines for the lanes at the intersection, as in if you were traveling the appropriate speed for the road and were within the solid line area when the light turns you'll clear the intersection just fine. Obviously that turned out to not be true, but I still really like the idea and wish it were true. Personally I'm all for the idea of a countdown timer, but that idea's been brought up in the traffic engineering thread a few times with good reasons why it's not done.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Checkmate

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

wolrah posted:

Personally I'm all for the idea of a countdown timer, but that idea's been brought up in the traffic engineering thread a few times with good reasons why it's not done.

I live in Turkey and they have them here, can you briefly elaborate or link the posts explaining why they’re a bad idea? I don’t particularly like them but I’m not sure why.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I live in Turkey and they have them here, can you briefly elaborate or link the posts explaining why they’re a bad idea? I don’t particularly like them but I’m not sure why.

"Pfft, I've got 3 whole seconds to clear the intersection" *guns it to 100kph*

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tickets for red light cameras are something like 90% right turns on red without coming to a full stop. Also incidents of rear end collisions increase at camera intersections as people slam on their brakes at yellow light more often.

More often than not they end up costing more to operate than the revenue they generate. In Orange County they were in nearly all cities at one point and all except one city has ripped them out.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

At a guess - I am not a traffic engineer - people would goddam floor it when the countdown got somewhere below 3 seconds. Just sitting there, staring at that clock, revving the engine and not at all aware of anything else at all going on around them.

3... 2... 1 GOGOGOGOGOGOGO! *crashes into yellow-light runner on crossing street*

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

At a guess - I am not a traffic engineer - people would goddam floor it when the countdown got somewhere below 3 seconds. Just sitting there, staring at that clock, revving the engine and not at all aware of anything else at all going on around them.

3... 2... 1 GOGOGOGOGOGOGO! *crashes into yellow-light runner on crossing street*

Yeah one thing I noticed from this thread is that the guy who gets loving poo poo-hammered by a semi blowing through a light is always the first one in to the intersection

I'm a little easier on the gas coming off a red light, now

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

green means go watch for that loving truck

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Speed cameras are such a scam.

They should standardise the speed limits and put them on big metal signs. Then the only excuse people would have is not being able to count.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/e1km4BY.gifv

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCDW5o7qrg

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Did they really call it a hoverboard?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nerses IV posted:

Yeah one thing I noticed from this thread is that the guy who gets loving poo poo-hammered by a semi blowing through a light is always the first one in to the intersection

I'm a little easier on the gas coming off a red light, now

That's how my sister died, except the dumb bitch running the yellow actually ran the red because she was in a hurry.

None of my friends give me poo poo for pausing and looking before going thru a green at a busy intersection after I tell them why.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Sininu posted:

It's way more of a hoverboard than anything else that's been called a hoverboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sininu posted:

What would you call it?

keep in mind that back to the future is awesome and so are hoverboards