Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I've been following this team for so long I forgot that there's a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Washington is so bad. Dan Snyder will always ruin the team. At least a fine VT player gets to escape that mess and go play for a winning organization.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Notorious ZSB posted:

a winning organization.

:confused:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I think that Kirk genuinely wanted out and that no amount of money would have motivated him to sign with this dysfunctional-rear end franchise at this point. Which is not to say that you're wrong, he was forced out acrimoniously, it's just that the actual bulk of that was done years ago when they failed to sign him to a long term deal and openly attempted to tank his value in public. What we're seeing now is just the consequences of that behavior on a delay.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ego symphonic posted:

I think that Kirk genuinely wanted out and that no amount of money would have motivated him to sign with this dysfunctional-rear end franchise at this point. Which is not to say that you're wrong, he was forced out acrimoniously, it's just that the actual bulk of that was done years ago when they failed to sign him to a long term deal and openly attempted to tank his value in public. What we're seeing now is just the consequences of that behavior on a delay.

We're not talking about ancient history here--Washington could have easily gotten away with franchising Cousins the first time. Hell, it was hard to blame them for being skeptical. But literally it was this past offseason where they lowballed him with a poo poo offer, then leaked fake details about it to the press and poo poo on him publicly, calling him by the wrong name. It was less than a year ago that they did that. While we can't know how bad it was coming into the offseason, I'd bet good money that their relationship with Cousins was perfectly salvageable before that happened.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ego symphonic posted:

It's a perfect example of how petty this front office is. It's no different from how they kicked out McCloughan with a smear job, failed to tell Fuller he was being traded, or any number of other examples. Meanwhile Kirk has remained a consummate professional, saying all the right things in public while watching Snyder and Allen trip over themselves with every turn of events. It's a clownshoes clusterfuck of an organization.

EDIT:

TheChirurgeon posted:

We're not talking about ancient history here--Washington could have easily gotten away with franchising Cousins the first time. Hell, it was hard to blame them for being skeptical. But literally it was this past offseason where they lowballed him with a poo poo offer, then leaked fake details about it to the press and poo poo on him publicly, calling him by the wrong name. It was less than a year ago that they did that. While we can't know how bad it was coming into the offseason, I'd bet good money that their relationship with Cousins was perfectly salvageable before that happened.

I'm inclined to agree. By all accounts Kirk's a fairly loyal guy (he accepted a lower offer from one sports radio station over another because WFAN was with him from the start), but Allen and Snyder dramatically underestimated the value of an even an average QB. At worst Kirk is that, and frankly I consider him top 10. It's pretty damning of their scouting department that after years of tape and starts they didn't have enough confidence to know he was worth investing in. They're loving incompetent.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 31, 2018

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a perfect example of how petty this front office is. It's no different from how they kicked out McCloughan with a smear job, failed to tell Fuller he was being traded, or any number of other examples. Meanwhile Kirk has remained a consummate professional, saying all the right things in public while watching Snyder and Allen trip over themselves with every turn of events. It's a clownshoes clusterfuck of an organization.

Yeah Kirk played it perfectly and now gets to choose his team while becoming the highest paid player in history. Good for him, I'm genuinely happy he got out of this hellhole.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

For sure, I more just meant that it wasn’t this trade specifically that forced him out, but rather all of the bullshit that preceded it. This trade is them needing to deal with the fact that Cousins was already gone.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
oh, sure. But it's hilarious that they created a situation where they had to trade for a franchise QB who's older than the one they already had on the roster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is qb age relevant prior to like 38

I'd love to dunk on the Washington team otherwise

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

euphronius posted:

Yes. What the holy gently caress.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

The stats work I've seen suggests that QBs decline significantly after about 14 seasons. Smith just wrapped up his 12th, so there's reason to believe that he'll start declining before the end of his current contract

some guys play very well for way longer, but that's really just the Mannings, Bradys, Breeses, and Favres of the world skewing the sample

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

The stats work I've seen suggests that QBs decline significantly after about 14 seasons. Smith just wrapped up his 12th, so there's reason to believe that he'll start declining before the end of his current contract

some guys play very well for way longer, but that's really just the Mannings, Bradys, Breeses, and Favres of the world skewing the sample

That makes sense the the famous guys would skew the perception

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
1. We’re gonna win.

2. Sorry I haven’t been as big of a part of this thread as usual this season. Got a girlfriend with a 3 year old, so been playing some of Big Poppa 89. Also went back to college.

3. Don’t hardly drink anymore

4. lolz Skins.

5. gently caress the Cowboys and lolz Day Prescott bust. Called it from a million miles away.

6. We’re gonna win.

89 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 31, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sorry but even though we def lost this deal, I'm not mad at all about getting Smith and not handicapping the team with some giant deal for Cousins.

People had us taking a loving rookie QB in round one in the draft and I feared that the most.

See what we get out of Smith. Draft QB later in the draft or go from there next season.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

89 posted:

1. We’re gonna win.

2. Sorry I haven’t been as big of a part of this thread as usual this season. Got a girlfriend with a 3 year old, so been playing some of Big Poppa 89. Also went back to college.

3. Don’t hardly drink anymore

4. lolz Skins.

5. gently caress the Cowboys and lolz Day Prescott bust. Called it from a million miles away.

6. We’re gonna win.

I don't forgive you, we need more homers to make the other 3 fanbases that belong here post even less to assert our dominance

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

euphronius posted:

That makes sense the the famous guys would skew the perception

Romo lasted 13 seasons, Cutler lasted 12, Palmer lasted 15, Roethlisberger lasted 14 but says he wants to do 3 more, Eli is also 14 seasons in and seems to be on his way out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trend of QBs lasting longer, but if Smith lasts five more years I'd say that becomes another outlier.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Man and his dog posted:

Sorry but even though we def lost this deal, I'm not mad at all about getting Smith and not handicapping the team with some giant deal for Cousins.

People had us taking a loving rookie QB in round one in the draft and I feared that the most.

See what we get out of Smith. Draft QB later in the draft or go from there next season.

Isn't this supposed to be one of the stronger rookie classes for quarterbacks?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Projecting QB classes is a fool's errand. Wentz and Goff were considered unholy reaches and, well.

That being said the dumbest thing in all of this is not just hitting the reset button and drafting someone. Take your drat medicine and move on without trading assets.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Swearinger is pissed that Fuller got traded:
https://deadspin.com/washington-safety-d-j-swearinger-is-pissed-about-his-t-1822590769

https://twitter.com/JungleBoi_Swagg/status/958569467440705541

also lol
https://twitter.com/MccloughanScot/status/958564135888809984
https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/958543056088846336

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
RGIII :saddowns:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
been doing some thinking and i hope the eagles win the superbowl imo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Skins ruined RG3

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

nobody cares about you RG3

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

The Skins ruined RG3

And RG3 in turn did his best to ruin the Skins

All in all you can't knock down muck Robert but a decent try ol' bean

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

shyduck posted:

nobody cares about you RG3

I feel bad for him.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can not stop laughing at Washington. Thank you token person for trying to play down this idiotic nonsense so others could get even more mad that someone can even defend it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EDIT:

I'm inclined to agree. By all accounts Kirk's a fairly loyal guy (he accepted a lower offer from one sports radio station over another because WFAN was with him from the start), but Allen and Snyder dramatically underestimated the value of an even an average QB. At worst Kirk is that, and frankly I consider him top 10. It's pretty damning of their scouting department that after years of tape and starts they didn't have enough confidence to know he was worth investing in. They're loving incompetent.

It's hilarious how much better Washington would be if the dumb people in the room just stopped pretending that they were football experts and let people who have even a vague idea of what they're doing do their job. Snyder and Allen thinking this is like video game football and how to be successful they need to have their hands in everything just dooms the team to pathetic results over and over yet they never see that they're the problem.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Washington is still likely to get a 3rd round comp pick for Cousins walking, right? like granted it'll be a year later and a dozen or so spots lower but essentially they just moved down in the 3rd and traded a CB for an interim starter. I know we like to poo poo on Snyder but that doesn't seem like a terrible deal, tbh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

indigi posted:

Washington is still likely to get a 3rd round comp pick for Cousins walking, right? like granted it'll be a year later and a dozen or so spots lower but essentially they just moved down in the 3rd and traded a CB for an interim starter. I know we like to poo poo on Snyder but that doesn't seem like a terrible deal, tbh

It depends on who Washington signs. Your comp picks are based on both who you lose and who you sign in FA

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

KC ain't DC

Skins are a loser organization with Snyder at the helm, at least Reid and the Chiefs actually have some record of being generally not miserable on the field. I understand they haven't won poo poo of note in forever. KC has been a way more stable and successful franchise over the past 15-20 years than DC.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Birds. Outright.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As much as I love Alex Smith, he's probably not going to do well in Washington and that's because Dan Snyder is a terrible owner and has built a completely toxic franchise.

He's not Haslam level bad, but the Washington team is absolutely the browns of the NFC since Snyder bought them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

As much as I love Alex Smith, he's probably not going to do well in Washington and that's because Dan Snyder is a terrible owner and has built a completely toxic franchise.

He's not Haslam level bad, but the Washington team is absolutely the browns of the NFC since Snyder bought them.

And yet they've managed to win the division multiple times and have more than a single winning season.

Which really speaks to how awful the Browns are.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ty1990 posted:

Birds. Outright.

Not emptyquoting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Browns are a factory of sadness. The Redskins are a factory of toxicity.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/955125491895296000

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I hope that Trump stays president long enough for the Eagles to refuse a White House invitation.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles tried to bring Shady home.

quote:

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Eagles attempted to reacquire LeSean McCoy from the Bills in a package centered around Jordan Matthews.

It makes for a fun story, but really nothing else. Ultimately, the Eagles and Bills were able to agree to a deal for Matthews, with the Bills taking the oft-injured wideout in exchange for CB Ronald Darby. In the effort to get McCoy back in Philly, EVP Howie Roseman was attempting to "reverse" ex-coach Chip Kelly's mistakes after Kelly was the one who traded McCoy. The Eagles instead later signed LeGarrette Blount and traded for Jay Ajayi. McCoy, 29, has two years left on his deal. Feb 2 - 9:51 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5168/lesean-mccoy

I would have nutted so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, I hope Shady, Jmac, and Djax all get to sit in the owners box for the SB.

• Locked thread