Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh wow the bellroy case for the Pixel 2 is amazingly unintrusive.

hmm. maybe I'll order one of those with my Google store credit since it doesn't seem like the moment case is coming back in stock anytime soon.

what color did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Hey Google set music alarm for 6:00am 'The Lion King - Circle Of Life' max volume."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stevie Lee posted:

hmm. maybe I'll order one of those with my Google store credit since it doesn't seem like the moment case is coming back in stock anytime soon.

what color did you get?

Navy blue, goes nice with the white back on my phone (insofar as what parts remain visible around the cameras and the fingerprint sensor)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

"Hey Google set music alarm for 6:00am 'The Lion King - Circle Of Life' max volume."

omg does this work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This just set an alarm called 'music' for me :saddowns:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's apparently part of an assistant update released today but it likely will need time to roll out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

minusX posted:

Guessing they didn't expect a LOT of people to try to jump on, so who knows. It was working when I first linked it, got taken down, now is under a password. Link is here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/proofofclaim but it says to bug the Author (which is Girard Gibbs LLP)

Seems like only people in the lawsuit are getting money, the rest are getting a 30 month warranty extension.
https://www.girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/

Sucks, because I tried to figure out how to join the lawsuit, but it was confusing and I put it off too long.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Yeah alright, I guess it's not 100% stock Android, but should be close.

No one else on Android 8 has noticed these flashing WiFi arrows? Maybe all other manufacturers customize their OS so much it's far from what I have.

Edit: Here's a discussion on the battery percentage. It appears it only now with 8 became truly stock to be able to show battery percentage, but their implementation is half-assed. Dear Lord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6cetq5/android_o_allows_you_to_display_the_battery/

Google made a big deal when they removed the arrows on why they did it. It removes the need to redraw that area and all the associated poo poo that goes with it. It was sold as a battery savings measure.

So whatever you're using either turned them back on or added them in.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific. Since upgrading to version 8, the arrows are now to the left of the WiFi beam, and worst of all, only appear when there is activity. When they appear, they push the left-most icons a little to the left, then when there's no WiFi activity, the arrows disappear, and the left-most icons shift back to the right. That's why it's so distracting.

Here's a pic I've made of status bar with activity (the little downwards arrow to the left of the WiFi icon), and without:

Also, with version 7, I had the battery percentage inside the battery icon, now it's to the left of the battery and taking up even more space. What's the drat point, I ask.

Try the System Tuner UI. - On the notfication panel, long hold the gear icon at the bottom until it tells you that System Tuner UI is now enabled in settings. Then play around with the options there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Why the gently caress does Smart Lock keep going blank? Super annoying to ask my phone to do some poo poo and it unhelpfully responds by showing me my a lock screen.

:negative:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It will relock after 4 hours of inactivity or a reboot. Otherwise it may just be janky

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Pilsner posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific. Since upgrading to version 8, the arrows are now to the left of the WiFi beam, and worst of all, only appear when there is activity. When they appear, they push the left-most icons a little to the left, then when there's no WiFi activity, the arrows disappear, and the left-most icons shift back to the right. That's why it's so distracting.

Here's a pic I've made of status bar with activity (the little downwards arrow to the left of the WiFi icon), and without:

Also, with version 7, I had the battery percentage inside the battery icon, now it's to the left of the battery and taking up even more space. What's the drat point, I ask.

Did some googling, looks like Sony Oreo users were invited to the same party:

This app will apparently do the trick if you're familiar with ADB/USB debugging: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keypressure.disable_network_activity_indicator

Failing that you could go nuclear and the Wifi/Network icons completely via UI tuner (Long press the Settings cog in Quick Settings).

Thermopyle posted:

Lol, that's terrible and not stock Android. Of course, there's not really such a thing as stock Android so that last sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

feedmegin posted:

Eh? AOSP is still a thing last I heard, that's literally stock Android.

Not according to the former head of AOSP a couple of years back:

Stock Android is the iOS analog Google target and ship to barely any consumers, AOSP is the derivative.

If you want to get nerdy you can see the concrete proof of Google's categories on a Nexus/Pixel/Android One etc device with ADB:

code:
adb shell pm list features
"Stock Android" = "com.google.android.GOOGLE_EXPERIENCE". There's also "com.google.android.GOOGLE_BUILD" for "maintained/updated by Google" and com.google.android.PIXEL_EXPERIENCE" for "OEM-Google is entirely separate from Android-Google so they need their own thingie too"

FunOne posted:

Google made a big deal when they removed the arrows on why they did it. It removes the need to redraw that area and all the associated poo poo that goes with it. It was sold as a battery savings measure.

So whatever you're using either turned them back on or added them in.

Google actually green-lit the change last year and allowed Sony to push it to AOSP: https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/frameworks/base/+/305789/

From the looks of things the dude who wrote the G+ post about removing the arrows was even one of the reviewers.

Pilsner posted:

Twist: it's Stock Android (GOOGLE_EXPERIENCE) but maintained/updated by Xiaomi (no GOOGLE_BUILD) who didn't think to turn off Sony's new 2017 hell flag which is presumably on by default.

You're definitely getting the Google experience you paid for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blue Train posted:

It will relock after 4 hours of inactivity or a reboot. Otherwise it may just be janky

It's always been janky. I finally got pissed at it when it kept my phone locked at home (where I have it set to unlock), but wouldn't lock my phone for anything at work (where I have NOT set it up to unlock).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

It's always been janky. I finally got pissed at it when it kept my phone locked at home (where I have it set to unlock), but wouldn't lock my phone for anything at work (where I have NOT set it up to unlock).

lol yea this sounds about right. :spergin: but in cyanogenmod you used to be able to do profiles by connected wifi ssid and it was extremely nice

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, just because they call it that, doesn't make it so.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My problem is that Google Voice keeps breaking because every time I say OK Google it starts locking up because it forgets my voice or something

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could try retraining the voice model in the settings

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Right it detects me just fine but the security settings keeps forgetting that my voice is allowed to unlock it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Voice unlock sounds like the most insecure thing ever. All someone has to do is Sneakers you into saying "OK Google".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pilsner posted:

No one else on Android 8 has noticed these flashing WiFi arrows? Maybe all other manufacturers customize their OS so much it's far from what I have.

Edit: Here's a discussion on the battery percentage. It appears it only now with 8 became truly stock to be able to show battery percentage, but their implementation is half-assed. Dear Lord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6cetq5/android_o_allows_you_to_display_the_battery/

My dude just install xposed and gravitybox and you can do whatever the hell you want with battery icons and anything in the status bar. I have the goddamn day of the week in mine. And it's all stuff that's part of the Android OS (Google just hides it, gravitybox exposes it) so there aren't even any apps running in the background to do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wasabi the J posted:

My problem is that Google Voice keeps breaking because every time I say OK Google it starts locking up because it forgets my voice or something

Google Voice is something different!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Google Voice is something different!

I couldn't understand what he was talking about with Google Voice until Blue Train replied.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My dude just install xposed and gravitybox and you can do whatever the hell you want with battery icons and anything in the status bar. I have the goddamn day of the week in mine. And it's all stuff that's part of the Android OS (Google just hides it, gravitybox exposes it) so there aren't even any apps running in the background to do it.

LMAO

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does anyone know why some of my app updates makes me press on the "update" button when I have it set to automatically update at all times? I'm on a Moto G5 Plus but I saw this same behavior on my Nexus 6.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pretty sure the only time mine needs manual attention beyond plugging it in to charge is if an app has new/changed permissions.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So what i gathered from this thread so far is that specs are the most important thing on a phone right?
Boy do i have the phone for you:
http://www.techradar.com/news/vivo-xplay-7-to-come-with-10gb-of-ram-in-2018

10 GB of RAM, 4K Display, 512 GB Storage, Snapdragon 845
SPECS!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Pilsner posted:

It's not on my Pixel 2 XL, and it wasn't on my Nexus 6P on either 8.0 or 8.1

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Similarly to your wifi problem, I recently switched providers and now get whatever the moto g5+ calls 4G+

The problem is sometimes the reception fluctuates wildly between 4g and 4g+. This wouldn't be a problem if a) it didn't instantly reflect the change leading to the icon flashing 10 times a second for a bit and b) both 4g and 4g+ were the same width. Instead it causes everything to the right to move, including the wifi, alarm, vibrate and dnd icons.

I would record it for your amusement but I'm too lazy

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

:lol: Sony even pulled the wifi status icon itself from Jellybean

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I love when my header bar dances like a rave party

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Has something changed recently in regards to how apps are managed/closed by Android (Pixel 1, 8.1, 1/5/18 patch, Fi)?

For the past year+ I've been using a combination of Spotify and podcasting apps (current Pocket Casts) to listen to stuff via headphones, bluetooth in my car, and a group of 3 Vizio chromecast-enabled speakers. All apps I've used, to varying degrees, have been pretty flaky when it comes to transitioning from one network to another (for example, when I drive home from work and my phone connects to wifi). Often times, even after being connected to wifi for several minutes etc, Spotify/etc... isn't able to see any of the "castable" devices. Similarly, I'll be playing something at home and my phone will desynchronize and will be unable to reconnect to the devices that are playing.

In the past I've been able to ignore these sorts of issues because there were easy workarounds. In general, if I used the square button and closed the Spotify/all/etc app and then reopened it, things refreshed and everything would work perfectly. This trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

Pocket Casts, in particular, is unkillable. Although it's generally more stable than Spotify, it sometimes has some of the same problems. However, the player-control notification can't be dismissed from the notification tray, even if you've killed the app. When you start Pocket Casts back up, it resumes its broken/frozen state. Last night I was only able to fix things by restarting my phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Did the webview update recently and change how underlines are rendered? Letters with descenders are splitting underlines. I don't remember it doing this before and it's bugging me.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah that's how typography usually works with underlines. I guess they made that a default or something. Happens all over for me now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/news/73088-two-hong-kong-apple-store-staff-taken-hospital.html

Remember to upgrade your phones, I guess.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vagrancy posted:

This app will apparently do the trick if you're familiar with ADB/USB debugging: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keypressure.disable_network_activity_indicator
I ended up using this app you linked (along with its required ADB command). Worked immediately, thanks!

I'm a bit on the fence about installing Xposed and such, so this will have to do for now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm getting a weird issue here and I'm not sure what it is.

See the notification at the bottom and the toggle switch? Something is wrong with the rendering but I'm not sure from what...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 2, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any of those 500 notifications on the left do application overlays?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently got a MacBook Pro at work. Would it be bad to charge my Pixel 1 with that charger?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hooah posted:

I recently got a MacBook Pro at work. Would it be bad to charge my Pixel 1 with that charger?
Look at the label with technical info on the MacBook Pro charger. The OUTPUT voltage must be very close to 5V (Volt), the output effect (Ampere, A) does not matter - the higher the better, although most phones won't benefit from more than 2 or 3 Ampere.

Without knowing the specifics, I imagine the MacBook Pro charger outputs somewhere between 15 and 20 V, so unless it has a special 5V output for phones and other low-power USB devices, I would not connect it to your phone.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Any of those 500 notifications on the left do application overlays?

I think maybe it was a setting in Twilight (screen tint like f.lux). I fixed it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

It supports USB-PD so it will work. You can install Ampere to see the charge rate.